Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

None of this crazy stuff is going to happen in a Netflix series starring the never heard of children of Albert Wesker which will mostly take place in warehouses, quarries, and meadows. It will be zombies, zombies, and more zombies followed by a probably passable at best CGI monster in the final episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Herbs get turned into pills in RE6. That’s somehow even sillier.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

RE2 is easier, but I think it's also creepier, based on a single character. I won't say who, so as not to spoil the guy, but for me, that's probably the creepiest/most horrifying thing in the series.

Oh yes I don’t mean to take away from how good RE2 is and remains. I suppose what I actually mean is that RE2 is so much better at gradually ramping up the difficulty and not being too stingy about resources that I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who started with RE2 before RE1 didn’t die at all their first time through. For the time it has an incredibly well done pace of gameplay.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the forum are my post so this might be a double?? I dunno.

Leavemywife posted:

RE2 is easier, but I think it's also creepier, based on a single character. I won't say who, so as not to spoil the guy, but for me, that's probably the creepiest/most horrifying thing in the series.

I don’t mean to take away how good RE2 is of course. I suppose what I mean is that it’s much better at gradually ramping up the difficulty and not being too stingy about resources. For its time and style it has amazingly well paced gameplay. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who started the series with original RE2 didn’t die at all their first time through (and that’s a good thing).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think some of the cutscenes in RE1 also only trigger if you’re taking too long or something like that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

What kinda lies you think kids make up about fortnite and poo poo these days? I had the greatest hits edition of DC and my friend said that GH versions were always missing something, the original RE release you could play as Barry

If there are any for Fortnite or Minecraft or whatever I figure they must be endless and creative because there’s an entire apparatus on YouTube and Reddit and who knows where else dedicated to figuring out obscure stuff as soon as a hint of anything is mentioned.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t mean something like Richard. I thought I had read that if you entered the mail hall or other hub areas too many times without solving a specific puzzle the game would give you help or something. I may be making that up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Man, og RE2 is still so loving good

If one can enjoy that kind of game I maintain it’s the best of the bunch before REmake and even then I’d consider it a tie.

Though if it wasn’t for it’s weird puzzles Dino Crisis would be on top.

By the way Max Wilco you should definitely play Dino Crisis. It’s Resident Evil in everything but name.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t see that at all. It could have certainly used more varied regular enemies but there’s a depth to its inventory, resources, and even healing system that I don’t ever remember being replicated. Maybe that’s because I’m the only one who enjoyed it but I really enjoyed it. It even did the ”monster chases you through loading screens” before RE3 did, though both are Capcom games so they probably shared the idea.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aiming up with a shotgun at close range is an instant decapitation on all zombies in the original RE games. Don’t remember if it applied in CV.

However I think just shooting RE1 zombies at close range at middle height with a shotgun just exploded their heads anyways. Probably just a way to do something cool and gross for letting a zombie get really close to kill them in one shot. RE2 upgraded that to occasionally cutting a zombie in half at the waist but leaving their top half alive. You have to aim up at close range to get the guaranteed instant kill in RE2.

There’s just so much ammo in RE2 (or maybe I’ve just memorized where all of it is) that I don’t ever remembering noticing if the zombies were tougher or not. Being able to stumble them backwards also helps to maintain distance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I do like that there's a file that gives a justification as to why ammo is scattered all around.

I didn't pick up on the museum thing, but maybe it's in one of the later files. It does sort of explain why the layout is like it is, and the statues.

RE1 did let me decapitate zombies with the shotgun at level-stance in a single shot at close range, which was fun (seemed like it was easier with Jill than Chris, but :shrug:).

The issue I have with aiming up is that it always seems like I'm aiming above the head and missing my shots. I tried it with the pistol, but maybe you can't get headshots with the pistol (would make dealing with groups of zombies a lot less wasteful). I'll have to try it with the shotgun next time I play.

That something else I meant to bring up: there doesn't seem to be auto-aim in the same way as RE1:DC. It seems like you just have to be pointing in the general direction of the enemy, and you can score hits. I actually took out the two lickers in the basement because of how the shots register.

Ammo and ink ribbons seems to be hidden about in the rooms more than they were in RE1, sometimes in places you wouldn't think to look (like behind the statue upstairs from the dark room, or by those crates in the storage room with the statutes on the wall). I dunno if the walkthrough I'm following outlines every pickup, so I could be missing a few things. I know wasted a bunch of shots trying to take out the dogs down in the basement.

-

Moving outside of RE2 for a moment, I'm writing down a checklist of RE games in chronological order. Apart from debating whether or not I should play RE: Survivor or not, I realized I had forgotten about Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2. Are those two worth checking out? I was under the impression they were purely online games.

Aiming up in RE has almost always just been for enemies like the Chimera or Licker when they’re on the ceiling, crows when they’re above you, and some bosses. Pistols can’t really “headshot” outside of some dice roll stuff in certain games. Aiming up with pistols against zombies would definitely just make you miss a lot even at close range, just aim straight or down with pistols.

Zombie heads exploding in RE1 wasn’t you landing a “headshot” because you let the zombie get close, that’s how the RE1 zombies die if you kill them in one hit with something other than the grenade launcher (also when you play as Claire in RE2 let zombies get close when using the standard grenade rounds).

And yeah it’s dumb but auto-aim exists in RE2 but it just isn’t the default. Scroll through the control options until you see something that says “auto” or something instead of manual. You’ll auto lock onto the closest enemy and I think you tap L1 to scroll targets. The later releases of RE2 made auto aim the default.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, well then just take what I wrote, and replace 'dollars' with 'euros' and 'KMart' with... I dunno, ASDA?

-

Anyway, I finished Leon's campaign in RE2.

I dunno if a C-Rank is really bad, or on par for your first time through. I thought to check my time between this and my run through RE1 as Jill, and I also had 14 saves. The game gives you a lot Ink Ribbons, and there's not much distance between typewriters. I probably could have skipped a couple, but I was worried about dying and having to go through cutscenes again. My time was an hour over the par for

I was worried about the game being harder than RE1, but I made it through to the end just fine. Admittedly, I was using a walkthrough, so that might have made it so I didn't have to backtrack as much, and thus, I was able to conserve ammo and healing items. The issue with following the walkthrough, though, is that I think I ended up skipping over a few (probably inconsequential) things. I found a cord in the police station, which I figured would connect to the shutter controls for the windows, but the guide never said anything about using them. I also found a flamethrower in the Umbrella lab, but I never picked it up.

One of the things that amused me was how when Annette confronts Ada, and brings up the connection from RE1, citing how that was his password. I find it funny because A.) John's password was apparently common knowledge, and B.) none of the other Umbrella staff took issue with the fact that one of researchers secured his computer* vital for the biochemical weapons with a three-character password.

I am curious, though, as to how Ada, with a gunshot wound added atop earlier injuries, managed to survive that fall and make it into future games.

The only parts I found to be difficult was fighting Birkin. The fight with him on the descending train was a little annoying because it seems like he can corner you pretty well (though I suppose it depends on what side of him you run past). The first stage of the final fight with him is easy, since with the upgraded magnum, he takes like three shots. The second stage, though, was a little more dicey, since he can leap at you, and it seems like it's harder to line up shots at certain angles.

I think I might have screwed up with the save files, because when I got to the save menu after the stats screen, I saved over my file, thinking that it would be the endgame save for Leon. However, it overwrote that save with the Claire B save, so I don't know if I screwed up by not putting that on a separate file.

Regardless, I switched discs and started Claire's B game (I'm guessing that conversely, if you start a new game as Claire and beat the game, Leon also gets a "B" game that's different). I must have been getting tired at that point, because I ended up running into a couple of zombies and getting hit by crows and lickers trying to make it into the police station proper. I had my first run-in with the dreaded Mr.X. I had actually been wondering why I hadn't run into him earlier, and then I realized he probably only shows up in the subsequent run. I knew when he was coming up, since I was following the guide, but even with the grenade launcher prepped and acid rounds loaded, taking him down felt sketchy. I thought he would literally follow you through every room, and you just had to keep moving, but apparently not. :shrug: I guess he either only shows up at set intervals, or he disappears if you "defeat" him.

Claire substitute for the shotgun, the bow-gun, is weird. At first, I was confused why I seemed to be spending more ammo than I was shooting, and then I realized that it seems to shoot an arrow for every enemy that's in front of you. Even then, it seems like it will either stun them slightly, or completely neutralize them. I guess ideally, you launch an arrow into one, then finish it off with the pistol.

I finally ran into Chief Irons. He's...pretty much what I expected.

*Something I just remembered. One nice touch I liked about RE1 was during the bit where you need to enter the computer password to unlock the doors, because depending on who you're playing, they make a different gesture to confirm the doors have been unlocked

The bow gun fires 3 bolts in a spread pattern for every shot. So the 18 in the inventory screen is actually only 6. Since it’s a spread pattern the only way to get all 3 bolts into something is at close range but that will kill a zombie in 1 hit.

Up until REmake2 the “canon” run was Claire A/Leon B because of reasons such as Ada. Besides item placement there’s some significant differences in how everything plays out at the end compared to Leon A/Claire B.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Original RE3 is worse then CV, change my mind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Degeneration was better than it had any right to be because of those two so I can give this a chance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE6 is very fun if you approach it as MST3K The Game and just tell dumb jokes with your co-op partner everything time something stupid happens (this is every 30 seconds at most). I cannot recommend it enough as a co-op gam. I also could not hate it more as a solo game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Online coop is fine if it’s someone you know. I couldn’t imagine doing RE5/6 with some random though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoy the chaotic city parts and the giant fish part of the catacombs of Leon’s campaign.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The RE2 grenade launcher is a sort of combination shotgun/magnum depending on which rounds you’re using. Unlike RE1 the regular grenade rounds fragment as soon as you fire them so using them is basically using a shotgun. But if you wait before you fire and connect with most of them you’ll do the same stun on lickers as the shotgun if you aim down or even blow apart the upper half of a zombie like the custom shotgun does. Even against a group of zombies you’ll almost certainly stagger all of them backwards as there is some splash damage. The acid/flame rounds are your high damage single target bullets, though I forget if one is more powerful then the other or if they each have their strengths.

Claire does get a bit of the short end in RE2 weapons though. Even the hidden weapon in the dead factory is mostly a dud except to save ammo against zombies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Navaash posted:

Should still do Claire A/Leon B because only Leon B has the rocking end theme music.

That’s not true at all though?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Actually I think you’ll find that listening to fictional characters talk about things cannot ever be considered entertainment worth paying for. This also applies to reading about fictional characters doing things.

Anyways snark aside what I’m saying is that REmake3 should have had 5 hours of radio calls between Jill, Carlos, Mikhail, and Dario.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 5, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve always enjoyed how everyone pronounces the second syllable of Mikhail like they’re clearing some gunk from their throat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Barry Burton no sale.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The bow gun in CV is pretty useless except for combining the bolts with gunpowder or something, I forget the exact name of the item and you may not have seen any yet. Basically it turns the bolts into mini-rockets and they are very powerful. Don’t use them on just anything when you do get them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The first Revelations is good, actually. If you’re looking for a sort of arcadey take on RE4 and with the understanding that you’re playing a DS game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Personally I’m not sure about the narrative soundness of ”I shot my sister with one of my dad’s guns when I was young so now I hate guns but I guess I should actually love guns.” Particularly when combined with “to save someone who doesn’t actually need my help at all.”

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

RE6 is super fun imo. Much better than 5

I beat the first episode of Rev2 and then discovered it’s the only episode I own??? I could’ve sworn I got the whole thing on sale a while back

The first episode gets the main store page and the other 4 episodes are “DLC” for it. So if you only bought the main item you only got episode 1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They’re still kind of bad but sincerely Resident Evil game kind of bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

General opinion is that it's basically a preview of the Lost In Nightmares DLC for Resident Evil 5, so you can pretty much ignore it.

Wasn’t that well released by the time Revelations came out? I think it’s just a reminder that RE5 happens next.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

RE3 classic had more openness, more variety and a Mercenaries mode. Blaming Re3makes flaws on classic ignores it has less content overall.

I think you misread that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t remember exactly what Moira shouts about but shouting something about a dildo fits.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can’t remember any single player games that had a “beta” contest so probably.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1349751689281060864?s=19

I bet shes gonna be tyranting you round that castle. But, in a uhh sexy gonna awaken some things in you way, probably.

This is going to be like fighting the Valkyries in God of War all over again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Her weak point is totally under that hat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also that multiplayer game looks baaaad. lol-ing at the players in the trailer deliberately missing to make it seem more exciting too

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone remember when RE5 tried to have PVP? Did anyone ever actually play that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This seems like a misreading of the response to REmake3 where the end result felt more like “subtractions” rather than “changes.” The kind of slapped together B scenario in REmake2 is certainly a black mark but it still at least mixed up some of the item placements and difficulty. REmake3 on the other hand just excised entire sections. It’s be like if REmake2 just cut out the entire garage/underground section of the police station and then cut the lab in half.

Hell now that I think about it REmake2 did receive some flak for removing the trip from the car crash to the station - Claire going to the orphanage is the replacement, it even takes some of the environments, but Leon didn’t get anything except the Kendo scene - but it was a minor part gone/half-gone at worst.

Like as long as the changes to REmake4 aren’t on the level of “no hedge maze” or “no lake monster” or “no Krauser fight” changes are fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rather than quote myself from a page or two ago I’ll just summarize. I think Capcom is taking the wrong lesson from REmake3’s reception. Taken purely as a game REmake3 is fine, good, possibly even great depending on taste, but as a remake of RE3 it is not quite as good and when compared to REmake2 not as much “value” either. Entire sections either left out or cut, a linear design which neutered the Nemesis possibilities, no “decision points” to make minor changes to how things play out, and a multiplayer game no one be cared about instead of Mercenaries.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

That reveal got me a hankering to play an RE. Should I replay 7 or 4, and if 4 what system has the better version, PS4 or Switch?

Original PC Ubisoft port of RE4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, I played original RE3 to completion in one sitting at a friends house as my fourth PS1 was dead by that point and I wasn't gaming much. My memories of it were foggy, so from my perspective all the "greatest hits" were there (Jill, Nemesis, Hospital, Carlos, exploding petrol station). I remembered there being a clock tower, but thought that that had been absorbed into the clock tower in REmake 2, which I *think* was new?

Nah the clock tower in RE2 was just a small single puzzle room in both games. The clock tower in RE3, while not very large, was its own multi-puzzle section of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moira can actually do a surprising amount of stuff in combat with her flashlight and crowbar. Can she use any of the subweapons? That would help too. I feel controlling Natalia would be pretty boring though, she can carry a single brick around to stun enemies or point out hidden items like the scanner thing in Rev1 does but that's it.

Solo there's a few scattered parts where having a second person is "intended" but they aren't horrible without one.

Whenever Rev2 comes up though I do feel the need to throw in a minor spoiler so you don't get the bad ending and have to replay 2 chapters to get the actual ending that is actually really good. No plot details in the spoiler box, just sort of gameplay. At the end of Claire's chapter 4 there's an option to complete a QTE as Claire or switch to Moira and complete it with her. Switch to Moira.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 27, 2021