Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've got a technical question in regards to RE2make, Resident Evil 7 and probably other games running on that engine: does anyone else have an Nvidia card and issues with the graphics looking really over-bright and washed-out when using sRGB mode? In addition, there is this strange graphical noise that looks a bit like TV static, but smaller and in the color of the the background - it's particularly visible on flat colors. Whatever the problem is, it makes everything look noticeably lighter than it really should be, with what almost looks like a greyish-colored half-transparent overlay over the graphics proper. Imagine turning down contrast and turning up brightness on a game, but not the actual gamma setting. That's basically what it's like.

I can't figure out where it's coming from and it's driving me kind of nuts. The game looks fine under BT 709 or whatever it's called, it's noticeably darker and probably how everything ought to appear - but I'm not using a bloody expensive graphics card and a full-range monitor to play on a restricted color range, so I'd rather resolve the issue properly before I buy DMC 5 and find it doing the same thing. My system is fully updated and using not quite the newest graphics drivers, but still pretty new ones. A lot newer than RE7, anyway, so I don't think it's a driver issue, but I really have no idea because I'm also getting that issue where the Sparkshot will make the game hitch and stop for half a second with every flash, so clearly something is awry there.

Is this a known issue? If so, does anyone have an idea on how to solve it in any way other than changing the color range? There has to be something else wrong with my settings that I ought to be able to fix somehow, either with my graphics card or the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh wow, I didn't think I'd have to turn it down that hard, so I never even tried. Yeah, that actually looks right, now. Also, I feel kind of like a doofus for never even noticing the film noise setting that I would swear didn't exist until I looked just now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I just figured it was a visual glitch that came from the same source.

You wouldn't have any idea what could be causing the Sparkshot thing, too? I've been having a similar issue in Monster Hunter World, which makes me think it might be a misconfiguration of graphics card on some level, but I can't imagine how one particular kind of bright light makes it freak out when no other effect in the entire game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

They come to the conclusion that the game is constantly color correcting from scene to scene
I agree about the BT whatever settings, they're just unpleasantly drab. Also, the engine absolutely does that, you can even watch it happen when you do things like step through the door from the attic with the medal into the library, for example. The color of the light adjusts visibly.

I could swear it does a lot more than that, even. I have this really interesting effect where that particular transition will result in the floorboards of the library looking like the water-covered streets do - it dials up the reflection setting in a way that makes them look distinctly wet, like there are puddles on the ground. It's kind of fascinating to watch them slowly turn back to regular glossiness, actually. I never would have guessed that internally, "wetness" visuals are just different values applied to regular surface reflection shaders.

quote:

Also, update your drivers to the newest version; it couldn't hurt.
I'll give it a shot later. I've been leery about this since MHW is such a technical mess and I was glad to just get it running stable at all, but I don't really play the game anymore anyway.

quote:

I'm curious if you have any monitoring software that may show a CPU or GPU utilization spike when the performance drops?
I do, actually, that's a good idea and I tried that right now. Seems like that's a resounding "no." There are no visible spikes at all, or at least nothing that I could read as being a viable reason for lag spikes that last only a fraction of a second each. I'm barely hitting 50% usage on either end which makes sense, since I'm running a quadcore/1070 Ti combo that really isn't remotely hitting its limits with an engine this well-optimized.

It's not like the actual framerate drops, either. The game just... stops, for varying lengths of time seemingly dependent on the size of the flash visual itself.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 12, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I think the spark shot performance issue is almost definitely a glitch with the game, given how widespread it seems to be on all sorts of systems.
Yeah, I checked up on Google and the Steam forums about it a while ago and it seems to hit a lot of people for no clear reason. What I just can't figure out is why it would happen in two completely different games, with completely unrelated engines, during what is definitely the same kind of "camera/electric flash" visual effect, but which doesn't really seem all that special in any other way. It doesn't happen for flashbangs, for example.

quote:

It would be weird to assign the different surfaces different material values while the color correction happened.
I'm getting the impression that shaders, lighting and other settings are grouped together as "scenes" of sorts, so the game always changes the complete bundle of values whenever you transition between locations - it would make sense to do this because many areas just do not have reflective surfaces of that type, it's fairly rare. I might be mistaken, but I actually do not think there are any areas with wet surfaces that also also have glossy floor textures of that type, so they simply set it up to never do both at once. I would guess that it only happens in that particular transition because the attic area has a window to the outside, where the wetness shaders would naturally need to be applied, while the library is one of the few rooms that are completely closed off and also have reflective floors.

quote:

Sudden frame spikes can be a common problem with DX12 implementation, maybe change the rendering mode to 11 and see if there’s any improvement?
No, that definitely can't be it. I already had to force DX11 behaviour by config file because I was getting the black screen bug in certain places and this is the only thing that helped at all. It's also set to DX11 in the menu, though. Somewhat surprisingly, this actually made average performance worse for me - I started getting occasional little stutters that weren't there before.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 12, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I keep going back to it even though I don't even care about completing playthroughs at all anymore, simply because blasting slow, moaning, proper zombies limb-from-limb with a variety of weapons is just actual fun gameplay entirely on its own merits, never even mind the rest of the game. I've been making a challenge of trying to leave as many as possible completely limbless zombies flopping on the ground at once, without accidentally killing the little ankle-biters when I flee from Mr. X or need to take out a Licker. I don't think they ever despawn and if you don't board up any of the windows it can get kind of silly in the later chapters, because some hallways get so tightly packed near the doors that you can't even see the floor anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

intensely problematic "native tribesman" enemy levels
Which are doubly stupid because there's literally a file in the game where a prospective 'native tribesman' goes "our people didn't even historically dress like this, or anything remotely like it. What the gently caress is up with those grass skirts and how did everyone here catch Rudyard Kipling Disease all at once."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

Even the original Re3 realized this. You have to shake Nemesis, what, 6 times, plus a trio of arena fights? RPD x2, After meeting Carlos, While backtracking for the trolly, While going to the trolly with everything you need, After the Carlos section. The vbast majority of your time is spent dealing with non-Nemesis things.
And it gives you insta-kill cutscene choices for at least half of those, at that. Nemesis is memorable, but not exactly a particularly large part of the gameplay.

quote:

I'd argue that the player deals with Nemesis less than they do with Mr. X in REmake2.
I'd say you deal with Nemesis less than with even the Mr. X from the original, even considering that he only shows up in the B route at all. There are nine possible Mr. X encounters in RE2 versus twelve for the Nemesis in RE3, but you get the option to ignore all but five of them completely. They're optional content to the point where skipping them even gives you the Hard Mode rewards for the encounter - if you do so, the game basically treats it as if you had fought and defeated Nemesis there instead of fleeing. In practical terms, he's really barely even there at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm just sad that "what is up with that guy, that was a clean hit" didn't make it in again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Commissar Canuck posted:

Quick question: can you unlock multiple guns in a single run? Like if I get a S rank on hardcore does it unlock the pistol as well?
I know I got the infinite rocket launcher and the infinite SMG at once, so I think so - those technically have different requirements, but I got them as a package deal anyway. Not sure this would work for the Samurai Edge because that one is explicitly rewarded for S-ranking normal, while you get the others for S-ranking hardcore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is anyone else kind of amazed that Annette Birkin actually isn't voiced by the same person in both versions of the game? I got curious about this and listened to them side-by-side and it's actually incredibly similar. The kind of detail they paid attention to in this remake is really kind of amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I did think about this for a while but handwaved it away as coincidence given the 20 year gap. But holy poo poo her tone and mannerism is close.
Definitely not the same person (I checked) but yeah, they could be younger and older sister for how incredibly similar they sound. I don't even know if that's a coincidence or someone actively set out to make their voice as close to each other as possible, but if they did, they did the most bang-up job of it I've ever seen.

With how detail-oriented this game is in every other regard, I'm not entirely willing to discount the possibility.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Karen Strassman is actually a returning voice for the series. I think most of the actors in RE2Make are no-names because of the voice actor's strike or something? That they'd be more able to plan around her specifically because they already knew how she sounded on tape would make sense.

But yeah, fair point.

quote:

The mo-cap/facial animation also managed to look real without hitting "Uncanny Valley", which quite frankly is a scary deal in itself.
Leon sometimes looks weirdly Asian, but otherwise, yeah, definitely. It's hard to remember that you aren't watching a movie during some of the cutscenes. It's still early, but I think in that particular niche at least, it'll turn out to be one of the most visually impressive games of the year.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

Claire's VA/Motion capture actress said in an interview that she was familiar with RE2, she even replayed it after she was cast to refamiliarize herself with the role. It's not inconcievable that Annette's actress did something similar and deliberately copied her tone/inflections.
Good point. That would make sense especially since it wasn't her first role in a Resident Evil game, if the first major one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's a comment I hear a lot. I'm really not in favour of anything that fucks over unions in general (because, you know, gently caress corporations, we need any help against them that we can get), but in this case, it really made for something that feels a lot more fresh than yet another example of Yuri Lowenthal doing the [x] voice or whatever.

Although I think Ada came across kinda weak. One out of an entire cast ain't bad, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I kinda liked new Ada, I thought she handled the kind of pissed-off-flirtatious banter with Leon pretty well.
It's a problem that I think comes and goes. The voice acting it fine during the more action-heavy sequences, but at many other times, she sounds is almost monotonous. I think I get where it's coming from, trying to make it appear as if she's trying to sound distanced and professional... but really, nobody should be able to say something like "Secret weapon time!" and give the impression of being almost bored doing it. Especially not someone who thinks that a slinky Chinese dress is an appropriate outfit for infiltrating a city full of the living dead, you know what I mean?

I guess it stands out to me especially because you're going to be comparing her to Leon, who just puts so much feeling and intensity into every single thing he says. This is really the biggest quibble I have with the voice acting in this game, though, and it's not a very big one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

She does sound like either that or like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, almost randomly sometimes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fun fact about those zombies, by the way: if you shoot them even once, they'll run off. They just turn around and bugger off and away to off-screen. I have no idea where they go, but once they run, you never see them again. Only zombies in the game that do this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dewgy posted:

The window smashers in the west hallway 1F do this too!
Oh yeah, they do. You can just see it particularly well with the fence zombies because they'll just stand there forever and do nothing until you shoot, while I think the window grabbers walk off after a while.

It's the weirdest behaviour and I really wonder what quirk in the zombie AI causes that. They all take the exact same route, too. You can set them up to shuffle off-screen all in a row like a gaggle of zombie ducklings. It's almost like it's pre-programmed, but I have no idea why you'd bother setting them up for a behaviour like that.

Oxxidation posted:

during the fight with G4 she sounded ready to pull the poor sod apart with her bare hands
Personally, I'm really fine with either, because Claire is hardcore and that is what she does. It would've been nice if her mental state had been presented a bit more consistently during the regular playthrough, though. As is, it's a bit like seeing Leon pull out his late game action hero one liners at the beginning of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Makes total sense by an orphan raised by Chris Redfield.
Yeah, say what you want, but they do a really good job of making Claire come across as exactly the kind of girl who'd travel halfway across the country with nothing but a revolver, a motorbike and a pair of really tight pants to find her missing brother. And if that includes cage matches with giant virus monsters and hordes of zombies, then so be it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wonder if the devs included it as a way to be friendly to players so they don't waste ammo on Zombies that won't ever cause them any issues.
Would be a weird way to be friendly to players compared to just having them fall over in one hit or something like that, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a lot of them, though. So rather than one-shotting numerous zombs, you just fire one shot and they all go for a walk together
Oh, I get where the confusion comes from. No, you misunderstood that. You have to shoot every single one of them separately, at least for the ones at the fence. That is how you can set up things like the duckling row. Any you miss just... stick around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which is kind of a shame, because Moira was actually pretty funny. "Ugh, did Barry tell everyone that story?"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh I got ya. That does seem more like an AI quirk. Maybe it has something to do with their path finding? LIke, they aren't activated until you shoot them, and then they go looking for a path to get to you, but the only path is a road to nowhere?
Yeah, it would make sense if it was something like that. It's not like they're really walking off to nowhere, it's the area you start in when you're playing a B-route. If it's anything, it's a pathfinding bug - it's just a very weird one. They'll all follow the same route exactly, just made me wonder what in the world might be up with that particular trio of zombies, or maybe the area they're in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I just got this last night and haven't gotten far, and I know what a wimpy question this is, but: The zombies and gore and all I can easily handle, but if I recall correctly, there were spiders at some point in the original, weren't there? ...Do I have that to look forward to? Cause I'm not particularly thrilled about the prospect.
You're not the only person in the world with arachnophobia, so don't feel bad about it. But yeah, like Crowetron said, spiders are completely gone.

A kind of wish they had kept in the crows, though. They don't actually do much, but I always thought they really added a lot to the atmosphere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I love that one. Every time I step in there, I forget to expect it, and every time I hear the "caw. CAW!" and just go "oh poo poo" to myself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just figured they got it there the same way they ever get into any buildings they really have business being in. Virus magic!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a pity they didn't put crows in the remake. Like, not even as enemies necessarily, just having them around for ambiance would've been nice.
Yeah, I actually said the same thing just a post upthread from that. The crows were never threatening, but they did so much for atmosphere that it's really a total shame to lose them. I think they're one of the few enemies that are actually in every main series game until seven. Not even zombies can say that about themselves, because they were replaced by the Ganados in Four.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Moire and Claire are really cut from the same cloth, it's just that Claire wasn't raised by a dad and Chris practiced better gun safety.
Oh yeah, absolutely. There's a reason they paired those two for Revelations 2. In the same way that Natalia really clicked with a strong father figure like Barry (and having never had a father, I really love Barry,) Moira and Claire really supplemented each other as action girls. Less different from each other than they were the same, but where one emotionally faltered, the other could take over.

The Revelations series if often discounted as bargain bin shovelware trash, but when it comes to things like this, I really appreciate the screentime it gives to all the side characters that desperately need it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My first run was 8:30 or so. I managed to do less than 2 hours on my most recent S+ attempt. Totally repectable for a first run, definitely.

quote:

You only get to play it for the first time once - enjoy it friend.
I would pay for the chance to do it twice, not even kidding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aces High posted:

Is there actually any way to erase your data or anything? It would be fun to go back and do things over again, like shooting the Mr. Raccons
It depends on platform. If you're playing PC, just delete everything in "<Steam-folder>/userdata/<user-id>/961440/remote"

Then keep Steam from reloading your save data from remote. This ought to work, based on everything I know about Steam save structure. I'm frankly not willing to try myself, so don't blame me if unpredictable things happen.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me ask, for the purpose of my interminable rewrite project:

Which infected animal enemies should stay in modern RE remakes, and which should go? This applies to the whole series.
The dogs really have to stay, simply because they're too iconic of the series at this point to realistically get rid of them. I'd appreciate keeping the crows, simply because they're very atmospheric.

Something I think a lot of people would be happy to see gone would be the insects, though, particularly the spiders. I've heard more than a few people say that they can't play the older titles because the spiders just wig them out too much. They really don't add a lot besides being one of the few enemies that can actually poison you, so I think it wouldn't be a loss if they stayed cut.

Discendo Vox posted:

[b]Who is the worst character in the resident evil series?
Albert Wesker. No, I'm not kidding. You can't imagine how annoyed I was by the way his background just kept becoming more and more absurd. From corrupt cop to superpowered super-genius to test-tube baby created by Umbrella as an experiment in literally breeding their own future workforce or something stupid like that.

By the end of his life, Wesker was all but literally a fanfiction come to life. The series is objectively better off for finally having gotten rid of him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

In a series where heroes and antagonists all have some measure of resolve to face the conflict, Alex Wesker is someone pretending she's cool as ice but is secretly afraid deep inside.
I took the point of the question to be more "weakly characterized" than "weak as a person," so personally, I actually kind of put Alex near the top of better characters in the series - the fact that you can even say this kind of thing about her makes her incredibly well-defined in an IP that is otherwise mostly dominated by cardboard cutouts. She's one of the most well-characterized individuals in the entire series if only by virtue of getting any meaningful characterization at all.

Like, I feel like I know more about how Alex thinks, what she feels and what she's afraid of than I know about Chris' entire life, and she's at best a bit character and the villain of a spinoff game. The one time you even really see her, she shoots herself in the head, but she still feels like more of a person than Albert Wesker in the entirety of Resident Evil 1. That really says a lot about these games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I agree with all you've said, and I really like Alex as the antagonist. She's got clearly defined goals (unlike Ada) and she's got a well thought-out plan to achieve it (unlike Saddler). Discendo Vox did say they left it ambiguous how we interpret their, so I interpreted it in the "weak as a person" way. :shobon:
You made a good point of it, too. No one is this obsessed with fear except for a coward. She's so terrified and obsessed with running from death that she never even takes a moment to realize how incredibly stupid her plan is, because in the end, the only thing she succeeds at is trying to kill herself while a copy of herself keeps on ticking. Hell, she's even more afraid of being afraid than she is afraid of death - her "perfect vessel" isn't selected for any required physical traits, it's selected for its inability to feel fear. If that doesn't tell you absolutely everything you could ever need to know about her, I don't what will.

Revelations 2 is pretty funny to me just for the blasé way it short-circuits the whole "is the clone real or is it not" identity debate, by just keeping them both around and having neither be happy with the outcome at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The voice acting from OG RE brings me so much joy 23 years on.

Barry: Do you think we can see Tyrant now? 🤔

Jill: Barry, you're so optimistic. 😏
If you like that, you'll get a kick out of this: Resident Evil Porn (not NSFW)

Makes me laugh every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would pay for a full-length Marvin DLC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

And on that note, Mr. X supposedly speeds up if you knock his hat off. Do you have to specifically aim and shoot the hat off for that to trigger (also gives you an achievement), or does it count if you knock it off via collateral damage by say, shooting him in the face with a shotgun? Basically I want to know if you can trigger his increased speed by accident.
He doesn't. He starts speedwalking once he switches from walking around in "patrol" AI to having noticed you in active pursuit AI. Since the first time he does this after your first encounter may be in response to a headshot from behind or some other kind of ambush, people think it's connected. He does, however, do a funny "where's my hat!?" head-pat with his hand if you get him just right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't think you even could because of their size, but I recently saw a video of someone actually running past them instead of fighting them. Seems to be a bit finicky since they love grabbing you, but it can be done. I think when they poop out spawn might actually be one of the better opportunities for that. They're stuck in animation, so they might not be able to grab.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

It feels counter-intuitive to me to eat a hit in a survival horror game, but here we are.
On thinking about this statement for a little, this is actually pretty common in Resident Evil games. In RE1, for example, it was often advisable to rather risk a bite from a zombie so you can shove them over rather than spend the ammunition it would cost to even stun it. Herbs were common enough and heal enough (compared to how much damage a single zombie can do) that this was actually the least costly solution to a number of situations. Dodge, and if you can't, eat the hit. Only kill what you absolutely have to.

RE2make is a lot more about the killing than about the avoiding, but then again, most Resident Evil games these days are. I'm not complaining. Zombies are so fun to mutilate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Holy poo poo, even in the remake so much of this game revolves are pure memorization of ideal routes and techniques.
Eh. Honestly, I still run the wrong direction sometimes and look stuff up on the map, honestly. Memorization is helpful, but I'd say it's honestly never necessary. This isn't a particularly hard game even on hardcore. I mean, unless you're trying to speedrun, but that's not what I'd call normal gameplay. I finished my first run of Leon A in eight hours and thirty minutes, no memorization of any substantial degree involved.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zombies' limbs do seem to get more resilient proportionally to how well you're doing, just purely anecdotally. Then again, it's also based on how fat they are. It's hard to really say for certain, simply because there's so much variety to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It kinda does. The biggest and most important advice to give is to be careful where you drop poo poo, because the game will not remind you and there is no box to make life easier on you. Pick a good, centralized space you will get to repeatedly and easily. Anything less will make things intolerably tedious on you, because you'll already be making at least one hauling run once you unlock the second half of the game map and don't want everything to be ten literal in-game minutes away anymore.

Don't make the mistake I made and just drop things wherever because you think you won't need them anymore. You can never tell.