Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So the PC version of Operation Raccoon City unlocked about five hours ago, but like all Capcom games it is subject to inexplicably stupid decisions, including not allowing it to pre-load off Steam, so what this really means is it unlocked about an hour ago. Unable to find anyone on matchmaking, I've been playing the co-op game with bots to get a taste of it.

If you've watched the trailers you know the graphics look really nice. There was some FPS pitting at first but it almost completely went away after I turned off anti-aliasing, which hasn't made any noticeable difference visually.

Given the concept of the game (In case you haven't been paying any attention to it, you play as Umbrella paramilitary operatives cleaning up after Raccoon City), character design is obviously important, and I think they nailed it. I like all of the characters, and legitimately had a hard time picking one. They're all really cheesy (Former Russian spy, sadistic medic, nietzsche-wannabe scientist, recon guy that does kung-fu, etc), but it's Resident Evil, so that's a given. They also don't really make any sense (Why do you really need a "medic" when that really just means designated first-aid spray sprayer? Why do you need a "recon expert" when that just means having a gadget that turns you invisible?) but, again, Resident Evil.

This is, without a doubt, a straight-up shooter. The shooting mechanics are intuitive compared to the last two games and there is an equally friendly cover system. Movement key towards cover sticks you, away moves you away. The walls don't grab you and hold you hostage when you come near them, nor does your character ever spaz out and stand up in the middle of a firefight. I'm glad to see it only took the gaming industry six or seven years to get this down.

There are quick-time events and they are still cumbersome and annoying. The icons aren't really very clear (What is the c key with a crescent-shaped arrow over it? Am I supposed to be pressing the c key while waving my mouse? I don't know.) and when you fail one it's never exactly clear why. I hate them and they should go away, but they're not exactly a big part of the game (Press x to take less damage, instead of press x to not die.) so whatever, I can mostly ignore them.

I don't know if I can really recommend buying it full price yet, without legit playing co-op and trying the multiplayer modes, but if you were interested in it before, know that I like what I've seen so far. It is a fun co-op shooter based on Resident Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well it looks like ORC is broken! Like, impossibly impeding game progress broken. I've reached a cutscene with a QTE that freezes a few seconds in. The cutscene progresses, you can hear things happening, but the screen freezes, and then a few seconds later I hear the death screen. I'm not even able to retry because the screen remains frozen. I'm forced to quit to the menu.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, for all its flaws, I do really like ORC, so does anyone want to bro it up in co-op?

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, it's basically Lupo, Leon, Dee Ay, or Nicholai with shotguns vs. everyone else. Super Soldier is just a bad idea for an ability in a multiplayer game, since it's a win button on a short cooldown.

Yeah, they should nerf it to hell like they did with Induce Infection, or disable it entirely.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

I actually tried buying it- only to find that it's not available in my region :suicide: Oh sure, we allow Hitman and the Witcher, but not RE.

what

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
You get to kill zombies! And have firefights with SOF soldiers! You can choose from an array of over 40 assault rifles, submachine guns, machine guns, sniper rifles, pistols and shotguns! You earn experience points by killing zombies, finding collectibles, and completing objectives in campaign or versus modes, and then use those points to purchase new weapons, or abilities for six different classes (Surveillance, Medic, Field Scientist, Assault, Demo, and Recon)! Shoot Leon Kennedy in the face!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a longshot but would any of y'all be interested in playing O:RC co-op?

E: On PC? :allears:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 7, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

Sure. I got that on sale when buying RE5 a while back and had no idea what I was playing. You have a link to where someone could you add you to Steam or something?

My steam name is the same.

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thehumandignity/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

Is there a reason why Revelations costs $10 more than 6 on Steam?

ORC is still $10 more than 6.