Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just finished Leon's chapter 2. Not as good as RE5, I have to say - I've sunk dozens of hours into that one - but I'm enjoying it all the same. Played a little of Mercs mode but I have the sinking feeling you're going to have to fork out :10bux: in order to enjoy it properly, considering it only comes with three maps (unless others unlock down the line - there's only the Urban Chaos and two others marked as ??? so far). Jake is an absolute beast in Mercs mode though. He's basically a nerfed version of Midnight Wesker from RE5, but even still, he has the best kung fu for racking up kills and bonus time: second time using him (fourth time playing the mode full stop) and I managed to get up to 142/150 kills.

Anyway, if anyone's looking for a reliable co-op partner on 360, I'm your manL GT: RaptusRegaltier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leyburn posted:

Christ, that prologue plus the first half hour of Leon's campaign are absolutely diabolical. Things finally seem to get going once you hit the demo area, but my god that introduction was poor.

The tutorial stage isn't that bad, but it's a tutorial stage, so really the best you can hope for is that it isn't too condescending and ends reasonably swiftly.

Agreed utterly on the start of Leon's campaign though. I understand they're trying to build the horror, but it just winds up being horrifically tedious, and you wind up covering the exact same stuff you went over less than a few minutes ago (assuming you started with Leon, haven't tried the others yet).

The one thing I do miss though, is the weapon upgrading from the last two games. That's the one puzzling change to my eyes so far, since it worked so well, and you felt a real sense of progression, going from a wimpy peashooter with bent sights to a triple-barrelled deathbringer. Skills don't feel as tangible, unless they're doing something visible.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

echronorian posted:

What is the goon consensus on this one?

Personally, don't let the demo colour your view of the game, one way or another. I for one thought the demo was terrible, but I'm enjoying the game itself. Maybe wait til the price drops if you're still unsure, but I'd call it a buy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leyburn posted:

I'm 100% confident that if Josh Stone was Chris's coop partner this game would have received 10/10s across the board.

I miss hearing I'll get a naice bonass in Mercenaries :sigh:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fraction posted:

The game could REALLY have done with a) giving more loving ammo and b) actually giving more indication of what we were supposed to be doing.

I wish there was more indication you were doing damage to enemies. I feel like I'm plinking meaninglessly away at bosses until they suddenly keel over without warning.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's been giving me error messages since last night. I did manage to unlock Pirate Leon for Mercs mode, as far as alternate costumes go though, and played with someone using Samurai Chris.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I actually really like Simmons' mutations. It's like John Carpenter and David Cronenberg did the designs for Michael Bay's Transformers. Wonderful stuff.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SpazmasterX posted:

I can tell you right now that weapons aren't nearly as strong as anything in RE5, and everything is much stronger. You will get your poo poo pushed in by the most basic zombie until you get the defense skill(s).

If you're starting off, buy Item Drop Increase, Firepower and Defence. Those will go a long way to improving your survivability, especitally the upgraded versions. After that, branch out how you will, but those alone, maybe swapping out for the various Killer skills, depending on who you're playing as, but that basic setup will last you from start to finish.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Good Citizen posted:

Wow, gently caress the last fight playing as Piers in Chris's campaign so gently caress hard. The boss is only vulnerable after setting him up in a certain way. If you get him to that point and he's on a box(which he is half the time), TOO loving BAD. He can also kill you whenever he feels like it and chooses the correct string of random attacks because your normal attack drains your loving life. Jesus christ this sucks

e: alright, finally got him down but that was almost old school adventure game levels of 'there is only one correct way to do things'

Yeah, I just finished that stage after being stunlocked three or four attempts in a row. But even after dying five or six times to him, four times in the final section (due to Chris failing to keep up) and several other times in the stage before then... I still got an A for deaths?

Were they expecting people to fail so miserably, or something? That strikes me as odd, and more than a little wrong. Providing a safety net is one thing, but it almost feels like they're just letting you shrug off failure, rather than making things better for the player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game, but it's hard to deny that this smacks of someone higher up refusing to listen to criticism. No way is it on the same level as Metroid: Other M, but I'm getting the impression that suggestions of improvements may have been shot down during development.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Solomonic posted:

I'm not sure why, but when I got to Chris's campaign, I decided to go against my habits from the other two and play through it as Piers. It ended up working out really well for two reasons: one, Piers is kind of a nonentity character-wise, so the story was sort of "the adventures of noted boulder-puncher Chris Redfield, co-starring you, the player". Two, he has the bitchingest sniper rifle ever. It's got a thermal scope and does crazy damage, to the point that with j'avo hunter on I was taking down those huge brute things that come out of the cocoons in three shots. It was really useful for taking down the (very common) sequences where there's like ten snipers just hanging around while you fight guys in the foreground.

Piers' sniper rifle is actually an anti-materiel rifle - those are typically used against vehicles and tanks rather than people.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Spermando posted:

I'm convinced Chris' final boss is impossible if you play as Piers. The AI will only ever shoot the weak spots by accident, and Piers' thing doesn't seem to phase him in his normal form.

The trick I found is just to spam really weak shots at it. As usual, while the game tells you you can charge up attacks, it neglects to tell you you can fire weak shots at it which do a better job at stunning it. Save the big burst for the cocoon, then run up and melee the pods.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Decided to start chapter 2 of Jake's campaign just so I have something to do.

Half an hour later and no progress made, I switched it off. I can see why people talk about it in such... less than glowing terms.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Have to say, as much as I enjoyed playing it, after finishing the game, I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick it up again. Actually considering trading it in for XCOM already. Considering RE5 had a metric ton of unlockables, this is a sad turn of events, I have to say.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On a related note, bought Revelations for the 360 and I'm feeling it's what I wanted RE6 to be, especially Raid Mode. Not many people playing multiplayer though. Anyone looking for a game?

XBL RaptusRegaltier.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Im_Special posted:

So both Resident Evil 6 and Revelations are on sale and I'm going to jump on them, but what about the dlc? Is any of this stuff worth a few cents, whats content/fun vs quick unlocks/cheats etc.

-Resident Evil 6: Complete Pack: $12.49
--Resident Evil 6: $9.99
---Siege Mode: $0.99
---Predator Mode: $0.99
---Survivors Mode: $0.99
---Onslaught Mode: $0.99

-Resident Evil Revelations: $12.49
--Parker's Government Handgun + Custom Part FBC: $0.24
--Jessica's G18 + Custom Part BSAA: $0.24
--Jill's Samurai Edge + Custom Part STARS: $0.24
--Rachael Ooze DLC: $0.74
--Lady HUNK DLC: $0.74
--Resistance Set: $0.49
--Enhancement Set: $0.49

The Revelations stuff is mostly ignorable as it's all for Raid Mode. Raid mode is a hell of a lot of fun, but all the sets there are just to give you a leg up on things to begin with, and they get outclassed pretty quickly. The additional skins offer extra abilities for the characters they belong to, so they're arguably worth it, but the Lady Hunk one is just silly.

As for the RE6 stuff, again, only pick it up if you know you're going to be playing online a lot, preferably with friends or fellow goons. Otherwise, again, feel free to ignore.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Protocol7 posted:

Man, I've been playing Revelations on Casual. Just killed(?) the Rachel boss. I add the question mark because I'm horribly unsure.

If this is what casual is like, I'd hate to see what the hard mode is like. :stonk:

Are you using the scanner thing all the time? There's a lot of hidden items all over the place. Took me a couple of stages to realise that. Scanning enemies also eventually gives you herbs, which you'll be eternally grateful for. You'll still be running low on both throughout though. I'm usually comfortable on ammo in RE games, but this and CV seem to be the stingiest when it comes pickups.

And yeah, not the last you'll see of that one, as anyone with half a brain could work out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Luisfe posted:

drat! I should've waited! 10 bux on the steam sale was still a bargain for it because even if a lot of it is rear end, the brawling is AMAZING.

Yeah, pity they don't actually explain how to use it properly. Or anything else for that matter.

Seriously, watch a couple of Youtube tutorials on the game before playing it. The main problem most of us had when the game came out was that they never take the time to explain how the game actually works. That, and the fact that it rapidly turns into a Call of Duty-style set-piece extravaganza for a decent chunk of the game, but mainly the former.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

I just got Revelations, and man is Raid Mode fun. Any other goons that play it/any DLC or stuff from the RE.Net I should get?

The only DLC worth buying are the two skins, and that's entirely dependent on how tolerant you are when it comes to blatant fanservice.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

Not tolerant at all. :v:

Also, I'm playing on the PC. Steamid: Azran

Best avoid Lady Hunk then. Rachael Ooze may be worth your time though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

therealjon_ posted:

Quint is the best character. Revelations owns.

It's funny how many people jumped into Raid mode after a chapter or two, saw this beefy guy running around tooled up to the nines looking for all the world like Drake from Aliens, then continued with the story and, well...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DC2 felt like a test-run for Mercs mode in later RE games, oddly enough. Same kind of focus on quick kills, keeping combos going, that sort of thing. I just wish they'd given us a definitive ending, rather than the one we got.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Accordion Man posted:

Shadows of the Damned was fun except for the Big Boner level, that was such a pain in the rear end.

Seriously, I sat through most of the game in a single sitting, enjoying it immensely until that bit. I wouldn't exactly say I ragequit, but it was a good few months til I fired that one up again.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is anyone still playing ORC? I picked it up in the PS3 sale, since it's one of the few RE games I haven't played.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That reminds me, does anyone know of any good VLPs of the REmake? I was re-reading TDI's LP of it, but it reminded me that I've never actually seen the game in motion. I did a quick check on YT, but the most popular ones, as ever, turned out to all be abysmal. Any recommendation?

Alteisen posted:

Could totally see it, Fraser has the whole action star/goofy one liner poo poo down pat.

And the hair, don't forget the hair.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Excels posted:

Was anyone else originally hoping or expecting RE6 to just be more RE5 with a new campaign and multiple character arcs? I would have been perfectly satisfied with that instead of... whatever it is we got. The Ada storyline, on top of being exclusively 1-player in a 2-player oriented game, was just mindboggling levels of :psyduck:

I was much the same. The wealth of unlockables and the weapon upgrade system (not to mention the small arsenal you had at your disposal) is the one thing I was really hoping would be carried over. Jake's campaign was fun, and about half of Ada's was good (mainly the really hosed up ship part). Everything else ensured I traded it in the week after I got it. Meanwhile, I'm still playing RE4&5 years after I first bought them (and rebought them in the case of RE4)

SRM posted:

It's even crazier than RE5 and I love it for it. The gameplay feels less clunky than RE5, and you can Rock Bottom zombies all day long. Is the Ada campaign really only single player though? I've played through the other campaigns with a buddy of mine and we haven't started it yet.

They patched in two-player for it a while back, but the second player's just a faceless goon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crowetron posted:

Chris and Jill having absolutely no reaction to the crazy poo poo they see is basically the whole reason I like both those characters. The best bit in Revelations is when a giant mutant sea monster burst out of the sea and attacks the ship and Chris and Jill don't even bat an eye.

RE4 proved that, when you're in their line of work, after capping someone, the first thing to check is 'are they a zombie Y/N'. For them, anything bigger than the walking dead is like a paper jam in the photocopier.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Remember that STARS is a unit that requires one of its members to be trained in the use and operation of mortars.

W.T. Fits posted:

I have the Versus Books strategy guide for RE3, and one of the sidebars in there has the author going through the process of trying to figure out where the hell in the U.S. Raccoon City is supposed to be. After combing through tons of RE2 and 3 screenshots, he finally manages to find one that has a sign with an actual area code. Looking it up, it was an area code for New York City. :v:

Aw, I've only got the Prima guide.

Risky posted:

Or they could have just given her a realistic age of 30. Or would that turn off a whole demographic of guys who have never been laid?

Welcome to Japan, a magical land where at 19, you can be a battle-hardened sociopath with a decade's experience and no one bats an eyelid, and at 25, you're marched into the food banks to provide sustenance for the next batch of pre-teen heroes.

The lucky ones escape until they hit their 50s, at which point, they're seen fit to rejoin society and no one gives them any poo poo due to their undeniable badassitude.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rookersh posted:

Leon is 21 and just a cop. He's in fact a rookie cop with no real skills at all at the start of RE2. That's a bit young for cops, but it's not unheard of, especially if the person had been training in their teens/outreach programs. I have no idea why he ended up becoming secret agent Leon, as he'd have been secret agent Leon at around 24-25 which IS unheard of, but I think plot took a backseat to silly in RE4.

One of the post-credit screens in RE3 reveals that he was picked up immediately after RE2 by some nameless group (later revealed to be the US government). So presumably he spent the intervening years in some heavy duty training. To the point where he's hand-picked as a bad enough dude to rescue the president('s daughter).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

amitlu posted:

On the console versions of the game I used to agree with the complaint about bullet sponge bosses that didn't have notable hit reactions to tell you are doing damage. However on the PC version I found that some weak spots are way easier to see with the higher resolution, and they didn't take nearly as long to kill when using mouse aim to target them. The Dino boss for example I found the weak point on his back near impossible to see on the 360 version, and even when I knew it was there I found it pretty hard to hit so it took a long time to damage him. On the PC version it was no problem at all.

...the bosses had weak spots?

Okay, did this loving game explain anything?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Excels posted:

People in Raccoon City were also very fond of building everything out of Explodium.

On a related note, if Umbrella were ever serious about killing people, they'd just need to build a facility without a self-destruct.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Barudak posted:

There is a zombie t-rex, a squad member who carries a live world war 2 grenade around her neck like a good luck charm, and a scorpion/hunter/something else hybrid that fights in an underground super-testing site that exists so a book can be game of death but resident evil.

You forgot Rebecca being super special awesome at everything she's so cool WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS LIKE HER YET and characters underreacting to just about everything.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mogomra posted:

I did always enjoy the disclaimers at the beginning of the later Resident Evil books. Like people expected them to ignore the games' continuity or something? I don't know what the point was other than to make the earlier books look bad. I need to break them out and see how well they hold up :allears:

Nah, if you really want to piss off fans of the books, you can do it with one word:

Trent.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rev is a more solid game than 6 for my money and Raid Mode is a blast, more fun than the story mode.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ManOfTheYear posted:

Huh, alright. What's the best version of Revelations? I had it on 3DS.

Console versions add a new difficulty, some extra ease of play dealies and generally round off the rough edges. The PC version's much the same, but I'm guessing the multiplayer side is near dead. The 360 version (which I have) isn't exactly packed, but I can almost always find someone else to play with.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No easy way, sadly. You have to S-Rank every stage on every difficulty. you can buy the Lady Hunk DLC skin, which kinda sorta lets you use the character right off the bat. It's... not very popular.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lunethex posted:

With all of you who own ORC on PS3, which I do too, we could probably put together an LP of it finally :downs:

I would be up for this, if only because I can't muster up the enthusiasm to play past the 2nd chapter alone. I need people to shout at, damnit!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lunethex posted:

So who would be down to play ORC for an LP on PS3? If you need to unlock stuff there's an infinite EXP glitch on the very first chapter of the umbrella campaign involving cameras. Just destroy all of them leading up to a certain checkpoint and the last camera is after that checkpoint. You destroy it, get 500 EXP, and suicide with nearby explosives to repeat.

I'm up for that, though I don't have the DLC. Add dwstatic on PSN.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Thinking about that rumour, when was the last time Carlos appeared in anything? Nikolai showed up in ORC, for what little that counts, but has Carlos been in anything meaningful in the last decade? Hell, what about Steve Burnside? Or... dare I say it...

D.I.J.?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Love me some supernatural horror. I'm one of 48 people that were terrified by F.E.A.R.

That ladder, man. You know the one I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vakal posted:

If you haven't already, I suggest picking up a pistol mod for the Wii controller. It makes playing Wii shooters like Chronicles and the House of the Dead series much more pleasurable.

The Nyko Perfect shot is a solid choice:

Are the HotD Hand Cannon shells no longer available? Those were the best.