Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Policenaut posted:

Hey, check it out. Trophy list for RE: The Umbrella Chronicles HD
That was a really fun game, I've been tempted to buy those Cabella guns and replay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

blackguy32 posted:

I always found the whole "on-disc" arguments to be rather weak because what people are essentially saying is that as long as the developers don't put it on the disc then its ok.
It's insulting to most people to find out the DLC they're going to be buying a month after that game is already on the disc and you're paying an additional fee, beyond the cost of the game, to play something that is already on your disc.

At least if it isn't on the disc, there's an illusion that it wasn't finished before it was shipped out.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Trico posted:

Aww, they're doing away with the lasers? I loved that poo poo about RE.

I guess that means the camera will move where you aim instead of staying stationary while you aim your gun.
Maybe the laser pointer is a perk on certain guns? I'd be fine with that, because I really love those kinds of guns. Especially the ones that are also flashlights.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I played Resident Evil 5 completely through twice with my brother, who is probably just as bad as the Sheva AI (We got 10 deaths one chapter because of the crocodiles), but I had a complete blast. It's one of my favorite games because of that.

If RE6 plays similarly, I'll probably have just as much fun.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Like I said, my brother might have died more than any AI ever would, and he was stupidly misleading, like saying that shooting Jill in that fight would kill her, which made us spend two hours on that stupid fight.

Anyway, ORC is getting some awful reviews, but is it worth a rent? Could I have a ton of fun with it in multi-player?

I'm also going to pick up Revolations for the 3DS. Looks like really good reviews, but how long is the game and how good is the replay value vs Resident Evil 4/5?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Bonaventure posted:

You really can't understand how playing with another human being whom you presumably like and are talking to in the same room as you is inherently different from and going to be a better experience than dealing with some lovely AI robot, no matter how lovely the dude on the couch is at the game?
I beat Resident Evil 5 three times and not once did I ever use the AI VV

By the end of our first playthrough and our Professional playthrough, I certainly didn't like him though!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Capcom is infuriatingly frustrating when it comes to stuff like that. I've got to buy another Capcom game to get a demo, or wait 60 days to play it with everyone else.

That's not cool.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I played ORC and after the first boss kept completely breaking on me, restricting me to a tiny area with no instruction, and finally glitching through walls and then being forced back across the map because I'd ended up behind the monster, when I wasn't I quit.

Fighting enemies isn't that fun either, since they've completely loss the nice balance between Gears of War bullet sponge, but manageable and a regular Resident Evil enemy. They're just gigantic bullet sponges that take minutes to kill for no reason.

Did not have a good time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I played the demo!

Leon's story is about as fun to play as the walking scenes in the Gears of War franchise. That is to say, it's a bunch of boring talking and slow walking. Bullets are limited to a single clip.

Jake's story is like playing Bourne Identity with giant hulk-zombies. I had the most fun in this campaign and Sherry seems like a fun character, it's awesome to see her grown up and become a kung-fu master.

Chris' story is Gears of War. Lots of action, lots of bullets, lots explosions.

I don't like the way the camera controls. Instead of the RE4 & 5 controls where it was over the shoulder and you could only see the direction right in front of you with a bit up the sides, the camera rotates a full 360 degrees. This creates a problem when in the "Free Run" mode where controlling someone that's running is very, very clunky. I'd prefer the 4 & 5 controls.

I think I had more fun in 4 and 5 than I did throughout the 6 demos, but I'm really interested in Jake's story right now, it looks like an awesome modern spy movie.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Does anyone also feel that Leon's character has changed so much since RE2 & 4? There's not much to say moving from 2 into 4, he's essential the same person. But in 6 it looks like he's really become anxious and sensitive to everything around him. Whereas Chris just sees all this crazy stuff happening around him and just deadpans all of it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Leon's entire campaign looks like the slow-moving, walking parts of Gears of War

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I noticed a really nice touch with some of the zombies in Leon's scenario. If you see the ones with knives or axes in their body, you can perform a special execution where you take the knife out of them and kill them with it.

The other thing I noticed is how little that zombies react to your gunfire. I'm not sure if it's because they're actually zombies, as opposed to the hybrids of 4 & 5, or it's just the programming that's off. Shooting them in the legs isn't as viable as it use to be.

And the final thing that bugged me was seeing all these zombies around that are obviously going to jump back on you when you're making your way back through the room. You would think that Leon would have the sense to just pop them in the head while passing them just to make sure, you know, after dealing with zombies for over 10 years.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Honest Thief posted:

The camera needs some serious working, when you get it to work like RE4/5 camera its great, when its like in the Leon demo where its doing its own thing is suuuuuuucks.
I'm gonna guess Leon's campaign is going to be worse, Chris and Jake's seem to take advantage of the new controls and melee options; which are awesome.
I prefer the camera on RE4 over anything. I don't need to spin the camera around 360 degrees.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Spermando posted:

This is going to be the most polarizing RE. The game does have its fair share of flaws and seems to be a textbook example of design by committee, but I get the feeling most of the negative reviews will be based on the opinion that it doesn't feel like RE anymore.
If that were the case, 4 would have gotten terrible reviews too. There were hardly anything that resembled zombies in that game. No giant labyrinths to explore and get completely lost in, and no frustrating puzzles.

I'm not sure what direction they're thinking 6 is going to take them, it's like a poorly thought out Gears of War clone (Which, by the way was a Resident Evil 4 clone)

In my opinion the game would be leagues better if they cameras worked exactly the same way as they did in 4. I like using melee, but this game makes it so incredibly easy to hit everything to death without firing your gun. If it wants to be like Gears of War, it's really lacking that balance between using your gun and having satisfying melee interactions.

I'm imagining Resident Evil 6 using GoW's execute system and it sounds so much more fun the the strange, sometimes shoddy melee system in 6.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

RE 5 moved copies because it was the sequel to RE 4, it was in development for a long time creating increased anticipation, the return of Chris Redfield (and possible conclusion of the story started in RE 1), and the first HD Resident Evil. Plain and Simple.

It didn't hurt that it was a co-op shooter coming hot off the heels of Gears of War either.

Theres a reason sales dropped with RE 6 (NEWS FLASH: Its because RE 5 wasn't that good)
Resident Evil 5 still played enough like RE4 and it was successful (But not as successful) but RE6 played nothing like RE4 or 5 and it sucked.

Resident Evil 4 didn't ruin anything, they just hosed up the style in 6. RE7 looks like it's going to be almost like PT which I don't mind one bit

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Nobodies thought about how much stress would go into these guys after so long of dealing with the apocolypse so maybe RE7 is the slow decent into insanity as they've been forced to kill their friends, neighbors, children, parasitic spaniards and africans, and giant bug fucks. Who cares though, if it's good I'll buy it. If it's anything like 6 I won't.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I've gotta quick question about Revelations/2 on the Switch if anyone's picked it up yet. What's the multiplayer coop like? Is it split-screen? And is it easy to use?

My friend and I just beat Resident Evil 5 split-screen after 3 years of struggling and we're looking for the next challenge.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Resident Evil 4 is a perfect single player experience
Resident Evil 5 is a near-perfect coop experience (Except the Gigante/on the rails chapter where none of the health/weapons you collected matter)
Resident Evil 6 belongs in another series entirely, it's so much worse than 4/5/7
Resident Evil 7 is the perfect blend between 4 and the original 3 games despite it relying so heavily on the success of the P.T. demo

5 is still the worst single player experience out of those four though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

man nurse posted:

Imagine thinking Resident Evil 4 wasn't one of the best and most influential titles ever released.
It literally created a whole genre

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

sponges posted:

Is Operation Raccoon City worth the $6 it currently costs on Steam?
It was supposed to be a fun multiplayer game but it's so buggy it's hard to enjoy

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

sponges posted:

Has anyone played SH 1 recently? Wondering if it holds up
My friend and I started playing RE1 and SH1 at the same time in the past two weeks, just trading off when either of us died or needed a break, Silent Hill has a slightly better control scheme but has much harder combat/puzzles.

Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Dino Crisis/Parasite Eve are all pretty similar

The first Silent Hill is more unsettling, imo. Lots less ammo, a lot more enemies, the soundtrack is creepier. It's still janky graphics but it's still a good game.

There's a lot more emphasis on story and "Survival" in Silent Hill 1-3

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

SH2 is the real deal, SH1 is good but I think the second game had much more of an impact.
It might be difficult to try SH1 today, as with all PS1 games it has aged like milk.
The good thing about this genre is as awful as these stories are there's a half-dozen games in the genre that are still fun to play. Silent Hill 3 is arguably the best in the "Tank control" genre but there's also Fatal Frame 2 and Resident Evil 2 and 3 which are just as great. Then there's Dino Crisis which is Resident Evil, but Dinosaurs, and Parasite Eve, which is Resident Evil but a girl is the main character. Fatal Frame is Resident Evil but spooky ghosts and Silent Hill is Resident Evil, except foggy nightmare

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Kibayasu posted:

You might be thinking of Parasite Eve 2 as similar to RE because the only thing similar in 1 is that you run through levels with pre-rendered backgrounds. It’s a straight up RPG with time meter battles, just you control your positioning.

Dino Crisis is a hell of a good RE clone though, even today. Way better than classic RE’s in all but setting and enemy variety (though I could see the supporting characters being a love ‘em or hate ‘em thing). Unless you know exactly what to do it can actually start to feel like the survival in survival-horror means something.
Parasite Eve is "Final Fantasy tries to do Resident Evil"
Dino Crisis is a lot of fun, but the backtracking is probably the worst in any tank-control game in the genre.

Fatal Frame is super different too. It's still third-person tank controls and puzzle solving but the combat is first-person although still just as awkward and high tension

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Revelations 1/2 on the Switch are $14 each making it cheaper than the full game in package (Which apparently only includes a physical copy of 1 anyway and you need to download the second one)

What am I in for with these two games, and are they good multiplayer games?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the re movies are mila jovovich movies first and foremost, but they occasionally feature some stuff from re games.
I was very into the music when they made those movies and they were the baddest rear end movies I watched when I was an edgy teenager at 12 or 13, but I've watched them all recently again and they're just funny cheesy action movies, so if you come in with the intention of watching a Die Hard parody, they're still fun.

Just like the Underworld movies, if you don't take them seriously at all and recognize the film directors are/were married to the main actresses and writing their wives to be badass supernatural juggernauts they're really great popcorn flicks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Those movies were like ‘Resident Evil: The Fanfic: The Movie (OC do not steal)’

Oh hey, that hulking unstoppable monster following you through the entirety of RE3? My wife bests it in a fist fight.
hey I've seen people doing knife runs in RE3, that's a lot more impressive than just punching him in the face.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Raxivace posted:

Tbh that does seem like maybe the funnest marriage ever. Its also very sweet in its own way.
I remember seeing the behind the scenes for Underworld Evolution and how awkward it was for werewolf man to have a sex scene while Beckinsale's husband was on set and it getting a little too "intense"

They also talked about digitally removing his boner and her nipples. It was weird.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I played RE1 recently and accidentally got the best ending my first run though, Hunters are a PAIN especially if they jump behind you, and double-so when they're invincible flying through the air making you waste ammo.

On my Claire playthrough which was second, I got cocky because I had so much ammo and by the time I was finishing up the lab, no ammo or herbs at all :')

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ghosts. Ghosts are what's missing from RE4.
That weird beta version of Resident Evil 4 is still floating around where they decided that they'd do ghosts instead of zombies. I think all that came of it in the final version were when knight armors were infected by Las Plagas in the Castle area, and a short subsection of the castle where you played as Ashley trying to avoid them with no way to attack back. It was like half Resident Evil and half Fatal Frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kwX0LZAc

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did the Beta idea with the ghosts/hookman eventually get reworked into Evil Within? Or is that just ‘being a Shinji Mikami project’?
Don't know if it was directly, but he had a lot of broad ideas for a lot of different types of games so I can see him reusing early RE4 for The Evil Within. Either way, he still inspired a whole genre on his own and at his peak, he had a lot of really cool ideas for games.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

WaltherFeng posted:

I started RE7 on Madhouse again because I like to suffer. Already died maybe 10 times before the basement.

I just like how brutal the game is on this difficulty. I hope Remake 2 has a similar mode.
The hardest part of any RE game I've ever played was just beating the Giant in 5 with the turrets. Can't decide if I was just really bad at it or it was just frustratingly hard in an otherwise easy game. If 7's madhouse is legitimately difficult without being stupidly hard for no reason I should have fun

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Policenaut posted:

Capcom is selling a bluetooth mechanical keyboard modeled after Resident Evil 2's save typewriter. It'll set you back a cool $750 but you can get a great deal and buy the bundle that comes with the game for the low low price of $900 USD + tax! It's really a work of art though so at least take a gander at it.
Is this is like the RE4 Chainsaw controller that was the most uncomfortable thing in the world to use but had such a high novelty to it?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I don't really care about the story beats, I'm just more concerned about how different the mechanics have been between 4/5, 6, and 7 that this game is fun to play. 4 and 7 were so much fun single player and 5 and 6 were ONLY fun if you played in couch coop settings. I haven't been up to date so I don't know if they're using the 7 engine or not, but I don't think it translate well to RE2.

Side-note, I've played 1-3, Code Veronica, and Revelations 1 + 2 this year and the only game I've played multiple times is 1, I've beaten it 6 times this year and I still want to play it more. I need to get on REMake because I haven't even touched it yet. I played the poo poo out of 4 and 5, and I think the original vanilla version of RE1 is my second favorite RE experience.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I played the E3 demo at SDCC, and it feels good. It uses the same engine as RE7 and the inventory and health management are the same, but the actual third person gameplay reminded me a lot of RE4, with the addition of being able to move while aiming. It was only a brief demo (And you can look it up on YouTube to get the gist of it), but there's no doubt in my mind this is going to be the best game in the series since 4.
Being the best in the series since 4 has a hell of a lot of hype to live up to since it was basically one of the top 5 games of that decade.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Panzeh posted:

Hot take, i thought 5 was better than 4 for the most part, even as a solo game.

But 2 remake looks amazing.
I had so much more fun playing 5 coop than 4 solo, outside of the dumb rear end on the rails shooter part into Gigante boss and the confusing and unintuitive Wesker mechanics in all 3 fights, but the narrative, flow and setting in 4 is hands down the best complete single player experiences in a game I've ever experienced.

I'd still put 4 way above 5 just because the reasons I mentioned above were so stupid and frustrating for no reason. I can do a knife-only run in RE4 but I can't for the life of me beat Wesker or the on-rail shooter parts of RE5 easily.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

The AI in 5 was absolutely stupid because if they had somehow picked up a first aid spray they'd use it immediately after taking .5 points of damage. Playing with friends in 5 and 6 is just so much more fun

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Amppelix when you get to the lake make sure you go up on the dock and shoot at the fish in the water until you get the cutscene if you haven't yet. It makes the fight a lot easier

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Like I've said before, 5 is the better couch co-op experience and RE4 is the better single player experience. Because I'm kinda social I put way more hours into 5 but I could probably still play 4 with only a knife. The first time I played 4, I was 16 or 17 and hadn't played any horror games before. I somehow skipped BOTH Salvador encounters in the village and was coming out of Cheif Mendez's small mansion before I saw the first one. I had zoomed in on him and was scared shitless, expended my whole inventory of ammo and grenades on panic and couldn't beat him because I was too shaken up to aim properly for anything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

I'm literally staring at a copy of Tips & Tricks with Resident Evil 2 on the cover and really missing that kind of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

This game probably would have been received a lot better if it came out before RE2's remake. It's a whole lot of fun but there's more missing than improved on, and it really does feel more like a $40 expansion than a $60 stand-alone game.

Finished up my Hard run first because I figured I'd have to unlock the other difficulties anyway to get all the achievements and then did a sub 2 hour Assisted mode just to knock out the couple documents and bobbleheads I was missing. I hope there's some DLC for the game, it feels incomplete without a dozen costumes to pick between doing additional runs for S ranks.

The one thing I DO think they improved was the Store Shop/Unlockables. After two runs I could afford a whole lot of the shop and there's a ton of really useful stuff in there for harder difficulties (Extra hip pouches and the Lock-pick/Bolt Cutters, upgraded knife, coins & easier dodges). I haven't spent any money yet and I know I can't afford to buy more than a couple for Hardcore difficulty and I'm actually having to think about what would be most useful to make the run easier OR should I just save all the points, get one of the Infinite weapons, and then just zoom through the game and unlock everything else like in RE2 when the paid DLC for Infinite weapons came out. Sure, rushing through RE2 with the infinite rocket launcher made it trivial to unlock S ranks and all the other additional clear conditions brainless but sometimes running through the Police Dept like a Juggernaut was a lot of fun itself.