Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TerryLennox posted:

I'm just finishing the last campaign in RE 6, Ada's. I think I've figured why I dislike the experience I'm having with the game. The one thing that has been pissing me off infinitely, is that they have replaced difficulty with Trial and Error gameplay. Missed a .5 second QTE? Die. Camera angles tricked into running the wrong way and the stage killed you? Idiot. You shot an RPG rocket which explodes and should take out both zombies aiming at you but instead you needed to shoot an almost invisible explosive barrel? Die. The game is basically designed so that you have to go through most sequences at least once so you know what is coming. Thats not difficulty, that is rote memorization. This is retarded and completely detracts from the fun aspect of the game. All I want is shoot zombies, fight a tough boss or two, see the cheesy B-movie plot and fanservice and thats it. I don't want to play Call of Duty/Dance Dance Revolution/Driver in Resident Evil. Also, I hate the skill system. I would have preferred a few abilities that each character would have that are unique to that character so you need to play to a character's strengths. Like Chris is a tank. He should ignore knockback and have strong melee attacks. Leon instead should be able to dual wield most guns and has faster melee but lighter attacks. Sherry has little health but she regenerates if you give her enough time. Jake has wrought iron testicles which he can use to block gunfire. The combat is decent enough, although the controls could be a little tighter. Once you buy Field Medic Lv 2, you are basically set.

Seriously? I'm poo poo at video games and I've been playing it on veteran (or whatever the level above normal and before stupid hard is) with a buddy of mine and it's been a pretty standard difficulty level for us. Maybe co-op isn't scaled, but there haven't been many big surprises. Sometimes the QTE or die stuff is a problem, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was in RE5, and we only failed one driving segment a couple times at the end of Chris' campaign. Is Ada's that much worse, or have you been having these troubles the whole way through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Luisfe posted:

Helena's weirdass hydra shotgun thing is great though.
She also quickshoots like a character from one of the El Mariachi movies.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just beat Jake's campaign in Resident Evil 6 with a buddy of mine, after we've played through Chris and Leon's respective campaigns. Having a boss fight pretty much just be a game of Punch Out! was inspired, as was the boss fight where you get to play as the drill thing from Total Recall. God drat that game is all kinds of silly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My favorite thing about ORC was reviving your teammates after they'd been dismembered severely and were just a limbless torso. "Get up you pillow of flesh, there are zombies to shoot!"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Excels posted:

Was anyone else originally hoping or expecting RE6 to just be more RE5 with a new campaign and multiple character arcs? I would have been perfectly satisfied with that instead of... whatever it is we got. The Ada storyline, on top of being exclusively 1-player in a 2-player oriented game, was just mindboggling levels of :psyduck:
It's even crazier than RE5 and I love it for it. The gameplay feels less clunky than RE5, and you can Rock Bottom zombies all day long. Is the Ada campaign really only single player though? I've played through the other campaigns with a buddy of mine and we haven't started it yet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Excels posted:

This is the problem I find with game development these days. Any company that makes even an accidental big seller game is suddenly flooded with offers to crank out as many more as possible, like Telltale Games who are now working on approximately every adventure game franchise ever.

We're also seeing a lot of less subtle corporate sponsoring lately, maybe I just haven't noticed it until recently but. You've got Pennzoil doing promotional stuff for Mario Kart 8, Warner Bros handling the Arkham games, Hot Wheels funding Sonic Transformed-- there are a few other examples as well I think.
Well, Warner Bros and Batman isn't exactly a new thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71i0a5x-qA

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Klaus Kinski posted:

As someone that has spent way too many dollars on steam buying anything labeled "co-op", this is false. There are many games that are not fun with friends, even with lots of alcohol involved.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was too lovely to have fun with, even in co-op. RE5 and 6 were ridiculously fun when I played them co-op with a buddy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Backhand posted:

If you're not being sarcastic, then yeah, the PC version with the 'disable QTEs' option went a long way towards making the game less annoying. poo poo like Hoobastank killing you instantly in the ice caves if you so much as looked at him sideways while being unexplainedly beatable in a fist fight later on, yeah, that's still retarded as hell.

If you are being sarcastic... then by way of comparison, crocodile raft. I rest my case.
Yeah, but that fist fight owned and was the closest we'll get to seeing Resident Evil: Punch-Out!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Excels posted:

All they need to do is retcon Wesker's death in RE7 and they'll sell a million copies.
Resident Evil is such a silly comic book universe, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came back. That or Jake was bred/cloned/whatevered from Wesker's DNA to grow up into another Wesker. He's gotta have that mad scientist/Agent Smith/Dracula gene in there somewhere.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The saddest thing about the rail gun game is that the concept started out as a remake of all the original games in the engine of RE4, which would have been loving amazing, probably the definitive RE game.
Is there more information about this? The thought of the original games being remade in the RE4 engine gets me excited, and I want to know more about what could've been.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A Bystander posted:

I remember reading something about Jill's actress studying the character's movement to fit the role better, so there's that. It was a long time ago, though, and possibly bullshit.
I noticed this when I watched it a couple months ago. When she walks with her gun held downward in both hands, it looks an awful lot like it does in the games. It was a nice touch in a series that has progressively less to do with the games with each passing moment.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Excels posted:

I am unironically a Wesker fanboy, he has the best theme in the game and the fight vs him and Jill is great. I really love how he has this slow impatient march that makes him seem really imposing and dangerous as he stalks you.

DC Douglas chews the gently caress out of every scene, to the point where pretty much every one-liner Wesker spits at you is memorable.

I used to know a girl who was super-diehard for him though and never finished RE5 because she would start to cry and refused to accept he was dead.

His MVC3 theme is frantic. (Also I love how just seeing Wesker in MVC3 is enough to scare some people because he's so strong)
I love the gently caress out of Wesker. From the photo of him in the lab in RE1 where he's still wearing sunglasses to CHRIIIIIIS in RE5, he's one of my favorite game characters ever. And that fight with him and Jill is the only part in RE5 where I was legit scared; running and hiding from him was tense and really fun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Playing through RE6 with a buddy has been one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in recent years. The game's incredibly silly, has some really stupid big setpieces, and while there are a few parts of the game that do suck, for the most part we've had a ton of fun with it.

And chalk me up as a fan of RE 4+5+6. I've only played Umbrella Chronicles and RE1 aside from those three, but RE1's tanky controls trip me up a lot since I didn't play it when it came out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hakkesshu posted:

Unless I'm missing something, GFWL games should still be playable if you don't sign in, you just can't do multiplayer or get achievements.
Do you really want to play RE5 without co-op?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
ORC just felt ugly to me. I didn't like any of the characters, and while it had some cool ideas, they weren't enough to make me really like it that much. It felt like I was playing through bad Resident Evil fan fiction for most of it, and in a franchise where one of the biggest strengths is the plethora of ridiculous characters, it felt comparatively dull to just play as bitter grumpy Umbrella guys.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't people get really upset when Resident Evil Outbreak tried that?
I think it was honestly just a little ahead of its time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
RE 4, 6, and Revelations are all 75% off on Steam right now, if you're interested.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better solo.
What's it like to be objectively wrong?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SirDrone posted:

Would Operation Raccoon City be worth it at low prices? do people even play the game online at all or would I be better off buying the outbreak games instead.
You'd only really be able to play with folks you set up to play with - finding random people online won't be easy since nobody's really playing it. Last time it was brought up a lot of people in this thread jumped up to defend it, but I couldn't stand O:RC.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mr. Fortitude posted:

One thing I always wondered was how come the very first Zombie in Resident Evil could take 3 shots from Barry's handcannon to the face but it practically one hit kills everything else in the game.
It could also open doors. What we saw was obviously a beta test of Nemesis.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Geight posted:

I really like how RE6 handled health, with the segmented bar and the healing tablets. Bloody Screen So Real gets the job done, but I really dislike my vision being obstructed when I need it the most!
That's my favorite health system in games; it keeps you from getting completely dicked over if you end a fight badly wounded, still involves some level of resource management and scarcity, and doesn't let you just tank hits for a minute and hide just to do it all over again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm playing Resident Evil: Revelations and I'm amazed at how many helicopters the heroes have ridden in haven't blown up yet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Geight posted:

Almost, but never fear! The giant fuckin squid/whale/what the gently caress BOW crushes your helicopter off the Xenobia. Jill seems concerned about the pilot and Chris just goes "WELP".

Well, I just beat Revelations and it only squishes... one of the helicopters? Chris knows a thing or two about dead helicopter pilots though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

These Loving Eyes posted:

Is it just me or is Revelations actually a bit hard even on normal? I'm trying to S rank my way through the episodes, and now that I'm near the end of episode 7, I've been getting my rear end handed down to me. I'm always either running low on ammo, or, when I try run past ooze monsters, I get attacked so often I run out of herbs too early. Compared to other contemporary action games, the episodes actually take a few tries to get through. While I've enjoyed the game quite much, I hate how stiff the combat feels. The enemies stagger only randomly and the prompted melee attacks are rarely a viable option. Added to that, the dodge mechanic is a bit dodgy (no pun intended), so it is hard to try to conserve bullets and run past monsters.

I died probably four times in the entire game, and they were all against bosses or boss-like characters with instant kill attacks. I used grenades judiciously and scanned everything everywhere all the time. It might be harder than a lot of run and gun games, but it's not that difficult.

Similarly, I beat Resident Evil 4 twice when it came out on Gamecube without dying once, and playing it now I've died twice in the same area. I feel like I've ruined my spotless record or something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You missed a hell of a lot of kickass death animations.

Well so far I've seen "Leon's head is brutally chainsawed off" and "Leon lamely falls over when someone throws a pickaxe at his ankle"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well we can add "get choked out by the Big Cheese during a cutscene" and "Ashley gets blown up like 4 times" to that list :shepicide:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I have a decent PC, but for some reason RE4 HD runs like poo poo. I have to set it to 30FPS lock or I get super slowdown.

I just put together a really kickass PC and it's been running smooth as butter, until today. I was doing the shooting gallery and a bunch of doves started flying out and my game slowed to a crawl before jumping back up to a smooth framerate. They just looked like animated textures and not 3D models so I don't know what the gently caress.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm playing RE4 again for the first time since I owned it on Gamecube and I really think it's still one of the top five best games ever made.
Same here, and while I'm sucking at it compared to how I used to be, it's an amazing game and I'm absolutely loving it. Got a little frustrated with the maze and dogs last night, but the game has the right mix of creepy, campy, and gamey to have a really fun tone, and the gameplay is seriously top notch. The controls take a little bit to get used to (especially after playing the more recent RE games) but they make the game better and feel wholly unique. Playing it again, I'm not exactly surprised by how much I'm loving this game, but I'm definitely being reminded of how much I loved it to begin with.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Early in Leon's campaign is pretty much a sample of what we could have had with a remake of RE2 (hopefully without all the QTEs and heavily scripted segments though). The section with the other survivors was really cool and could have been amazing if it were more dynamic. Imagine what an incentive to play well it would be if you could get everyone out alive!
That part was great. I was playing with a buddy of mine through RE6 and like half an hour after we got past that part he just solemnly asks me "Hey, what happened with those people in the church?" and we realized none of them got out alive.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I even found a few things I had no idea about before - when playing as Ada I accidentally countered Deborah when she jumped at me, leading to a QTE where I attacked her weak point with a flurry of punches. I also never knew you could do stuff like microwave the regenerator hands too.
I cackled like an idiot when I got to Maniac Mansion that regenerator hand. Not as much as I did when I played Punch-Out! with the boss in Jake's campaign, but I had a load of fun with that silly game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just played through RE4 HD. I hadn't played it since it first dropped on the Gamecube, and while I remember liking it a lot, I don't remember it being THIS good. I'd have to say it's easily in my top 10 games of all time now that I've really gotten to play it again. It's just so well designed and it plays so well. I also played through Assignment Ada and Separate Ways - what are the general opinions of those? Separate Ways was pretty good, aside from a few moments of frustration here and there, although it never felt quite as good as RE4's main campaign. It was just really obvious they were reusing environments (which I don't fault Capcom for, it's just a side story) and it gave me more money than I knew what to do with. I found Assignment Ada to be a (mercifully short) slog though. I don't know if it just wasn't as well designed or I was just really getting tired of the same environments, but I really didn't have much fun with it. It was really predictable (enter room, kill 2 guys, grab Thing, 10 guys with shields come in and one minigun guy) and 99% of it was just me spraying everything with the TMP. I wasn't thrilled to fight Krauser again either. I like Ada and her persistent smugness too, I just didn't enjoy the sidestories as much as the main game. RE4 still absolutely rules though.