Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Trying to figure out if this game is just Outlast with less green, but not actually spoil the poo poo out of major things like I just did watching a stream, is pretty difficult. The demo and random gameplay bits I've seen definitely make it out to be very Outlast-ey with the dark and spooky -> OH NO JUMP SCARE -> repeat stuff only now sometimes you can shoot the jump scare antagonist. RE7 also seems to have the OH NO HE'S NOT DEAD SURPRISE trope over and over again.

I kind of want to be super wrong on all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Jack spectacle was pretty cool but if I had to replay it multiple times it would be grating. Kinda like when you realize the stealth is bullshit and just haul rear end everywhere.

Crowetron posted:

Ada says something to the effect of "I met Wesker long before you did" and Krauser replies "We'll see if that's true soon enough." Like, what? I get you don't trust her, K-man, but what does that mean? Are you planning on verifying that? How, ask Albert "Everything I've Ever Said Has Been A Lie" Wesker? And why? What difference would that make in your current situation?

That line caught me when I replayed it not too long ago. I'm guessing it's either lovely writing or poor translation and it's meant to imply she's been on Team Wesker for longer than Krauser so her loyalty is less questionable than his. The whole thing is hamfisted and she immediately does the Ada thing and betrays everyone anyway so it's probably not worth thinking about too much.

Krauser is still a dumb as hell non-character.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 30, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The best way to play RE6 is to just run up to zombies and punch them because the camera shake when you shoot is nauseating.

I quit playing four hours or something into the game just after the boobs cutscene because unlimited zombies drained all my ammo. It's been a while but I don't remember even knowing you could counter. Started watching Lunethex's LP recently and thought "hey this actually isn't that bad once you know it's a melee-only game" but then realized it only seemed playable because the person playing it made every counter and knew the game to an insane degree.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The part that specifically killed it was the unlimited spawns. I don't know how many areas in the game are like that but we just kept shooting and then figured that we missed looting or whatever and would have to start over and that killed it. Also not having a defensible position because enemies get teleported in is supremely annoying to me for some reason, but that's just a personal quirk. Knowing about all the counters and quickshots and sliding and wacky melee would have probably made it something we stuck with after a quick trip to gamefaqs.

RE7 is thankfully pretty awesome and way less frustrating than any videos/impressions would have led me to believe.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Also, I don't think that's Chris in the ending.

The full name is given in the credits. While they could pull some bullshit when the DLC comes out I'd say it's a safe bet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can't for the life of me get the Spicy Meat-a-Ball. I've let Molded beat the poo poo out of me like 15 times and I just got sick of the loading screen and gave up.

They can kinda be dicks when they know you're wanting that cheevo. All you can really do is block the normals and wait for the big hug. It took me three reloads to eventually get it. One time I placed the bomb but it refused to detonate so he just lumbered around with a bomb on his head until I hit retry.

quote:

Did you unlock anything cool for 100%-ing it? They datamined that you can get the chainsaw but haven't been able to figure out how to get it.

There are unlocks for getting all the statues, easy/normal/madhouse clears and the under-4-hour speedrun. The other achievements are just achievements.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The biggest shame about things like that is these days you can assume terrible voice acting in an otherwise good game is entirely on purpose and we'll never have these wonderful performances again.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Vague Memory Review of RE0: I got through the first section and then didn't give the proper items to the character that would have to fight a boss in the next section and at that point was so screwed I couldn't be bothered replaying. 2/10

I remember thinking the character switching and solving puzzles via two people was interesting. It just didn't work in the context of save points and boss fights.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Remember the rooms you run through the most, don't kill everything either, not enough ammo.

That's probably true in the beginning but I murdered everything but one dog and the snakes by the end and had a buttload of ammo left over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hey guys just checking in to see if I should buy the...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Both of the new DLCs really focus on combat to the exclusion of puzzles and atmosphere. By the end I was just glad it was over.

Ok. Thanks for that. :(