Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

SolidRed posted:

I think there is absolutely no way Wesker doesn't come back in this game in some way. Having just seen the end of CV last niht I'm hoping they bring up the Code Veronia virus/Steve somewhere in the new game as well since RECV ends with Wesker saying he has the sample of the virus from Steve and that he may be also come back to life to fight another day and then promptly forgets about all about it.

I just want RE6 to be the MGS4 of the series but while I'm not sure Capcom could pull it off with a storyline this twisted I feel like that could very well be what they are trying to do. No other resident evil game has even had this many recurring characters in the same game.

I agree, I would like to see Capcom bring things to a close at some point and wrap up all the loose plot threads the way MGS4 did for its respective series. However Capcom seems hell bent on just continuing to add more to it as if the series will never lose steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

I love that the control scheme has evolve to match modern era but I still have mixed feelings on this game after watching the gameplay footage. I'm not even mad about the departure from the normal RE style considering I actually enjoyed RE5 but this game just looks like it might end up being a huge clusterfuck.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Fun in a shut your brain off and watch mindless action sequences kind of way.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

This always comes up, but you're wrong. Anderson and Jovovich actually met on set of RE1, and then he didn't direct any of the sequels until the 4th one, at which point the franchise was already proven. So it's not a case of "I'M GONNA PUT MY WIFE IN MY MOVIE!!!" Three Musketeers on the other hand is a total case of that.

Also, the movies and games are very similar in that they've always both been really loving stupid B-Movie plots. It's just the earlier games went with B horror movies, and the movies just went out B action movies from the start, which is what all the games past 4 are anyway, so they're pretty much the same thign at this point.

Also the plot of the movies gets more retarded with each installment.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I think the idea is that after RE4, Leon tried to move on. Like, he has a good job, he's bros with the President of the United loving States, he hasn't seen a zombie in at least a couple years. And then all of a sudden, everything goes to poo poo, all his friends die, including his boss, and I think the Secret Service frowns on letting the Prez get zombiefied and then shot in the face, so he's probably out of a job, too. Dude's stressed as hell and just wants to get away from crazy monster-men.

Chris, though? Chris don't give a gently caress. He fought his archenemy in a duel to the death inside an active volcano. His life has peaked, basically. Unless Wesker comes back with some sort of moonbase and challenged him to a zero-gravity sword fight, it is all downhill for Chris Redfield. He just grabs a bottle of Jack and starts punchin' zombies and bug monsters in the face because, hey, gotta punch somethin', right?

You probably just gave Capcom an idea for RE7; resurrect Wesker and give him a moon base.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Pickled Kittens posted:

His personality takes a turn for the sinister and calculating when he is offered an opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a moon base as an "an average joe".

Well I'm sold. I hope someone from Capcom is taking notes.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

So my usual co-op partner won't be getting this at launch so if anyone is up for running through it let me know. I'd rather not be saddled with an A.I partner if RE5 is any indication of how that can play out.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Dragonrah posted:

Man, I'm going to hate if I lose my co-op partner. Not many people can put up with my frequent and repeated efforts to kill and/or dick them over. Oh, you did the Croc QTE inin RE5 perfect the first time? Let's see if you can do it another 20 times.

I get as good as I give, btw.

It's not a truly good partnership until you have hosed with one another like that. Plus it helped that neither of us could take the game seriously with D.C Douglas' hammy performance.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

So Capcom announced DLC already. Three new modes that'll be exclusive to the 360 for a limited time. Already being advertised in commercials as well.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Decided to torture myself and see how badly Retribution turned out. I expected into be bad, but not as bad as it was. The whole damned thing makes very little sense and does its best to defy logic.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

I'm kinda shocked by how good this game plays. I'm so used to RE's controls sucking that I was genuinely amazed by how good everything felt once I started playing. Still I feel a little let down by the demo. I thought Leon's demo was good until I got to play Chris and Jake's more high octane affairs.

Now I think Leon will have the campaign that most closely resembles old school Resident Evil style gameplay but it'll be the least fun. Again, I love how over the top the series continues to get, and Chris and Jake's campaigns look to definitely deliver on the expected levels of ridiculousness.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

timeandtide posted:

See, I'm curious what this will entail. The public already knows that the US Gov nuked the city to stop the virus, so I hope Capcom goes batshit with retconning in some crazy conspiracy; with the way the President is coincidentally offed by an outbreak right before he tells all, I'd say it's an absurdly over-the-top way to "silence" him.

Edit: every time I remember that there's a "Neo Umbrella" in this game, I chuckle. It really is an anime villain name.

True, the public knows that the government took action to contain the outbreak by nuking Raccoon City. I would assume they'd play up the fact that Umbrella wasn't just making B.O.Ws for just anyone and that it was more of a government contract. That of course changed the narrative a bit to make it into more of a government conspiracy as opposed to Umbrella just being a shady mega corporation.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

charismaslover posted:

I haven't been in the loop for this game but I'm optimistic after playing the recent demo. Has there been any information regarding the villains yet? I know the game soon but it's weird that nothing major has been revealed.

Not yet. Maybe with a launch trailer. How long was it before they revealed Wesker as the villain in RE5?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Sounds like this guy hates the cutscene heavy approach. I wonder what he thinks of the Metal Gear series.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

I've been avoiding this thread since the game released because NBA 2K13 has monopolized my time. Without getting to spoilery on me, what's the general feeling on the game? Were the bad reviews justified?

I ask because honestly I have enjoyed what I've played so far. The gameplay really works well. Sure the story has taken some peculiar beats but at least the game is fun to play.

Lucid Delusion fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 15, 2012

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The bad reviews are exaggerated but it does have problems. There are a ton of obsfucated mechanics and an overabundance of 'gimmicky' areas (especially in Jake's campaign). If you've enjoyed what you've played you'll continue to enjoy it.

I started with Jake's first two chapters and it was the only part of the game so far that I found to be jumbled in its execution. Not so much in terms of plot points but in reference to the style of gameplay it tried to force you into. Some of it worked but when it didn't it really missed the mark by a mile.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Slowly making my way though this game but I finished chapter 2 of Chris' campaign. And I totally saw Finn's fate coming from the moment they introduced him. Kind of shame though, I thought it was cool having a bumbling rookie run with Chris and Piers. It just makes them seem that much more bad rear end when dealing with all that crazy poo poo.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The events go Eastern Europe > Bar scene > China.

Chris has "post-traumatic amnesia" and forgot who everyone was and that he served with Piers. No, really.

Well that explains why I was hazy on the timeline. Plus I didn't remember the names Piers called out during the bar scene.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Having finished the three main campaigns I found myself saying "WTF" a lot. I had fun, but some of Capcom's choices just make zero sense to me. Like killing off a very like able character in Piers. Or the ridiculous multi-tiered boss fight with Simmons(Zombie t-Rex will never be topped). And some of the general fuckery in Jake's campaign.

Still it pretty much falls in line with the rest of the series as far as being silly but entertaining. Now to screw around with Agent Hunt.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Man, that happened offscreen and he had just been injected with a virus. That's like code for 'see you in RE7.'

I wish but Capcom has a bad track record for following up on things like that. Plus they seem to enjoy having a revolving door of partners for Chris.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Len posted:

Related to Leon's boss it's not just a zombie lion. It's a zombie lion with a minigun growing out of its back.

A mini gun that shoots bones at you.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Has anyone tested out the new camera setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Tremors posted:

There are three new settings. FOV while standing/moving, FOV while aiming, and a horizontal offset to move the camera further to the side of your character when aiming. The first two are nice, but I was never really bothered by the default camera to begin with. I left the horizontal offset at default.

I never really had an issue with it either. I felt it was a little right at times but only when things got overly hectic which is few and far between. Plus with the new control scheme it wasn't difficult to maneuver out of a jam and reposition yourself anyway.