Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

timeandtide posted:

Replaying RE5, and I heard a pretty random conversation between Chris and Sheva after waiting around Chapter 1-1 for 10 minutes. (It's the first one in that video.)

Guess Chris isn't a fan of CAPITALISM, huh? Speaking of which, if the game had more dialogue like that in the beginning I'd love it.

Chris and Sheva talk a lot more if you play solo, and these little dialogues change depending on which of the two you're controlling. If you play as Sheva, Chris gets a few good one-liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Sony just posted their Captivate 2012 stuff in advance of the deadline. One screenshot shows the game's HUD.

Dual wielding confirmed.
Also, the minimap seems to have been replaced with a waypoint, like in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Azraden posted:

I'm going to take this as meaning no more Albert.
RIP DC Douglas' Wesker. You were the best part of RE5.

Considering his son is one of the main characters, Albert may make an appearance in flashbacks, awakwardly hooking up with Jake's mom and saying stuff like "prepare to be impregnated with my superior dee-en-ay".

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I didn't notice this before, but they're using crosshair instead of laser aims.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

While I like some of the things they're trying to do (like forcing you to use the roll instead of QTEs to dodge attacks), some of the new mechanics seem to hurt the formula more than anything. In RE4 and 5, melee moves rewarded you with i-frames and free damage for aiming well. In this game they don't give you i-frames and you can use them whenever you want. What's the point?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

It uses QTEs when enemies grab you, but there doesn't seem to be any "press X to dodge" prompts. You have to read the enemies' animations and roll at the right time. Also, why the hell is the animation so much worse than RE4's?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Capcom just posted new footage from Leon's campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A59eZmenkL8

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

^ Partners in RE6 are the same, from what I'm hearing. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of reaction when you shoot an enemy.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

They retconned Wesker's origin in RE5 again. They made experiments on him before he was even born.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Ada gameplay. Looks like her campaign is solo only.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The best part of RE4's butchering of the Spanish language is the Novistadors. They wanted a cool word for their invisible enemies, but when they realized that the Spanish word for invisible is "invisible" they just said, to hell with this and made up that awful word. If you translate it back into English it's something like "un-sight-der". It really makes no sense.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

xomocekc posted:

Speaking of RE5, does anyone have any tips for the final chapter? I'm finding it really hard to progress past the point where I open the primary bulkhead and the two insect things appear. They keep one hit killing me, so I just ended up using the Grenade Launcher with explosive ammo but that seems wasteful. For the next part with the two gatling gun Majini I don't seem to have any enough ammo, but I do have enough first aid sprays. I also didn't really buy any of the new weapons and just upgraded the ones you start with, because that was the way to go in RE4.

So is there some trick or any easier way to get past this?
Don't worry about wasting the explosive rounds on the bugs. It's not like you're going to need it anymore. If you blast their limbs off with the shotgun, they won't be able to do their one-hit kill for a few seconds.
For the gatling gun guys, I normally go to the upper walkway on the left before they spawn. You'll find landmines in one of the rooms there. Lure them in and then keep alternating mines and grenades with Chris' haymaker.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Here's the achievement list.
http://exophase.com/game/resident-e...0/achievements/
I'm interested in the bit about buying and levelling skills up.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

AASman posted:

For those that have played the demo; are you invulnerable while performing melee attacks like in RE4 and 5? It seemed like a fun idea when those games were made, but they can be abused pretty bad.

The only ones that make you invulnerable are the throws (like Jake's DDT).

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah, I thought those rumours were bullshit.
Some new Mercenaries footage. Good to see taunts are back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQwVjlF-u8

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

It was confirmed months ago.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

^ Yeah, there's an option to increase the aiming speed.

Chris' demo was horrible, horrible stuff. It's like they went out of their way to make it as obnoxious as possible. The other two I liked more. Jake's melee is a lot of fun and the chrysalid enemies are cool. Leon's campaign reminds me of those one-off X-Files comedy episodes.

Himuro posted:

It's the basic things, like...you can't kick doors open anymore, which in RE4/5 had strategic value.
You can, just not in the campus level of Leon's campaign. You can't sprint at some points either.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 18, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The cool thing about the suplex is that you can use it when you sneak up on an enemy before they notice you. Speaking of melee, I've seen Leon do a spinning hook kick in some videos, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I want this to happen at my birthday party.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone having trouble seeing anything on the PS3? Even turning the gamma settings all the way up, enemies are almost invisible in some areas.

Flameingblack posted:

The other thing I noticed is how little that zombies react to your gunfire. I'm not sure if it's because they're actually zombies, as opposed to the hybrids of 4 & 5, or it's just the programming that's off. Shooting them in the legs isn't as viable as it use to be.
That's because your shots tear a hole through them. You can actually see through them if you shoot them in the torso. The J'avo, on the other hand, react like the enemies in RE4 and 5. I suppose they did this to make the zombies more difficult to deal with.

quote:

Nonsensical dual-welding
Dual wielding lets you fire six quickshots in a row, so at least it serves a purpose. Agree about the stumbling. It's just annoying.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Thievery posted:

That said, what's up with herbs? I get that I can press R2 to heal myself using...something? And then the herbs i've got in the inventory, how do I use them? I've got two R + G combinations but no way to use them or refill the R2 thing, which is a bit confusing.

You don't have to bother mixing herbs. Hold R2+square and the character does it automatically.
Going by one of the previews, it seems AI partners are immortal. Thank gently caress for that.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The guy I'm assuming is the main villain, Derek Simmons, shows up in most of the trailers.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

This is going to be the most polarizing RE. The game does have its fair share of flaws and seems to be a textbook example of design by committee, but I get the feeling most of the negative reviews will be based on the opinion that it doesn't feel like RE anymore.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone know if this got a bump in performance since the demo on PS3?
The Xbox demo ran way better, but it'd be neat to use those new PlayStation Pulse headphones on this game.

A couple of reviewers said the PS3 version looks slightly better (especially textures and shadows).
Wow at the backlash. It's getting glowing reviews here in Europe, but the American press is slaughtering it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I have no idea how to unlock those.

They may be tied to that RE.net site they've been advertising.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

AASman posted:

"To judge us? Do you get all of your ideas from comic books?"

Just the stepping stone I need...! *Pummels a boulder*

"All that matters in this world is superior DEE EN AYY!!!"

Don't forget Jill crawling on walls and hissing like a cat.

I'm partial to "First we cracked the shell, now we'll get the nut inside".

Spermando fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 2, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Need help with Leon's chapter 4 boss. What the gently caress am I supposed to do when he tries to ram the train head on?
EDIT: Nevermind

vv Yes.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 2, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Vanrushal posted:

I made it through Chris chapter 2 last night, and I need to bitch about the part where the first giant B.O.W. comes back after you kill the second one. I figured out that you need to hop onto it when it's reeling against a building, but holy poo poo the QTE to pull the weak point out was retarded. After like 5 failed attempts I had to palm the stick with my right hand and go nuts on it and I still barely managed to get it done. Did I miss something here? None of the wiggling QTEs in the demo nor the prologue were anywhere near this difficult.

Quoting this, but it should be in the thread title: Equipping the "break away" skill makes QTEs easier.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

quote:

Also, if you run out of stamina pop a pill and it fully refills, leading to more quickshots.
Taunting with L2 also refills your stamina quickly. It leaves you open for a few seconds, though.

Thievery posted:

Anyone know how to perform a coup de grace successfully? I did a couple of them in Leon's campaign apparently, but in the entire of Chris's I did 0 despite using melee often. I assume it's like RE5, where you chain a melee attack together with your buddy or something, then do a super powerful one to finish them, but i'm not sure.

edit - looking at the terrible manual the picture they have for it is Chris's "lift and throw" move, which I did about a thousand times. Weird.

The easiest way to do it is to play a male character, turn your back on an enemy, and press R1. They will elbow the zombie in the face. After that, approach them from the front and you'll get a prompt to do it.

By the way, about Ada's ending... What was in the coccoon? Another Carla?.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I just played Jake's chapter 5 again on veteran. There's actually a lot of cool stuff you can do during the final fight, but the boss goes down too quickly on normal. How is it from Sherry's perspective? She says "I'll support you from down here", but all she does is cheer for Jake. That counts as support, I guess.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Wanderer posted:

You hit the Ustanak with shipping crates using the freight lift.

Weird. The AI does gently caress all to help.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Is there a way to kill Leon's final bosses that doesn't take ages? Wanderer said the T-rex is easier if you aim at his big eye, but he only exposes it when he roars, which stuns Leon anyway. Also, during the final fight, is there a way to force him to eat the lightning rod zombies? Most of the time he will go for the "healthy" ones. I tried using Leon's multi-quickshot thing to clear the field after destroying his legs, but it doesn't always work.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

If you miss a weapon, it will be automatically added to your inventory at the end of the chapter. Sometimes they appear in more than one place in the same chapter if you miss them.
Regarding the second part, I played Leon first, missed the elevator and went through room 00 both times, but only got prizes as Chris. I also play offline.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Speedball posted:

There is sadly no "Whatta ya buying?" guy.

No, but Leon blurts out "Welcome back, stranger" at one point.
And speaking of callbacks, after Sherry jumps down the chute in her intro cutscene, Jake says "Lost something?". This is a reference to the part where Sherry loses her medallion in RE2.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The controls suck when you try to maneuver in a small spot. The character can do 180 turns perfectly, but for any less than that, they have to do a wide U-turn. This tends to happen more during escape events due to the camera, like in Ada's first chapter. Fun times.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Section Z posted:

Then in chapter three it finally gave me a loading screen tip "That's how you do it". I miss manuals. Now I'm missing the tiny pamphlets that are just disclaimers and your controller layout Nothing in my 360 box but the discs.

Really? The European PS3 version comes with a small manual that explains the controls with some goofy pictures of Leon doing stuff.

This game has a ton of hidden stuff and details. In Jake's chapter 5 if you grab a raskaplanje's hand in the lab area where the shelves are, Jake or Sherry will toss it in a furnace.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 7, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I'm convinced Chris' final boss is impossible if you play as Piers. The AI will only ever shoot the weak spots by accident, and Piers' thing doesn't seem to phase him in his normal form.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The trick I found is just to spam really weak shots at it. As usual, while the game tells you you can charge up attacks, it neglects to tell you you can fire weak shots at it which do a better job at stunning it. Save the big burst for the cocoon, then run up and melee the pods.

Thank you. He went down in two minutes doing that.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I've been trying to see all the different counter moves. There's some really fun stuff. Leon can body check the napads when they charge at him. Jake can do a weird corkscrew leg takedown on the grasshoper j'avo. My favorite, though, is Ada's counter during her final battle. She grapples up to Simmons and knees him in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nah, doing the quickshot volley with the guns at every turn is the only correct way to play Leon, as far as I'm concerned.