Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Spalec posted:

Is Resi 4 worth persevering with? I only played it briefly on a friends Gamecube and couldn't get on with it at all, the controls were just awful although that might have been the gamecube controller. Will I have an easier time of it on PS3?

I really wish they'd give a HD rerelease to the RE1 remake though. I loved that game.

The control scheme is interesting. It's actually pretty versatile once you get the hang of it, but it can seem clunky the first time you play. I'd say stick with it-for the length, content, and Leon Kennedy, it's a better value than most new games coming out these days. Plus, you can pull up The Dark Id's LP as a sort of walkthrough, which makes any run of the game that much more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fraction posted:

Can you get the older games on Xbox 360?

I have RE5 and enjoyed that enough to want to play the older ones, but I can't seem to find most of them. I have a wii too but the controls on the wii are just terrible in general and I've only played Xbox since last summer so :effort:

They actually came out with HD Remakes of both Code Veronica X and RE4 over the past summer for the 360. I haven't played CVX, but I got RE4 and it remains an absolute blast to play.

thebardyspoon posted:

The first one was vaguely PS1 era RE but the second Dino Crisis was RE4 before RE4. It had a combo system for killing enemies in quick succession that gave you money and you spent the money on new weapons like an anti tank rifle. It was also loving awesome.

And then the third one came out, had nothing to do with the first two, and was absolutely terrible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cold Sprunk posted:

Can you play RE:4 HD on the 360 and still be in an Xbox Live party and all that stuff? Normally with re-relaseses or older games they have those features disabled.

From personal experience, yes. Only original Xbox games have that issue.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Spec Ops is a game that really should've never been as good as it was. And let's be honest, if it didn't approach the content as well as it could have, at least it tried to have a challenging message and story, and was memorable for it-which is certainly more than can be said for the vast majority of other cover-based shooters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Len posted:

There won't be any tofu or hunk because it wasn't in the E3 video.

Well duh, how would they fit in when the entire game is set in the RPD lobby?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Good soup! posted:

Even if RE 1.5 was going to be a far weaker game, I still find it fascinating and love how far this project has come

Some dude put together an exhaustive 40 or 50 page "book" of sorts on it's history, the development, where it was at when it was finally scrapped, and all the drama behind the leaked versions and how they ended up in people's hands, and it's an interesting read

You have a link to it?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I haven't played RE6, but I have played RE5 and the mandatory co-op ruins a lot of what could have been a fun follow-up to 4. Having to constantly manage the AI partner is frustrating and ruins a lot of the atmosphere, the inventory system isn't as fun to manage (Say what you will, but I liked inventory Tetris), and the game just doesn't have nearly as many memorable moments.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah! I can't remember if it does x amount of damage or you have to hit him x amount of times but there was no way I could have juked around him long enough to do that.

Hah. I might just watch a LP whilst holding a controller instead.

Speaking of which, are there any good, informative RE Lpers(too many acronyms there) out there? Y'know, none of this, "WHAT IS UP U GUYS!"*dubsteb blares* nonsense. I forget the lad's name who I've been watching but he seems to just do speedruns, which are great and all, but I really wouldn't mind seeing someone digging into Veronica.

They're screenshot LPs so I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for, but The Dark Id's RE LPs are fuckin' classics.

Edit: In order:

4 Resident Evil

Code Veronica

Dead Aim

RE2/3

Zero

REmake

Some of the material is... dated, to say the least (The RE4 LP came out like 11 years ago), but for the most part they're still pretty good. Or at least they were when I read them back in high school, so who knows :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 26, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
oh man Doom is so fuckin' good, definitely play it if you get a chance.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I got to play the RE2 demo at SDCC yesterday! It's ultimately pretty short, but man it looks, sounds, and plays great. Definitely looking forward to when the full game is released.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

codo27 posted:

Hate you so much

Wow, and I didn't even mention the free RPD t-shirt they gave out! :v:

Jokes aside it was a really neat moment for me, since the first time I ever saw RE in action was when the had a big demo booth set up for RE4 at SDCC way back in 2004. I was too young to play it then, but the memory really stuck with me, and part of the reason why I'm so excited for RE2 is because it seems like a real reinvigoration of the RE4 formula.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ineffiable posted:

Also it was weird we never got Lucas transforming or a random rear end grandma fight at the end. But the rest of the game is so stellar, I'll overlook that.

You fight Lucas in the DLC. As to the second one, uh...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/GingeraleDragon/status/1024141835789389825?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Toaster Beef posted:

An RE4 remake would be such an insanely difficult needle to thread. I want to see it, but I also don't.

RE4 is the kind of game that's just as fun to play today as it was fourteen years ago, and with the various HD rereleases it doesn't even look *that* bad. I just can't see a remake succeeding, considering it's pretty much already perfect.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Trying to parse this, I'm not sure what you mean by this? 0 fps? No first person view mode?

Frames per second, means the game is chugging hard and freezing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Does the upper mid west get cold in october? Usually we dont get relief from the devils taint until November down south.

Depends but typically yes.

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

In the E3 demo there's a targeting reticle, though I do hope there is an option for laser sights.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

RealFoxy posted:

I don't really care about the story beats, I'm just more concerned about how different the mechanics have been between 4/5, 6, and 7 that this game is fun to play. 4 and 7 were so much fun single player and 5 and 6 were ONLY fun if you played in couch coop settings. I haven't been up to date so I don't know if they're using the 7 engine or not, but I don't think it translate well to RE2.

I played the E3 demo at SDCC, and it feels good. It uses the same engine as RE7 and the inventory and health management are the same, but the actual third person gameplay reminded me a lot of RE4, with the addition of being able to move while aiming. It was only a brief demo (And you can look it up on YouTube to get the gist of it), but there's no doubt in my mind this is going to be the best game in the series since 4.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sakurazuka posted:

The only RE extra mode I've ever beaten is Code Veronica just because of how insane the knife is in that.

I've beaten Assignment Ada and Seperate Ways multiple times each to unlock the Chicago Typewriter because it owns owns owns :clint:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Amppelix posted:

Gotta say, knowing about the adaptive difficulty makes dying a little bit more of an annoyance than usual. I'm the type of player who likes to beat my head against challenges until I finally get through, and knowing if I do that the game's just going to make it easier for me is a bit of a bummer. It's like, you didn't have to do that yet! I wanted to try it again twenty times until I was ready to move on to an easier version!

But whatever, small problem. Doesn't look like the game was going to be one with many of those types of sections anyway even without the difficulty scaling.

Note that once you beat the game once you unlock Professional difficulty, which is quite a bit harder and significantly reduces the amount of ammo you get from killing enemies.

RE4 is so fuckin' good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of that, how do you get enemies into the kneeling state? I think I've done it once or twice accidentally but I've never even seen the kneeling finisher. I guess opening doors on them is one way.

IIRC they kneel if you shoot them directly in the kneecap.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kibayasu posted:

You also don't get the suplex until Leon loses his jacket. Or maybe not until the second major area? I forget which.

Yeah he only gets it in the castle against the cultists.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It really does go to show though just how deep the game is-there's tons of secrets and strategies built in that can make every playthrough different, whether you're playing for the first time or the 15th. There's a reason it's regarded as one of the best action games ever made.

Also if you have the chance you should definitely check out the Dark Id's LP of 4 as, though some parts are regrettably dated, it's still very funny and very informative.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dr. Abysmal posted:

New Claire gameplay, includes combat against Lickers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSb91YO2bw

Definitely neat to see the Hi-Power back, along with the RE4-style laser sight.

e: 'JMB Hp3', John Moses Browning Hi-Power, I see what you did there Capcom

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 8, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Deadguy2322 posted:

Whatever. I�m sick of seeing all the rough corners in media sanded down and covered in foam. Let the emos out there slash their wrists because one make-believe person said something mean to another make-believe person. It�s a little much-needed chlorine in the gene pool.

uuuuuhhhhhhhh

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Amppelix posted:

What, you can run into two there? How did I originally skip both of these?

I mean, I know how, it's because I just stood behind one of the houses and shot and kicked the villagers shuffling down an alley until they stopped. I guess they really expected you to try to move about more, and maybe even try escaping instead of immediately going for the "shoot it until it dies" tactic.

I can imagine that encounter going a whole lot differently if the last RE you played was one of the PS1 ones.

Both are scripted—the one that most people run into spawns when you enter the house with the Shotgun, and the other spawns if you try and escape through one of the gates.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The first time I ever saw a Resident Evil game in action was when they were doing a demo of 4 at SDCC in 2004. I was 11, and my mom tried to keep me away from the booth, but I kept sneaking back to watch people try and play through the first part of the game and ultimately getting their heads chainsawed off on giant-rear end screens.

It was awesome.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

OldMemes posted:

How did Umbrella expect to get the BOWs back in the box to reuse as weapons anyway? Zombies are disposable, but some of the other ones look fancy - and pricy.

I mean in fairness, so are missiles and those don't get reused.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fereydun posted:

RE5 was literally the best selling game of all time for capcom before monster hunter world
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

RE6 is right behind it as well, and was #2 for a long rear end time

funny enough, REmake2 has a larger team than RE6's, so idk if you can really call that a scaling down
see:
https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/1064576909340639232

Man, I remember when it was a big deal when Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had 150.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The game looks beautiful and gross and terrifying and goddammit I need it now

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

OldMemes posted:

Combat already looks hard, and with how rare ammo seems to be in the footage we've seen, then yeah....

Plus Resi characters are unable to pick up any melee weapon that's bigger than a pocket knife, this is science.

From when I played the demo, even regular zombies are really tricky to deal with as they constantly shuffle and stumble, making it hard to get good shots on them before they're so close they're on top of you. And evading them is just as difficult, since trying to run past even one in a narrow corridor is just asking to get a chunk ripped out of you.

Game looks good and plays good, it's gonna be great.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I dunno if there was some story cut out or something that made it an actual decision, because "do you pick your wife, for whom you have crossed the country, fought monsters, lost and reattached two appendages and generally nearly died, or do you pick this woman you talked to on the phone a couple of times who has a pretty cool haircut" really wasn't.

I was actually kinda tempted, since Zoe was the one actually trying to get me out of there and Mia was appearing increasingly suspicious as poo poo. It's a real dumb forced choice, though, especially since very little actually changes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
IIRC Mia is really evasive whenever you meet her, so I was pretty suspicious that she had some kind of involvement in the nonsense that was going down. Meanwhile, it was much easier to believe that Zoe was an innocent victim, especially as she's the only one who actively helps you for pretty much the entire game. :shrug: Still a dumb choice, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man I can't wait for the full game to be released, I'm hyped as all hell

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh there are knives plural, huh? I was wondering this whole time if there was only one survival knife and if I left it in a zombie's face after escaping him I'd have to get it back from him.

I found two, one on a dead cop and the one that Marvin gave me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vikar Jerome posted:

anywho, they are already working on re3 and lmao re4 is not getting remade.

RE4 really is one of those games I can't possibly see being remade outside graphical updates since it's already perfect. There's just nothing they could add or take away that would enhance the experience.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

David D. Davidson posted:

I was surprised that Capcom got away with Leon hanging dong for three quarters of the game.

Revealing Mr. X to be a mech suit piloted by Bill Clinton was a bold move, I'll give them that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Good soup! posted:

Just knock me out until Friday

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

laptop running vista in 1998 IMMERSION RUINED

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Beating an A campaign unlocks both B campaigns

Nah, beating the A campaign only unlocks the corresponding B campaign, but if you beat the B campaign you unlock the other B campaign in addition to the 4th Survivor.

Speaking of the 4th Survivor, goddamn is it kicking my rear end. I nearly made it to the end only to get locked in a horrifying combo of Mr. X decking me while a legless zombie kept grabbing me and stopping me from running away. Just let me escape you assholes! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

:toot:

It's funny how much I was literally swimming in ammo by the end just by hoovering things up and rarely getting into fights. Going into the final boss encounter I think I had something like 100 rounds of handgun ammo, 250+ SMG rounds, a dozen acid rounds, four grenades, and a fair amount of gunpowder on top of that. Now to try Hardcore and get murdered a bunch! :v: