Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ImpAtom posted:

Considering the ending I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

What do you mean? The ending was incredibly vague and low content so I'm curious what you took away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vikar Jerome posted:

Woo, 100%'ed re7. All achievements and unlocks. Last time i did that for a game so close after release was the pc version of re2. Hmm, suppose i better get back to this life thing until the dlcs come out.

Also remake2 is totally having a vr mode, i think alot of that early photogeomtry stuff had things for remake2 so its on the REngine at least. Reminds me there was a blonde character in that stuff i originally thought was mia...

I can't for the life of me get the Spicy Meat-a-Ball. I've let Molded beat the poo poo out of me like 15 times and I just got sick of the loading screen and gave up.

The other achievement I'm missing is fly swatter. I don't have any pre-Marguerite saves and I don't wanna burn 90 minutes getting to her again. Arg.

Did you unlock anything cool for 100%-ing it? They datamined that you can get the chainsaw but haven't been able to figure out how to get it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are multiple ways of unlocking things. It's either the Walking shoes or the Xray that can come from either 4 hours or from getting all Mr Everywheres, I think.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Starting with RE7, all the characters are based on 1 to 1 face mappings of real life people. Check out the real life Lucas and Jack, they're crazy accurate.

I'm guessing they had to redesign Redfield because of their new method, since there aren't many real life people that look like Boulder Punch Redfield.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are these just real life humans that inspired the in-game models? Because I mean that Lucas and Jack and co were created by literally using a human head as the source. Hard to explain the difference. Like... I'm pretty sure RE7 models require a real life human being. There's no way the current engine could have RE5 Chris Redfield in it unless we found a real life dude that looked exactly like him so they could do the face-map.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Castor Poe posted:

So, the only FPS horror game I liked was Alien: Isolation and I like my RE goofy and b-moviesque as gently caress. Will I like REVII?

Download and play the free prologue/demo! You'll know exactly whether you'll like it or not.

I love it, but some people can't stand the controls. You will never once in the game sprint down a hallway, strafing and going full auto with your assault rifle before landing a dope 360 no-scope.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think the real game is far more fun than the demo, but I can't imagine anyone who hated the demo would like the game?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Castor Poe posted:

I guess I'll wait until it's on sale. Thanks guys!

What would you play it on? It's on sale for XB1 and PS4 right now.

It's one of my favorite games I've played in years, just to make a personal recommendation. I've played through it 6 times and done every ounce of DLC and am thirsty for more still.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ethan rules. He hates bugs, hates birthday parties, and goes from zero to OK, FINE! in the blink of an eye

Clancy also rules. I'm just sad he never got to Burn this loving house down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He'd crash the car and things would proceed from there

"hey, it's that dog!" *swerves to avoid it, crashes, Welcome to the Family Son'd*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If Huey is such a good weapon them how come he stepped in a bear trap

Checkmate, doggos

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kibayasu posted:

Oh right, that's the game they took the model for Jill in RE5 from.

I've only played 4, 5 and 7 but I've seen pics from basically every RE game. Is there a reason why Jill became a blonde sex assassin lady in RE5? Wasn't she... very different, before?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Alteisen posted:

Mind controlled, I think she went blond cause of lack of melanin or something? I don't remember the explanation.

Yeah I remember in RE5 I had to reach deep into her cleavage and pull a robot scarab out of it and then she stopped trying to kill me. I guess blonde is just a side effect of mind control? Not the craziest thing in the series by a long shot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't ruin a perfectly good memory, you goddamn downer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Steroids are the only healing item in RE7 's Adventures of Skinny Redfield DLC.

We can only hope that he gets progressively larger throughout the mission before culminating in a final grudge match against RE5's long thought-defeated mastermind...

the BOULDER

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Capcom explained why Redfield looks the way he does

- Game is photorealistic, and Old Redfield is a cartoon
- RE7 literally requires a human face with mapping software to create assets
- There is no way whatsoever to use existing art assets without recreating them from scratch, so if any other old timers show up, they're going to be portrayed by a real life model that looks kinda like them

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only healing items in Not a Hero are steroids, no joke. Hopefully he'll be jacked up by the end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All the Likeness-Models are just regular-rear end people (models living in Toyko, appears to be the casting criteria). You can google their names and the top results are their facebook/instagram/twitter and whatnot. I wonder if they get heckled by RE Nerds asking if Wesker's dead and when we get to kill Lucas

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The face models actually look unbelievably, eerily, perfectly accurate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/5og1vo/spoiler_re7_face_models/

The only one that had any significant modification is Grandma Baker http://www.acquamodels.com/model/1033

Apparently the models "got scanned" in 2015 and that was the whole process. Stand in one of those Airport Dick Detector Tubes for a moment, and they've got an art asset ready to go.

I'm willing to bet they did their best to find a Redfield lookalike. They literally chose exclusively models who already lived in Tokyo. They're not flying David Boreanaz to Japan on an RE Game Budget.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Capcom: OK people so we had to use a real life human for Redfield and also the guy who recorded all his grunts and screams from RE5 wasn't available. This is gonna confuse people. How do we get the point across that he's Redfield?

Also Capcom: How about the only thing he says is, "I'm Redfield"?

Capcom: Good, good. But people might think that's a code name or he's the brother or something.

Also Capcom: And we call him Chris Redfield in the credits?

Capcom: Nice! I think we're all set here.

Players: WHOA WHOA WHOA what the gently caress

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What common sense are you talking about? I feel like you're watching 1954's Godzilla and patting yourself on the back for noticing it's just a guy in a monster suit.

Yeah, Redfield looks and sounds like a completely different person. It's clearly because of a technical limitation.

And what could they have possibly done better than have him introduce himself by name with a lingering close-up and a dramatic helmet reveal? They straight up owned that poo poo. They could've had him pull a Wilson-from-Home-Improvement and always have poo poo in front of his face. Or do like they did in RE5 (use a 3d model from a different game and say it's Jill with side effects that make her look different) and say that his virus exposure caused muscle wasting and facial bone-morph?

Maybe it comes down to personal preference, but given that Redfield literally had to look like a new person I think they made the best of the situation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

veni veni veni posted:

You not understanding how it was a poorly executed narrative moment

No, I don't understand (your opinion that) it was a poorly executed narrative moment.

veni veni veni posted:

good for you, you caught on before like, literally every other person that played the game.

Awesome. Didn't seem that complicated so I'm pretty surprised.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just saying the way it was presented was pretty confusing for completely understandable reasons.

Here's something we can maybe have an actual conversation about? What was confusing about it? I was being facetious earlier, but he literally introduces himself by name, and they reinforce the name in the credits. Was it just confusing because he looks different?

When I first saw it, I literally thought to myself "ah that makes sense. Buff Redfield would look stupid and they're going for a realistic thing".

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the technical limitation is that they had a limited pool of white male models to choose from so they picked one that seemed okay and called it a day.

also Yeah, this is 100% what I mean. Call it an "art direction limitation" if you want, but given the design decisions they made, they were limited to actual human males so they went with the one that kinda looks the same if you squint your eyes (insert Gob quote about the Japanese here)

additional edit. The internet is stupid. I don't actually care enough about resident evil, or character models, or Godzilla or whatever to justify being so snippy and flippant with you. Too easy to let temper flare up. Sorry about that.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 17, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lunethex posted:

You forgot the part about him being dressed in Umbrella digs.

I'm very excited to learn more about that. I don't have a clue where they're going with it, but "inverted color logo" and "flowery calligraphy instead of bold text" are an overt indicator of "We're the Opposite Now". Plus.. having the savior of the world on the payroll.

So... good guys roaming around killing BOW's?

But we don't really know poo poo, so it could just as easily be Secret Wesker Clone ordering his unknowing pawns to "help" BOW victims while gathering the data needed for Complete Global Saturation

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Their explanation could be Excuse Making, sure, but it's at least consistent with the rest of their game. The models aren't just face models - they're head to toe scanned for this. Andre is a gangly tall guy in real life, Jack is a solid bastard. Even Grandma just had a wrinkle texture added to her skin, with nothing edited or changed otherwise.

They did modify their hair though. Also you might have noticed everybody's hair looked horrible!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wanna know how that sexy Chris Evans-looking son of a bitch doesn't get Helmet Hair

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RE7 seemed like a fairly "Grounded" (by RE standards) reboot... I'd be pretty surprised if we got shot into space.

Wouldn't complain though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Like he got actually stuck in a wall and couldn't move??

He also has a few scripted appearances that can make him "teleport". His Kool Aid Man trick in the hallway scares the poo poo out of me every time.

Fuckin' Jack Baker. He's a real monster the last time you fight him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He was basically just walking endlessly into an open door until I moved far enough away for him to rubber band teleport. He tends to be drawn to open doors that you shut should you turn your back on them, which I ultimately used to trick him away from the room I wanted to access.

Did you trigger the scene where your foot ends up detached from your body? I didn't get it until my third play through and it really startled me. They did such a good job of making Jack feel like this unstoppable force of nature.

Makes it extra satisfying when you're finally armed and get to needle away at his health.

And tell me you watched the Happy Birthday vhs tape??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Finally beat it. That was a pretty solid finale, I got a good chuckle there with the main character's monologue.

WTF was up with...well, okay, major spoilers:

I pick between Mia and Zoe, I save Zoe because I felt she had risked the most in trying to help me and I had given her my word. Mia gets pissed, Zoe and I go off, and then Zoe just...dies? Then I thought I was playing AS Zoe again who had been restored but no, I'm Mia, but how did Mia end up however far down river and in the swamp ship ruins? Why even give me that choice if it doesn't matter? It seems cruel to Zoe but also sort of pointless, since they'd established her character and kind of given us reasons to like both Mia *and* Zoe. It's such a damned waste. They let Helena live despite her being responsible for the death of the President of the United States via zombification but they kill Zoe for the crime of...there being three characters when they only needed two for the finale?

Otherwise, what a well-crafted little game. It feels very RE, but it also feels pretty new and different for what the series has done. It's not strictly revolutionary or anything, but I think since the PT trailer we've wanted a big budget survival horror game in this style and Capcom was able to deliver a solid experience, even though a shotgun dissolves tension just as well as it dissolves monster skulls.

Are the DLCs worth checking out?

The DLCs are fantastic. Might be fair to say they're a little overpriced, but as long as you're not a teen on allowance I think you should pick them both up.

The Zoe thing is hilariously bad. I strongly suspect a last minute "Ya gotta have an Ethical Choice that rewards multiple playthroughs!" executive order.

If you had chosen Mia, it would make sense why she wakes up in the mud around the boat crash. I chose Mia first and assumed that I would play as Zoe in the boat segment, but no they just went "ehhhh gently caress it, whatever" and had Mia wake up in the mud.

Tinfoil Hat Thought - Marguerite and Mia get calcified and explode into tiny little crumbs. Jack and Zoe calcify but don't crumble to bits.

The "psychic dream segment" features exclusively Jack and Zoe, the only two people to get calcified but not crumble. Maybe that's relevant? Maybe Zoe's instant "death" isn't totally pointless?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder if the Chris DLC will deal with Lucas or if they're saving him for a sequel.

Confirmed 100% to be the DLC.

And funny enough, according to a data mine, there are no herbs or first aid potions in it. Only. Steroids. No joke.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fit em all up in there posted:

Would it be better to play the RE 7 DLC after you finish the game or can you play it anytime?

I think every single bit of it would benefit from being after you finish the game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

clockworx posted:

I loved Jack's birthday and bedroom, just started in on nightmare. Kind of meh on 21 but had more than enough fun on the others to make up for it.

I found Survival and Survival+ to both be far, far more fun than the "Story" 21. I was also home with the flu and on tons of drugs so it may not be the most stellar recommendation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Marguerite fight seems pretty drat broken in Hard mode. I get she can take a lot of punishment but I mean, I empty a tiny arsenal into her and eventually just die trying to knife her to death.

The Madhouse difficult is really wonderful in a lot of ways but the forced combat checks feel unbalanced in their difficulty.

Are you using the Albert with enhanced ammo? She does down FAST.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

they are also both rigged bullshit but that's also the entire point of it so it's kinda still fun

Does the AI cheat outside of the obvious times that it's scripted? I felt like I literally only won when I had 21, or if I played a 24 card. The 24 card breaks the AI completely and they don't try to hit on anything above like 15.

EDIT: I really loved Madhouse mode. It was the 4th time I played through the game (I did a blind normal run, a 4-hour easy run, and a all files/coins/bobbles easy run first) and it was a challenge even with all the various unlockables. They did a great job of shuffling up some of the enemy placements/scares, too. The crawler right before the trip to the basement scared the poo poo out of me, as did Jack showing up WAY earlier than expected, and running at the drat speed of light.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 21, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CJacobs posted:

Yes. The special Hoffmans in the survival mode have an infinite supply of their gimmick trump card, whatever it is. The one that stacks 2-ups on you until you will lose in one round always has enough to put you in that state, and the one that plays all his trump cards so he is in no danger has an infinite number of those as well.

I figured there are certain... "loadouts" or whatever that some Hoffmans have (definitely noticed the guy that played endless shield trumps), but I meant more like... does Hoffman have a higher percentage chance than you of getting the perfect draw.

I felt like they were getting the 7 on their 14, or the 6 on their 15, or the 11 on their 10 SO MANY TIMES.

Confirmation bias blahblahblah

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I can't believe I saw a complaint about the RE7 garage fight! That was such a memorable and unique experience for me. And it has several possible outcomes and solutions, too.

Boss fights in a game like this are always going to be difficult to please everyone. You're either going to get complaints of "that was dumb, i just had to shoot the obvious glowing weak spots" or you're going to get "there's no indication of what I'm supposed to do!"

Not from the same people, but the ideal boss fight for one person is going to be either cryptic and frustrating or obvious and stupid depending on who you ask.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's hilarious that it can either be a "run over the immortal zombie" or a "play bullfighter with a Camaro" encounter.

If you don't have tons of New Game+ gear, is it a game over for Jack to steal the car? I can't imagine any of the weapons you'd have at that point would be able to take him down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raxivace posted:

I'm trying to clear the rest of the RE7 DLC before Persona 5 comes out and Ethan Must Die is making me hate the millions of years of evolution on Earth that gave birth to this game.

I can clear most of the mansion fairly consistently now but it really feels like too much of my success in a run is down to whether I get the right weapons from the RNG boxes, even with killing most of the enemies with traps. Like if I'm not getting a shotgun at the right point welp might as well give up.

EMD is a ridiculously challenging mode. I'm not surprised at how many people think it's Feature #1 and also that it's Literally The Worst. Once I beat it I never looked back, but plenty of people are just doing speedrun after speedrun!

Is there a part you most commonly die at? You also literally never need a shotgun. Any environment that favors a shotgun should also have an explodey barrel, floor gas trap, or trip mine.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raxivace posted:

And Marguerite has been killing me the few times I've gotten to her. I don't think that fight itself is necessarily the hardest thing ever but its really discouraging to die to her and then be stuck running through the drat mansion again.

Truth. I was very disheartened when she one-shot killed me on my first visit.

Those 4-legged jumpers right after the TV Room are a serious bitch too. They survive any shotgun blast with like 1%HP and then nuke you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nobody warned me about the tripmine in that exact safe spot. I was SUPER pissed when it went *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mia is a chump. If you block her deranged wild chainsaw swing, an attack that looks like it would kill you right through your block, you do a sick counter punch in the face that stuns her.

So seriously you just have to land one headshot, triggering her crazy swing, then block, then chop chop chop. Repeat!