Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Slant Six aren't really former devs of Socom. They were commissioned to make Socom: Confrontation (which is awful) and some portable Socom games while Zipper pushed out MAG. Frankly, I feel bad for the RE fans looking forward to Raccoon City. I hope it's good, but I seriously doubt it. I think y'all be lucky if that game even runs on day 1.

Since I'm already bitching, Paul Anderson (RE movie director) has not once directed a decent movie. gently caress him, and his ugly rear end wife. She can't act, and he can't direct. It's a combo from hell. With that said, nicely put together thread :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

The "reviewers" who give CoD, 10/10! Revolutionary! GOTY every year say RE6 is bad? It must be doing something right then. Sounds like a great game. Definite buy. Aren't these the same clowns who said RE5 was great and Dragon Age 2 was enjoyable?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Vastakaiun posted:

You're really grasping at straws here seeing how most of those reviewers giving RE6 the worst scores haven't even reviewed CoD.
Gamespot MW3- 8.5 BO- 9.0
Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 8/10

Gamespot gave RE5 an 8.5 (co-op adds tension they said), then RE6 a 4.5. This isn't a matter of opinion. If you believe RE5 is better than 6, you're so wrong I can't think of a word strong enough for it. It's like saying Invisible War is better than the original Deus Ex. They're outright wrong and whoever gave 'em their job needs to be exiled to an overly deadly island.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question; I'm aware it's a heavy spoiler but I have to know about Ada's campaign.

I keep hearing "oh man wait till you see her campaign it's scary as gently caress and gruesome!!" Thing is, I'm a easily disturbed person and grossed out super easily... is it really that bad?
I'm on Chapter 3 of Jake's campaign so I can't say exactly, but there is a bigger variety of body horror and grotesque moments. It's very much akin to Dead Space, in that when you die, you watch your death. I've fallen into a meat grinder, lava, drowned, had a zombie implant an egg in my face, people turn into cocoons that give birth to B.O.W.s, etc.

I love what they did with the campaigns, in that Leon's has the old fashion slowish (think RE4 walkers) zombies, while Chris is against mercenaries who shoot, melee, take cover and mutate. It never becomes a cover based shooter, but it has just enough variation to not become tedious. Which is important since there's so much playtime. I might be alone in this, but I really like Jake's character and how they fleshed him out. I don't give a poo poo about the overall plot of Resident Evil, it's pretty stupid to be blunt, but it's refreshing to see an anti-hero with realistic motivations and reasoning behind those motives. Helena's reasons for sticking with Leon feel forced and cheap, while Jake-Sherry and Chris-Piers make sense. The theme has gone from impending dread and isolation, to generic save the world us vs them. The genre change does a great job of showcasing that (Chris' campaign features NPC teammates here and there along with the character's increased capability).

It's a tense game, but definitely not scary. More Alan Wake than Fatal Frame. Which I love (hate horror games), but to each their own.

e: Oh, and the QTE's are nowhere near as bad as Sterling claims. There's two I can think of that require timing, and the rest are tap A and roll the joystick but nothing like Mario Party infamy. It's hard as gently caress to lose at the QTE's and the vast majority are not instant death.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 1, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Wanderer posted:

The alternate costumes, incidentally, are:

Leon: Full pirate regalia complete with a stuffed raven glued to his right shoulder.
Helena: She's fully dressed, but she looks like a stripper in a cop uniform at the start of her routine.
Chris: A half-naked samurai outfit.
Piers: A car-racing one-piece covered in logos, including Capcom, Biohazard, and the Stagla gas station logo from RE2.
Jake: A big puffy-sleeved jacket and sunglasses, which makes him look kind of like he's standing in the background in a rap video.
Sherry: Her old school uniform from RE2, which doesn't fit anymore.
Ada: A white cheongsam with a white flower in her hair.

No black characters with bows in tribal African wear? Maybe a designer was let go?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Alteisen posted:

You don't need to defense your purchase to anyone dude, if you like it then that's all that matters.
I bought Chromehounds. I defend nothing :colbert:

Vastakaiun posted:

When I said reviewers, I meant reviewers, not sites and publications they're released in. Gamespot isn't some singular being that thinks that the latest CoD is better than the latest RE. Getting angry at a site because one of their writers likes Black Ops and another one doesn't like Resident Evil 6 strikes me as just a bit silly.
Apologies, I assumed these sites had a publication-wide criteria of some sort. A set of standards if you will. Not mad, perplexed why anyone would read reviews as there's rarely been a game I can watch five minutes of gameplay and not know if I'll enjoy it. Even if that were to occur, I rather take a chance and buy it cheap than trust the perspective of a man who jokes about masturbating when he's right. But poo poo, I don't know. People watch Pewdiepie, pay for Transformers and like RE5. I'm obviously the outlier.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 1, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

Oh, I love the guy and he's certainly cool, but as far as personality goes he's really corny. Saying things like "your right hand comes off?" make it seem like he watched a bunch of action movies right before the mission and that makes his utterly ridiculous actions the result of it too. He's an action movie star that wants to be an action movie star.
That's why I love him so much. :(
His quips are the kind of stupid humor I enjoy, intentional or not. I certainly don't take him seriously, but I found myself rooting for him when stabbing fuckers in RE4. He's also a nice contrasting character to the rest of the (horrible) RE cast.

e: Plus it's refreshing to play a tense game where the protagonist isn't "oh my gawd a monster!" all the time. I don't like horror games, too scary. :ohdear:

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 2, 2012

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There's a line in Damnation that suggests he has at some point. The screenwriter is on one of the Blu-Ray extras backing it up.
If Damnation worth a watch? I'm not really into the series but I love Leon and heard it's pretty good. I thought the first CG RE movie was poo poo though, so...is it anything like that?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Tremors posted:

Just finished Chris' chapter 4. Watching Ada die was some catharsis on the level of killing Kai Leng in ME3. Unless the game pulls a plot twist and it turns out she was a clone or something. :v:
Well...funny story...

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Only played the first chapter, but Ada's campaign sucks so far. QTEs up the rear end, and if you don't find those ladders quick enough, oh no! Who thought this was good game design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

bat duck posted:

How is stealth gonna help me get past something that covers a whole corridor? I can't shoot them or get past them.
Melee them in the back, or shoot them then hide. They stay dead.