Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Edit: RE0 is also getting a bundle physical release with the REmaster if anyone is interested.

As if there weren't already enough games I wanted to buy coming out in 2016.

I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Why has there never been a Dino Crisis/RE crossover which has you fighting zombie dinosaurs?

There's kind of a zombie T-Rex in Resident Evil 6. :haw:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

RE5 has better encounter design and is more consistent on the whole whereas RE6 has way cooler combat and a lot of fun individual moments.

In my opinion Resident Evil 6 is second only to Vanquish in fun third-person shooter control systems.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 26, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I love Resident Evil 1, 4, 5 and 6 all for different reasons so regardless of what they do with Resident Evil 7 I'm sure it's going to be the jam.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you saying you don't love RE2 + 3

I like them just fine, but they don't represent their own gameplay style like the other numbered entries do. Of the three tank control Resident Evils I definitely like the original best.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I enjoyed the Resident Evil 7 demo in a big way! I hope the VHS tape mechanic plays a major role in the final game, because I think they could build some really cool secrets and puzzles around it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

i'm still hoping you can react to ghosts popping out in spooky ways by suplexing them

I want to RKO a ghost.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Shut up about Tomb Raider and stop overusing the word "skeevy" and watch the new RE7 "gameplay" trailer instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

Game comes out on January 24th, 2017. Villain in the tape is apparently Marguerite Baker. More details here.

Still not really feeling this myself. It doesn't really feel like I'm watching any gameplay, and there still doesn't seem to be any combat present.

I really hope they start showing some combat soon, yeah. This stuff looks fine, but I really don't need another Outlast-style avoid-'em-up in my life.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

My guess is that you won't get to do any fighting in the flashback/videotape segments, only in the present. The Playstation Blog entry claims this trailer is a videotape segment, although I don't know how that makes sense because you can see both of the character's hands on-screen at one point.

Is she wearing a GoPro?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Resident Evil 7 is going to be showcased on Sony's stage at TGS.

Hopefully we'll finally get to see some combat! :pray:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm getting major Clock Tower vibes from that trailer, what with having a single dangerous entity chasing you around that you have to hide from. That's pretty cool. I'm not digging the dinner scene stuff, though. Seems like it's there mostly to be scary in VR. I hope there's not too much stuff like that in the final game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Give Chris his RE5 haircut back! :arghfist:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Vakal posted:

I would be ok with both Mr. X and Nemesis being in the same game as long as there is a hidden cutscene where the two of them bump into each other on the streets.

I imagine it would play out something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Hv4GvvHkQ&t=41s

This but with Chris instead of Mr. X.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Resident Evil 5 is way good. It took Resident Evil 4's combat, added some quality-of-life stuff, made it co-op, and gave you a bigger diversity of enemies and situations to tackle.

It's not as perfectly finetuned as Resident Evil 4 is, but I still think it's really good. It's probably my favourite co-op game of all time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Spiffster posted:

3:15 Jill run...

So drat close but I think I'm burnt out now. :smith:

I believe in you! :coffeepal:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Frankston posted:

I just downloaded the 7 demo for PC. Is it supposed to look like this

or is my gfx card dying. I think it's the latter.

This looks like a background from a Five Nights of Freddy's game or something.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mr President posted:

My God what the hell did Capcom do to the Resident Evil series last gen?

Good things.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Coming out 3rd of April. :eyepop:

Guess I should get around to wrapping up Scenario B of RE2R.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Does RE3R make anyone else's PS4 (regular) sound like it's about to explode? Even The Last of Us 2 doesn't make it go into turbo mode the way RE3R does.

Unrelated, but I think RE3R is a great speed(y)run game. I didn't really like my first playthrough, mostly because I think the RE2R-style zombies aren't a good fit for a more action-oriented game. But when you're blowing through everything the pace feels just right.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I wish this was real.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Camera movement feels leagues better than it did in RE7, which makes me happy. The act of shooting is much less cumbersome now. Guns still feel really piddly, though. This demo got me, though. I wasn't even thinking about purchasing this game (didn't like RE7 very much) but now I'm very much weighing the possibility. :retrogames:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I hope she doesn't work the way Mr. X did in RE2R. I'm not interested in running circles through a building just to avoid the lumbering death zone again. Hopefully she's a temporary enemy like Jack and Marguerite.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Re: which game to start with, the HD version of the Resident Evil 1 remake has an option for free movement. It trivialises a handful of encounters because you can easily run circles around enemies, but it might help people get into the franchise who might otherwise be turned off by the double whammy of tank controls and fixed camera angles. Plus, you can unlock Resident Evil 5 Chris as a bonus costume! 💪💪

Resident Evil 2R is still a great place to start, though! Just make sure not to shoot Mr. X's hat off if you know what's good for you.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

So is it just me or does the tension on the dualsense's triggers change depending on what gun you're using? I played the castle demo again and really took my time with it, and it seemed like the shotgun had a heavier trigger pull than the pistol. It may have even changed with the hair trigger.

Yes. The shotgun also puts tensions on the left trigger when you're aiming down sights, which confuses me to no end. :confused:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay I haven’t played RE5 in years and I’m just kind of astonished how much better looking it is compared to RE6. Like RE6 is a grimy rear end looking game, but it’s not like RE5 was all pristine looking either in terms of its settings.

It’s even more apparent with that green filter removed.

It's very strange. I think it might be because Capcom tried to go for a slightly more realistic artstyle for RE6 that it looks so much worse. But that still doesn't explain why texture quality took such a massive nosedive. Maybe the team was stretched too thin making a 25-hour game to polish everything as much as they wanted to.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

RE Engine is powered by dark magic and old ones.

https://twitter.com/nikileetompkins/status/1390646569339396106?s=21

Hell yeah, I have to be honest, I really like the voice and mocap talent they’ve been using since 7 on, I liked 6 and the others, I’m just saying they’re continuing with great VA, which is always funny considering how the series started.

I'm the massive mocap collar.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since bosses in this series are pretty rote, and since the beginning have been 'shot the weak-point until it dies', what would an RE style game with no traditional bosses look like?

Probably kind of boring unless the manpower that would otherwise go into making bosses goes into developing more enemy types instead. Resident Evil has had a bit of an enemy variety problem since RE4, with RE7 being the absolute nadir of the series in this regard, but bosses help break up what would otherwise be a somewhat monotonous experience.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Of the twelve main-line installments, what part is the pits? (0-8, CV, REV 1&2)

0 and Code Veronica are the games that offer the least, in my opinion. They don't do much that RE1-3 don't do better. If you're going to play 5 and 6 I recommend you get a friend to play co-op with you. And maybe watch a Youtube tutorial on how to get the most out of the combat in 6.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Yeah man, just gimmie a good ORC.

ORC got poo poo on and deservedly so (despite being one of my favorite 100% completions), but I firmly believe a game concept like that *can* be good with the right polish.

:hai: I would kill for a game like that, which makes me all the more sad that Capcom keeps putting resources into bad-to-middling competitive multiplayer RE games instead.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

DrankSinatra posted:

Apologies if this was asked already. I was trying to avoid spoilers, but I have an RE 8 question. Will playing 8 spoil 7 for me, plot-wise? Would that be a big deal if I want to go and play 7 eventually? I'm in the mood for another RE game, and the fact that 8 sounds like it skews a bit more action-y, and is kind of a throwback to 4 makes it sound like something much more like what I'm in the mood for right now. I don't necessarily want to do that though if it would mess with my enjoyment of 7.

Resident Evil 7 doesn't have much in the way of twists, so you should be fine. Unless you consider "the good guys win" to be a spoiler, I guess!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

You can add me to the list of people that didn't like the Beneviento section very much, and that's coming from someone who is easily spooked by puppets. All it came down to for me was a tedious puzzle section capped off by an Outlast-style chase where you circle an invincible enemy around a few tables until you can leave. The fight at the end did more for me than the section itself. I can also imagine it becoming a major bore on replays, which is never a good thing.

The fight by the Beneviento gravestone was really good, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Resident Evil's a series where really the only people besides the villains who die are random people that we, the player, are introduced to right as they're dying. Or already dead. Or they get introduced and are dead within an hour or two of game time.

This is Brad Vickers erasure. :mad:

e: I think the reason the Silent Hill chapter in Dead by Daylight had a killer from SH2 and a survivor from SH3 is (SH2 spoiler) that they didn't want to have one of the survivors be a wife-killer.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 27, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Speak that truth, king.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

You should play Assignment Ada first because it has the cooler outfit, IMO.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Every enemy in RE8 is the worst enemy Capcom has ever designed because they all have grab attacks that put you in 3-4 second cutscene if they connect. :colbert:

Jokes aside, I do think the lycans are the least fun enemies to fight in RE8, satisfying headshots notwithstanding. The Soldats are definitely my favourite, even if the double Jet fight is a bit much.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Across all the more recent RE games (from REmake2 onwards) I find it incredible how often the character's response to stuff is word for word what I say at the same time.

Claire going "... Really"
Jill going "... What the gently caress"
And now in Village when the windmill handle breaks, even tho ugh that's telegraphed by the note in the truck "ugh...seriously?"

They're common sentiments but it always gets me how perfectly Capcom guage reactions to their own nonsense

(Final areas spoilers) I said "how much longer is the factory going to be?" seconds before Ethan commented "there's more?" It was incredibly funny.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

The way they dodge often feels cheap. Taking a page from RE2make and RE4 being able to take out limbs would have been welcome. It capping them in the knees does anything, I haven't noticed it.

I guess I'm in the minority as just not really feeling this one so much. It's the first one in the series in a good while that didn't totally suck me in.

The castle prisoners (and their clothesless siblings from later in the game) can be kneecapped, but I don't think the lycans can. Headshots are their only weakness as far as I can tell.

And I'm with you, this was probably my least favourite Resident Evil in a while. Just not my bag. :( :respek: :( Maybe Revelations 3 will be the game I crave.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1402249050532024321

Looks like Resident Evil 8 will be mentioned at Capcom's E3 thingy. I wonder if they have big DLC plans or if things will be limited to a small Mercenaries expansion. Either way this has caused me to hold off on selling my copy, so good job, Capcom. :shepspends:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Infinite Darkness was a huge step down from Vendetta. Bummer.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

Might switch to Jill for first run, then. Literally just two extra inventory slots would make a HUGE difference, all though I found a storage box which has helped immensely (until I got eaten by dogs :negative:)

Two extra inventory slots and you don't have to deal with tiny keys. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm super weirded out by the fact that all of the CGI looks terrible with the exception of the Licker at the end, which looks solid. I wonder if work on that shot is further along or if there is going to be such a huge chasm in effect quality in the final film.

:psyduck: