Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Just played the demo, feels like they improved a lot of poo poo and the new dodge mechanic is sweet.

Chris' chapter however really feels like those awful parts in RE5 where the enemies had guns and a cover system appeared out of nowhere. Nobody liked those parts Capcom
Leon seems cool though. It's fun messing around with the slow rear end zombies, just sliding around and doing 180 flips and meleeing like an rear end in a top hat. I also noticed that you could counter the zombies' weapon attacks and kill them with their own axes or knives or whatever

e:

Alteisen posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-m...rt-235736.phtml

Give Capcom more money and they may remake RE2.

I personally think its bullshit plus they'll probably gently caress it up somehow. There's a community blog on d-toid there that actually presents a very good point, RE5 and 6 take themselves far to seriously whereas 4 was a lot more light-hearted yet still managed to retain its atmosphere and tension.
Never really understood the folks who said RE5 was too serious. I mean I guess the developers might have been serious with it, but man there is something wrong with you if you aren't grinning like gently caress at the cutscenes and marveling how they got every single horrible b-movie cliche into one game.

smuh fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Thievery posted:

Okay so can she slide tackle zombies and slash off their kneecaps with it because this is the most hilarious thing. (no, she cannot, play leon)

I have been reminded from this thread that I haven't yet played as the alternate characters. Might be time to give it a shot.
Helena is great in the demo, try doing three quickshots in quick succession with the Hydra to get a badass animation

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

I just finished Leon's campaign and went through the first chapter on Chris' side of things. Game's been a shitload of fun, even if I can't say I'm a fan of the setpiece-centered gameplay.

I hear Chris' campaign is supposed to be a boring 3rd person cover shooter kinda deal, but it really doesn't seem like it, not yet at least. You COULD play it like a cover shooter I suppose but personally, I can't help just rushing into enemies, bouncing from cover to cover until I get close enough to slash a guy with the knife and unleash a whirlwind of punches and slashes on the group of enemies

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played enough to find out how to do it well, but did they completely gimp the melee system from 5? Kneecapping and directional body shots don't seem to do anything at all, and most of the time the zombies don't even flinch. Characters seem to have only a couple melee moves, and not only do the downed enemy attacks not insta-kill enemies, half the time they miss. Is there a way to quick reload from the inventory during animations? It seems like the entirety of the melee system is mashing the melee button 3 times to do a generic combo.
Zombies are different than the ganados/J'avos or whatever. Zombies take more bullets and seem a bit tougher to stun them for melee. You can use the quickshot to stun any enemy close to you after which you can punch them, or you can try and go behind them to do an instant kill attack just like in RE5. Also on downed enemies, either equip a knife or try to stomp on their head, otherwise they won't die in one stomp. As for different moves, there are some contextual ones in which you can mash a zombie's head into a wall or kill them with their own weapons, and you can also counter most enemy attacks if you're good enough. Oh and no quick reload, though you don't need it since you can reload while running.

So yeah at this point it seems the game reeeally could have used a better tutorial or a manual or some poo poo like that. Personally I really enjoy having the chance to figure out mechanics by experimentation but it seems a lot of people get frustrated on not knowing how to play.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

How do you dive and slide? Saw a couple youtube vidoes of people using it, but didn't see any immediate advantage to dropping down.
Basically, dodging works by holding the aim button an then pressing A/X + direction. It's incredibly useful to learn how to use the dodge mechanic effectively, since just running around will get you killed real quickly. Also when you roll you can stay on the ground by holding the aim button, and then you can roll around on the ground by tapping left or right. Most enemies have trouble hitting downwards.

oh and you can slide by sprinting and then pressing the aim button.

smuh fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 7, 2012

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Section Z posted:

I've lost track of the times my Right Trigger knife animation to a downed zombie was interrupted by them going from prone to dive tackling my crotch. My record is three times in a row. Stab finisher animation gets halfway (it can also take multiple knife stabs through the skull to kill a zombie), tackled to the ground, fight them off, get up, halfway through stab finisher animation, repeat. Crawling zombies are the biggest threat to me if I can't approach them from the back or side, which is often the case with so many forced narrow corridors or fallen luggage piles. So it's bullets or lose another chunk of my ankles.
Yeah, honestly I just stay away from crawling zombies and wait for them to get up again before I bother to do anything. Or shoot a bullet or two into their heads. It can be worthwhile to stab them in the rear end while they're on the ground, though.

Section Z posted:

Along those lines, has anybody Managed to kill the gas zombie in the Chapter 2 Church before everyone inside was dead? After 2 remote bombs, 3 incendiary grenades, using all my pistol ammo, and 12 shotgun blasts to the head with it still alive I just milled around until everyone was dead. Still took a load of shotgun blasts afterwards to actually kill it.
Sure did! Even got a 'cheevo for having two survivors Basically just focused on shooting the fucker with a sniper rifle, shotgun and also used all my explosives. It's probably a big help to be playing in co-op.

E: Okay wow Chapter 4 of Chris' campaign was cool as hell. Got legitimately kinda scared in those dark corridors, being chased by loving Regenerators from RE4 Also the vehicle parts have been pretty cool as well, even though you wouldn't think so.

smuh fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 7, 2012

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Little Mac posted:

I'm playing as Piers in my co-op playthrough of Chris' campaign and I like the storyline a lot. However, I'm also playing with the assumption that Piers is Chris' illegitimate child who grew up and followed in his father's footsteps.

"CAPTAIN. CAPTAIN DAD. HURRY UP. DAD."
I thought it was hilarious how loving pissed Chris sound most of the campaign, especially the voice commands. Like pushing "Follow me" becomes "STAY OUTTA MY WAY " and "Praise" is "Don't get cocky".

Started up on Jake's thing today, so far it definitely seems the weakest one. CQC is fun as hell to use but they could have just named the whole thing "Gimmicks & QTEs". It's still pretty fun though

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

All right, finally finished all three of the campaigns! Although Jake's was the weakest, I still really liked the final fight with the Ustanak. Probably since you actually got to use melee in a boss fight, and I absolutely love Jake's melee moves. Overall, real fun game, and again just like RE5 it's one of the best co-op games there is. Pacing and not-explaining-poo poo were the biggest problems with the game, and they weren't THAT big problems anyways. I can definitely forgive some missteps since the game is god drat massive, especially for a linear shooter-like game - nearly 30 hours for the three campaigns, and I still got Ada's thing and Mercenaries to chew on. Totally worth the price for me.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Trico posted:

(God, Chris' vehicle level was so bad. I'm pretty sure I've seen iOS apps that looked and played better.)
I thought those were fun and a nice change to base gameplay Maybe it's different when playing alone, at least in co-op they were pretty sweet.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Hey so here's something awesome about Jake most people probably wont know about since the game sucks poo poo at communicating to the player:
When doing the charge-dash-punch thing (hold aim+attack), during the part when he's sprinting towards the targeted enemy you can roll to the sides or do backflips as much as you want without having to charge the attack again - he'll just continue running instantly after you do a dodge. When his first hit connects, you can actually keep doing a crazy combo if you just keep mashing the triggers. He'll throw out like five different real damaging melee moves and can beat the poo poo out of a crowd of enemies in seconds. I took on three Napads with that move, didn't even get a scratch

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Leyburn posted:

They need to patch in the guy saying RESIDENT EVIL... SIX, on the title screen. It only did it the first time I played.
It does that if you let the 10 second intro play before the title screen.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

People seem to have trouble with Mercs, so here's some Sweet Tips: Shoot a zombie in the head twice with a pistol/machine pistol, and melee them once for an instant kill move. With J'avo you only need one headshot to stagger like in RE4/5. Also if you shoot a zombie in the legs, or they fall down on their own, watch the gently caress out 'cause them fuckers can and will take advantage of the camera angle and pounce on you when you can't see them. You CAN headstomp a zombie, but only attempt that if you're sure you can do it before they have a chance to lunge at you from the ground. Also, each and every zombie with a melee weapon will die from one melee move, as long as you stagger them first. Counters are also instant kill for them.

Bloodshots, or Red Leap Zombies, are counter practice. One counter against their leap will kill them. Flash grenades are amazing against these guys too, as they'll fall to their knees and you can coup de grace them one by one.

And finally, use quickshots as your Panic Button. Zombies all around you? Quickshot and melee to clear up some space. Against single zombies though, double tapping them in the head for instakill is always better.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Today marks the day that I will finish RE5 for the tenth time! I'm playing the PS4 version and going through on Professional for the first time with an AI partner (used an actual person before). The Gigantes rail shooter part was incredibly difficult and I already know it was the hardest part this game will ever have, the QTEs were super quick and punishing and it felt like my gun was always near overheating plus the AI partner did not even attempt shooting the 3 respawning enemies that kept damaging the truck; also, I made the mistake of playing as Sheva which meant I couldn't shoot them if the big guy was near and blocking all my shots to the sides. Still having a ton of fun aside from that part. Infinite ammo rpg, ak and hydra make it fairly smooth sailing for the most part even if the AI partner seems terrified of spending ammo.

I really wish RE4 had ng+ that spanned through all difficulty settings is my point, I guess. I've burned out on playing that game with default weapons and progression so much that I feel sad I don't have it in me to play RE4, a better game overall, just because of that one annoyance. Don't think I've ever even played around with post-gamecube release version special guns and costumes.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't really get why people play those harder difficulty modes, I admit, I am picturing more second rate Capcom games when I say this but I can't imagine higher difficulties are balanced and designed as the game intends it
It's just more challenge. You kinda have to learn the gameplay better when everything kills you near instantly, like for example my professional playthroughs are the only ones where I realize that driving over bad guys with a boat hurts you (since on pro, you die instantly from that)

With RE5 especially tho its a combination of challenge and getting to play around with your upgraded weaponry against faster and tougher enemies. It was a lot of fun.

e:

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it's not really the same thing but the Real Survival difficulty in REmake where the item boxes aren't connected is a lot of fun. It really forces you to plan ahead and think about your routes
It's weird when I think about it, but compared to re4 and 5 or even 6 REmake just stresses me out too much to play on anything higher than normal. I suppose its the planning aspect of it that scares me the most since i'm forgetful as hell, plus having to play long streches of it again if I die is just too much for me. Still, replayed that game again too just a few weeks ago on normal with Chris and had a good time. I actually can't really think of an RE game I don't like aside from CV. gently caress CV.

smuh fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

RE5 was going to be the most racist game of all time where a white guy single handedly destroys all black people, but now its the game where a white guy and a black woman kill people in africa. Until the village sections, which at least got added a single file to handwave things with "oh no the virus made everyone just like their ancestors!".

the part with the whitest woman in the world being in distress is still pretty funny though, literally the only blonde woman in the game is the only one you ever even get the chance to try and save before she gets infected. Not that you can, but its a point of interest at the very least.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Vakal posted:

RE5's biggest sin in my eyes is re-using the el gigante for that vehicle section when an African elephant infected with palagas would have been so much more badass.
Well, re6 had the zombie t-rex pretty much, and it still sucked despite the rad as gently caress idea. Also all re0 bosses aside from the final one. Animal enemies just dont work for capcom sadly

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

NESguerilla posted:

In the early previews all the enemies were black and once they started getting poo poo for it they made a some of them white and that one guy that looks like Stalin.
Yeah, that's what I meant. With the inclusion of Sheva and making the enemies just people of different colors instead of straight up all-black-dudes they at least made an effort, even if it ended up being hit or miss at parts. Better than 'white hero man kills all africans The Game', that is.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Gonna marathon all RE movies tomorrow, both acted and CG ones. It's gonna be terrible but hell, I've been on a real RE kick lately so I'll hopefully make it through.

In other news, RE5 No Mercy mercs is loving NUTS. Saw 5 chainsaw guys drop in front of me one after another in a row while being chased by around 30 basic guys. poo poo is crazy and fun as hell, even if it is tough as nails. Wesker's super sprint is getting a lot of use at least!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there a way to turn on subtitles in Resident Evil 6? The option is there in the faux mobile phone menu but doesn't change when I click it.
I think it's like, you press the subtitles thing and then a prompt appears on the right side saying yes or no. It's weirdly easy to miss.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Cardboard Box A posted:

I don't get a prompt on the right side at all?

Also, should I get any kind of main menu when starting the game? All I get is a title screen and it goes to the video options and then straight into the opening cutscene. Do I have to finish the entire prologue or whatever it is before getting a main menu?
Huh, can't check it right now but that's how I remembered it working with the phone menu. Also yeah the game wont let you into actual options screens until you finish the crappy prologue which sucks and is always a terrible idea for a game to do.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Mercenaries No Mercy is a legit reason to fork over like 15 bucks for RE6. Probably the most fun I've had with videogames this year, since I only got to try that game mode out after the PS4 version was released.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Drunken Baker posted:

Thinking about picking up Revelations 2 later. The thing is, I played Revelations 1 but I don't remember ANYTHING about it. I think there was some goon character and I was farming slugs for something.

I'd be playing Revelations 2 alone and most people are saying Rush mode is where the real meat is. Is it to play al9one, do you reckon? And is there grinding? Y'know, something I could use as a good time sink over the next few days as I linger in limbo between homes?
Eh, I'd play it for the story rather than Raid mode - and it doesn't take a lot of things storywise from REv1 so you'd be fine even if you remember nothing. Also the writing is super fun and the game seems totally self-aware of what a dumb series its a part of.

That said, Raid mode is a good timesink with a lot of content and is fine for playing alone. It does get grindy though since you pretty much have to play through each level thrice on varying difficulty levels to have the necessary levels to progress. At least enemies vary between difficulties, but I still found it preetty dull after a while.

e: oh and if you want to change characters, you have to level them separately which is total garbage that wasn't in REv1 raid mode.

smuh fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 1, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Drunken Baker posted:

So does it get easier the more you level too? Like stats and weapons and stuff like that? Because I'm also utter garbage at video games and have old man thumbs.
Yeah it's rpg as hell. You can find weapons in the missions and they all have different stats and you can install parts into them of which there are also tons of different ones and they also have levels. Plus you also have different skills to give your character of choice like better evasion skill, different bombs, momentary invisibility and so on.

Most of the difficulty is in earning medals from the missions, and to get all of them you have to play through one with the recommended level, using no herbs and killing every single enemy plus two other things I think. But thankfully you can ignore the level recommendation one and just go in overleveled and you still get enough medals to unlock more missions. So it's not necessarily hard at all!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Running through RE5 again (with another player thank gently caress) and we'd never before realised just how ridiculously hidden some of the treasures are. One of them (during the oh-so-fun lantern run in the mines) is literally loving invisible until you shoot it off the ceiling!
Man I wish they'd kept these for RE6. Also the gun upgrading. And everything else that made RE5 so drat good. Wonder what kinda guy it was that decided "so uhh, RE5 is one of our best selling games of all time, let's avoid doing anything like that this time".

e: oh wait it is THE best selling Capcom game of all time, and RE6 is only half a million behind. Though that is probably just people thinking they were getting more of the same, which is why a lot of crummy sequels sell really well after a great first game.

smuh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 9, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Anonymous Robot posted:

Missing the loot and gun upgrades was the biggest loss from RE5 to RE6. It didn't have the cool feeling of a continuous adventure, and upgrading skills was a piss-poor substitute, especially because the skills are all pretty uninspired and lame.
Plus you get only 3 skills equipped at a time. Yeah l'm sure people hated feeling overpowered after 3 playthroughs, good thing they put a stop to that lame poo poo huh

And for some reason they continued to ignore weapon upgrading in both Revelations games, instead going with sticking crappy parts on guns. Which was very unsatisfying in comparison.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Backhand posted:

.... Actually...

Yeah, that did bother me a bit about RE5. It was one of my lesser complaints, but I dislike it when games can be 'brute forced' just by putting more time into them. Eventually in RE5, you become an unstoppable engine of death no matter what, just by virtue of sufficiently upgrading everything. I always felt like that devalued my individual skill level a bit. I remember being annoyed that they didn't put in some sort of 'inverse New Game Plus,' where you're either not allowed to bring your equipment over to a new playthrough or can just wipe your existing inventory.

I mean yeah, you can always just buy new, un-upgraded ones and choose not to use your existing stuff.... but, eh. Then it just feels like you have to deliberately handicap yourself if you want any semblance of challenge.
That's fair, but like you said they really could have kept everyone happy by simply having a straight up option to not do NG+ at all. Part of why RE6 just frustrates me so much is how 90% of skills are ones nobody will ever use since you'll likely just take the most useful ones with you. Plus, I absolutely want to experience the godhood of having all skills at once and break the game totally as I find that to be a great reward for playing for so many hours. Near-infinite stamina, very powerful weapons and melee, laser-accurate aiming, all shots criticals, infinite ammo for everything, etc. It would be so much fun! There would even be a reason to keep playing to unlock more skills. Oh well.

e: I will say though that RE5 is kind of TOO easy to get powerful in, and I did at least once wish there was a way to start a genuine NG without all the cash and weapons/items.

smuh fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 9, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Kibayasu posted:

Can't you just buy/find basic weapons again?
Yeah, but like Backhand up there said, you're delibirately handicapping yourself by doing that and it feels weird. Sometimes it would be nice to have a clean slate to go with. But for me that was only a problem when I wanted to play through the game in co-op with someone who'd never played it and I ended up deleting my save as a solution.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Serious Frolicking posted:

so they should avoid allowing people to get incredibly overpowered guns because others don't feel comfortable with deliberately using weaker guns? that is dumber than the "resident evil is still coasting on its reputation from 20 years ago" thing.
Well, that wasn't my opinion at least if you read my posts.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

So I just got done watching every single RE movie available and oh man oh man, this is definitely the place to throw some impressions about these trainwrecks so please enjoy some incoherent rambling while I vent:

First up, the Paul W.S. Anderson movie series. What a pile of garbage. The first movie was clearly made without a clue about the video games other than that people go into a mansion, there's a bioweapon research facility under it, also zombies. This movie begins the adventures of the biggest Mary Sue in the known universe, Alice - a person with no flaws who is just too cool for school, also too cool for acting out emotions or being a natural human being. The movie has awful special effects, cringeworthy music by someone's 16 year old nephew, and totally worthless anf wooden writing. It did have the cool laser corridor where people are cut to pieces though, which was the highlight of, well, the entire movie series. Ugh. The rest of the series is someone occasionally reminding that hey, this is based on some video game series right? And as such characters from the games - or random people with the same names - show up to make Alice look even cooler by being totally worthless. Monsters from the games show up too, like the lickers, las plagas guys, and the RE5 executioners who actually DO look like they do in the games and are kind of cool?? This is a trend in here though as the only neat parts are directly cribbed from games. They even straight up copy paste the entire Wesker-Chris-Sheva fight choreography from RE5 cutscenes in there, but somehow it manages to be super lame despite being the highlight of that specific movie. Also the protagonist, Alice, gets psychic powers, inhuman strenght and reaction time, an army of clones, and probably other nonsensical poo poo that gets erased in the beginning of the fourth movie in a hilariously blatant asspull series of events to create a clean slate. Because I guess someone thought it was a bit stupid how Umbrella was creating evil plans and bioweapons despite apocalypse having happened already and Alice being an unbelievably overpowered god-like being. Not that the nonsensical insanity would stop there though, as the fifth movie reveals that Umbrella creates underground domes with EXACT replicas of cities and runs combat simulations with infinite clones of people getting killed by BOWs. And presumably after every similation they have to rebuild the cities with their infinite amounts of money. These simulations, by the way, I believe are for the reason of showing big bad countries like the US, China and Russia what kind of cool weapons viruses make and then they sell the viruses. Despite Umbrella definitely spending mind numbingly huge amounts of money into the simulations and the clones so I wonder how many zeroes their deals must get to possibly keep them in business. Why arent they selling clone technology instead maybe? Who knows!!!!!!! Overall, these were some of the worst movies I'd ever seen and I was unable to even enjoy them in a campy kind of way. Maybe because I like the games and that coloured my perspective? Dunno.

Then the CG movies, Degeneration and Damnation. Degeneration seems like a low budget fanservice cash-grab flick thrown out there for easy videogame people money. The CG looks bad with everything having this really flat texture on it, and numerous times I was wondering why cutscenes in the latter videogames look so much more technically impressive than this. Animation is generally serviceable, but sometimes looks really akward. Characters seem to not have enough like, muscles around their mouths or something and dont really have a wide range of expressions plus their mouths apparently can't open enough to make yelling look not stupid. I'm pretty sure someone was playing a joke and told the director that Leon was a rusty robot on top of everything, as not only does he have a stick up his rear end personality-wise, he literally looks like he can not possibly even bend over in most scenes. Back completely straight, arms hanging at the sides, and walking like he was afraid of falling over and breaking into shards was bizarre as hell. It was very dull on top of everything else.

Now Resident Evil: Damnation though? Maybe because I'd been watching only these movies with nothing better in between, but wow was this really the pot of gold at the end of the sewage rainbow. CG looked great, animated very well, sound effects and music were fantastic, and it generally had a fun little side-story type thing going on with Leon going into an eastern european imaginary country to meet new friends and fight RE villains in a style very reminiscent of RE4 and its "just a day in Leon's life" type of deal. It even had humor! The last place I would expect to find bad but hilarious jokes was in an RE movie! It was filled with fanservice and that familiar over the top B-movie writing. The moment when Ada Wong fights an evil kung-fu president in the president's room that is secretly an elevator into a research facility was when I knew that yes, this movie has the essence of Resident Evil. They finally did it. They made a good RE movie and I had a blast. Thank god I left it for last because otherwise I woulda had a reeeeal bad taste in my mouth over all the rest.

Anyways, sorry for making this post, don't watch the movies and repeat my mistake. Except do watch Damnation if you're a fan of the games.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

blackguy32 posted:

No, watch the live action movies because they are bat poo poo insane.
Well, sure, they absolutely deliver on that front. I was probably in the wrong mood for them since I was expecting Resident Evil-ish things. I should also not have been sober.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Good god playing RE6 on professional again really makes the problems bloom. Getting killed by enemies that attack you in a semi-scripted event you can't avoid unless you remember its coming, getting killed by crawling zombies ALL THE TIME especially if they happen to be ones you cant shoot until they activate - at lunge range of course, getting killed because your control gets taken away for no reason in the middle of fighting enemies... I'm gonna get this plat trophy again but fuckkk this bullshit

e: look AI, if I'm standing at a door hammering the loving circle button, I expect you to sprint to the door. I do NOT expect you to walk at a leisurely pace, start punching enemies that you've already walked past, or literally walk two full circles in place - and then yell at me about how you know what you're doing. Why AI, why do you have such disgust and malice toward this journey of ours.

smuh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 11, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Convex posted:

The RE5 death animations were a real letdown after 4. Especially the lack of decapitations, which made chainsaw deaths look pretty stupid.
I remember only the original gamecube version of RE4 being uncensored decapitation wise, at least every version I played since just panned the camera away.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

I saw quite a few death animations in 6 while going through professional, but they were all kinda... strangely unsatisfying? Like the two deaths everyone remembers from 4 are Leon getting his head lopped off and the one where his god drat face melts to the bone. They were brutal as poo poo and he really gets mutilated in a really shocking fashion. While in 6, I got a chainsaw rocked through my chest for a good 5 seconds, got pinned to the wall with a giant drill, even had an enemy vomit into my face where seconds later another creature emerged from - some radical poo poo right? In theory yeah, but the character models don't actually ever have any visible damage to them. No blood on their clothes, no dismemberment or disfiguring, nothing. Like you were playing with action figures or something. I dunno, each time I got really hyped for a cool death and then just went 'oh, thats it huh'.

Wishing for horrific violence on player characters makes me feel weird by the way

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Mortimer posted:

hi I'm a guy who got a gamecube at launch and never played RE4 until now and it's spooking my guts off

I don't know if I like being scared because I don't like horror games but wowee this game must have been incredible a decade ago because it's still really good now
Ya know, this is the thread to post ongoing impressions of the game if you want

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Huh, that ESRB thing is also the first time we've heard about the gist of the storyline right? I'm glad the area we'll be exploring is that

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Mogomra posted:

So what was the other trailer we saw? Another demo? I mean, it sounds cool I guess. But I'm skeptical as poo poo right now.
It was a 'videotape level' which I'd guess are ones that are just random people in random places trying to survive. I wouldn't be surprised if they focused most of the horror parts into those and the main game was more action-heavy.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Pureauthor posted:

Do we know who we're playing as in RE7?
Yea ESRB spoiled it, some guy named Ethan who's looking for his wife. Spoiler tagged if someone doesn't want to find out the premise I guess.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Filthy Hans posted:

Is the auto QTE setting broken in RE6 on PS4? I have it activated, but in the Jake campaign on professional that part where you have to open 3 doors with the spinning QTE is impossible for me, I've tried it a dozen times and I'm just not fast enough. I thought enabling auto assist would prevent this, so what gives?
The QTE assist is really strangely picky about what events it makes easier. That Jake part is one where it does not help at all, despite it being the absolute hardest QTE sequence in the game on Professional. You just gotta spin better? It loving sucks and made me mad when going through

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

why does the handgun set include a condom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

hangovers are the worst

Is that a straight up zombie on the right?