Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

demons. posted:

Agreed, the dialogue & voice acting owns how bad and campy it is.

That's what you get for finding whoever can speak basic english in your japanese studio to record lines for you trying to recreate the campy B movie atmosphere. It still makes me laugh to here Wesker, supposedly pissed, at the end of Chris's campaign to "Stop it".

Going to be picking up my copy as soon as Gamestop opens but I keep getting mixed signals from "Good" to "UTTER poo poo". I'm a little worried :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Szmitten posted:

The sheer divisiveness kinda makes it less of a "good"/"bad" thing and more a "will you enjoy it" thing, and if YOU enjoy it who gives a gently caress, you're enjoying yourself.

As dumb, simple, and non-revelatory as that sounds.

I think I'm mainly worried about me getting pissed off about the control system changes and those who say this system makes it impossible to shoot and inventory control becoming tedious (moreso than 5) I'll probably be ok when I actually have the controller in my hand and get inevitably killed a few times figuring it out, but it's those pregame high hopes that I don't wish to be dashed.

We'll see in a few when I go pick up my copy. Hope everyone who already has their copies are having fun

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

losonti tokash posted:

Did you play the demo? The controls/inventory are easily the best in the series. They're still a little janky because it's Resident Evil and only just figured out how to move and aim simultaneously along with not driving people like tanks but it's not bad.

Sadly I didn't play the demo (hell I didn't even know one got released to be honest), I pre-ordered it out of merits from previous games and that I've grown up with the series. Hell, if it's just slightly better than 5 (which is still a good game), I'd be happy. Like I said, most of my worries is probably just pregame anxiousness and will probably go away when I actually play the drat thing.

Heading out to get it now. See you goons in a few hours

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else having problems with getting behind cover? Things that seem to be cover don't want to protect me.

Started with Jake, and had to start over because I realized to late that ammo conservation is once again the name of the game. That and it took me forever to figure out how exactly I was supposed to yank the protective covering off the giants back. That should not have taken me that long but it did anyway :downs:

Edit: oh and knocking a zombie dead with the charge punch as it runs around a corner will never stop being amusing to me.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lasher posted:

Yeah I get that bit, I just never seem to do it. I always bulldog them or super kick. Didn't know if positioning had anything to do with it or something.

Positioning plays a factor with many melee moves. Being behind them or in front, while they are down in both ways, behind a piece of cover or waist high divider, and if you charge your attack or are in complete CQC mode. They all have a bearing in how you will come out swinging

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark Id posted:

That said anyone playing needs to immediately gently caress around the aim sensitivity and turn that poo poo down several pegs as well as turn on the old laser sights since the crosshairs are terrible. Turning down the camera turn speed helped too. The defaults are all floaty and bad but I managed to get something akin to RE5 type speeds and have been happy with it.

Bolded to stress this point. while you are in the options menu, I would highly recommend switching color of the laser to green because red likes to disappear very fast in the action, especially in the explosions. Green stands out big time.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

1. Who decided your character should take up around 50% of the screen?
2. And who decided there could be no pause button if you're playing single-player?
3. How the hell do I buy skills?
4. How the hell do I upgrade weapons?

I understand there being no paper manual, but maybe a short tutorial on how to do any of those things would be appreciated.
Anyway, not playing right now but I'll be on later if anyone wants to join me doing Jake's campaign. My GT is Calaveronico.

1.Over the shoulder does that. You still see all that you need to.

2. You mean the start button? Cause that pauses the game right there no problem on single player

3. You buy skills between chapters

4. You don't upgrade weapons, you buy skills to improve yourself overall including damage

Yes they should have included a manual because I don't feel they do enough to cover it tutorial wise, and the tutorial beginning is slow (for a reason story wise) but then throws you right into things without a proper explanation of how melee works. They really didn't think that through.

But once melee is mastered, hell that's primarily what I've been using on people as Jake. He can melee flying units as well if you are good enough!

Edit: Upon more thought, I think most people's problems with the game comes from such a sucky start and a tutorial that doesn't fully teach you how to play. of course, trial and error helps out a lot, but it can turn people off from playing the drat thing if they constantly get their butts handed to them.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 3, 2012

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
OH come on jake you can't even buy this game for 50 bucks. Get with the program man! :downs:

Also That drat Ustanak was almost as tenacious as Nemesis... ALMOST... then again Nemesis didn't have a ball and chain for an arm so there you go YAY FOR SCIENCE :science:

Who should I play next, Chris or Leon?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like just playing through the game with Jake and part of Chris has given me enough points to unlock a costume on RE.net. Sucks that the only way to unlock it this way though... REAAAALLLLYYYYY Tempted to unlock Pirate Leon for his first playthrough.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crappy Jack posted:

As I'm hearing it, you can't wear costumes in single player, it's just for mercenaries.

awwwwww drat it... that spoils my party... :smith:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Having problems with chris's final boss... I run out of ammo to drat fast and the drat Giant water skeleton always seems to turn his weakpoint away from me. I'm having the same drat problems with him that I did with the Giants at the beginning of the campaign, Low ammo to work with, No Possibilites for drops, no health drops either)

That and the QTE piss me off sometimes... YES I MADE... oh hell... WHEN DID MY PARTNER GET BEHIND ME!? gently caress IT PIERS! GET IT TOGETHER!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There were times In playing Chris's campaign where I was genuinely terrified. The second to last chapter had some moments where I jumped out of my seat. Last two times that happened was in 4 with the regenerator and in 3 with nemesis.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Have to say, as much as I enjoyed playing it, after finishing the game, I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick it up again. Actually considering trading it in for XCOM already. Considering RE5 had a metric ton of unlockables, this is a sad turn of events, I have to say.
It seems like they were hoping to keep people playing with RE.net competition for titles and new and exclusive unlockables for champs, but what they have right now isn't as impressive as it should be...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Started Leon's campaign... Yeah the game just went into overdrive! Seriously the first two chapters feel just like RE2... And thanks to jake's campaign I went at then with just a knife... It was glorious to slice upwards and watching them actually register a neck swipe... So good :unsmith:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Leyburn posted:

One of the upcoming events on RE.NET is a speedrun of that chapter. I can't imagine a worse event to showcase RE.NET.
They had to start somewhere I guess, and once it does get going it goes all out. Us it just a speed run or they adding bonuses for difficulty or kills it just time?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fraction posted:

What if you don't have a PS3? :colbert:

PSP then :colbert:

The GCN 2,3, and CVX are direct ports that if you can get for cheap are worth it, but I think the prices have inflated since 6 came out (at least where I shop)

REmake is still one of my favorite games, but hell is it brutal... It doesn't become a game as much as a true survival experience. That and it adds to the narrative of the overall RE Universe which I thoroughly enjoy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the ending of Chris's story in CV was big on Wesker. Hunters didn't arrive until he unleashed them and in the original he just got bitch slapped by Alexia once and that was the end of him for a bit. X made him fight a bit harder before leaving in shame and gave Claire a few moments with him.

Any new updates on the RE7 front?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Nemesis seemed to be random after his first grab. I've had green health and been insta-killed before. It's still the scariest game to play for me outside of Re:Make (gently caress Crimson heads and Lisa Trevor...I hate them so much)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My least favorite enemy is the plant monsters on RE2. Fuckers can just eat your head. That's where my one attempt at iron man RE2 got killed. There's only like 4 in the whole game.

mine was ended by a mutated licker at the end of lab... sure i'll be ok with a yellow health b:tviv:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Still has my interest. Also

therealjon_ posted:

This game is a Resident Evil game so I will buy it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Capcom is having a sale on it's titles right now including Resident Evil Games For Steam. RE 4/5/ and 6 bundle is currently 30 bucks but you don't get the DLC with it so that's a letdown :sigh:

Edit: Remake and RE 0 HD are over 20 bucks for the whole set so thats not bad

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have 30 bucks to burn on Steam. Should I get the Remakes or should i spend a bit more for the RE collection? putting this up to you folks

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

What comes in the collection?

4/5/6/ both revelations. 57 and change

remakes are 20 and change

i can get a gift card from a bud if i go the prior option.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

You can get the games individually for cheaper than 57 bucks with all the DLC though without revelations. When you buy the 57 pack you are getting RE6 with no dlc and possibly 5 without dlc.

didnt notice they also had 4/5/6 for 30... with no dlc

edit: i type good :downs:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
as much as I want to get the other games, I feel the Remakes are the best fit for me. plus it's cheaper.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Odds on the spooky swamp house secretly having a hi-tech sterile lab underneath it?

Yah see, making a lab underneath a mansion in the woods was where everything went wrong... Underneath a shack in the Bayou is where it's at!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You could also get the drat broken shotgun :shrug:

But Barry only saves you if my memory serves it's when you split up the first time and before you meet up again and you have to check both doors to confirm "welp I hosed up"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Steve never really bothered me that much. The thing that pissed me off about him though was he gives a huge poo poo fit when you give him the SMG's with no ammo saying you played a mean trick... When he does the same thing to you with the golden luggers. I know we were going to use them as keys anyway but still :wtc:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Crimson Heads were the loving worst... oh god... :ohdear:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
TMP was always an amazing addition to my attaché case. Pretty much my go to weapon for ganados due to plentiful ammo flow. Then again I always used and abused hunks neck snap in Mercs and just got really good at headshots so... :shrug:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh hell, not that loving OST again.
Sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

That is the game soundtrack equivalent of kids bringing home recorders from music class. Dear god it was atrocious

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It was meh at the best of times and frustrating beyond belief at the worst. Which is such a shame because they really made it seem like they were going back to their roots in marketing (heavily focusing on Leon's campaign)

I hope to god 7 will deliver as I'm feeling it a bit in this advertising as well. :pray:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Both. For treasures. :v:

This goon gets it :hfive:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

This thread inspired me to try another run through RE3 with idiotic self-imposed challenge stuff (I don't know why I thought no handgun/shotgun without enhanced ammo was a good idea). Twenty minutes in and...

Well, maybe I'll try that one again when I'm a bit closer to sober.

That means... NO weapons other then the knife until RCPD. It's doable but have fun with that.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
did anyone else hoard there Gunpowder in 3? I saved all my gunpowder to make as much Freeze/Mag rounds as possible and got quite untouchable by the end of the game (Nemesis at the beginning was an utter terror though :stonk: )

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

With a bit of practice you can beat the beginning part of RE2 without firing a shot and without getting hit. I can still do it via muscle memory. Basically just think like a speedrunner

I got to this point due to wanting Brad's Key, but the hardest points are the Bus and the alley behind Kendos. That always required some shooting. How'd you manage?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Szmitten posted:

The lack of organisation is killing me.

:agreed:

We all know that part of playing RE4 is being OCD as gently caress about you attaché case.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

vvvvvv I can absolutely say that there are no true random items in RE3. If an item isn't in one place you've seen it, it is somewhere else. Take the RPD for example: There are shotgun shells in the Marvin room sometimes. If they are not there, they'll be behind the meeting room next to the fireplace. Some herbs might be in the hallway outside that meeting room. Else they'll be in the hallway outside the STARS room.

yep. for instance in RCPD STARS office has either the Mag or grenade Launcher. Whatever you don't find you find later in power station. if you find 3 Gunpowders in the gas station lobby you wont find them in the Pharmacy storage room. the game keeps its balance just jumbles it up depending on the playthrough

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

It also does that with enemies in certain rooms. Like there's a hallway in the RPD that either has a couple dogs lurking around or a bunch of zombos crammed into a narrow corridor. It helps keep things interesting your first few times through the game.

that's outside the briefing room. Brain suckers and Drain Demios also switch a lot once both flavors are introduced. Also in the Dead Factory the acid bath room can switch between zombies, hunters, drains or brain suckers... and they constantly respawn there. there are so many places like that in the game and it becomes disorienting for second and third time players.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

I beat it! In hindsight, I think going for the Nemesis kills made the game worse for me me first time through and I'd probably done better saving it for another playthrough when I actually know where I'll be getting resources and what I can safely use. And I was really disappointed that the last optional Nemesis fight was at the Clock Tower, because after that the game begins dumping massive amounts of ammo on your lap and I was all ready to pump it all into my friend, but then you never actually get to do that. At the trash dump it's a puzzle boss where I would assume you can't even win by just shooting, and then there's only the final boss left, and, well. I was going intoit with an inventory literally full of weapons and ammo, and then I just needed to blast it with all the rockets I had and shoot a couple of magnum rounds. How lame. What're all those ammo caches even for?!

Oh well, despite some frustrations with fighting the big man in very small spaces, fun game. I think I like RE2 a bit more, but we'll see how I feel about this one once I inevitably replay it.

Hey, I'm finally onto the games you can actually buy on steam!

Glad you got through it. It really is a fun game to play. Definitely play some Mad Jackyl because it is surprisingly fun for what it is and playing re3 with an unlimited Machine gun is always amazing

Let me know how RE4 and 5 play. I've been wanting them on my steam library but lack of funds have made it hard for me to pull the trigger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

What? This was like the best part of the game. It's not difficult in the slightest once you know where the baddies are going to spawn.

Gotta agree. out of all the bits in RE6 that had the least of my complaints and actually felt like a horror game.