Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've never been a RE fan but already played and finished 5 and 6 on pc. I have 4 HD and Revelations (first one). Wich one should I play next? RE4 HD with the mouse fix is way better than the garbage I tried to play years ago but Revelation has less of the tank controls I hate. I really liked RE6 because it was more of a John Woo videogame than survival horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Geight posted:

Capcom's just been wanting to try out different marketing/pricing schemes lately, Ghost Trick on iOS had a really clever set-up where you could play the first two chapters for free and then buy the rest of the game, which a lot of people did because nobody could play just two chapters of Ghost Trick and not want the rest of it.

That's basically shareware like good old Doom, Duke3d and so. Nowadays with everyone having internet and smartphones makes it easier to market games like that (a good move in my opinion).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I made the link just because I had doomworld website open and Masters of Doom book right near me. Shareware was awesome because you could play something better than a demo, a full working episode of doom and not an early access game wich you'll never know if it will get finished.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm glad to see some love for RE6. It had awesome controls, melee and the plot was so silly it was fun. I don't even think they tried seriously with it and I love it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How good is Resident Evil HD Remaster on Steam? I'm interested if it's a bad port or is decent enough like RE4 Remaster also, is the DLC for RE5 worth it? I might go in a Resident Evil rampage during this christmas sale.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so I bit the bullet on RE6 for £5 and this is the most insane game ever made. I love it. It's awful.

In my short experience with Resident Evil games (5 then 6, now playing 4 and will play Revelations 1 afterwards) with about 1-2 hours of gameplay of RE1/2 on the PS1 back in the days, RE6 is an insane but drat fun game. Once you figure that diving and kicking stuff is so effective you just can't stop.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that there was a QTE switch on settings... :suicide:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always hated tank controls. That's my favourite thing about RE6, aside from the crazy Indiana Jones meet John McClane set pieces from Leon's campaign.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I beat RE5 some time ago (while still using GFWL) and I never tried it with Steamworks integration but I'm thinking on getting the Untold Histories DLC, is it worth the 8.99€ they ask? I liked RE5 overall and played most of it co-op even with the lovely GFWL.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

Yeah the RE5 DLC is pretty good. The two fairly short campaigns are fun and it adds a bunch of Merc stuff.

Lunethex posted:

Having put inordinate amounts of time into RE5 the dlc is top notch and deserves all the money. That it came to pc too is nothing short of amazing. Playing as josh and barry is loving Awesome too.

Thank you both, I have almost 3€ credit from trading cards so I'll get the DLC even cheaper. Gonna hop into RE5 again then!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

If Resident Evil 4 wasn't released as a Numbered Title, what would be a good title for it?

Resident Evil: Spain still uses pesetas instead of Euro and everyone sounds like they're Mexican considering the Galician language where the game is located.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm still playing RE4 and I'm in the castle. Just beat the blind dude that goes after the bells. Does the game improve? I'm not liking the castle so far compared to the previous sections, still, the game is fantastic but playing with actual mouse aiming. This had to be really annoying to aim with a controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played that one years ago and said gently caress it. When it came out on steam they had on beta for a while the mouse aiming (you still turn right/left with A/D) and felt way better. They basically mashed RE5's control scheme to RE4 and the game improved in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you don't like the game so far, nothing's gonna change your opinion. Also, using a controller actually makes the game challenging, if mouse aim is anything like using a Wiimote it makes the game infinitely easier, and also makes the TMP a gun worth using.

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the game, just being in the castle is what is boring for me. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, the stupid plot (looks like a common thing on all RE I've played) and Ashley being the ultimate enemy on the game since it's the longest scort mission ever made.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RE2 with suplexes and akimbo pistols. No, I'm not crazy :mrgw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PureRok posted:

I want Remake 2 to be like RE6. :getin:

That's what I meant. RE6 was stupid and crazy but also had the best control scheme of all RE games I've played. I've been playing RE1 HD and holy poo poo, the controls didn't age well at all. Now I remember why I just sit and watch others play Alone in the Dark rather than play myself.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I got it for like 12 on PC so, no.

Same here, I paid like 12€ for it and had a lot of fun while in RE4 after hitting the castle, all the remaining fun got thrown through the window also gently caress Asley. I even like RE5 more than 4. Yes I'm not an old school RE player but maybe that helps to see how clunky are the older ones. I agree that Chris' campaign is boring but the other three and mercenaries make up for it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That game is making Operation Raccoon City look nice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I wanted to be really excited for Umbrella Corps because I love ghetto-rear end shooters like this and I watched the new trailer and it just looks SO janky and boring holy poo poo.

I always tend to be cautious when games are not released but this game looks awful. Everything from the textures, animations, guns and zombies look really bad. It might end being fun but hell, they didn't a good job trying to show a good game in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have to admit that is kind of amusing that the arm shield lets you have a zombie munch your arm like a little pup while using it as shield against bullets. Other than that, I've seen HL2 mods with better presentation.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, I have enough RE on Steam to play before playing an Outlast copy. Yes, I'm one of those that started to play RE games with 4 because the tank controls. I played Outlast and had enough so I'll pass on this one if it's all the time like that. Everyone to their own I guess but after playing REmake I was kind of starting to like the old style but still liked more the action approach.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Spanish people are European and many look like most other Europeans.

As for the RE5 is racist argument, I was unaware it was ever disproven. As if you could ever disprove people's opinion of a game.

I'm spanish and yes, I'm just a white european that could pass as your average scandinavian dude. In fact most of the spaniards are mediterranean wich is derived from caucasian race. We had a strong germanic and celtic presence along with western asian roots.

So no, spanish can't be considered hispanic in the way north america refers to it. RE5 is as racist as RE4 would be. I'm spanish and no one has that mexican accent, we used Euros already when they made RE4 and they even have their own language in Galicia where the game happens, but I'm not offended at all because you know, Capcom and their lack of awareness.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vakal posted:

But if someone shot you in the head, it would explode into a giant scythe-tipped tentacle, right?

I don't even know at this point, may even grow another one like the alien dude in Men in Black :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

This is flat-out not true. It just installs GFWL in case you have an old RE5 save from it and want to port it to Steamworks. You don't need to upgrade to Gold.

I reinstalled RE5 like a month ago and kept crashing on startup, should I just look for the executable on RE5 folder to skip GFWL instalation? I just want a fresh save and see if I can play with a friend via Steamworks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They could just make a scientific research management game like one of these old kairosoft games for phones and sell shitloads of copies. Make it kind of dumb like the rest of the series with stuff like "hey, your product made 15% more zombies than your previous version, well done!".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

End of month 1: All operatives but four are dead, involved in repeated car crashes until dead, or horribly mutated and THEN dead.

Never ever let Leon be in your vehicle, it's a death sentence.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I'd like to thank Capcom for adding right stick aiming to RE4 PS4/Xbox One. It only took you guys a decade but it's here.

It took them long enough to let PC players (HD release) to even have proper mouse aiming. RE4 tank controls are sure something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd play the poo poo out of that. Something like Prototype but being an Umbrella experiment and doing quests either for the corporation or siding with survivors.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The spin part on QTEs is more about doing a perfect spin than doing it fast. I did them on PC putting my palm over the stick like it was an arcade stick and worked well for me. For some reason if you don't do it perfectly it doesn't reg it at all so you end doing twice the movements.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Krauser QTE is hilariously easy on the PC HD version since you can just mash X+C and LMB+RMB and never miss it. But yes, RE4 is really goofy while people mostly focused on punching boulders on RE5 or Leon crashing every vehicle he is in RE6.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm still super drat excited for RE7, though for some reason I got kinda disappointed when I saw combat - I was thinking the game was going to be an Outlast-style in which there was no way to defend yourself to make it scarier - though maybe it'll be like an Alien Isolation where you DO have weapons, but they probably won't save you too much

RE franchise got more ridiculous with each tittle, why would they remove combat when you can suplex or roundhouse kick zombies? Give me John Woo diving and boulder punching.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there a good video explaining RE6 brawling mechanics? I might reinstall it on PC and play some mercenaries.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is any of the RE2make DLC worth it? Before I pull the trigger and I get the base game or the deluxe edition (deluxe on GMG is cheaper than on Steam).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

its free isnt it? ghost survivors? the only dlc im aware of is extra costumes and unlock codes.

Yeah is all cosmetic stuff and I guess I can go safely with the base game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks! I got the base game (the unlocker wasn't on the deluxe edition, just cosmetics, the all in-game rewards is a separate purchase).

I played the timed demo on PS4 and PC back in the days and my RE experience is RE4, 5, 6 and 7. Anything I should know before I dive in? I didn't play the classic camera games so I'm more or less blind on this one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

- Head shots are tempting but kneecaps are your friend. Slow them fuckers down and/or just run by them when you can. Once they're on the ground, you can knife them up to save ammo.

- Use your window boards on the 1st floor west hallway (if you use them at all). You don't REALLY need them if you need the inventory space but walling up that area helps a lot.

- Flashbangs are underrated, especially on lickers, and can buy you time.

- Play blind your first time and only use guides to solve puzzles and poo poo (unless you like hunting down clues). There's a cool diagram someone made that gives you all the puzzle solutions if you don't feel like loving with that poo poo or get stuck. The exploration is half the fun

- FLAMETHROWER absolutely wrecks plant zombies. Aim at their feet and let them burn. A lot of people said they were a tough enemy but I found them easy unless you try to run around them.

- You can move all the library shelves at once when you get the jack. Start on the left and just keep pushing.

- Save the magnum for the big boys. Ammo is scarce for it.

That's about all I got I think

Thanks! I remember the knife having limited durability compared to other RE games, is that right? I liked to knife Las Plagas on RE4 :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

If you're able, play at 120fps cuz three engine has a quirk where if you knife at higher frame rates it does more damage

The demo ran at 100fps already back in 2019 (780Ti) so I guess I can just play at 120fps or more with my 1080Ti now for that :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Played a bunch last night and this morning:

Explored all I could in the RPD.
Got the three medallions and got to the underground thing. Fought the ugly shoulder eyed dude and got to the garage. Went to the morgue and got the diamond key. Followed Ada and noticed that it was the jail. hosed off again to the ladder for the stash to replenish items and saved there.

I'm really low on ammo, like 3 shotgun shells and 20 9mm rounds and broke my last knife on a licker on RPD/after the medallion. I guess I'm leaning too heavily on shooting and the unlocked items (infinite ammo poo poo) are on the stash but I want to avoid using them. Having a harder time with ammo compared to the other RE games I've played by far.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

Are you doing Leon A or Claire A for your first run?

Leon A? I started the game with him.
I'll keep posting my playthrough if none has issues with the 5000th post about the first run :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

More RE2make progress!

Something that isn't a spoiler: gently caress Mr X. X is not giving it to me, like, he is just annoying and feels less of a treat than Jack Baker from RE7. They could have just gone with him appearing in a few zones and not doing patrols around RPD.

I continued my journey through the garaje/jail. Got to the jail, met the guy and then went to solve the electric panel puzzle.

Did some exploration, mostly to the east side of the RPD. As I said, triggered Mr X. So I went for fast exploring (got the diamond and spades key exhausting every location on the RPD). Looted everything and only missed the heart key that I guess is for Claire runs so the RPD (clock tower included), all two keypad buttons for the numbered lockers... etc... So far the worst part was the jail after grabbing the garage's card. I tried to waste ammo (previous save) and kill all zombies inside the cells but they respawn after you trigger the event so I reloaded and did it without wasting ammo. I did it a few times because despite drawing zombies to the south-west cell, they "teleport" to the start of the jails when you take the other route while avoiding Mr X.

After leaving the garaje, (got the long barrel for the shotgun at the armory) sewer time! Exploration, kneecapping... weird big rear end enemies, a flamethrower after solving a puzzle with two fuses (the ones that you use afterwards). Bit meh but managed to get both the chess puzzle door open on the water control room, and a key that opened two rooms: one with some powder and another leading to an elevator that looks like it sends me back to the RPD, that I looted completely so,
is it worth going back there? Or should I just progress through the door I just opened?

Screenshots of my RPD and Sewer progress: