Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

Digital Scumbag posted:

Haha, I'm sorry. We can still be mad at Boll, though!
Uwe Boll would make a Resident Evil movie that was much more faithful to the source. Faithful enough that you might even think you were seeing the games being played!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digital Scumbag posted:

I really want to believe this is a crack on House of Dead randomly having scenes of the arcade game being played as segues.
You're in luck then.

I kind of want to see an Uwe Boll Resident Evil movie, maybe two wrongs would make a right for once?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lasher posted:

Haven't got sound but that doctor looked like Krieger from Archer which is pretty apt.
Dude looks more like Krieger than Ada looks like Ada.

Fereydun posted:

It's really crazy that the game seems to be on the RE5 engine. It looks like it plays so smoothly in comparison to that and other RE4-style games.
While I have a pretty strong preference for the old-school RE games, the gameplay here does look pretty slick. I just find the enemy designs a bit lackluster. Though that was true for RE4 as well, and that was still a great game. (outside the wrong-kind-of-stupid magic castle)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Backhand posted:

Yeah, I get that. It isn't so bad if I have good positioning. The problem comes when I get surprised and wind up in a spot I don't like. A good example would be in the factory just a couple hours ago; I wound up in close quarters with an exploder. I decided I was a little too close for comfort, and I should back off a bit before flashlighting the thing to death, so I turned around and ran back about ten feet. Turning around, I saw... that Claire had not moved at all, and was standing right next to the monster just kind of calmly staring at it. She then promptly took an explosion to the face. A few minutes later, the same thing happened with an Ironhead.

Claire's AI just seems to kind of... blank when it gets close enough to an enemy.
Moira regenerates automatically, so a better tactic might have been switching to Clarie and letting Moira take the hit. Not that intuitive perhaps to have one of your characters deliberately take damage in a RE game, but it works pretty alright for me. Obviously flashlighting it is ideal, but having Moira take one for the team is the next best thing. I do agree with Claire's AI seeming sorta "slow" at times, but you learn to compensate, mostly by wrecking poo poo with Moira before Claire can even get into trouble.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

Straight up. Put some EFFORT into it. Introduce transformative elements, switch puzzle solutions and jumpscares around.

Maybe even something that changes stuff up as much as Crimson Heads did. You don't need crimson heads exactly but they forced you to really think about which zombies you could afford to ignore and which you couldn't. Very tricky for a game where you had to backtrack so much.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Maybe have it so killing zombies attracts lickers to the room to feed on the corpses?

I hope they include some new areas to explore like the REMake did, as well as utilizing the Scenario A/B thing a bit better. I mean, the only actual changes you could do in A that affected B were taking the stuff in the Armory, accessing the special laboratory with your fingerprints, and using the anti-BOW gas. Maybe have something like the fire on the roof from the helicopter being optional to put out, and if you let it keep going you don't access something useful in A... but the fire damage from letting the fire rage in A allows you to access someplace in B you wouldn't normally be able to get to once you put the fire out.
The original technically had a whiff of this, but perhaps making the fact that the police station was "under siege" a greater part of the gameplay could be something to explore? Instead of something as simple as choosing which of two shutters should work, your actions inside the police station could attract enemies which eventually break through (or converge in the case of lickers) and make areas inaccessible (or at least very dangerous to traverse) until you're forced to retreat into the sewers? Conversely, things like crashing helicopters, fires, and Mr. X, would occasionally open up replacement paths to the ones overrun.

Could even make it so the police station was connected to a few neighboring buildings, sort of a mini-RE3 city, with each having a different sorta feel and a different story associated with it. (And possibly alternate ways to enter the sewers.) I think something like this could change up what the player expects in a similar fashion to the REmake, but in a way that's grounded in RE2 rather than the original.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Lickers as Crimson Heads for REmake 2 could work since in the silly game lore, Lickers are basically an advanced mutation of Crimson Heads anyway. So gunning down zombies could lead to Crimson Heads 10 minutes later and then Lickers another 10 after that.
Could even include a half-way point between Lickers and Crimson Heads, if you wanted to add a new enemy type. That enemy type being a Crimson Head with more 3D mobility, being able to jump you from above or rush up bookcases or other furniture to get at you from below. Also, Brad Lickers secret boss.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DanielCross posted:

Didn't one of the Outbreak games have exactly this?
I think so, though I'm not sure about the whole mobility thing either. Not in-game at least.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's something they'll have to consider because REmake style is more faithful to the original game, but modern controls minus silly action martial arts might be truer to the feel of the game. It really depends on which other mechanics they want to put in the game, for example if they decide to make Raccoon City seem like it is completely swarmed by the infected and constantly trying to break into the RPD, taking a page out of Dead Rising at least as the quantity of zombies on screen goes then a more actiony control scheme would work best. If they want to stick with similar numbers of enemies as the original RE 2 and just switch things around such as Mr. X appearing in places you least expect or new puzzles then they'd be as well sticking with REmake controls.

Basically the controls should fit their vision of the game.
The remake should be an action role-playing third person shooter where you can recruit various members of the R.P.D and the civilians they're protecting in your struggle to survive.

Crashbee posted:

The fact that guy is wearing a shirt reading "We do it!" does not bode well
You don't have to be a master of grammering to make a great game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

If there's gonna be co-op, I'd rather it be Outbreak-style than RE5-style. They could make a very interesting experience if one player played Leon and the other Claire.
The co-op partners would obviously be Leon + Ada and Claire + Sherry. Sherry's gimmick would be that the longer you're around Claire, the more monsters you attract, so the optimal play is to run off/fall down a hole as often as possible, only sticking around Claire if she absolutely has to defend you and to hand over the loot you've found.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Alternately, Sherry takes notes from Natalia and becomes a master of brick art throwing.
The game does take place in a former art museum.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't mind Leon's or Chris' campaigns (Leon had some really annoying boss fights though)

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is just that the campaign design is super all over the place and it the game as a whole feels like it was made by like 4 different teams who didn't communicate at all, and as a result didn't know what the game was supposed to be (one team for each campaign and one for the mechanics and Mercenaries mode).
I didn't mind Leon's boss fights that much, but I think they kinda felt out of place for the "Raccoon City all over again (except this time Leon has developed an anti-zombie martial art)"-theme. Chris is Punchy McShooterman, so it'd make more sense to me to have him go up against fast and aggressive foes like Gatling Tiger-Centaur Transformer, or the dinosaur, whereas something like the sneaky snake boss fits the survival horror themed Leon campaign better. Another look at the theme they were going for vs. the gameplay of the individual campaigns, plus excising the most annoying gimmick sections, would have improved the game quite a bit I think.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Has there ever actually been a raccoon present in any Resident Evil game?
The player characters are the raccoons, putting their grubby little mitts on everything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am incredibly shocked none of the Outbreak games thought io include a zombified city mascot in a giant plush suit or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes Code V owns, especially Weskers stuff. He tries to be a badass but gets owned.
Chris, since you're one of my best men, I'll let you handle this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GUI posted:

If there's one game in the old series that'd fit fine with the modern RE gameplay it would be 3. That one was pretty combat heavy compared to the earlier titles and it'd benefit a lot from what RE4 brought to the franchise.
Definitely agree. I think it'd be neat if they took a cue from the games Japanese subtitle, Last Escape, and made escape the base goal and focus of the game. Raccoon City in this case could be recreated as a randomized maze of sorts, where the chaos of a city being overrun by zombies has created and blocked off paths at random, which could force the player(s) to think on their feet if they're being hunted down by Nemesis and add variety between playthroughs. It could also result in the player arriving in certain locations at different times relative to the progress of the story, or them arriving from different directions, which could put a twist on how they have to approach an area/boss fight.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's not quite that simple and I'm about to bore everyone by knowing too much about video games

A zombie bite in RE1 definitely does not take you to yellow from full health with Chris. Chris has 140 HP, and a zombie bite does 10. You need to hit 104 to hit Yellow status so you'd have to get bit 4 times to reach yellow. Jill, bizarrely, has 96 HP, and gets into caution at 71 HP, so she only needs two.
Are you saying it takes 14 zombie bites to kill Chris/10 to kill Jill? Because that really doesn't jive with my memories.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

If memory serves, each actual bite in the attack is separate damage. e.g. if they grab you and bite three times, it's 30 damage. Been quite a while since I actually dug into that poo poo though, I might be totally off.
Still seems low, but it could be my memories of it are being influenced by me being real bad at the game when it was still relatively new, so I was getting chomped on like 5 times each time a zombie grabbed me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Yes.

Actually, it takes 15 to kill Chris. You can't die from 10HP. You have to be below it.
140 - 10x14 = 0 ???

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah. It puts you on 0HP. You then die from the next hit.

You have to be below 10HP when you take the last bite to actually die. The 14th bite hits you on exactly 10HP, so you don't.
Aah, I see. You worded it a bit differently than I would have. Though you have to admit, 0 health seems like a pretty natural place to die.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

Be honest guys, how pissed would you be if they replaced Leon's glorious Halloween costume with a proper legit police uniform in REmake2?
In universe, the costume made sense. “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.” Leon clearly wanted to join S.T.A.R.S.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Finally, the fungi-based Resident Evil we've all been looking for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I can't wait to see what sort of virus/parasite ends up being able to do this.
Hallucinogenic fungi.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PureRok posted:

This basically encapsulates my problem with the game as a Resident Evil game. If you took that logo off and asked someone what game that was, I'm pretty sure most people would say Silent Hill. Which is fine. If the game was Silent Hill. The RE games have never been horror. They've had horror tones and ideas, but they weren't ever straight-up horror. This is my problem. I'm sure it could be a fine game, but it's going to be a bad Resident Evil if the game is anything like the demo.
The original was definitely a horror game. B-movie horror, but horror nonetheless.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Convex posted:

Wtf is a penis colony

It doesn't sound like something I'd pay for
Rev2's plot is centered around a virus which triggers when you get horny.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly RE has always been horror, it just doesn't translate well outside Japan. It's really terrifying in Japan though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Policenaut posted:

That logo is pretty genius though, and I like their weird attempt at bridging the divide between the game's name in both America and Japan. Personally I always preferred Biohazard.
Should have gone with Bio Evil or Resident Hazard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Len posted:

Is his the one that ends with fighting a T-Rex?
The final boss is a spider-fly, but he does fight a T. Rex.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Geight posted:

RE5 has some parts that use the setting in a cool way like Sheva's motivation being to stop western corporations from taking advantage of the land and its people
That was actually what I sorta imagined they were going for when I first saw footage from the game, since that would be an extremely obvious way to go with a game about viruses literally dehumanizing people. I mean, the whole thing could have been some Heart of Darkness poo poo, explicitly making reference to the Belgians in the Congo Free State as well as modern day exploitation in Africa, with las plagas laborers being worn out working in various mines and plantations to provide a cash flow to Wesker's secret base. You could reinforce the whole idea further by having the initial place Chris shows up in be a vibrant African port town, where Wesker's front is selling these products to companies from all over the world, with Chris only being there based on the rumors of Jill being around. Then when he meets up with his informant in some outlying village, and everything turns to poo poo, he gets rescued by the local BSAA who inform him that they've been trying to get people to listen for months, but all their requests just seem to die on the vine. That'd foreshadow both the whole Tricell angle, reinforce the idea of Western willing ignorance of modern day exploitation, as well as make the local African forces seem as competent as any other.

That, and showing a normal African town instead of one that's clearly already taken over by badguys, would probably do a lot to cast everything else in a less racist light, even if they stuck to a less diverse cast of local las plagas. Well, shield and spear las plagas aside, I don't think there's any way to include them that wouldn't undermine the whole thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

maybe one of the areas should have been a souvenir shield factory. spears are just pointy sticks, so those don't require any explanation. problem solved!
Alternatively, a bunch of male models in animal skins and war paint for some high fashion photo shoot, who got turned into las plagas dudes. They'd be the most handsome enemies you ever fight in a RE game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Geight posted:

This is all good stuff, it makes me wish that we had either gotten the original not co-op story that RE5 had which got linked in this thread awhile back, or that we had gotten something more like this. IIRC the original story was just focused on Chris, with Sheva as a supporting character that was leading a group of local freedom fighters to survive against the plagas infestation.
I hadn't seen the original story for the game, there's some neat stuff there. The whole ancient T-virus monsters idea makes Weskers whole "becoming a god" thing make more sense to me, if you imagine that a whole functional and stable ecosystem of T-virus creatures had been created, co-evolving with the virus, serving as an inspiration for Wesker's new world order. It would basically be evidence that order can come from the T-virus, an order which Wesker could shape with science to create a strong and obedient populace subservient to him, which he would safely lead into a new age, free from all the chaos that threatens to end our existence.

I don't know, I just wasn't a big fan of the oily black worm thingies, or the bosses in RE6 for that matter, so I'd have loved to have seen more of a melding of hi-tech electronics and BOW's, like those hunters integrated with robots he had in CV. Or nicely uniformed tyrants as an honor guard. They could still have crazy gribbly monsters, but they could play up more the whole part of that kind of thing being a failure in the eyes of Wesker, creatures with no purpose aside from dying for their master, including him not gleefully becoming a crazy gribbly monster himself. I mean, that could obviously still happen, but it could be more like Wesker accidentally becoming the kind of thing he loathes, rather than it being an active (if perhaps desperate) choice. Basically, I wanted Wesker to become like his pal William, except when his head starts sliding into his torso he's angry as poo poo at Chris for doing that to him and dooming the world to chaos and destruction, and clearly making it known, but otherwise unable to do anything but see his hijacked body get increasingly mutated as Chris fucks it up.

Geight posted:

I've already fought Wesker, that spot is forever taken.
True true. I was thinking of regular enemies, because obviously none can compare with Wesker.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The plagas and whatever they replaced them with in 5 were a necessary response because the zombies of the previous games were extremely non threatening and the way Outbreak(especially file 2) had to have the zombies gain bursts of extreme speed to make them threatening showed how weak that enemy concept was.
I agree with your assessment of why they replaced them, but I don't think the classic zombies have to be non threatening, even assuming similarly armed protagonists. They'd definitely need to expand the basic idea of what they do beyond "Sit around and wait for someone to bite, then shuffle toward them while getting shot" though. Like if zombies made up for being kinda slow with having real strong grips, so if you character got caught by them you basically had to chop their arm off or kill them outright to escape, and then had zombies not just sitting around but rather wander around and be attracted to sound and light, meaning you could suddenly find yourself completely surrounded by zombies you had inadvertently lured to your location. Basically, how they seem to behave in cut scenes.

Obviously that approach would work best in a game where you remain in the same general location, as opposed to the more linear progression of locales of the modern games. It'd probably work fine for something like a RE3 remake, especially since you'd combine not getting boxed in by zombies with Nemesis possibly showing up at any time. Thinking about it, the zombies I'm describing here are sort of a mix between an enemy and an environmental hazard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Getting mad 2004 flashbacks here
About time the RE fanbase gets another faction.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Odds on the spooky swamp house secretly having a hi-tech sterile lab underneath it?
They need to make a RE game with a bright and airy hi-tech mansion, like if Steve Jobs designed a house, which has a secret spooky moldy basement underneath it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

So, really, any dumb schmuck at Umbrella could just point at any random chemical concoction and say "Hey, what if we injected that into Larry?" and almost every time the higher-ups would reply "Go for it, man, you do you." The truly amazing thing about Umbrella is that while all this was happening, they were wildly successful, most assuredly due to the efforts of the most exhausted and world-weary CFO in history. None of the games really touch on that, and we'll never know who that person was, but at least we can rest assured that they were definitely murdered.
I think I prefer the idea of the CFO having been completely unaware of all the weird poo poo going on in the company, until the day he was arrested by the US government and brought to court to answer for the crimes of Umbrella. All on his lonesome of course, because all the other higher ups had assassinated each other or gone into hiding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I do wonder what they'll do to spice up the game because RE2 is actually very linear, especially once you finish with RPD. You don't even go back to the RPD like you do the mansion.
If you wanted to have a similar dynamic to RE1, you could have the player pursue Irons into some other area, and then eventually having them get their hands on a key which unlocks a bunch of areas in the police station. I'm thinking some secret underground Umbrella transit area where Irons had his own personal rooms for meetings with Umbrella personnel, which Irons has by then turned completely into his own little amusement park, featuring his favorite pieces of art and a makeshift dungeon for people who he didn't just kill outright while doing his thing in the RPD. Hell, if they wanted to spice things up, some of those people could still be in the RPD when Leon and Claire first show up, with some seemingly disappearing over the course of the game until you find them locked up/dead.

That said, you could probably change the format up even more, if you still have the A/B scenarios. As in, the RPD is the center of your exploration until you get into the Umbrella labs, but the A/B scenarios might change up the progression of areas you go through far more, with multiple side areas.

Raxivace posted:

In some ways I think what you're referring to is better than how REmake changed it.
Yeah, I definitely prefer how not-gamey the original version is. It's a much better way to tell if the player trusts Barry or not than a blatant "Do you trust Barry? Yes/no", though admittedly it is a pretty old-school kinda deal, having something that doesn't seem like a decision affect the outcome much later in the game.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 23, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Capcom has some kind of weird Resident Evil 7 Complete Edition thing but only in Japan, and it's $160 US.

The running theme for it is the five senses. There are actual rosemary and green herb seeds bundled for you to plant and smell
I am disappointed they didn't go all the way and had some scientists create GMO replicas of green/red/blue herbs. We can make glow in the dark mice, how hard can it be to make some plants a different color?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Nah, it'll track any explored rooms regardless of whether or not the relevant area map has been found.
Note: There are a few rooms which stretch across ladders and poo poo, which can make it appear like you're somehow missing an item when it's really just somewhere completely different.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Also also Revelations 2 is really fun? So far anyway, me and my girlfriend are trucking through it in split-screen and it's a riot - in a lot of ways I feel like Rev2 is arguably designed to match experienced RE players with their SOs or younger siblings or whatever, because I honestly cannot imagine being Moira myself, I'd get bored and try to crowbar my way through a crowd of bad guys instead of dutifully shining that light... but she eats that poo poo up and seems to enjoy having fewer "shoot the mans" responsibilities, since she's normally not into console shooting games at all
You seem to be implying that this is not the correct way to play...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Also old women in wheelchairs are scary, apparently.
Plus, the stairs are right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wesker is gonna be in RE2make.