Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has there been any info released about returning characters?

I think the game would be incredible if it was Billy and Carlos, under fake identities just toolin' around backwoods houses investigating mysterious. Like they're the Scooby Doo gang but the monsters are real. Episodic releases even. Chapter Two: Billy and Carlos run afoul of the Yeti.

Honestly Billy and Carlos toolin' around under fake IDs and combating bio-terror in various locations still fighting the good fight even though they're wanted men is a plot idea I think could have potential to be cool. Then poo poo gets real when Josh LEGEND Stone discovers Billy is still alive and works to hunt him down at all costs because he's pissssssssed over what Billy allegedly did to his countrymen.

Cue a confrontation that turns into a 15 minute QTE suplexing match of extreme proportions inside an aquarium or zoo or something that an outbreak happened in, and Carlos's job is running around frantically suplexing the animals that are getting loose due to all the suplexing.

Suplexes for everyone!

Feel free to cut me a check Capcom.

As long as we're hoping to play as all the annoying men in the series throw Steve in and you've got yourself a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The whole series seemed to drop attempts at outright "horror" as soon as RE2 came out and if you ask me that was honestly for the better. Sure you've got monsters and Mr X and blood but even at the time none of it ever felt that scary and I hope they keep the more action-y feel of 2 when compared to 1. I don't mind survival horror but I never really thought the gameplay, though I actually don't mean the tank controls, of the original format really meshed well with the more careful gameplay the genre needs. RE2 had plenty of ammo to go around, even if you didn't know exactly what to do, and while that might have made it a lot less scary I always got more frustrated than scared with both RE1 and REmake so it was welcome being able to shoot zombies with my pistol instead of trying to trick the game into letting me run past them. RE7 trying to be something I don't think the series never was doesn't make me completely uninterested but even as bad as RE6 was I think I'd have a lot more fun in that than a first person horror game.

Barry's levels in Revelations 2 actually struck a good balance to me. I don't necessarily think that REmake 2 needs stealth but those levels maintained some good tension while still giving you the tools to have fun shooting zombies/goo monsters if you got caught or wanted to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

I played re4 for the first time recently and it was real good

What game do i continue my Resident evil journey with?

Have you played the Separate Ways campaign as well? Because you should if you haven't.

Yeah, because then you get to play the game 4 times for the whole experience.

It may seem like I'm saying that as a bad thing but I'm not.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

It does, but that involved combining herbs and setting them to R2 IIRC (I went through this part a little faster than I would have liked though, before I quite grasped the new menu system. I might be totally wrong about this and just be the world's biggest idiot). From what I can tell First Aid Sprays can't be set to R2 like Herbs, which is what was confusing me since I didn't realize for the longest time the way you cycle through items and weapons, at least with the controller set up I have.

All in all the changes between RE5 and RE6 just feel much larger to me than the changes between RE4 and RE5. I guess I'm still adjusting, but I think I got the hang of it now.

This may just be because 90% of the games I've ever played were on the PC but I originally bought RE6 for the PS3 so I could play it with a friend but then we also both bought it later on during some Steam sale. The difference between playing with a controller and a keyboard was huge to me, all the controls just seemed to be in much more logical places on a keyboard and though I already was one of the weirdos that thought RE6 was really fun (even outside of Mercenaries) the switch to mouse and keyboard made it even better.

Probably just used to a keyboard though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Professional Mode in general is ridiculous from what i remember of playing it originally. 99% of attacks will put you in dying immediately so you have to stay glued to your goddamn partner. 1% will leave at almost dying.

Plus The El Gigante boss fight on Professional is the only reason me and my brother haven't gotten the Platinum Trophy on the PS3 version. He's just so bullshit hard.

That boss fight is extra fun on Professional when you're playing it online and a hundred+ millisecond ping for the can mean the difference between passing and failing the QTE's.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You usually get paid to QA a game, yeah.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE6 is a terrible, terrible game that I and a friend had a ton of great fun with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

the partners in rev1 were mostly cosmetic. they didn't do any damage and enemies mostly ignored them, so they were really just someone to talk to. i think that re5 could have used a similar system when you were playing it solo.

The AI in Rev1 definitely does damage, I'm actually playing through it again right now and they killed at least a few enemies. Getting them to actually shoot is another thing. That said, yeah, they're mostly there for show (or because perhaps the game was supposed to be co-op at some point).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lotish posted:

When I got the game first, I played Helena first. When I got to the chapter where Helena is thrown into one floor of an apartment building and Leon fights thrilling Dino battle in between two skyscrapers, I was not equipped for long range, ran out of ammo and had nothing to do but kick the occasional zombie while Leon played tag with a T-rex.

All of the crossover boss fights in RE6 were a bad idea. Theoretically you're supposed to do them with 2 other players playing as the other two characters but in practice means you're not dealing with 1 AI partner but 2 or 3.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

smuh posted:

e: I will say though that RE5 is kind of TOO easy to get powerful in, and I did at least once wish there was a way to start a genuine NG without all the cash and weapons/items.

Can't you just buy/find basic weapons again?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

smuh posted:

Yeah, but like Backhand up there said, you're delibirately handicapping yourself by doing that and it feels weird. Sometimes it would be nice to have a clean slate to go with. But for me that was only a problem when I wanted to play through the game in co-op with someone who'd never played it and I ended up deleting my save as a solution.

There should definitely be an option to just start a brand new game - I played through the first Revelations again recently and you can just start a fresh save there - for that situation. I was in the same boat, I hadn't played RE5 before but my friend had beaten it multiple times already so what we did was a) he could only pick up new guns and b) the amount of money he could spend was the amount of money that I had. By the end of the game I had a bit of a spreadsheet tracking what he had spent and how much I had collected

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It probably works better than Revelations 1's dodge mechanic worked, god that was finicky. Glad they just made a straight up dodge move in 2, a nice middle ground between that and the floor shenanigans you can get up to in 6.

At least as long as you aren't playing it on a 3DS you barely need the dodge since you're so much more mobile normally.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

That was the only death scene that unsettled me in 6. I think it was the fact that the enemy didn't just shove you/knock you in, it actively went in the blender with you.

Speaking personally I was laughing more than anything because the whole time I was thinking "Hey, Helena, going to do something? Anything? No? Okay, see ya." Even more amusing was that I was in co-op at the time and my friend was actively meleeing the thing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

widespread posted:

Weren't there like a shitload of "accidental" deaths in the original Tomb Raider? Also I think the skeevy nature of the opposing forces in the remake and Rise made me wanna not play them. Or at least in 2013.

Rise is a lot more... standard I guess? in tone than the 2013 game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I skipped Rev 2 because they changed Claire's voice actress and because I only played Rev 1 for 30 minutes and stopped because the levels felt tiny and lovely. Have I made an error?

I'm not sure what you mean about Rev1, nothing about it really seems all that different from the same type of "tight hallway" level you'd get in even the newer RE's. The levels you get in various "side" stories you get are small linear affairs, meant for action or exposition, but the main area is somewhat comparable to the size of the old RE's, backtracking included.

Skipping Rev2 was absolutely a mistake, even though I agree about Claire's voice.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mendez is basically the huge henchmen that gets the hero in an inescapable chokehold and just as the hero is about to pass out the bad guy throws him across the room for no or a poor reason, allowing them to fight for real/escape.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 25, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crowetron posted:

I don't know how to tell you this but Resident Evil is...

pretty anime

Wesker can move fast but he sure is slow on the trigger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

their facebook account says

so who knows

It's not a microtransaction if they call it DLC!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love that from 3D films with the stupid red/blue glasses through to brand new headset VR machines the best thing everyone can think to do with them is shove things in the viewers face. Whether it's to scare them or amaze them, just get that image riiiight up in there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I look at this picture and I can tell everything is wrong with it but I couldn't really tell you what. Nothing seems right.

I'm fan...ish of the other two RE's movies, the first a bit more than the second (occasionally dodgy CG aside), so I've been mildly looking forward to Vendetta. That is remembering that I'm looking forward to it when someone else brings it up because I forgot about it. But really as long as someone is shooting something zombie-like occasionally, there's a giant monster, Leon does some stupid flips, Chris punches something really hard, and there's bad dialogue I'll probably enjoy it enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Didn't Dino Crisis allow you to move and aim at the same time? It's been so long since I've played it. I'm amazed it took so long for Resident Evil to adopt that.

Move and aim, yes, but you moved at a walking speed and to shoot you still had to stop so really not much difference between walking instead of running in RE unless you really needed that <1 second to bring up your gun.

smuh posted:

Look, as someone who watched the CG movies a month or two ago, you might want to go through them again as your memory seems a bit faulty. The first one takes itself super seriously, is badly animated and the cg in general is crappy, plus the writing is baaaaaad. The second one fixes all of those points and really feels like an re game turned into a movie.

I freely admit that my love for RE2 may be influencing my opinion of the first CGI movie but the second one feels more like turning specifically RE5 into a movie which also makes it feel much more generic. The first RE movie had a lot more classic staples of Resident Evil which, bad staples or not, I find much more enjoyable even attached to terrible writing and bad CGI (see love of RE2).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Melee is the secret to doing well on Pro, especially at the start. The only bullets you spend on single enemies should be the single head and/or knee shot. And maybe it's just me but I've found the TMP to also be a good addition on Pro if only because it can stunlock the wolves but also because a head/knee shot from the TMP is equal to one from a handgun, at least when it comes to a melee follow-up.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 16, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rafza posted:

they are, only reason to shoot at the feet is if they're on a bridge and can fall to their death (or you're pointing at the ground and can't bring your gun up in time to prevent a hit)

No, the reason to shoot at the legs is that after you leave the village Leon will suplex the monks and soldiers instead of kicking them like the villagers

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alteisen posted:

It has a scope, I think the one you buy just gives you more zoom which is kinda pointless plus I tend to use it a lot in close quarters and pop off quick headshots, its a god send when plagas start popping up.

For some reason using the TMP is making handgun ammo drop very heavily for me, I took that screen just before El Gigante, now I'm sitting on a 126 handgun bullets, I'm pretty much out of space, if I get rid off my egg I can fit in 2 more ammo boxes in there or 2 nades.

If you're that tight on space it means you're doing things right. The drops kind of break if you're using the good old head-kick-knife on most enemies because the game doesn't really expect you to do that, even on Pro. Just start shooting things more if you've got too much ammo really.

Edit: When I replay RE4 its the flash grenades that start taking up way too much space for me because I save literally all of them for the room with the two waves of 3 knights in the castle because that room has killed me way too many times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The enemies in that section have deliberately lower health than in others.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HATECUBE posted:

Thanks, didn't think of dragging him out front. Watched some dodge vids too, probably way harder than that guy was making it look.

The only trick I remember with Nemesis, besides the running on his right or whatever, is that when he's chasing you in the police station if you go into the corner past the bookcase in the office where the zombified Marvin attacks you in RE2 he'll get stuck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always wished you could skip doors but then there was that one door in the police shack of RE2 here if you opened it ZOMBIES and then I wished the series did that more. Not super often of course, just once in a while, maybe just once per game. I guess Nemesis chasing you through rooms counted.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This one I DO remember. If you're fast enough you can mad dash straight for it, turn around and run away before they can get you.

Yep. They start off eating the dude so if you run forward you can grab it before they stand up. You might get bit just because random chance but you won't get swarmed or anything, if only because RE2 adds the knockback.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The first Revelations is interesting to me because it's a story about an elaborate, behind-the-scenes conspiracy that you gradually unravel a bit at a time, but it also becomes obvious pretty early on that the conspiracy in question was not particularly well-designed, and that it blew up on the runway about ten minutes after initiation. It's an interesting approach, although there are some loose bits.

So it's a Resident Evil game?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's about how a good Pro run is supposed to go if you're knifing and suplexing at every opportunity, even potentially ill ones. The only big difference between that and mine is that I usually end up getting the Striker and the 100 round upgrade by the end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1redflag posted:

Amy good hints/tips for Resident Evil (REmake)? I'm about to start the PS4 version.

Look at your map all the time. One of the few nice things REmake does is that the map will tell you if there are still items in a room you've visited. I think you have to have found the area map for that to happen but I'm not sure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

As someone who kinda liked RE6 I'm baffled at how many apologists it has, since it's kinda not great and the decision to split its narrative up to offer a different Resident Evil to different Resident Evil fans served to just kinda make everything feel really watered-down and half-assed, and I'm not sure it even worked as intended? Like my favorite Resident Evil is the REmake, and in 6 I was left with the impression that Leon's campaign was the "classic RE style~" option, so you'd think I'd gravitate toward that, but the only campaign I found myself truly enjoying was Chris and Piers

I liked Leon's campaign the most out of the 3 when I wasn't stuck in endless catacombs, caves, and rundown labs - chaotic zombie gunfight in the two cities was actually kind of fun. I thought Chris/Piers and Jake/Sherry were fine when it was mostly fighting but I could have definitely done without the driving segments and the quasi-stealth escape sequence that Jake/Sherry have to go through. And I feel like I have to say this every time I'm saying that I had fun playing RE6 but I was most definitely playing in co-op and no I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I was playing it alone.

guts and bolts posted:

Also also Revelations 2 is really fun? So far anyway, me and my girlfriend are trucking through it in split-screen and it's a riot - in a lot of ways I feel like Rev2 is arguably designed to match experienced RE players with their SOs or younger siblings or whatever, because I honestly cannot imagine being Moira myself, I'd get bored and try to crowbar my way through a crowd of bad guys instead of dutifully shining that light... but she eats that poo poo up and seems to enjoy having fewer "shoot the mans" responsibilities, since she's normally not into console shooting games at all

On the other hand Rev2 is great solo or in co-op.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That's the one, yes. It's doing my loving head in now; everything I throw at it just gets shrugged off like nothing. Absolutely loving horrible.

As I recall you basically have to run away from it, wait until it starts charging, and then run sideways instead of trying the dodge. As long as you've got a fair distance between you and it you'll run faster then it can angle toward you and as soon as it passes it'll stop for a bit and you can shoot the weak points.

But yeah, that boss is poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fereydun posted:

that's more or less accurate. once it clicks it's amazing but before that point i don't think it's uncommon to be left feeling like everything is too loose alongside believing none of the system mechanics make any sense.

http://i.imgur.com/9gQJVQT.mp4

Speaking for myself RE6 only clicked in this manner when I played it on the PC. Could be just because most of the shooter games I've played have been on PC but the controls on PS3 always felt really awkward but then I played it on a keyboard and everything felt like it was where it was supposed to. On a controller it was like I had to force myself to remember how the hell you do anything other than aim and shoot, whether that was sliding or just using the inventory.

Also after the slide that's just using quick shot a bunch and that will make anyone look good in a 5 second clip

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Revelations 2 made me love Barry Burton more than I even thought possible. I waited 19 years for a REAL game with Barry as the star and it loving delivered.

I want to type out all of Barry's dad jokes right here, especially that last one, but they're way too good to spoil.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Resident Evil 6 is one of the dumbest loving games I have ever played and I kind of love it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I can imagine REm 2 being very traditional just as a failsafe in case the new direction of 7 doesn't take off, but it's been a heck of a long time since they acknowledged its existence.

I think when they "announced" it they literally had not started any work at it at all except for gauging interest. So it's going to be a while, especially if they keep the A/B game for Claire and Leon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spiffster posted:

What the hell did you do man?

Kept the combat knife, for one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like to see a Revelations 3. No idea who they'd bring back out of early retirement though; if we're going to be honest, then Barry and Claire have always been fan favourites so it made a lot of sense to give them a game after RE sort of became The New Adventures of Leon & Chris (especially Barry, who only got a bit-part in a minigame beside some non-canon GBC thing). I really can't see Billy, Rebecca or Carlos having the same clout to stir up enough interest, although personally I'd like to see Parker make a comeback. At least he's still relevant to Revelations' mysterious open ending.

Geriatric wheelchair cripple woman. I know stairways were a sure way to escape a zombie's clutches in the classics but this is just loving lazy.

It might not be a character that is "retired" but I guess you could maybe do something with Sherry since RE6 made her a gun holding person. And there's the possiblity of making a game about Ada doing something on her own (that is, not involving Leon) since she's mostly just hung out in the background until you need to learn what really happened, but in a shorter game. RE6 gave her a larger part than RE4 did but it still wasn't as big as the other chapters.

Other than that I can't really think of many others besides, as some have said already, maybe more Parker. Out of all the characters like the other STARS, Carlos, Steve, Billy, he's the been the only one that I wasn't annoyed by more than anything else in their respective games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You could finally give the fans the HUNK game they've never actually wanted.