Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the DS a good port? I've never played the original, and I've enjoyed a few of the DS ports of classic games like Chrono Trigger and Broken Sword - the problem is I can't find a copy for less than £40. Is it worth paying that much for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Also, OldMemes, Deadly Silence is a good port with some cool new modes added. I don't know if it's worth that much money if you have any other version of the game already though.

I've actually never played a Resident Evil game before.

Are you planning to add to the side games section in the OP soon? I'm actually really interested in hearing about them.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 4, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I say go for it then. Out of all the ports of RE I have played, that one is probably the best one. Although it does lack the arrange mode from the Director's cut.

Does it have the original awful voice acting? If not, that's a kind of a deal breaker for me

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of ORC, Capcom just released a new trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoSULz-SwM&hd=1

The music makes me laugh. It's just trying SO HARD.

Why is that one woman using a zombie police officer as a human shield? I don't think that's a very useful tatic against the zombie hoarde, and getting tat close to a zombie's mouth seems like a good way to get infected. Mind you, has anyone in RE ever bothered to take steps against getting bitten and infected?

Yep, best black ops super elite team soliders ever!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So does the public in the Resident Evil games know about the bioweapons, or is it all hushed up, and this global outbreak is the first time anyone has had solid proof of them?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

How old is Barry at this point in the RE timeline anyway? Wasn't he the oldest member of STARS, and the first game was set in 1998, I think?

When I heard that this game was going to be about a global outbreak with no hope left , that it might end up being the epic finale, with Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Ada and all the other main characters teaming up to save the world.

Though if Capcom made a story DLC about Barry, I'm sure they'd make a huge profit.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Chris Redfield pulling a shotgun out of his own mind isn't even in the top five of craziest poo poo in this series.

Remember the live acction opening for RE 1? When Chris's profile is shown, a voice shouts out "I got a shotgun!". Therefore it makes sense somehow.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So they don't have the rights to do it, and thier proof of concept isn't original footage, but clips from Hannibal, Seven and Prisoners edited together? That's not a pitch, it's barely even fan fiction - with a proof of concept, you're meant to film something yourself cheaply to get a studio to invest in the idea. They've just edited a bunch of clips of other people's work together and said "Capcom give us copyrights please thanks".

You know all those "idea guys" on Kickstarter? The ones who say "I have a great idea for a game, give me money so I can pay someone to make it, though I don't have the resources at all"? Pretty much the same thing, really.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So I'm guessing this will be the canon version of RE 2, like how REmake replaced RE1?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

If zombies take three headshots and that's not considering the lickers and stuff, it's no wonder they gave Leon a cushy government job for getting out of the city. Leon is hardcore.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

They gave him the job to keep him away from them and the agency’s cars

RE 7 says lots of people survived Racoon City, so maybe they all got nice government jobs too, just with less quick time event type nonsense.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MGSV would be great if they'd remembered that it wasn't a PSP game this time, so they could actually have some of the important plot stuff be in cutscenes, not be all in audio files. Also if they'd let Kojima finish the big important mission that ended up being made into a crude slide show in a DVD extra.

The best RE song is the Top Gun-ish songs from the first game with the Kenny Loggins type lyrics in slightly broken english.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

About 70% of the Resident Evil films are less charming than a short FMV made for no money with whatever random white people the development team could find.

Like they couldn't seem to stick to even a simple action movie story without changing thier mind (like how the t-virus turned the earth into a desert, but in the next film it didn't). The first is fine and feels Resident Evil-y enough though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

How did Umbrella expect to get the BOWs back in the box to reuse as weapons anyway? Zombies are disposable, but some of the other ones look fancy - and pricy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

poo poo RE2 might actually be hard!!

Combat already looks hard, and with how rare ammo seems to be in the footage we've seen, then yeah....

Plus Resi characters are unable to pick up any melee weapon that's bigger than a pocket knife, this is science.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

From when I played the demo, even regular zombies are really tricky to deal with as they constantly shuffle and stumble, making it hard to get good shots on them before they're so close they're on top of you. And evading them is just as difficult, since trying to run past even one in a narrow corridor is just asking to get a chunk ripped out of you.

Game looks good and plays good, it's gonna be great.

You'd think Leon could pick up a baton or something, but considering that Chief Irons hid all the ammo as a joke, there's probably not any around.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

This game seems a little dark, like tricky to navigate dark.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So based on mentions of one of the characters in RE7, and the zoo in this, Outbreak is still canon, right?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I've never played Code Veronica, but from what Ive seen and heard, that and Zero seem like the awkward outliers in the canon series. Do people want a remake because they love the game, or they want a 'good' version with better design or nostalgia or what?

Aside from being a bridge to the Ps2 era, does it bring much to the series, aside from Wesker coming back? The story doesn't seem compelling, Remake seemed to do a better job at filling out the Umbrella corp lore.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The only game which needs a remake is 3, to finish the set, then they can port it to everything for years like 4. I've seen some people want 4 remade, and it doesn't need it? Just make it look prettier every once in a while, and it's fine.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Considering that Nemesis ends with a literal presidentially-decreed nuclear explosion, I personally find it hard to believe that even Umbrella might have enough money to bribe their way up that far, but I agree that RE3make probably ought to offer some kind of explanation for that.

We do however know for a fact that by the time of RE2make there was no such cordon, or Leon and Claire never even would've managed to get into the city.

Have we ever actually seen the army barrier in the games, or is it just mentioned? The government picked up Leon and Sherry after RE2, so I guess they just milled around on the roads for a bit, then the army showed up, put up a wall, then after a day were like lol nope and nuked it. Oh, and gave Leon a cushy job, put Sherry in quaratine and just let Claire wander off to fight Umbrella singe handedly. Yeah, that could do with a bit of expansion.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Why not just re-release Outbreak 1&2? Not a full remake, just the original games with the textures upscaled a bit, a voice chat option. Slap that on Steam that's easy money, it would sell like hot cakes for not masses of effort.

Plus it would preserve Outbreak.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Is this going to be like a budget download game or something?

Steam (and GOG) seems like an easy way to preserve old games and still make money off them. Capcom could just shove a lot of old games there and its easy(ish) cash.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wouldn't the firestorm from a nuke have burned the forest down? It was really close to Racoon City.

Did they ever establish how many civilians survived the outbreak? If the army had barricaded it and was rescuing survivors as per the RE3 end slides, it must have neem a few.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Beyond that, they've never said how many people actually got out. Leon says it's rare to run into a survivor of the incident in Degeneration, and finding out Claire is one of them seems to instantly buy her some street cred from Greg and Angela, but that could mean anything.

Racoon City was a pretty small city, so I guess there weren't many people to get out in the first place. Then again, this was a city with a special SWAT team and several helicopters, so who knows.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I finished Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS recently and was impressed on how much they managed to pack into a 3DS game. The gameplay was fun, but the story was a bit disjointed and hard to follow, and the new characters weren't very good. I liked it overall.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They should put Outbreak on digital shops, not like a remake, or even a remaster - just to preserve the game and make it easier to play.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

they should. they wont. the website had the same okay stuff as the remake2 website which made everyone think we were gonna get outbreak, instead we got re3 and i guess resistance.

is outbreak even canon anymore given the remakes or is it one of those you decide what is canon things.

Aside from the news reporter getting out, Outbreak is 'canon but doesn't really matter'. A magazine in RE 7 implies that there were quite a fair few civillians who got out of Racoon City, I guess the Outbreak characters slot in there if you want.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The agencies having to play whack-a-mole with outbreaks and people misusing BOWs is more interesting than a post-apocalytic setting in Resident Evil. I know Umbrella and Racoon City is the most 'iconic' part of the games, but you don't have to shove them in everything.

So they're making it where you have to know the games to understand it, but it's also not an adaptation? Makes sense....?
Surely a semi-canon side story would be better, just have some new characters in the BSAA be sent on a mission somewhere to fight some BOWs, nothing too wild, but fun. Like, as bad as the Resident Evil films were, at least the first one tried to capture the fun b-movie appeal of the games.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

It should've been Arklay.

That proof of concept video was great, it looked like it would have worked even if they'd taken all the RE elements out and made it a horror mystery show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

so were STARS members issued a grinder to use on all the herbs or did they have to provide their own

Do they eat the herbs, or what?