Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Captain Walker posted:

Trico sums up my reaction to Leon's campaign. It's a much smoother control system than 4 and 5, and my confusion over what does what could be remedied by reading the manual with the full game. I'll try out Chris and Jake tonight to see what the big deal is about cover, but Leon plays just like I was expecting, basically. Can't wait to figure out wihat skill points do!

The cover system is not a big deal, despite how many people seem to be overreacting to it. Yes, the cover system is garbage but gunfire doesn't do a whole lot of damage unless it's from a sniper or you're just standing around eating bullets so you're free to go all run and gun. The only time I used the cover was to test it out right at the beginning of Chris' section and then proceeded to never use it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

AASman posted:

Are you going by the demo? It seemed to be pre-set on a very easy difficulty.

Yes, and maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic but to me at least it doesn't seem like the firefights were designed around sitting behind some chest high cover taking potshots but instead encourages you to play fast and loose, firing from out of cover and going up to bashing skulls in, so I honestly don't think upping the difficulty will cause an appreciable difference in how much damage the enemies' guns do. If the demo is any indication there is enough natural cover you can stand behind and adjust your dominant hand with that you wouldn't have to deal with their bad cover system if it happens that bullets become a problem on higher difficulties. Aside from the button prompt there doesn't seem to even be any indication in the game that there even is a cover mechanic, the control screen doesn't mention it at all and I remember a distinct lack of the over abundant chest high walls that litter the levels of other games with a prominent cover system in addition to the J'avo mutation that can grab you while you're in cover and the greater emphasis on your characters dodging abilities make it seem that cover would be more detrimental to your overall survival.

However, these are just my own observations based around what I've seen and played of the game and its mechanics plus Max Payne 3 giving me hope that there are still companies making third person shooters that don't have you attached to cover 95% of the time so there is probably a good chance that I'm wrong and Capcom is turning Resident Evil into a cover shooter. I'm just hoping that I'm not wrong because this demo did quite a bit to help my opinion of the game.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

In It For The Tank posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ who gently caress in devlopment thought the rope climbing controls were okay?

Other than that, having a blast so far.

Oh god, I just finished playing Leon's campaign and that section is probably the most unintuitive mechanic I've ever seen in a video game. Sure it's easy once you realize you have to hold it until your arm extends all the way before switching to the other arm but I swear I must have fallen off something close to two dozen times before figuring it out and even then the game would still drop me for no reason on occassion.

You can also count me in as part of the group not understanding the hate for the game. Sure it may not be the absolute best and most polished game out there but I find that the core gameplay mechanics to be fun and engaging enough that the minor flaws the game has just don't bother me. At this point I've only finished Leon's campaign but I'm already enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did RE4/5, and this is as someone who liked both those games and put plenty of hours into them. Aside from the aforementioned rope QTE and one other bullshit QTE involving a meat grinder, I never found myself getting annoyed at the game or wanting any section of the game to be over already. I'm already expecting Chris' to be boring but I am looking forward to playing the other two campaigns and playing a bunch of Mercenaries.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
Just finished Chris' campaign and dear god that was such a slog to play through and really was the polar opposite of Leons' in terms of enjoyment, I finished most of the chapters around an hour and a half but it felt like it went on for a lot longer and the only enjoyment I had with it tended to be completely on accident, like forward rolling in slow motion and blowing a J'avo's kneecap out to save the hostage in Chapter 1 or pushing like 5 guys in a row over rooftop railings to their deaths. Have been looking forward to Jake's campaign and will probably start that tomorrow with my coop buddy, it's not like the remaining campaigns can be any worse than Chris' so it all up hill from here. Right guys?:ohdear:

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Honest Thief posted:

The old stagger mechanics still work, kinda, you just need to shoot about three times as much to get through all the thick armor the zombies have; seriously, their clothings and skin must be made of steel.

You must be having some really bad luck then because I'd say around 90% of the time enemies get stunned by a single shot to the head or arm (this is applied mostly with pistols and the more powerful ARs, the other weapons need a few shots to get the stagger but make up for it will larger magazine sizes) and after playing a bunch of Mercenaries in 4 and 5 in the weeks leading up to 6 I'd honestly say that the stagger has worked better and more reliably for me here than it did in those games. On the rare occasion that the first shot doesn't stagger and barring the stagger mechanic not being a dick, 2/3 shots seems to be the maximum total shots to get the stagger and if the third doesn't do it then it'll pop their head instead. I also have to disagree with the people saying the game wants you relying on the quickshot mechanic, while it may be an instant stun it takes a bar of your stamina gauge and then another to do the follow up melee with a possible third if they still aren't dead so using it liberally will have you burning through your stamina (yes you can use your herbs to refill the gauge but it can leave you vulnerable to attacks and I'd rather save them for when I might need a heal if I've been taking too much damage instead of burning them every time I need the stamina refill) so if I'm going to be using that much of my stamina bar I'd rather set up a Coup de Grace for the extra time bonus and has a pretty limited range that homes in on the closest enemy to you so it can lock on to the wrong enemy if you're surrounded. I've found it to be better as an emergency "get off me" button when I need to stun an enemy and I don't have the time to bring up manual aiming or when I start getting swarmed by those drat dogs and instead use the normal stagger -> contextual melee for a guaranteed kill for one bar, except for the armored zombies who either need two headshots then melee or a stomp follow up, and that bar will usually fill up naturally by the time I get to do it again and depending if the melee knocked over more enemies I can get some extra stomps in.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

There's just something really satisfying about putting hours into Mercenaries learning how to collect all the time bonuses and herbs/grenades/etc, enemy spawn patterns and then putting it all together to get the max combo in a map with less than 30 seconds remaining even though you hosed up and missed a time bonus by jumping down off the ledge and then having to kill the zombie ready to bite a chunk of flesh out of your neck. Now if only I could be this good at Steel Beast.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Sandwich Miter posted:

The third bug I've had is I was playing host for some mercenaries. We finally beat it, and I should've unlocked the next level, right? My partner did anyways. My score is saved but I still only have Urban Chaos unlocked.

You unlock the other Mercenaries map by beating Chris and Jake's campaigns not by beating the maps.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Doflamingo posted:

No release date for the PC version yet, eh? Capcom sure is taking their sweet rear end time with that.

Capcom's been taking their sweet rear end time with releasing a lot of things in regards to RE6. There's been nothing about how to get those retro costumes (also nothing on any other costumes, which is surprising because Capcom loves selling extra costumes for their games), absolutely nothing on the new game modes (revealed back in September) and mercenaries maps, and still no definitive date for that free dlc with Ada coop, the new difficulty, and the new FOV settings. I love playing this game, Mercenaries especially, but I'm itching for some new content to vary it up.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Krad posted:

There's a map pack coming out this week. That's something.

Do you have a link for that? I've been watching out for dlc news since release and I haven't heard anything about a map pack for this week and a quick google search isn't bringing anything up either.

VVVV Oh, so it's just Capcom being really bad at advertising then.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 3, 2012

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
Map Pack A, which consists of two additional maps, is up on XBL for 160 funbucks. It's not as good as free but $1 per map is pretty reasonable and will probably be picking this up once I'm done with my final today, here's to hoping they're similar in quality to most of the current Mercenaries stages and not like Steel Beast :ohdear:

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Spermando posted:

In RE5, there were spawn points all over the maps, and enemies would normally come out of whichever ones were closest to you. They would eventually run dry, but all you had to do was move to a different area.
In RE6, every single enemy has a predetermined spawn point, regardless of where you are. Worse yet, some are programmed to pick a spot and stay there. That's why it never feels as hectic as RE5. The enemy count seems lower, too. Mercs Reunion would throw 12 enemies at you at once, whereas RE6 has five or six most of the time.

EDIT: Does anyone here know what the Broken Butterfly is supposed to be in reality? A friend asked me and I'm not really sure what it is.

I've 40+ hours of Mercenaries in 6 so far and the only map I've seen this problem is on Steel Beast (also happens to easily be the worst map of the bunch) because of the tiered and open level structure and bad spawn points in general, but with all the others I haven't had any problem with running out of enemies as long as I keep moving around periodically. The bold part is my emphasis because I'm going to call bullshit as this is a blatant lie just to find something to complain about. On Urban Chaos alone, I've had half a dozen bloodshots alone attacking me with another half dozen normal zombies and assortment of unique zombies as well/boss monsters, and I have similar situations occur on other maps and has been much more adrenaline pumping and hectic than Mercenaries in 4&5.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Azran posted:

Oh. :downs:

So a new map pack came out? The one that includes Liquid Fire. Is it worth it? At least for me, it seems no one plays the vanilla maps anymore.

I'd say so, especially for only $2. Liquid Fire and Requiem for War are really fun maps with some interesting mechanics and enemy variety thrown in them.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Alteisen posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/183817/Resident_Evil_6_isnt_selling_as_well_as_Capcom_hoped.php#.UNF_jHcu3aY

RE6 selling badly, all I can say is good, though one wonders if Capcom actually cares.

So did you actually read the article you linked or did you just see the title of it and let your apparent dislike of the game make you jump to conclusions? Nothing in the article even hints that this is the case, just that the game initially sold well in spite of reviews and sales have slowed more than expected so it probably won't be meeting Capcom's previous estimate of 7 million units sold by the end of the fiscal year, which to be fair is a little high and has supposedly been changed to 6 million in light of the sales figures, so let's wait until we get some actual sales figures before we go writing the game off as a commercial failure, okay?

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Azran posted:

So the EX3 Costumes event is starting tomorrow. Should be fun - we gotta reach, as a whole, 5 million zombie kills if I recall correctly.

It's 15 million kills, but even that's quite doable. The event runs for 10 days and if everyone got a minimum of 100 kills per day then it would only require 15000 people to reach the goal. I'm also going to assume that these costumes are probably the retro costumes that were found out long ago.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Cyra posted:

I'll probably skip anything multiplayer (as I did with RE 5) because it seems like it would be either dead, awful, or both. I'll gladly kick in for more mercenaries poo poo though. Anyone with a 360 who has any thoughts on the multiplayer stuff?

I haven't touched Survivors or Onslaught (though I probably should as it's Mercenaries combined with Tetris Attack and that just sounds amazing) yet, but I've found Predator mode to be a whole lot of fun and really hectic when you have a full party. The new weapon loadouts for each character are interesting and the scarcity of ammo and supplies really encourages cooperation amongst the survivors because an uncoordinated team will get absolutely wrecked by the Ustanak and he moves faster than you so running is not really a viable strategy but conversely playing as the Ustanak will force you to be thoughtful and strategic about your attack because any smart team will tear your life to shreds if you just bull rush them. It does have some things that can be annoying but they haven't been big enough to detract from my enjoyment, the biggest issue with it is player count though. The game really needs five or six people to shine and last I played a few weeks ago it was getting harder to find lobbies with enough people but maybe that was just due to being on at a time when not many people were on, any lower and it starts getting one sided in favor of the Ustanak and close to unwinnable for the survivors, but as long as you have some friends with the mode as well and can pick up a few pubbies it can definitely be enjoyable.

Seige, however, I'll more than likely be skipping because that does not look fun at all and if Agent Hunt taught me anything it's that playing as the enemies is just an exercise in frustration with the controls (does not apply to Ustanak because he actually controls well) but I'm happy with more map packs for Mercenaries and Predator especially if they keep their $1/stage pricing.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

blackguy32 posted:

I always gently caress up my counters online because of the lag :(. That is really the only way I know how to deal with bloodshots other than just blasting them with the elephant killer.

Grenades work wonders against bloodshots when you can't counter them. Incendiary and frag grenades should one shot them and can be used against large groups of them while flash bangs will set them up for chaining coup de graces.

efb: well that's what I get for not refreshing.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 29, 2013

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
Oh, that is absolutely fantastic. Now I really wish I didn't have this dinosaur for a desktop because all these features they're adding to the pc version are really appealing and I'm totally going to double dip on this game, just got to wait out the next two or three months before I can build a new pc that would be able to handle this.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

citizenlowell posted:

I'd be more excited about this additional multiplayer content for the PC if the online play on the xbox version wasn't already completely dead. I'm sure they'll be people playing when it launches, but it seems like it'll fade quickly.

They launched another DLC multiplayer mode last week and I still have trouble finding matches on that. They're fun when there's people to play, but I'm not sure if it's going to attract any sort of player base.

I think the biggest problem with those dlc modes is that they came out way too far after the game launched so there was always going to be a lot fewer people buying them than there could've been had it come out sooner, which is a shame because some of those modes like Predator were a real blast to play in the first couple of weeks when it was released and you could get a full game going easily but now a days it's hard enough to find people still playing these modes and even then you'll maybe get a game with 4 people total and with that few people it's just not any fun. The PC version at least gives everyone who preorders the game free access to those dlc modes so depending on how many people actually do get the game there might be a larger install base of people who will have access to those modes instead of passing over them because they have to purchase it separately.

vvvvvv Oh I definitely agree that having to pay for those game modes was horrendously stupid, especially considering Capcom announced those game mode were coming several months before the game was even released. Had the dlc been released sooner to the game launch I'd say, yes, the price would be it's biggest problem but I don't think having it be free 3 months after launch would have made that huge a difference. Like I said the first week or two I didn't really have any problems finding people to play with, Predator usually had around a dozen different lobbies that would fill up with max players quickly, so there were a good amount of people who actually bought the modes it just didn't have the player base to keep it alive after people started moving on from it. Honestly, I think it being free probably would have caused people to drop it quicker because not having to have paid for it they wouldn't have that incentive to play more so they can feel like they got their money's worth from the purchase.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 15, 2013

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Wanderer posted:

Only in terms of what Capcom wanted to happen. IIRC, they wanted to move five million copies and "only" moved four.

I think it was actual worse than that, Capcom's original estimate was something like 7 million and then they revised it to 5. Even at somewhere between 4 and 5 million, that's still good sales numbers, unless the game had a gigantic budget, especially considering all those negative reviews it got.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
Finally had some time to sit down and play the PC version of this, and my god No Mercy is everything I could ever want out of Mercenaries and somehow even more so. It's just so awesome countering one of the flaming 2x4 zombies, killing him and at the same time having another 20 or so zombies catch on fire all while the game still runs at a silky smooth 60 FPS. It's really kind of sad how anemic regular Mercenaries is compared to No Mercy when the moment you start the game enemies are spawning in and there's basically never anytime when you're in risk of losing your combo because you killed all the enemies around you faster than the game can spawn and get them to you, and there's actually a sense of danger from being encircled by a couple dozen zombies. So far Capcom's impressed me with how well made this port is, I especially like that aside from playing through Ada's campaign if I wanted to unlock her for Mercenaries I don't have to go through the 20 or so hours of the campaign again just to unlock content for Mercenaries and that they were nice enough to include all the dlc maps for free instead of making us pay for it.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

PureRok posted:

Are we sharing residentevil.net accounts so we can make buddies or whatever (mine here, I think)? I have the PC version and apparently only two of my friends on Steam play it, so if you're looking for someone to play some co-op campaign or mercenaries with feel free to add me.

E: For Resident Evil 6. Sorry for not being clear. The RE6 thread linked in the OP is closed, so I posted this here.

Sent you a friend request, love playing Mercenaries. Need to figure out how to connect my current headset's mic to work on my pc so no voice chat atm, though I can always just swap it with my old held together with electrical tape headset if need be.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Geight posted:

I figured. Now I regret not participating in all that stuff!

Also today I just found out that you can very quickly recover from getting knocked down by pressing space at the right time and that's a serious gamechanger. :aaaaa:

Here's an even bigger game changer, you can just hold it down while you're falling and you'll do the quick rise, no timing necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Crowetron posted:

I remember a while ago reading some thing on Gamefaqs or something similar where someone translated everything the Ganado said in RE4, both in and out of cutscenes. I learned many Spanish curse words from that and it was kinda interesting besides. Did anyone ever do that for the Majini and/or J'avo (although I honestly can't tell if the J'avo are actually saying things or just screaming gibberish while getting mega-punched)?

The Edonian J'avo speak Serbo-Croatian, which as someone with parents from Bosnia and can speak and understand Serbo-Croatian in a decent capacity was really awesome to listen to and know exactly what they're saying, so yeah they actually are saying things. Though a lot of what they say is just generic insults, throwing around things that translate to "I will break you!" "You can't do anything to me!" and my favorite "Eat poo poo and die!" which are really tame compared to a lot of the colorful insults and cursing I've heard native speakers use.

Edit: Can I also make not of how much I hate the way Chris mispronounces J'avo by adding an unnecessary u-sound after the j, which just reminds me that they felt the need to stylize Djavo and make it be pronounced differently because dj makes a j-sound while a j by itself makes a y-sound.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2013