Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Wanderer posted:

An interview with a guy named Takenaka, one of the associate producers on Revelations, is making the rounds. Apparently the Lady Hunk design was an in-joke with the developers that they decided to throw in as a laugh, and the game's structure is because it's deliberately patterned after Japanese TV dramas. Rachel is really popular in Japan, and Jessica is really popular in China.

What about Keith? Keith's super-popular worldwide, right? He's getting a spin-off where him and Quint go on zany bioterrorism-related misadventures, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Does the writing in Revelations ever pick up at any point? Not become better, but just....fun?

It seems really flat and bland all the humour so far is really forced.

Also, man, that one character's design that's just a pair of tits with no face is hilarious.

Jill's new partner is insufferable, too.

I didn't like Parker initially either, but he really grew on me by the end of the game.

There isn't much in the way of humor except for Keith and Quint's sections. Certainly no RE4-caliber banter.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

If it wasn't for his hair, Raymond would also look okay. Maybe far too dapper, but not entirely out of place. There's no excuse for the girls though. Not even Jill was spared.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

RocketDarkness posted:

Between Resident Evil 6 and Revelations, I've been on a pretty long RE kick. Ended up ordering a few of the Deck Building Game sets to try out with friends this weekend. We all love Dominion, so I'm sure this one will receive a warm welcome. Especially since it provides plenty of excuses to quip classic RE dialog at each other.

Good on you, this game is a ton of fun. I haven't got to play any of the expansions yet, but it really is Dominion with guns. Make sure you grab the errata online, though. There are several things that aren't made clear or just flat out wrong that it corrects.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I would consider myself a long time RE fan, but I skipped over 6 because it received poor reviews and I personally wasn't impressed with the demo. I'm seeing a lot of love for it in this thread, so is it really that underrated? It felt pretty clunky to me and I wasn't a fan of the prevalent cover-shooter mechanics. Considering it's dirt cheap I'm thinking of picking it up, but I keep seeing here that the controls are great and combat is fluid, which is the complete opposite of my impressions from the demo. There's obviously something I'm missing, so I guess I'm asking everyone to please sell me on this game by telling me how I should be playing it. I realize that sounds sarcastic but it is not.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 1, 2013

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks everyone for the input. After watching some skilled Mercenaries runs and some of Lunethex's LP, drat does RE6 look slick when the player knows what they're doing. I always loved the "stagger and punch" combat style and it's neat to see it expanded on. I went ahead and bought the game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm excited to jump in later today.

RocketDarkness, it's good to hear you had fun with the card game. Krauser's hilarious in that game. I forget which expansion it requires, but with the right loadout he is entirely capable of taking on Uroboros Aheri with nothing but knives. My favorite Alliance setup is Wesker and Rebecca, for maximum dick potential. Nothing like stuffing someone's deck with +10 ammo and then forcing them to explore the mansion!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

RocketDarkness posted:

Which platform did you purchase RE6 on?

PC. Might get it for PS3 later if I really like it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

And don't forget that her idea of proper mountain-climbing attire is leggings and high heels.

I guess I can admire her dedication to being a femme fatale at all costs, but she should just hang it up. She's no Ada Wong. The only man she was fooling was Parker, and he seemed to only find her kind of amusing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

UnsuitableWasp posted:

"You should have worn your thermal underwear." is great at capturing just how silly Revelations is sometimes- Chris says it so matter-of-factly, it enhances the effect even more. I wonder if that silliness is something they actively strive for and require now, or is it just accidental and a quirk of the writers- because to me it seemed that RE5 played it completely straight when it came to the plot and characters (Complete global saturation and boulder punching excluded of course) while RE4 was one goofy scene and line after the other.

Also, those Gifs- they're awesome. I laughed way harder than I probably should have.

I think it's mostly that they strive for varying degrees of 80s/90s action movie silliness. You know how Commando was more grounded in reality than Predator, but they were both more serious than Total Recall, but they were all pretty dumb? Resident Evil works the same way.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I'm pretty sure the only trigger for the final giggle is just to keep watching the video and checking until it happens. I don't know if it's random or tied to a certain amount of times, but I did it for both myself and a friend and nothing else I did seemed to matter. I definitely picked up ammo. So just keep at it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

haha nice

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Please be kind to my best friends, Jackass and Grinder.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

Just like with most video game parries, timing is everything. And in RE3 it is a steep learning curve that can reap vast rewards.

Honestly, if they do a full-scale 3 remake, I want to see dodging/grapple escaping make a return. Like from the RE5 tech demo where Chris is just juking and reversing left and right, but actually useable and in a fun game.

I did not enjoy 5. Personal opinion, just was not my jam.

I just finished replaying 5 and yikes, the partner AI was even worse than I remembered. Some highlights from this playthrough:

Standing there and watching me get swarmed by Majini, holding an empty shotgun with 30+ shells in her inventory.

Equipping a machine gun I had her pick up instead of her much better rifle, and using it to slowly line up and take single shots every few seconds.

Suggests flanking the giant bat-thing boss, which proves to be effective. During the rematch in the temple, glued herself to my rear end and refused to follow her own previous tactical advice no matter which mode I put her in, effectively making me fight it alone the hard way.

Watching me touch an exit door, then doing an entire lap around the level before finally coming back to activate it with me.

Repeatedly telling me she can’t hand me more ammo for my magnum during a boss fight, even though she is not using a magnum, is standing right next to me in a safe corner, and is clearly not doing anything else.

New game+ and both carrying infinite Lightning Hawks, we’re forced to pick up the starting handgun at the beginning, which she immediately switches to and refuses to use anything else, and since I have my own I can’t take it from her. She goes out of her way to get more ammo for it, something she hardly ever had the initiative to do in the first run.

I don’t know how this ever got ok’d in playtesting, or why they haven’t bothered to touch it up in all the rereleases (actually I know the answer and it’s Capcom.)

Hell, it would be a huge improvement if they just cut out the partner entirely and gave me 18 inventory slots to work with alone. They do one cool thing with Sheva and it’s the last 15 seconds of the game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I forget exactly when it happens, but in RE6 either a tank or the Ustanak or something explodes onto the scene, and Jake mutters “Dammit!” with all the emotion and urgency of a man who just locked his keys in his car, and it never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Backhand posted:

Gonna have to be waaaay more specific, friend.

Ha, well. This was actually meant for another thread where they are currently discussing great RE series non-reactions.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Jill can probably still kick rear end after all the poo poo Wesker put her through turning her into a killing machine.

The Legend Josh Stone needs to make a comeback, but I think he’s supposed to be around the same age as the rest of the old guard.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It's also robbed of any tension that it might create since the game is level scaled (or whatever it's called) to automatically drop batteries when you run low. And not being to see anything at all is an OK idea in theory but not that much fun to actually play, at least to me. I remember liking Outlast well enough but not being able to fight even a little bit got old after a while. They could have put some improvised traps or makeshift weapons in it here and there just to give you SOME offense.

And none of the videos did poo poo beyond (maybe) effecting your ending. Having some camera gameplay where if you pull off a full video under tense circumstances, it will help you reveal hidden things, teach you an enemy's patterns, show where he hides his weapons/keys or offers up his weaknesses would have helped broken up the "run, loving hide and be quiet" core design and brought a little variety.

Jumping from that to Evil Within was a welcome shift in mechanics.

What do we know about RE8? Just that it exists?

All we know is that Capcom is hiring testers for a Resident Evil thing. That RE8 banner is just a fan mock-up.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Wesker isn’t anime, he’s The Matrix.

The Matrix, however, is anime.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

You all complain, but what if you entered the sewer level and a character said “Man, I hate sewer levels!” to let you know the developer was in on the joke. Makes you think, doesn’t it?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, Plagas are seeded. They just do a good job of making you think it’s because of headshots.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

That page leaves out the important questions, like how often has Wesker had to sleep on the couch after he accidentally called her “Chris” in bed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

codo27 posted:

That he impales you with, then your blood makes the shape of the Umbrella logo, symbolizing that you were just as bad as Umbrella.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Having just finished another playthrough of Revelations, I am amazed how little the ending comes up because it is the most blatant artificial extension I can think of. You finish the chapter called Revelations, and you kill a big boss with a rocket launcher and fly away on a helicopter, and get the big plot twist reveal. In any other RE that would mean it’s time to roll credits.

But then you suddenly have a flimsy reason to go to a location that was never mentioned to find a person you’ve never heard of and that shouldn’t be alive, who fights you for literally no reason, for very little stakes. It’s bizarre. I know technically Norman has the dirt on Lansdale, but Quint and Keith already found enough evidence to have him dead to rights.

Oh and somewhere in there you play a flashback level you already did several chapters earlier, but backwards.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Jack really, really loves being an immortal hillbilly murder-man, it's pretty great.

Hell, same

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I've always been incredibly fond of Ethan's "Okay, fine!" when he gets the handgun.

Reacting to my own dismemberment by and imminent death to my chainsaw maniac monster wife with the same kind of frustrated exasperation I reserve for stubbing my toe as I walk to the bathroom at 2 am.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

You want snu-snu? I'll give you snu-snu!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Very excited to announce here that I performed mocap for The Duke.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

sigher posted:

Speaking about standalone, after watching the demo, I kinda wish this game was just it's own IP. RE's weird for me in that I don't care much to see old faces come back over and over. I was stoked with RE7 since it felt so fresh, until the end when Chris shows up randomly to give me the "Albert" to finish off the last boss. Speaking about it, I'm fearing the worst that this game is going to poo poo the bed at the end, shove us in a dull lab setting (yet again) that's about to explode while we mow down tons of enemies and completely ruin the mood. Please don't gently caress this up Capcom.

I hope to gently caress there's no explanation for the werewolves and vampires. :iiam: that poo poo without any reasoning.

Fair, but I mean...it's a Resident Evil game. It is absolutely going to end at a lovely lab that explodes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Pretty much everything that made AI Sheva awful in 5 was severely toned down or removed in 6. AI partners still aren't terribly useful but at least they aren't an active detriment anymore.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Back when I played the game on PS2, I could've sworn that you can only buy one rocket launcher ever. Limited stock, like with some other things. Is this something they changed in other versions or did I just completely miss them reappearing in the store menu after you buy one?

It's one rocket launcher at a time, I believe. I don't remember if picking up the free one in the castle prohibits you from buying a second.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I never understood the point of the Killer7. If you need your magnum to reload faster, you are using it wrong anyway.

It's for me, the world's biggest Killer7 fan, to look at and say "I get that reference!" and applaud wildly before ignoring it and using the Broken Butterfly anyway.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Revelaitons

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you know of any games that provide the kind of hybrid third person shooter-brawler action that RE6 does, I’d be thrilled to hear ‘em. From my own experience, though? For all its many faults, the core gameplay of RE6 is visionary, and I wouldn’t be surprised if its influence is felt in a more polished game (from whatever studio) somewhere down the line.

The closest I can think of is Vanquish.

Everybody needs to play Vanquish.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

RE5 and RE6 compare almost directly to Mega Man X5 and X6.

5:
* Mechanically solid
* Ridiculously boring
* Annoying helper character drags the whole experience down
* Boss fight with BFF is a high point for the series

6:
* Obviously rushed
* Often mechanically hateful
* Adds a bunch of complexity, explains none of it
* Bonkers plot that's impossible to follow
* Has fans despite its glaring flaws

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Ror posted:

drat I want a remake of Parasite Eve so bad. You could update the engine to be a smoother over the shoulder experience but you could probably keep whatever the VATS-like system was pretty intact and it would still be great. IIRC it's a rights nightmare though.

But I think Capcom straight up owns the Dino Crisis property so please remake that. I guess just remake all the PS1 games.

Well, you see, they did release a third game in the Parasite Eve/Aya Brea saga but it was on a dying platform and had nothing to do with the rest of the series and sucked extra bad and was way, way, way too horny for a child trapped in an adult woman's body and was just generally a huge poo poo taken on the rest of the series and its fans.

So naturally that means it's a dead property that nobody likes and nobody ever liked in the first place so there's no reason to bother bringing it back in any form.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It's good but it has a really stupid final chapter, wherein Jill and Chris go to a location they shouldn't know or care about to confront a guy who shouldn't be alive, to learn information they already know and he would have no reason not to give them, but instead he attacks them in a way that will guarantee his death no matter what, despite not knowing who they are. And this all comes after the climactic giant monster/rocket launcher/helicopter escape sequence.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Kenzo posted:

Is there anything different about this hour long Village demo?

It's just the last two demos in one package, but with an hour time limit. You can spread your play time across both, or if you really wanted to you could use the hour to more thoroughly explore one of them.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres a randomizer for the main game, apparently. not 100% confirmed tho.

Very cool if true. The framework was already there in 7 with Ethan Must Die.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Nemesis X will be a 15 foot tall MILF with big jugs. So will all the other enemies. And Ethan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Can't fit a cheese hat over the big hat.