Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
An re4 remake would probably use the new voice actor and I can't imagine anyone replicating the pitch perfect delivery of the hero joke lines, if they even kept them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never played the original version of RE3. I loved the remake enough to play through in one sitting on launch day. I never touched the multiplayer thing. I was happy with it overall even if I recognize that it should have been a $30 with no multiplayer and probably would have been received better as it is.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder if the RE3 remake was actually intended more for people like me who hadn't played the original version. I basically just know "Jill in the city with Nemesis chasing her and some Umbrella guys" which it delivered, so that there was anything missing largely passed me by other than having read wikis in the past to fill in the story.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How is Revelations 2 solo? I haven't played either of them before. 1 is only solo because it was originally for 3DS, right?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cool, I was interested in playing them but the near mandatory co-op 5 in was a big turn off for me and that kept me from touching any of the others where co-op was involved at all. 6 is more like 5 in that aspect?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As a Nintendo kid who went whose experience with the series went REmake and Zero to 4, 4 was a pretty wild change even if it still felt Resident Evily.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like the relatively short length of the more 'horrory' Resident Evil games because they generally are polished and very tightly designed puzzle boxes. I also only play them at night to try to maximize the effect and so being able to play through them in small handful of 2-4 hour sessions is nice. When I beat 7, I ended up staying up all night because the last section was longer than I thought it would be and the real sun was rising at the same time that the game reached its morning.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 31, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The biggest problem with Zero was that the train was a pretty cool environment but everything after was just a worse, badly designed, frustrating version of the REmake. Other than my first playthrough on the Gamecube and replaying it on the PS4 when I got the double pack, every attempt to replay it ends not long after finishing the train. Why play it when you have RE4 or the REmake in the Gamecube days?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Japanese RE4 has old style camera angles in the Ashley section apparently? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duf2zTBL9_0

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lack of item boxes in RE0 was a misguided attempt to solve complaints about the small inventory size. In practice you can mostly just dump everything in the main hall of the training center and nothing is ever too far away from it.

The bit that makes it really suck is the hookshot. Even if you move it from the train crash to the main hall, when you finally need it again after the bat, the training facility is filled with the monkeys and you have to take a long way around to the main hall that goes through tons of them. You have to know that before you move the observatory tower to shift everything over to it, which you'd have no reason to think to do on a first playthrough.

So you probably fight the bat, lose tons of health and ammo, realize you need the hookshot and then have tons of monkeys to fight through. poo poo sucks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The voice acting in RE4 is a perfect capture of stuff like how Leon is an action movie hero but also a tremendous goober. Taking the RE1 cast and having them deliver lines like "your right hand comes off?" would not have worked the same way, even if it might have had its own charms.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started playing Revelations 1 with the idea to beat it and Revelations 2 before Village comes out. So far it feels scary but also slightly crummy. I know it was originally for 3DS game that's almost a decade old but it is still remarkable how much better RE4 feels still.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

weirdly, the weak point on regular enemies is their giant arm.

Huh, I would have expected they would sign post it. That's what giant eyes are for.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I beat Revelations 1 last night. I liked it. It is a step down from the main series but it starts out genuinely scary, the action feels solid and I like the ship setting. The story isn't great and so the focus on the mystery is a bit weird. The broad strokes make sense but some of the specifics are confusing. It also has a slightly too long epilogue after a cool 'final boss' that leads to a second, cool looking but lovely playing actual final boss.

It also uses the scariest enemy, Rachel, in a weird way. The first fight with her is really tense and scary. Then she just kind of shows up randomly as a super enemy when you feel time pressure? Sort of like Mr. X in the REmake2 but he was cast as less scary and more imposing. Rachel was really scary and it would have been better to not keep using her after the first fight or to work to maintain the horror more.

I'd recommend it to people looking for something else in the series like the RE4-5 experience.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the new demo based on the real game? I played Maiden last night because I realized I hadn't already. I'm not interested in the new demo if it is just regular gameplay from Village since I've already had it preordered for months and don't need to be sold on it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Revelations 2 tonight. It feels like a very radically different game from Rev1. I do appreciate Moira's character after Rev1 though. Everyone in Rev1 was used to dealing with monsters. Moira gives a nice change of pace voice to the 'what the gently caress' that the veteran characters can't.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love how bioterror attacks are just a thing that happen in the RE world. Everyone just coping with that occasionally zombies and monsters show up, they kill tons of people, whatever. Lots of REverse Twitter people saying how you don't need to wear masks outside because you probably won't become a zombie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Haven't most/all of the main protagonists been infected by one or more of the viruses/parasites at this point?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

a foolish pianist posted:

I really like how Ethan's attitude to the whole business is basically "Well, this is a weird, kinda lovely evening."

Wasn't there some implication that Ethan may have been involved in this kind of thing already? It would be funny if that was an intentional performance choice. "God, more loving monsters" and that's why reattaching a leg with a mystery bottle is one of the few things to get to him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Kind of reminds me of how I'm always annoyed and baffled that anyone, let alone Sheva who's in the motherfucking BSAA, needs to be given a rundown on/about Wesker, like Chris does for her in RE5.
Like Raccoon City is easily, in-universe, a worse 9/11. And, hell, Wesker was also tangentially involved with Los Illuminados so it's like 'what if Bin Laden also was later involved in kidnapping the president's daughter.'

Like for the period between CV when it comes out he's still alive and his ultimate death in 5, Wesker should be without a doubt the most infamous and well-known human being (inasmuch as he was human) on the planet.

Did anyone other than Ada and Krauser know that Wesker was involved with the Illuminados event? The real world reason is just that Capcom wanted to get a bigger audience caught up on who Wesker was in case they didn't play the old games. The in universe reason could be that by that point, there were so many random people with bioweapons, that Wesker might not be the most relevant person to every BSAA agent. He's most important to the players and the former STARS members.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Revelations 1 has a note about how Trevor also did the interior of the ship.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Those are actually infected baby bats, Resident Evil 0 is the only time we see an infected adult bat.

Alternatively, bats in the Resident Evil universe are immune to the T-virus, but they're also jerks. The one in Resident Evil was just a giant jerk.

This explains all of the random, non obviously mutated animals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z834x4Qk_pM

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I beat Revelations 2 last night. I ran out of ammo for the boss in the lab because of the previous fight and ended up running around waiting for pickups to slowly respawn. It took away a lot from the quality of the fight. Both of the big bosses in the game kinda sucked and I had the same problem with the first one until I looked up the gimmick to get the weak point exposed faster.

I ultimately liked it and how different parts of the game, largely along the Claire/Barry split, felt more like classic Resident Evil or the then current 4/5 style. Overall I think I preferred the first Revelations a little bit more because I just liked the boat.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Resident Evil does need to have a character who goes through a hosed up boss style transformation just be an otherwise normal NPC at some point. BSAA Agent Codename Tentacle Eyes

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Caidin posted:

Honestly the most questionable mutant in RE4 is Krauser, because I don't think he'd have a dominant strain Plaga due to Saddler's distrust of him and yet he's sane and lucid for a resident evil villain while still having super powers with no mutations he doesn't want. He could probably even turn that arm of his back down if he wanted. I doubt Wesker would lend him his own private brand of super juice so who knows what he was on.

The Merchant also had Plagas eyes but helping Leon for profit. It would be funnier if the dominant plagas actually didn't have any mind control powers at all, everyone just was jerks and playing along with Saddler.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The RE1 remake has an odd difficulty curve that depends on how well you understand it. If you go into it as an action game and you kill zombies, they come back as even stronger and more deadly zombies after a certain period of time. Since on your first playthrough you'll also take the longer in the main house, you absolutely hit that period of time over and over. Then you burn more health and ammo to fight them, making the back half of the game harder too.

The game itself isn't that hard because its mostly about puzzles and shuffling keys around. Knowing which routes to take and what enemies you should bother fighting vs dodging is the big part.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I played the remasted RE1 remake on PS4, I got overconfident in my memories from the Gamecube and didn't think Crimson Heads could revive in the labs. I used my excess ammo to go to town on all of the zombies as I went through the area. Then I forgot where everything was in the labs and it took a while to work it all out.

It turns out that they absolutely can revive there and it was just that I was a lot faster when I was younger. Whoops.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

McCracAttack posted:

The other day I realized how close I was to having some version of all the numbered games on PS4.

So what the hell, I ordered 5 and 6.

Of course.

lol, I did the same thing and ended up with the same red RE6. At first I thought it was some bootleg because I have so few of the red case PS4 games that I didn't remember they even existed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The REmake is probably still my favorite game in the whole series. I think there would be diminishing returns to remaking it again over just making a new game. It would just be a plot exercise for people who haven't played it already and don't want/can't do the tank control style but want to see the story and say they've played 'Resident Evil 1.'

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finished the game yesterday and I'm disappointed that (story stuff) The Duke isn't explained at all, other than the throwaway line that even he doesn't really know. The Deluxe version came with concept art and commentary for both 7 and Village. One of them mentioned that Duke was going to be the 5th Lord but they dropped it. I wonder if they then never got around to coming up with another idea. He's so much more integrated into the plot than the RE4 Merchant and it feels like it needed follow up because of that. Its easier to just accept the Merchant as just another weird thing. Generally the game felt like it had so much more direct plot and metaseries story stuff than RE usually has but didn't really feel like getting into any of it other than Ethan the molded.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its kinda weird that the horsemen lycans only exist in the cutscene of that one segment.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked Rev1 but it does start to decline at the end. It should have followed RE protocol and ended shortly after getting into the lab.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Solomonic posted:

I have a totally unproven hypothesis that people who played RE5 and RE6 as couch co-op instead of solo for the first time are more likely to have favorable opinions of both. It just clicks better when you have an actual friend you can strategize with / talk poo poo to in real-time, instead of the brain-dead AI.

The one time I played RE5 was with my buddy with online co-op and it still wasn't great. Part of that is because I like at least a veneer of horror for Resident Evil that having a second person you're talking to completely disrupts and partly because the game was just a messier, worse version of 4.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A RE4 remake should include an Assignment: Merchant mode that is the Merchant needing to stay one step ahead of Leon and solving puzzles that would have normally unlocked weapons in old games himself so he can sell them. Include setting up the targets for the Punisher and some kind of joke about the Magnum that Leon can get himself.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked Village but I'd put it as a solidly midpack Resident Evil. It wasn't as fresh feeling as 7 and didn't play as well as the remakes of 2 or 3. 9 might need to be another change up on the formula.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd be hyped for a story that's Rose, Sherry, and Jill teaming up to stop a possessed Natalia and break her of Alex's mental conditioning. Get all of the women who have been infected or controlled helping each other with their own motivation and agency.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Max Wilco posted:

Now it's onto Resident Evil 0, which I've heard mixed things about. Anything I should know going in?

Its a long, steady decline in quality after the train. Conserve blue herbs because there are very limited numbers of them but a surprisingly high number of poisonous enemies later in the second area.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like game review scores have gotten maybe slightly better about it but Zero did come out on the Gamecube firmly in the era of the 7-10 only scale (unless you were mocking an awful game). The nearly 20 years of mostly better Resident Evils since then fundamentally shove it down the rankings. It is no longer the REmake's not as good follow up, its bottom tier on the entire main series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I always preferred the riot gun in RE4. I felt like the third shotgun had a slower turning speed or something and I couldn't use it effectively.

I never play Resident Evils on New Game+ so my experiences with them is off from everyone else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If I'm likely going to play RE5 solo, should I set the difficulty to amateur to make it more manageable with the AI partner?