Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the layout of RE3 makes going in circles very easy. Many areas are set up as big circuits, but the changing camera angles make it not look that way until you end up back where you started. Raccoon City: World Capital of Alleyways is an old joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It also makes plenty of sense if you live in Europe. That generic grid layout that so many US metropolitan complexes are built around? We don't really have that here. The average town is about a thousand years old, had about a thousand different people planning it, and it looks the part as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I personally also think that RE3 is a lot better than its reputation, but I don't begrudge anyone who would call it the worst game of the original trilogy. By most measures, it's a fair assessment.

And yeah, I imagine that trying to really go whole hog on the whole "more action focused" premise of RE3 might have had a lot to do with why RE3make turned out so badly. Resident Evil 4 is basically that premise, but done well, so it's not that the formula itself is bad. It's just not pulled off very competently.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Metal Gear Rising has like five hours' worth of Codec calls alone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

your thinking of mgs4. rising beat time when i played it a few months ago was 5 hours, theres barely any codec stuff
...no, I'm fairly sure I don't. We are talking about Revengeance, right? Rules of Nature? I've played that game more than a little and from how I remember it, for every level you play, there are enough codec conversations to just about equal the amount of straight in-game playtime the mission has. Plus all the VR and side character DLC, which you got for free on the PC version.

WaltherFeng posted:

Rising has hours of optional codec convos.

https://youtu.be/srR4aZMTYwE

Look at the video length
What the man said.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I mean, I just think it's fair to count Codec as part of the entertainment for Metal Gear games, because long rambling digressions about the nature of war and the human condition are kind of part of the fun there. It's what they do. :shrug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I gotta say, I really don't remember a lot of people say that RE3 was their favourite game in this thread basically ever. I think before RE3make released, I posted that I have a personal soft spot for it because it's the first Resident Evil game I ever played, but otherwise there was a general tenor of "it wasn't great, but RE2make is, so we're cautiously hoping it'll be just as good!" in most places I looked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough, I would've found that weird to hear as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To be fair, it wouldn't have improved the games if he actually had worked like Mr.X does in RE2make. The original games were not built for a persistent stalker who genuinely follows you anywhere. You would never, ever have been really capable of losing him for long. Your ability to move around the world and the world's ability to keep existing without you were too limited both by technology and the design of the game itself.

What Nemesis did was primarily to add atmosphere, and I think he performed admirably in that. True, if you were the kind of person who spent enough time playing around with him to realize how easy he was to cheese and avoid, then he wasn't very threatening at all. Your first time through the game, though, that really isn't how you were likely going to feel. Nemesis did a great job of making you feel hunted, even if there are actually only a fairly small number of situations in which he could appear.

I personally think that counts for something. They made the most of what they had available to them and it was effective enough that people remember the game for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

a lot of the RE3 popularity seems to stem from the amount of people whose first RE game it was. at least that's my best guess, people usually fail to articulate why it was awesome other than the live events which is an interesting idea but you know, totally incapable of holding up an entire game.
I would say that the other half comes from the fact that even at its worst, it is only inoffensively okay instead of terrible. When Code Veronica is bad and boring, it is really bad and boring, which is ironically not helped along by the fact that it's actually a pretty long game. The only thing that anyone ever names as actually annoying them about Resident Evil 3 is the water puzzle, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The internet will surely have a nuanced and well-considered opinion on the matter, as it always does.

I admit, my knee-jerk reaction was "but they look nothing like them!" before I thought that well, I guess it also doesn't really matter that much. Middle bottom guy will make a good Leon, I think. He has that doofy boyish charm to him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Birkin might get a cameo to set up the relationship between him and Wesker. It doesn't necessarily have to involve the G-virus right away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

She's Sweet Shaliquor in Dark Souls II as well in a super early role.
Huh, I wouldn't have pegged her as the type who can pull off The Snarkiest Cat so well. That might turn out interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a much better shot, certainly. It makes her look less like an orange-painted skull.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm replaying RE2make and I have to ask: is it just me, or do the noises the G-mutants make in the Meat Hallway sound weirdly like singing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ironically, for most people the music box puzzle is probably the easiest in the game, because the game literally tells you the solution. There are two example boxes in the room with the stairs: one that is mistuned and one that is tuned properly. When you play them, the game tells you exactly which combination makes that tune.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I vaguely remember something about the dodge in RE3 Classic actually being automatic to a degree if you play on easy, to the tune of there being a random chance of you just dodging out of the way whenever you are attacked. Can someone confirm/deny?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

That part where it showed you a text about the solution to the puzzle is only found in other ports of RE3. In the PSX version, it only plays the tune so if you're tone-deaf then you're kind of screwed trying to solve it.
Oh hey, that's interesting to know. I never played any of the games on the original PSX and the solution pedestals fit in well enough that they could've always been there.

Sucks for tone-deaf or just straight-up deaf people, then. Good that they moved away from that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, for all practical purposes, that might have as well been one of RE4's boulder QTEs for how quickly it needs you to react and how easily it can kill you. There's nothing that's really better about it unless you have a particular grudge against QTEs and think even an insta-kill trap is improved by not having them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.
Being incredibly boring and forgettable pretty much is what most people dislike about it, so that comes as no surprise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

So at this point, the game doesn't seem too bad. I've still got the fire extinguisher, albeit stowed away in the item box, so maybe I can still get magnum. Didn't know about the effectiveness of the knife, but I was under the impression the knife was meant to be ignored until you got to RE4.
Code Veronica is pretty much the one exception to that due to a bit of weirdness in how its collisions work. If you use the knife while aiming downwards, you get three or four hits in for every swing. When you're dealing with a single weak enemy, that makes it an unusually efficient way to save on ammo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's actually pretty powerful even on stronger enemies. You can kill Hunters with two swings if you know what you're doing. My last run of CV had me pretty much only use ammo and guns on bosses and maybe the occasional more annoying but rare enemies like Bandersnatches.
Fair point. In terms of the damage you do, that's totally valid. I just found it very hard to pull off without getting smacked for my trouble, so didn't feel confident in recommending it as a strategy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is exactly one spot in RE3 where the knife is actually useful. Maybe you remember that spot where you can climb up onto a wooden pallet? Doesn't matter if you don't. There's a pretty big horde of zombies in that area, but due to engine reasons, they can't attack you if you're not on the same Z-level as them. You, however, can aim downward and hit them. The trick is to climb up, start aiming downwards, and just plink away until there's a pile of zombies at your feet three layers deep. Takes almost ten minutes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

Pretty cool how they made the knife more useful in 7/RE2R but the fuckin thing lasts about 3 slashes. Not sure which way makes less sense
That's mostly for the special use. It lasts a good long while in RE2make if you just use it as a weapon rather than as the get-out-of-grabs panic button. If you use it just to slash zombies, you could probably go through most of the game on just a single knife.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The knife is way more powerful at high FPS because the damage procs more often, so I suppose it's not wrong to say that it tears up bosses more if you do that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pooch516 posted:

What's the deal with the Revelations games? Are they not canon? I think I own both of them through Xbox Gold promotions, but I never got around to playing them since I never heard much about them compared to the main series.
They're canon, but they were experimental and released episodically, which I imagine did a lot to hurt their popularity. The first game was also simply not very good. The second Revelations game is excellent (and features a playable Barry Burton, Gun Dad extraordinaire) but I replayed both games only recently and the first Revelations game just doesn't compare. It's rougher and less interesting in every sense - plot, characterization, design, gameplay, even the graphics and animations are worse. A lot of people were probably turned off the series by the first game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pooch516 posted:

"Poor deputy."

The voice actor for Ethan sounds so weird. Par for the course for RE I guess, but the family is so crazy that the main character sounds so oddly muted.
Ethan gets a lot of poo poo for being bland and colorless, but it's really more that everything around him is so crazy and over-the-top that being basically just a normal guy would make him look like he's just not up to snuff no matter what. He's not remotely as bad as the guy from Silent Hill 4. Now that was a real zero-personality bore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Medullah posted:

I think Ethan was a nothing burger because they wanted him to be forgettable so when you were in VR you felt more like the protagonist of the story.
I guess I'm in the minority for this, but I honestly thought Ethan came across very well as an 'outside character' who isn't yet completely inured to the craziness and bullshit of the Resident Evil series and has started to just play along. Well, to each their own.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Honestly I’ve never been that interested in playing 0 for some reason lol. But I guess it’s probably worth checking out on sale
It really isn't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also, he worked so hard on that tyrant, like so hard. Laughing at him was really rude.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously, that is some "naming the dog after your ex-wife" level poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think he actually might, a little, due to the way he holds his guns in relation to the center of the screen where the camera is. Something about the weird way aiming and camera angle are separated from each other in that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, pretty much everyone hated that part.

The completely ruined state of the obligatory secret Umbrella basement lab was always pretty weird and it never made any sense to me either. There's a pretty definite timeline to how and when the Spencer Mansion got infected with T and largely abandoned by anyone who didn't just succumb to the virus and it just really doesn't match up at all with how those areas look. The lab would've had to have basically always been in that state for it to look that bad by the time the STARS teams show up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I regularly work in a chemical lab that was built over 40 years ago myself and while you can see the age, it still doesn't look nearly that crappy. We don't even have to be biohazard-safe, either. The mansion basement lab area really doesn't look a whole lot like a lab at all, more like a bunch of repurposed storage rooms and maintenance tunnels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Detective Pikachu was great and hilarious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That one is an experience alright.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm mostly not enthused by the idea of them being too creative about it simply because they tried to deviate fairly strongly from the formula of the original game with RE3make and we all saw what that led to. It was kind of a mess. Trying to improve on what's already widely considered one of the contenders for the best game of the entire franchise does not strike me as all that great of an idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

and the parts of RE4 that could use an improvement would struggle to be made worse, a lot of people i talk to about the game entirely forget that the island even exists.
I actually think the island is pretty much fine except for the Krauser fight and has some of the most entertaining enemies and setpieces in the game, but you always seem to have some sort of grudge against people saying that there really isn't a lot about RE4 that needs improving whenever the topic comes up, so let's just leave it at that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I'd personally argue that "memorable" isn't the same as "good" - the Krauser fight is something I certainly remember very well, but never in the sense that I actually liked it. I think it massively overstays its welcome without really being all that fun, which I suppose is only appropriate since that's what some people think about the entire island.

Overall, I suppose I'd personally say that the worst part of the island is how it's so comparatively lacking in flavour. The crazy Notspanish hick village was neat, the equally crazy Doom Castle was neat, but the island is mostly just brown and too much like a standard third person shooter of that era. It has its legitimately cool bits, though, such as the regenerators and the iron maidens, the silly laser corridor that was stolen right from the movie, the plaga dissection lab, the truck section, I liked a lot of that.

ImpAtom posted:

I have a lot of trouble believing that people forget about the Regenerators
Yeah, I mean, really. They're creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean, RE4 kind of invented the modern third person shooter as we know it
Well, it has been a while, so I might be a bit fuzzy on the details. I think "generic 'reality is brown' military shooter" games were already an annoying cliché even back then, though.