Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked resident evil 2 and 4, thought 5 was all right but a disappointment. A friend recommended revelations, was he correct? Should I get the DLC?
Also, should I get 6? I heard it was awful. The steam sale looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was super disappointed when I started resident evil six and didn't hear the gruff voice saying RESIDENT EEEVIIIEEELLLL.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Seejay posted:

Does anyone know of the PS1 version of Resi 2 is any good on the Vita? I'm very aware that some games suffer from a lack of L2 and R2 buttons, and it's been so long since i've played it that I can't remember. I don't want to buy and download it, only to find that it's borderline unplayable is all.

Edit: I type good.

I played it on the psp and it was fine. It was just like playing the pc version back in the day.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have never played RE1 before. Dogs are hard to kill. When I go tthe mansion key I got to an area where there was a shotgun that I couldn't take, and when I went further, I walked into some outside area like a porch or something and a dog was there, which killed me (not the dog if you try to open the front door, the dog past the bathtub -> shotgun room). I suppose I should be going in that direction? Try again, kill dog?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Resident evil 1: Remake. As I said before I've never played this before. I just died to a dog after shooting it twice and then getting mauled. I was mashing the shoot and aim buttons and Jill just got mauled until she died. What SHOULD I be mashing?

Anyway, progress: Got shotgun, found item box, burned tons of zombies but still had to kill and burn two red ones. Found tons and tons of items which are all going into the item box. Found the dog whistle and the note about it... When I used the mansion key for the final time it unlocked a two-zombie stair hall and then an outside area with a plant I couldn't pick up, only use. I got a distinct idea that maybe it was dog time, so I ran away and went back to the item box and to save one final time, at which point the dog that I knew about, that had already jumped through the window into the hallway near the item box, murdered me.

Not sure what to use defoliator for. Not sure what to use 'mount' for, or the crest. I tried to combine them and that didn't work. No bosses yet. How should I be killing dogs? It seems impossible to dodge them and the handgun is too piddly to hurt them fast enough. It seems like a waste of the shotgun?

redreader fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 22, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
RE1 first playthrough:

-I found a snake in a room, and also have a flame grenade launcher. Bullets do nothing to it, I suppose it's time to combine snake + grenades
-Richard needed a serum. I got a serum for him! But he was dead when I got back.
-I got one last drop of oil from the canister outside (where the dogs and herbs are, near the first safe room) and 3 zombies broke through the windows. I shot them all (I am shooting all the zombies and then burning them). I am just going to never go through that corridor ever again, 3 loving red eye zombies in a few hours.

Jill is pretty cool! Every time I use my lockpick I think "how the gently caress does Chris do anything?" are there keys lying around for him or something?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
RE1 first playthrough:

Went into the attic and hosed up the snake! Got and placed the second death mask (looks like there's something mean in that coffin!) But now I have no keys or key items at all. Not sure what to do next. I haven't figured out what's up with the jewels in the statues. Haven't activated the elevator either. Haven't pressed the button in the room full of knights, since that looks like a suicidal idea.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Was very excited to find out that 4 was coming out on the switch, then found out that it came out on the PC in 2014??? I played it on ps2 and loved it. Is the pc version any good?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to finish my RE1 run last night, playing the remake for the first time.
-killed giant spider, plant boss, shark boss
-did underground stuff
-got abandoned by barry (dick!)
-someone got murdered as they were about to say who the bad guy was

I called it a night as I resurfaced in the mansion where you first meet Lisa Trevor. Hopefully I don't have too far left! The reason I went from 'wow' to 'ok this is fun but I need to finish this' is that I am starting to call it 'backtrack: the game'. Every time I find myself backtracking I laugh and say that to myself. I find myself saying that at least once every five minutes, and spending the next 2-3 minutes backtracking. Thank god I chose Jill.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Finally finished RE:Make and I hosed up by letting Barry die during the boss fight, before the labs. I got the 'evil ending with Chris' which made me miss the final boss fight and self-destruct run. It's a pity but I don't really feel like going back to replay it, I think I still have the save before Barry died.

Anyway, now I can play 2, I just bought and downloaded the remake last night. Really looking forward to it. What's a good thing to aim for for a first playthrough? Just 'get through the game'? Are there any unlocks that can help me for the next playthrough? I played a lot of the original, in 2000 or so but haven't touched it again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
started on RE2 last night. I was trying to play it how I played the old one: I was able to knife zombies to death with some kiting and running every now and then. Before I got one shot in, the zombie lunged and I knifed him in the neck. I wasn't able to get my knife out, and he carried on getting up and I carried on shooting him in the head. Finally it seemed like he properly died and I wasn't able to get my knife back. So now I don't have a knife. Is this normal? Are they as disposable as RE1 knives?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Knives have durability now. Slicing with them drains negligible durability, but you can use them as defense items at the cost of 33% durability. If it's weak when you fend off a zomb, it'll break, but otherwise you can get it back when you down them. It's an interesting mix of classic and RE1 knives. They kick rear end DPS-wise, too.

So it's a good idea to not use them when a zombie attacks, then? I'm playing on the mid difficulty level "standard" I think, the one above easy/assist/whatever. In RE1 I had to button mash if I was grabbed. In this one it looks like Leon automatically shakes the zombie off? And if I get the knife prompt I can just not use it if I want to keep my knife? Thanks for the help everyone.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

joylessdivision posted:

Have you encountered the statue puzzle in the room with the closing walls, because I've been stuck on that poo poo for like a year and every time I've tried to get past it I just keep failing.

Yeah. so you go around the back of the crushing walls and push the switch. This makes the crushing walls go in and out at a regular interval. You'll see there that there's a statue in a recess. at the back. You want to put the other statue in a similar recess. Now you go back to the crushing walls and push the other statue in all the way, between the crushing walls. You're safe since the statue blocks the walls. Once it's as far in as it goes, wait for the walls to hit the statue and start moving back. Now you push the statue to the left, to the other hole. You'll have just enough time to push it in before the walls hit it again. This opens a hole in the floor and links back to the mansion and probably gives you some items or something.

edit: there's no item on any statue, in that room.

edit 2: you can finish it in one session from there. It'll take about 2-4 hours maybe if you're anything like me. I got 15 hours for my first playthrough, although IDK if I left it running at any point, and I know I died a bunch of times having not saved in the last hour.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 11, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Does this game use more than 8gb of ram? I have an nvidia 980, and my cpu is a 3770k and the game is on an ssd. my ram is the only possible weak point AFAIK and I get a good frame rate with a sudden drop/stutter every now and then, especially if I look around. I'm just using the recommended settings. Is there an optimization breakdown anywhere?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Playing this for the first time, as Leon. When Mr X finally appears and starts stomping towards Leon, Leon says: "Jesus CHRIST!" and that has entertained me for the last half hour. I can't stop laughing. I love all of his exclamations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Finished Leon A for the first time. What a great game. The hardest bit for me was the Birkin boss where you have to hit him with a shipping container twice. I eventually figured out that you could knife him to make him stunned for long enough. Before that, kiting him and running around was really hard.. I also seem to have missed at least one key. The only safe I know I missed was one safe in the sewer, but I missed some sewer items and because of the key, some rooms in the police station.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Mr X was following me around when I hadn't unlocked enough stuff /cleared routes, so I played hide + seek with him around the one freestanding long shelf in the library. Eventually he went up the ladder, down the stairs, back to the shelf for more hide and seek (3rd person enables you to see him without him seeing you) and then he left. It felt pretty stupid and funny.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Since I played 1 remake (never played 1 normally), 2 remake which I'm loving after enjoying RE2 back in the day, I intend to get 4 on the switch or pc, I enjoyed the ps2 version back in the day. Is 3 any good? Which of the other games is worth playing? I have finished 4 and 5 before. I own 6 and revelations 1 as well. Is there some sort of resident evil ranking?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Please help me, I'm stuck: Finished Leon A, doing Claire B.

I went to the parking lot, cleared it entirely and went back up to the chief's office. Now I'm stuck in that little area on the ground floor (interrogation room), chief's office level (there's a passageway but it's blocked by a safety shutter) and storage room upstairs, which is locked too. I tried going all the way back through the parking lot and I can get back as far as the Birkin fight and no further. I saw online that I'm supposed to take the stairs up to the break room, but the door from the parking lot to those stairs, is locked and doesn't seem to require a key.

edit: how do I get back to the rest of the police station? I'm stuck.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

go down the ladder and put out the fire on the helicopter

Thanks! I found it finally.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My first play through was 7:30 and I was aiming for a much better time in Claire b. I got 6:15 in the end but my rank was a lot better. I spent at least an hour trying to figure out how to leave the chiefs office area in b. What's the first speed run challenge I should aim for?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kibayasu posted:

I guess two pistols is so many? The first time you get the second pistol it’s a big upgrade but her revolver becomes relevant again during the sewers. The big advantage of the automatic pistol is there’s no wait for maximum accuracy.

I think the same, it is a lot of pistols. I played her in second run and there were 3 pistols. I think the deal is: you find one kind of ammo, and can craft the other kind. But 2 of the pistols use the same kind of ammo I think. And then once you get the frame upgrade, another of the pistols becomes a magnum, as the guy above said, and that's a third kind of pistol ammo.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm on PC. I finished the game one time, Leon A Claire B. If I want to get a good time and start getting stuff, like the knife... should I not bother this next playthrough? I didn't play it recently, like 2-3 weeks ago maybe. Also I'm on PC and use a controller. Is that ok or is everyone using a mouse? I'm on the couch so I suppose I'll use a controller anyway, just want to know if it's a big handicap.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
How does new game plus/ unlocks work? I ask because normally you get a savegame with 'cleared' on it but I don't seem to have that game. do I just 'new game' and it knows using my achievements, what I've done? What about the Mr Raccoon statues?

edit: I did Leon 1 then Claire 2. I am going to do a Claire 1 Leon 2 run now. Everything I find online is like 'aha did you know, if you do leon 1 you can do claire 2!!!!' but I'm asking how unlocks are tracked and if I have to load a save or something (apparently not?)

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 22, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It's time for me to play RE3.

What version is the best version? Including emulation? (also can someone tell me about it: is there a 2-character choice again? does it matter who you pick?)
edit: VVVV Thanks!

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 25, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out the pc version of RE3 is <edited out files stuff>. It gave an option 'easy' or 'hard'. I selected easy and started with an assault rifle. Surely that's cheating? Or is that a normal thing that happens?

edit: wiki says that's normal. Should I play on easy or is hard 'normal' mode ?

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 31, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Playing New RE2 again as Claire: I thought I read that lickers go down in one flame round or 2 acid rounds? I think 2 acid rounds is correct, but I'm having a hell of a time getting them to die with a single flame round. Am I supposed to be aiming for a certain place? Also, is it worth using the stock for the grenade launcher? I'm playing on standard and not trying to speedrun.

edit: when I entered the dog kennel room, there were 2 lickers in there. I killed one by flaming it, running back out of the door and then coming in and flaming it again (I waited 'til it stopped burning, first). The next one I flame rounded it, ran away because it was still alive, came back, emptied my pistol into it, ran way, came back, pistol again, ran away, came back, and killed it with a second flame round. I thought I was able to nail them much easier when I played this a couple of months ago?

final edit: when I entered the room, the licker that was further into the room had always gone back to the starting position (from entering the dog room, it's all the way across, then to the right in the opposite corner from the doorway, behind a wall). Even if it had followed me all the way to the door, it was back at the starting position really quickly. Maybe enemies reset when you leave a room, if they're not de-limbed or dead? Maybe I should have stayed in there to battle the licker and by leaving I was resetting its health or something?

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 1, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Are Mr. Raccoon toys 'saved' between playthroughs? I missed the one in the orphanage and I'm pretty sure I can't go back there. I'm back in the police station after doing most of the sewers. Can I just get the ones in the police station now and get the orphanage one some other time?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for those replies. I finished again as Claire A, with a time of about 30 minutes away from an A. I think I'll unlock the knife, do Leon b, then I'll be done with this after four play throughs. Speed running seems fun but I've got to many other games to play.

This game is a masterpiece. The excellent source material really helps. The concept art is really great, too.

Was this patched to be harder? Those two lickers outside the cryo Lab are bullshit hard. They each took 2 acid rounds, and did flying jumps and licked me from around the corner. You don't get enough time to reload the launcher even if you run away around the corner first, they will appear in front of you as you're running away, reloading. Maybe a flash grenade first would help?

Also what's the best use of the spark shot? I used it to fry zombies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I did Leon A, Claire B, Claire A and now I'm on Leon B. It seems to be the hardest run so far.

The lickers were really kicking my rear end in the police station and Mr. X gave me a really hard time. I'm in the sewers now but I think I wasted about 30 minutes just on Mr X and licker avoidance (trying to access the locker room for the final time after getting both keys). Claire just didn't have this problem. I think Claire is a lot easier to play as then Leon. It also turns out that I missed one Mr. Raccoon (bus outside back of Police station with Claire) and all my Claire saves are gone :) so I won't have the infinite knife soon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Backhand posted:

Don't worry too much about not being able to unlock the infinite knife right away. When I finally got it was definitely one of those cases where I realized I didn't really need it anymore. It's nice having another knife, but by the time you get it it's.... just another knife. The infinite durability doesn't mean much because by necessity, you'll have learned how to use your ammo effectively by then.

I don't know. I've (almost) finished this 4 times and I'd love always having a knife that you can kill downed zombies with. It would save a TON of ammo. I assume if you use it on a boss to prevent a grab, it's lost forever?

edit: why does everyone say that the best place for boards is the west corridor? from what I've noticed:

-Stairs near darkroom, window needs one
-one for the east office when the zombie starts banging on the window, you can prevent it getting in.
-one for the east corridor right outside that same office
-one for the place near the interrogation room, if you get there fast enough the police zombie can't get in

But you only go through the entire west corridor like twice, and no matter what a ton of zombies get in. IDK how many times I go to the dark room for instance.

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
there are enough windows in the west corridor that you can put all of your boards into them and have some still remain unboarded. I think one big thing with this game is to know what windows need boarding. Like the single window in the east office (not that it's important, as you said) and the single window in the interrogation room corridor: there are like 3 windows in each of those locations and only one gets a zombie trying to come through.

Like, which windows in the west corridor actually get zombies coming in through them? And the first zombie that comes in, I think comes in no matter what, you can't avoid it. Same deal with the darkroom zombie: there's no escaping that one coming in the window no matter what you do.

I was running super low on ammo in leon B when I returned to the police station, but since then I've picked up a bunch.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I tried gun shop ghost survivor, it was super hard, I got double teamed by 2 g's in the sewer on my 4th try, and the licker got me on the 5th. I moved to the orphanage lady since it's 2 stars vs 3 for the other one, but that one seems even harder. I got as far as licker basketball court on my 4th or 5th try and got nailed. drat, this is hard!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

buglord posted:

So do I do the RE7 dlc? Jump to Re2 remake? I liked the gameplay of this one. I wanna avoid the arcadey ones if possible.

I'm playing them all. 1 (remake on steam) is still playable, and I just bought 3 as a psone classic (I was not aware it was still on sale!) so I'm playing it on my vita this weekend.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just did a practice fast run with Claire on standard. I got 3:44 and only found out afterwards what the S rank time was. I was pretty close! Also unlocked the inifnite knife this run. I forgot that the final boss was G4. I continued on him once and didn't use my best weapons because I thought I'd probably need them for g5. Hm, I think I'm going to reload my last save and try again, actually.

edit: that last save was 3:29, so that doesn't work :) but I think I did pretty well. This game is so good!

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 7, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing nemesis on hard on vita, and god drat it's hard. I can do it though! I recently finished 1 and have played through the og 2, and the new 2. (also, evil within 2 is half off for the next hour or two, I picked it up).

in nemesis I'm trying to knife zombies... should I forget that? I'm taking too many hits trying to be really cool and shooting them til they fall over then knifing them 'til they die. I think maybe that's a bad strategy, or maybe just a strategy for better players. Is there any good way to just practice the dodges?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a bit further in RE3, I might be almost halfway or so (?) and am returning with all of the stuff for the cable car/tram. The gravedigger is absolutely wrecking my poo poo. Please, help me. I go in with full health and 2 full heals (I can bring more if needed) and even that is not enough. 3 hits in a row with no way to dodge and almost no time in between them, then next time I try to climb the ladder he's already right there and already attacking. I can press both buttons and drop the ladder but can't get up the drat ladder. I'm not trying to attack, just trying to leave.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I decided to do an 'all games' RE run through. Finished 1, finished 2 remake about 5 times, I love it. I'm on 3: Nemesis, and still stuck at the grave digger first encounter when you fall down the hole. It's just too fast for me. If it's in one place and attacking, I cannot for the love of god run to the ladder before it moves to the ladder and attacks. I just can't get up the drat ladder. I've tried about 6+ times. Just, carry on trying? I'm on Vita playing the ps1 version if that makes any difference.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
That looks fun. Will someone translate or is it just going to be in Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Wanderer posted:

I'm honestly a little more surprised that anyone else is considering any kind of product launch in 2020 at all. Especially the first and fourth quarters of the year are going to be a killing floor.

Are you talking about the stock market, or new console releases, or some other thing? I know the ps5 is coming out in Dec 2020. What else?