Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One thing I can say for this game is that the guns have the most satisfying "pop" of anything I have played since maybe Last of Us or RE4. Each shot feels weighty and significant and I am really excited to have a full game of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have spent so long trying to figure out how Leon and Claire's runs match up with Birkin Stage 3

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah they hosed up the b runs with that. i think they should have kept each character fighting their own different g stages like the original but oh well.

I almost had it figured out as Annette didn't die after healing Sherri and woke up and was like "gently caress it, lemme make sure William is still dead which is why in Leon's run she shoots him twice and in Claire's run only once. But it misses that Birkin morphs in both bossfights when he should only have morphed in one

But yeah, I agree the games big weakness is in the Claire/Leon runs having the same bosses

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Good soup! posted:

The Robert Kendo thing was interesting because I didn't immediately place the guy as Kendo, I kind of felt like they could bring him back as the guy Jill meets at the start of Nemesis who lost his poo poo and is screaming about losing his daughter and locks himself in the container out of grief

Also lol if Capcom isn't immediately exploring an RE3 remake with the amount of attention\sales this is getting

I thought they already announced it was a being worked on

I look forward to RE3: good version

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's possible that the person what union but took a non-union job under a psuedonum, which happens quite a bit in VA. It's counterproductive to the union, naturally, but you gotta eat

Was the VO done during the strike?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

A&B never really matched up if you thought about it for more than a second but yeah it's a shame the different versions of Birkin you fight got cut along with giant spiders, crows and not-zombie plant monsters, presumably to save time/money.

considering how big the game is the idea they cut monsters for time and money seems unlikely to me. Plus, the plant dudes are pretty significantly different from zombies

codo27 posted:

Thats the thing that gets me, no stomp. You knock the fuckers, jump their head in. Bring X down to one knee? Cut his head off with your knife al queda style. Or at least try. Mainly I wish there had been a dodge button of sorts, LB or RB to just quickly shift to one side. That would have helped a lot with the zombies. I dont mind them taking too many bullets if they were easier to dodge.

Man, your character in this game jukes zombies like Barry Sanders compared to RE2 original

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would love for a mod or dlc that puts in a "romero mode"

One shot to the head and only a shot to the head kills zombies but a single bite and game over

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

My dream is that they take the body damage system and apply it more precisely. Shoot the zed in the right way to penetrate the skull and you will KO him proper rather than RNG. Clip him on the side and it will just ricochet off like in real life.

The body damage system is advanced enough that I honestly thought that was how it worked for a bit until I read that it was just a die roll.

its just weird to me that no zombie game has ever actually had traditional zombie rules and I would to play something like that one day

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

codo27 posted:

Something else on my wishlist, some way to convey damage without taking the bite. I mean how do you commit to that? How can you be bitten and not turn? What if it was fatigue? I mean decrepit as they are, trying to overpower walking corpses would wear you down.

I had the funniest version of this

I got hit by a charging stab from the final boss of Leon's campaign, and because the cutscene uses the game model, he had a huge gash in the middle of his chest as a damage marker for the entire 2nd run ending which made the happy tone really funny to me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Gimme a call when they release the mini game about David (the unseen officer Elliot yells for/author of the bloody Licker note)

Your buddy got killed by a Licker and you want revenge. You've lost all hope, you've been contemplating suicide as the situation got worse, and there's nothing left to lose.

Also, you're drunk as poo poo.

How many Lickers can you take down?!

I will one up that

Mr. X mode

You are slow as gently caress and there are these two people running around the police station solving puzzles and poo poo

stop them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It should also be noted the Mr. X theme is some of the best music/sound design I have ever heard

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Armani Glasses posted:

The way I see it is that our characters never actually get bitten, and when it happens in gameplay its just a way to represent me being terrible at playing rather than how things really wen down.

I feel we've never seen a main character get bitten in a cut scene (who survives) which is all that ever really matters story wise. But I may be misremembering!

Yeah, I always assumed the canon is that they never got bit in the same way there has never been a canonical RE1 game

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah, people with minor bite wounds die of it and come back, but people who just die of normal stuff that don't have the virus don't come back.

It's definitely a "bite = die = zombie" type of zombie outbreak, and there are people that are immune naturally (Leon, Chris, Claire, Barry).

Then you have whatever Wesker's deal is which changes from game to game.

In Code Veronica the virus revives all recently dead not just bitten by zombies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also realized this whole time Marvin was supposed to be bitten

I always assumed he was shot because it seemed like a really weird place for a zombie bite

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ufarn posted:

Trying not to read too much about the game, but is there a preferred order to play the game in? I finished Leon A, but is the best next step Leon B or Claire A?

Claire B

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you play Leon B after Leon A? I think its Claire or bust

Beating an A campaign unlocks both B campaigns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Playing as the Mayor's daughter is going to be pretty grim in Ghost Survivors because we all know who kills her and what he's planning to do with her body.

I think the premise is that they are all what if stories

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Actually I used the shocker exclusively on zombies and it was a pretty reliable 1 shot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. I don't think I like this.

It all just seems so horribly dated, which I know is not surprising for a remake of a 20 year old game.

To much bullet sponge enemies, running back and forth over the same ground, stupid puzzles.

And the whole Mr X thing just seems annoying rather than tension inducing.

Fortunately it's a rental, so I can just say "Nah, not for me."

You are a bad person and have a questionable moral fiber

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, I am gonna go for an s run to get the infinite pistol but not 100%ing all rooms is gonna bug me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SettingSun posted:

It amuses me the Claire gets to fire a minigun, a weapon that on the set of Terminator 2 could only really be carried and fired unassisted by the hulking Schwarzenegger.

and that she isn't strong enough to lift a metal bookshelf

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

Speaking of the stealth section, that was definitely the part of the game I hated the most (I am just generally bad at stealth in games), and it killed me so many times that I had to look up a guide for it, which gave me the table trick -- but the table seems like it's not supposed to work because the rear end in a top hat actually bumps into you and MOVES YOUR MODEL to the side as he walks past you. Is it possible to actually hide from him without hiding under the table, I ask in fear that they're going to patch that out?

I one shot the Sherri part no prob

That ada part though was awful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There is a somewhat hidden line reading in the game that is just fantastic

If you loop around as Claire and voluntarily go down the big slide in the sewer Leon has to go down, at the bottom, she delivers the most honest and perfect "gently caress this" I have ever heard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A moment to celebrate the best picture in RE

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shinji Mikami: "how will they know the last guy is supposed to be wesker?"

Hideki Kamiya: *slides sunglasses.jpg over photo*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

man nurse posted:

Remaking RE 4 should not be something ya'll are wishing for. The game is perfection as is, and they'd probably mess with the mechanics.

Yeah RE4 is perfect.

It's weird that the two best RE games both came from disastrous developments with multiple shelved versions

It's like they should force every RE team to start over randomly five or six times because it seems to work like a charm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, imagine how incredible re7 would be if they went "never mind about the boat, we are losing the boat, make something new"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man an s run is turning out easier than I thought. Made it to the sewer in 1:18.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

whew idk how people do this.

Just got done with the Ada section and boy, that sucked major poo poo

Finished an S rank in under 3 hours, and I even was able to go back to the station through the elevator to do the treasure hunt

S rank is surprisingly easy, I ended up with a ton of spare ammo and healing items because I never had to shoot or heal

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Roth posted:

I didn't mind the boat so much, but the mine was just not fun, and the final boss was pure spectacle instead of anything interesting. A shame because I actually liked the other boss fights in the game.

I liked the mine because while it was visually boring, it played that always fun late game role in a classic RE where the balance of power has shifted and now you are armed to the teeth and the monsters dont stand a chance

I kind of wish the game had stayed small scale though. Jack becoming a big monster with glowing weak points and then Eveline doing the same felt jarring

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

I have a few questions before I pick this up next paycheck:

1) Does it kinda fall apart once you reach the sewers like the OG RE2 or did they make the last two section actually good?

2) How Leonesque is Leon in this one? Are we dealing with B-action movie hero Leon or "Please don't shoot I'm a human!" Leon?

3) Is the city section longer? Any new areas?

1) I think the sewer is better and the lab is neat
2) He's not as naive as RE2 Leon but not as bravado as RE4. He's basically a dude you can see slowly becoming RE4 Leon
3) There is a slightly new area if you play Claire

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I like the new Leon because his interactions with Ada are just her eye-rolling at his cowboy bravado

"The sewers, heh, a fitting place for Annette"

*sigh" "Yeah sure Leon"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Ada taking advantage of Leon's naivete, obvious thanks to dramatic irony, is probably the best part of their interactions.

also how she keeps really trying to get him to go away but she hosed up by saying she is FBI so Leon wants to FIGHT FOR JUSTICE

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The gator owned

If anything the gator is over too quickly in the remake

I was legit like "that's it?"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think my issue with the remake gator is that it's a set piece and not organic to the gameplay. Like, just letting us run away normally instead of in a weird inverter camera angle would have done wonders.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

I...didn’t really get this at all from their interactions? Leon is like the anti-Cowboy Bravado in this game, though he’s not as much of a wiener in this game as he is in the original

He just keeps doing dumb poo poo because "JUSTICE".

Like, the reason he even goes into the sewers is because "we have to stop umbrella!" even though Ada keeps going "you can leave, no seriously, its ok"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jables88 posted:

RE4 is the best game of all time. RE5 was OK co op but significantly worse than 4.

Revelations was cool for a 3DS game.

Based on the above opinions, should I get Revelations 2 for Switch?

I really want to play RE2 but have no console that'll play it and I'm hoping Rev2 might scratch the itch. Reviews seem to be mixed, is it garbage?

Its not garbage, just unremarkable

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It does have a great re1 callback

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

It comes off more as a sincere but naive desire to help people than “cowboy bravado,”

Fair enough, I see it as a subtle sort of early form of what would be RE4 Leon. Like, his naivety grows into bravado by RE4 and I feel like this game helps you see the growth.

quote:

and I think you’re heavily projecting a level of annoyance onto Ada that isn’t there at all.

she tries to ditch him at least five times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

If she was as annoyed with him as you say she would have just shot him at the end, or at the very least not have gone out of her way to give him a rocket launcher. In fact, she probably would have just left him in the sewers after the first boss fight

I didn't say she stayed annoyed, like the whole arc is "this guy is such a weiner" to "ok fine you're cool"

Also she totally does try to ditch him in the sewers. Like do you think she was gonna come back for him if she hadn't gotten in trouble?