Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

LET THIS PICTURE OF AN ADORABLE KITTEN FOOL YOU

At a certain point it's more unbelievable if they *don't* manage some level of generic superhuman injection. A million flavors of dude that can bounce a train off someone's head, 3 story spiders, and all the other tomfoolery they managed to 'master'? I think they could manage something that just makes a human punch really hard and heal kind of fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

sponges posted:

I feel like speed running might ruin the game for me. Like, what’s the point of playing it ‘normally’ again, ya know?

Other than loving around, the "speed run" is the natural end point of a game like this. Be tighter in dodging, more accurate with shots, know where you need to go and how best to get there. That's a consequence of playing the same game again and again. There is no randomizer [Yet], so it's always the same things in the same places. So getting better natural reduces time spent to beat the game. That's a speed run in everything but intent, the score just formalizes it. You need to beat x amount of time [Possibly without a certain number of saves] to get this score.

And if you are loving around [I have a knife that never breaks, how far can I get JUST using that] you don't care about time so it doesn't come up. You'll go at your own pace making your own fun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Spiders in RE have always been 100% there to get a cheap jump out of people that have an issue with spiders, as far as challenging enemies go like all of them in every game they show up in the strategy for dealing with them is "Just move, they are harmless". There's a giant boss one in C:V I'm 99% sure died to one flame grenade, and it's like....why are you wasting my time here?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Barry is 60, Chris is 47, Jill and Ada are 46, Leon is 43, Claire is 41, and Sherry is 34.

Now to be fair like half the people on this list have been infected with transhuman biological nonsense at one point or another, so at least SOME of them have an excuse for being spry at their ages.....but yeah they are all getting up there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I mean just skip CV, they never meaningfully reference anything in it again. And they literally say parts of it are wrong and couldn't have happened.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Wesker was a loving joke, and the best thing he ever did was get instantly bodied in RE1. He doesn't deserve a REmake quality version.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

codo27 posted:

*Sigh* must we have this exercise again? Wesker in RE5 was harder to listen to than modern...anything. Ah! Theah you ah! Wesker is suddenly from Boston

Don't you put that evil on us!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Not sure if people knew this or not but RE3 always had a dodge, it's not exactly state secrets.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

almost as if... theres more to come...

alex wesker in (her new body) resident evil revelations 3. 2021. witches and werewolves in vr baby.

edit: spoilered cos it looks we got new rev2 players. the best of the rev games.

Rev 1 had a plot that is absolutely 100% never be referenced again, but Rev 2 is actually grounded enough that it could very much be picked up. And it would be hilarious to be in the world where Barry Burton is raising the last Wesker child.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Moira is a remix of Claire, finding a little girl to care for on a weird zombie island, before being rescued by her pilot dad. I think that means her next adventure would have to take place in Capybara City, Argentina, where she has to keep some American backpacker safe during an outbreak.

Well I mean her family drama is more interesting than "I have to find my missing brother, who isn't even missing and evidently I can contact through Leon at any time", what with her new adopted sister being evil. That'd be hilarious really, the newest little Burton, Alex Wesker, chilling out on the evil cult stuff for a bit, and just sort of waiting to see where the state of the world ends up by the time she grows up before deciding if she has to go full super-villain again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

How does the new dodge mechanic feel in RE3? I remember it being a game changer in the original

It's a game changer, if you get the timing down you are straight up loving styling on people. There's video of folks just standing there and back to back to back perfect dodging on Nemesis and dropping him.

Conversely if you *don't* dodge at all he gently caress your day up real real quick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I mean if the "Drop Nemesis, get loot" mechanic is still in you have an upgraded pistol coming to you. If not the trailer shows we meet Kendo, so that's an excuse to get better gun. Either way I'd be loving astonished if we stick with that pistol all the way through.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't mind the anime, RE plots are hilarious. I just don't want them to look dumb.

Ship loving wildly sailed on that one, then the ship turned into cum.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Return of the Living Dead 3 is amazing, you shut your whore mouth.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Snagged Rev2 Episode 1. Rad to have the one that restarted an unbroken streak of good RE games.

Umbrella Chronicles what? Never heard of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I mean I wouldn't, there are no "good" parts, and it's a dogfight between who is the biggest piece of poo poo wasting your time [Unless you count Ada's campaign, in which case it's unquestionable Ada. It's copy pasted sections, the worst gameplay, the worst story, and the most tedious sections. It's the shortest, so I suppose it has that going for it.].

They are all terrible, but I give Leon's the 'best' title because at least you fight a loving end boss that has something vaguely related to all the poo poo you went through.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Chris' campaign ends up with you fighting the big nasty you've seen spending the whole game investigating

You literally don't find out that giant monster is the end plan until you see it. The entire campaign up to that is "Got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to....wait, she's dead? Well poo poo, fight this giant monster in an underwater lab."

quote:

and Jake's ends up with you fighting the lesser Nemesis who was chasing him the whole game.

it shows up to bust your chops like 3 times, and it's a glorified thug being set at you by 'Ada'. Who you don't get to deal with. And it was never fun or threatening to deal with it before that point, so why do you give a poo poo? As you say, "Lesser Nemesis". It has less emotional impact than Mr. X or Nemesis, it's just this rando you fought a few times. You never have a reason to care about it.

Leon is "Simmons is kicking off a terrorist attack and killed the President" leading directly to "Lets gently caress up Simmons". There's at least some sense of climax to that. The other two just sort of end.

It's a terrible game top to bottom really.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Jake for RE8.

Poor Jake, he will never be mentioned again. They bet big on the crossover appeal of RE6, it's like twice the amount of game that RE5 was.....but it made less money. It's one of those hilarious things where I've poo poo on it, and other people have poo poo on it, and it *was* a failure....by Capcom's standards. It was still the second most successful game in the series. The only real problem is the reviews and general player satisfaction, plus the company's expectations. It wasn't given "Second best in the series" manpower, it didn't have a "Second best in the series" budget. It was built to have mass crossover appeal and make them that Nathan Drake money. It didn't, their pivot into harder action was less well liked than RE5. And the poster boy of that game is Jake. When the Resident Evil team is done with a concept, it's in a loving black-hole forever. Like the nineteen separate companies that were behind the scenes of things after RE3. None of them are mentioned again.

The flip side would be I imagine they'll get back to the co-op stuff at some point. The Rev games aren't amazing sales-wise, but they are also budget titles and do a reliable 2.5 million. RE5 is the most popular game in the series, sales-wise. And even the people that poo poo on RE6 said it was *more* fun with a partner, by and large. People seem to not hate co-op in their games.....mostly. So they saw the pivot that RE6 made, and they saw it didn't work, so you get a stream of "Back to basics" releases. RE7 wasn't gangbuster sales like RE5 and 6, but it joined them in the "Over 7 million sales" club this year. It grew in popularity in time in a way that 5 and 6 didn't. It's also more generally 'liked' than 6. The Remake 2 release is drat near there already after a year and still doing alright sales. "Back to survival horror" isn't hurting them sales-wise, and it's good for the brand to go "Hi yes we remember zombies and horror, we can still do this". Like with DMC5, the experiment with DmC wasn't what they wanted it to be so they assembled the team to go "No, really, we can still do the thing really well when we want to".

Now that they've done that? I imagine they'll get back to some co-op action based games. They've had time to work in their engine a bit, try things out, get really used to it and various design types. They won't make 8 next, and I bet they won't remake something. If I had to bet I'd say their next game is co-op. But no more Jake. They did a Jake thing and it didn't work, so *poof* he goes to the island with Carlos and Sheva and Ashley and the fifteen other secret companies, and all the other things that will never be relevant again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I mean I was expecting basically RE3 but prettier, and with maybe an actual script. 1 year is loving no time at all to work on something more than that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I saw a Resistance clip where the mastermind spawned the super plant right next to all of the four survivors as they were about to escape. It killed one of them immediately and entrapped two in vines. They lost.

Capcom has never been able to do straight multiplayer games like that.

That's what gets me. They are kind of poo poo at the concept, and the best they've ever done is Outbreak [Which is why when people heard about Resistance they were like IS IT GOING TO BE LIKE OUTBREAK?!], and if they spent the time and money thrown at developing Resistance into adding another 30 minute set piece for Re3 and Mercenaries it'd probably have snagged them a solid million sales over the life of the product. It is the most no-brainer of no-brainer concepts, and yet they keep tripping over their dick hoping to find some sort of new crossover appeal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

.....why would you, it's a great game?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Get the REre1 upscale mod and it's perfect.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Got a link? I really hate how grainy some of the backgrounds look.

https://reupscaleproject.blogspot.com/

There are also upscales for 2, 3, and 4. There might be for CV for all I know but I don't give a gently caress about CV.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Crowetron posted:

There was only one good idea in all of RE0 and that idea was zombie baboons.

Having a partner and being able to drop poo poo are both, on their own, interesting ideas. The implementation of a partner in it wasn't perfect, and having the dropping system INSTEAD of an item box wasn't great, but the ideas weren't terrible. They've made good games with a partner since.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i only care about chris when he's beefy enough to punch out an el gigante.

That's Leon, Chris always needed like heavy machine guns and a ton of people to help when he fought El Gigantes. Leon did it with a knife and a dog. Chris only has show muscles, not gently caress muscles. If you want to move a boulder Chris is your guy. If you want someone to mount a 20 foot tall behemoth and slam it into goo, you call Leon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aces High posted:

but wait, Jake is the one that suplexes Ustanak

And he can take that power twink energy to the clubs and really clean up. Leon was having bare shirt duels with a Tyrant when he was a decade younger than Jake is, and canonically Claire was going after loving Birkin when younger than that. Jake is a small baby that must be protected from future game appearances.

e: I mean I guess he can show up in a Rev 3 with Sheva or something. He wasn't bad, he was just in a bad game.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

If that's real I'd assume they are teasing that Chris either dies or is the antagonist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is REmake 3 better than the original?

As close to objectively as possible, no. Elements of it are better, but RE3 had Mercenaries. In no way was a REre3 without Mercenaries going to be a better game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

?

It's mostly done.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Your knife doesn't have durability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Does it count when one of the support characters is secretly dead and possessed?

Technically that makes her *two* Burtons for the price of one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

No they are right, capitalism is poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

RE0 went to some vaguely interesting design spaces with two person teams in an RE game, so in that sense it was at least a useful exercise that got fleshed out more in other, better games.

RE:CV had nothing of value, and no lesson was learned in the making of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Even that is mostly dialed up in CVX. And not worth it, like most Wesker poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The hilarious part is that all it would have taken to make a lot of the people that dislike it happy is....one more 30 minute set-piece in the late early-game/middleish? We aren't talking about massive, systemic changes. They needed one more bit, preferably where early form nemmie shows up doing things, and that's it. People would have been just fine with the game. It still wouldn't have been as good as ReRE2, game would still have flaws, but they wouldn't have been so letdown.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong in holding up things like "Jill Sandwich" and "your left hand comes off?" as core elements of series' identity.

You are wrong to expect that poo poo in a trailer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

RE7 expands on it in a more grounded way as RE6 is rather out there in almost all aspects, to say the least.

I will always be baffled that they decided the plot to RE6, their big crossover game, would be that a creepy politician makes one of his evil scientists a copy of Ada Wong because he's horny and so the evil scientist is so insane with rage over it she decides to murder the world.

That's it, that's their big crossover game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

its important to understand that RE6 isn't as bad as 90% of people will tell you, because everyone suggests that the best part of the game is the absolutely worst campaign and walk away from it assuming the game can't possibly be any good if that part is the best part (it isn't, get over it, it just has Leon it's very clearly the worst campaign by leaps and bounds)

No it's Ada, and the game is dogshit. There's LPs of it, people can just check out clips. It's a tedious cover shooter with very few interesting moments that runs about 20 hours longer than is acceptable for the amount of story they had to work with.