Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

It's just gonna be Brad Mike Hunk wearing a wesker mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Does Japan even care about Resident Evil/Biohazard? I was under the impression it was a series that had fans in Japan but was mostly popular in the west.

If it was mostly popular in the west then it got a lot of inexplicable exclusives for its home country. I don't even think any of the CGI movies got a real western release outside of digital distribution, but they had full theatrical releases in Japan.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Wanderer posted:

and a shockingly wide variety of merchandise, including a realistic pellet-gun replica of the "Samurai Edge" pistol.

Airsoft

There were actually several RE airsoft reproductions, but I would chalk that more up to the series being popular with airsoft fans than its popularity in Japan in general, due to its depictions of interesting guns and (at least for RE0-RE4) including little tidbits about each gun.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Backhand posted:

Leon's one liners are all completely horrible, but they are horrible in an entertaining way. He's just so earnest in his attempts to be a badass action hero.

"Your right hand comes off?"

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Was Wii RE4 just significantly easier or something? I remember not having any trouble at all on Professional when I did a run of it.

Even did a gimmick run of a non-infinite ammo handcannon, just using that + melee and surviving off of ammo the enemies dropped since it doesn't spawn naturally anywhere in the game outside of that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Isn't that dog actually from some other Capcom series too?

I wanna say it was from Fatal Frame or something like that.

Haunting Ground had a dog and was released in the same timeframe by Capcom, but I dunno if the dog was an explicit reference to it or not since both games were in the same style.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Honestly I think the way Mia refers to Jack as 'daddy' in her stupor at the start was at one point indicative of more than just Eveline's control over her. I think Mia was possibly supposed to be a legit member of the Baker family, in Zoe's place- the story would then be the ol' horror movie tale about how she'd secretly escaped the family and changed her life, only to be dragged back. Initially the game very lightly hints that Mia is actually related to the Bakers but it's dropped the second Zoe starts calling you after the prologue. She may also have played the role of both characters, but it was split up to cut out some of the inconsistencies that would result from Mia being insane/not insane at even more convenient times.

I wouldn't really put much stock into the 'daddy' comment. When you encounter Jack after going for the final dog head, he was angry about Eveline wanting to call Ethan her father now rather than Jack, so it's pretty clear that prior to Ethan's arrival Jack was 'daddy' in the family and Mia would refer to him as such due to Eveline's control. It's also a weird and uncomfortable term and indicative of an abused person using the language their captors forced them to use, which fits in with what would be known about the game at that point (that the antagonists are a weird serial killer family) and is a pretty standard horror trope for those kinds of situations.

Plus, even taking it in the larger context of the game doesn't make sense. The sheer coincidence/unexplained planning for Eveline to know Mia's supposed backstory, the tanker to be in the right place, and Eveline to beach it at exactly the right time for it to wash up where the Bakers and only the Bakers find it, feels even beyond what Capcom would do. And the tanker makes up such a decent chunk of the main campaign that it doesn't feel like something that'd be added in so late there's still leftover dialogue from previous iterations of the script.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

lol. what part is this referring to?

There's a bra in the trailer outside the house that belongs to Zoey, and there's a prompt for examining it, but I forget what happens if anything.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I can see kinda why they have the boat part and everything after in, even if it is disappointing.

All the family stuff in RE7 starts hella strong but it's like as they were developing the concept someone suddenly went "poo poo this is a Resident Evil game" so they had to scramble together something with an evil corporation and bioweapons and just sort of crudely tacked it on to what could've easily been a natural ending point to the game. If the game was just dealing with the family with vague hints of evil science going on I don't know if you could really call it a Resident Evil game.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jimbot posted:

That gun Claire is using is really weird looking.

It is hella interesting.

With only seeing the butt of the pistol I can't claim it's 100% an S&W revolver, but at the very least the grip is straight up modeled after a round-butt S&W, with the original 'Magna' stocks (grips but in nerd S&W collector parlance) and something I don't think I've ever seen represented in fiction, a Tyler T-Grip,

It basically is an aftermarket add-on to give a S&W revolver a better grip, but it's so bizarrely niche it harkens back to the gun sperging days of RE1-3

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

codo27 posted:

Looking at the custom handgun image...man, what a crazy loving idea. I mean, I guess. There cant be any handgun attachment irl like that is there?

Custom handgun from what game? The one from RE0 that Rebecca makes with the upgrade parts?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Creamed Cormp posted:

so I was on probation for a month, and one of you mentionned that Claire's gun in the promo picture looked weird and different and could be more powerful than Leon's piddly 9mm.

It's a 5-shot .38 special S&W 638, so it's most likely going to be even worse than Leon's.

Nope!

ishikabibble posted:

It is hella interesting.

With only seeing the butt of the pistol I can't claim it's 100% an S&W revolver, but at the very least the grip is straight up modeled after a round-butt S&W, with the original 'Magna' stocks (grips but in nerd S&W collector parlance) and something I don't think I've ever seen represented in fiction, a Tyler T-Grip,

It basically is an aftermarket add-on to give a S&W revolver a better grip, but it's so bizarrely niche it harkens back to the gun sperging days of RE1-3

Gun in the holster is blued, missing the distinct humpback of the shrouded hammerless you posted.

...Aaaand the 638 is a J-frame, which is dinky as poo poo and proportionally doesn't fit with that at all

If they're going back to modeling real world guns, then it's likely that Claire's gun is going to be a S&W Model 10, which is an ubiquitously police-issue revolver to go along with her very period police belt rig and police holster. "Power-wise" in the real world .38 can be loaded up to comparable energy to 9mm but considering this is a series where adding gun parts somehow makes the ammunition more powerful-er it remains to be seen how they're going to handle it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Creamed Cormp posted:

sure looks like a 638 on the cover though

maybe she gets 2 different revolvers then?

I completely missed they revealed the cover art. Whelp. Yeah that's a 638.

Kind of really weird they have that on there. The belt rig she has on still has the full sized duty holster on it but it looks empty? Story-wise it might make sense, since it could just be her personal concealed carry weapon that she had on her when she rode into town, and maybe she picked up a dead officer's belt rig so she can carry around useful stuff? But it'd be weird to have an empty holster for some of the game until she gets another pistol to actually fill it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Capcom is selling a bluetooth mechanical keyboard modeled after Resident Evil 2's save typewriter. It'll set you back a cool $750 but you can get a great deal and buy the bundle that comes with the game for the low low price of $900 USD + tax! It's really a work of art though so at least take a gander at it.

https://www.amazon.com/Qwerkywriter...s/dp/B01KM6EJOY

So an extra $500 for stickers, nice.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

To beat a dead horse that nobody ever actually cared about

Whaddya know. Weird perspective made the holster look larger than it is, though it's still curious she has a thigh holster for a pocket revolver. But otherwise yeah, her pistol is a five shot .38 Special revolver.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I'm surprised no one posted this.

Capcom streamed some RE2make gameplay today, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/303718140

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

the flashlights

that 90s as gently caress x-files "these still are batons that use D-cells we can't put them on out guns" shooting pose

yessssssss

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 20, 2018

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It really does go to show though just how deep the game is-there's tons of secrets and strategies built in that can make every playthrough different, whether you're playing for the first time or the 15th. There's a reason it's regarded as one of the best action games ever made.

Also if you have the chance you should definitely check out the Dark Id's LP of 4 as, though some parts are regrettably dated, it's still very funny and very informative.

How regrettably dated?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Looks like a Walther PPK based on the base of the magazine and the grip screw location

It definitely looks like a Walther PPK. Magazine base extension and what looks like the nub of a heel release.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dewgy posted:

What also makes it kind of tonally weird is even with Mia being super suspicious, the script makes it fairly clear that Ethan knows something is going on. When the Umbrella troops show up at the end, he's almost like, familiar with them. I don't think it's ever expanded upon, but it either feels like he's got his own secrets or Mia's "babysitting job" wasn't as out of the ordinary as they try to pass it off.

Ethan kind of has a complete nonreaction to basically everything though

Plus, at that point Umbrella was publicly relaunched as a anti-BOW organization so seeing them show up, in-universe, would just be a "oh wow this got serious" thing as opposed to "???".

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I'm still playing through both campaigns so I am trying so hard not to read this thread and get spoiled but

Are you supposed to do 2nd Run after you play both campaigns individually? It looks like it skips over the entire intro sequence with a quick montage. Like, beyond just the gas station, all the way up to the police station.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

....why would they think that would be a good idea!?

The early games did it. Why? Who knows.

Maybe the idea was it's more challenging with only herbs, since you don't always have a red one on hand and a green heals piddly amounts it's more challenging, but first aid sprays are rarer than red herbs so

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

It'd be well in fitting with Irons' character to refuse allowing officers to don riot gear and be very aggressive about people disobeying it

DeadButDelicious posted:

I always figured most of the cops dressed like Leon were part of teams like you see in the RE3 intro and are dead or zombified as a result.

But this is probably most likely. All the riot gear folks dispersed into the city to try to safeguard passages for people to get to the police station but were predictably overwhelmed, leaving regular officers back at the station to care for whoever managed to make it there.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

What's the connection between the knife and FPS? Why's it a glitch?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

RE2make genuinely surprised me with the actual emotional gut punches it put in all the rewrites. Like what the gently caress. Stop it. I don't want to feel absolutely stomach twisting sorrow for Kendo

Or Annette. Or Marvin. Or or...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

(I am unironically glad there is no trophy/records checkbox for "Kill Marvin")

There totally is though

https://www.residentevil.net/en/twostats.html

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Contingency Plan posted:

Any gun nerds reading this thread: Leon's Matilda / HP-70 description mentions: "problems that make it impractical for the general public."

What is it talking about? It's the only weapon in the game whose description hints it is flawed.

I think it's just an awkward way of saying it was a commercial failure.

There's nothing dangerously wrong with it, there's just a lot of elements that are only semi-excusable with its original intended role as a law enforcement handgun with the capability to accept a shoulder stock that also gives it a three round burst. Despite being the first polymer framed pistol, it's surprisingly heavy, very large, has a very poor trigger pull, and doesn't shoot particularly nice because of its operating mechanism. So there's very little reason to buy one as a civilian shooter since all guns sold to the public (as the VP70Z) are specifically incapable of attaching the stock.

The no-safety thing Wanderer mentioned is mitigated by the heavy trigger pull, so that's not really much an issue. But they are right in that it's a really silly gun nerd choice since by the date of the game the pistol's already 28 years old, was already out of production for nine years, and nobody ever adopted it in the first place because the three round burst had way too high a rate of fire to be usable. It being Leon's personal weapon and not a presumably issue one like in the original game makes it all the more goofy.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Guys Japan really likes Dead by Daylight (at least, among the weirdo community. Not the waifu weirdos, the other kinda)

That being said I hope this is more Left 4 Dead than a purely assymetrical multiplayer thingie. Odds might be decent for that, considering there was that L4D2/RE6 collabo way back when.

Asymmetrical multiplayer wouldn't really jive with the characters being as armed as they are in those photos. Dead by Daylight you can't do anything other than momentarily stun the killer with environmental stuff. You certainly weren't running around with a shotgun.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Intensely cursed post.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Convex posted:

I really want a Sim City 2000 type game where you, corrupt mayor of Raccoon City, have to build a working metropolis around a number of secret underground biolabs and transport facilities without alerting the authorities (i.e. covering up virus outbreaks etc.) or letting down your sinister overlords in Umbrella Corporation (who will unleash a tyrant to take you out if you don't keep up with their development requests)

Edit: possible DLC could allow you to design gothic mansions and water treatment facilities to withstand S.T.A.R.S. infiltration by implementing absurdly complex security measures involving reordering bookshelves, playing sonatas and redirecting electrical currents

You just want Evil Genius but with a bit more Sim City.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

one of the screenshots made it look like she had it, but i wasnt really paying too close attention. it will probably be in.

That's a Glock.

Even the statue of Jill is gonna have her with it. What a weird decision. Maybe it's her personal gun and the Samurai Edge is at RPD? But even then, it looks like she's carrying a 19 which would have the same magazine capacity as the SE, so trying to pose it as an upgrade would be a bit weird.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

cargohills posted:

I know some people like them but I very much have my fingers crossed for no spiders. No way I'd be able to complete that part of the game.

Very much same.

It took me two hours and most of my resources to beat the section of Metro Last Light where you have to run into a spider den to flip a switch and that was mostly in dark and they were fake monster spiders. I can't even imagine playing a new RE game and having to deal with incredibly realistic tarantulas.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Is it just me or did the RE3 trailer feel a bit like, uncomfortably similar to that recent Tomb Raider game with how vulnerable it seemed to like making Jill?

Looot of her getting beat up for someone who's canonically super capable and already very well acquainted with all of Umbrella's horrowshow creations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gnoman posted:

One of the reasons that it annoys me is that the Glock is too good to be a "starter weapon" like Claire's little revolver in RE2make. If she starts with it in the full game, there's little reason to find the Beretta in the RPD or something and switch to it.

A Glock makes a lot of sense, especially if we want to assume it is her personal property instead of RPD issue. It just feels out of place in the series.

The Glock is a bog standard service pistol. The Samurai Edge is straight up a custom made, match tuned firearm that Jill's probably very comfortable with from extensive training on it. Practical reasons she absolutely has a motivation to switch over to it if she finds it, and game reasons you can probably easily represent it being an upgrade by having the precision aim be near instant, or upping the crit chance or something.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Baby-killer Redfield is real

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Armani Glasses posted:

Yeah, I feel there's no way that was anything other than "I'm going to shoot Mia dramatically for this scene in the trailer, then I'll tell you how she was actually super evil and I just saved your life." or some such.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video...light-mechanic/

quote:

This next rumour ventures into SPOILER territory, so if you havenít played RE7, steer clear. Mia and Ethan have a child. Due to the infection in Resident Evil VII, the child is deformed. They live in solitude in an attempt to hide their child. However, Chris Redfield breaks into Ethanís house, kills the child, and ultimately Mia, too.

It looks really likely it's going to be that. They're probably under heavy surveillance from nu-Umbrella because they're still infected (note the pill sheets that pop up at one point), but by having a child and going into hiding they proved they were a liability so Chris had to come and take them out before another incident occurs.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

'Lei' is the currency of Romania. So this is going to be a RE game set in rural Europe, following someone investigating a cult in a small village with an attached castle...

It's basically setting up to be RE4-2 and I'm totally okay with that

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

SO pissed this only coming out for the new consoles, which I will not be buying any time soon. Oh well. 4 years from now I'll pick up a used one and grab RE8 on the cheap like I did with RE7, Arkham Knight and 25 other games I found in flea markets and garage sales.

Patience, BiggerBoat. Patience everyone.

It's coming out for Windows too though

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

codo27 posted:

What kinda lies you think kids make up about fortnite and poo poo these days? I had the greatest hits edition of DC and my friend said that GH versions were always missing something, the original RE release you could play as Barry

There are dozens of youtube channels dedicated to that now, and one of them even gave a copy of Undertale to the Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.

Could also be that I was one of the few dummies who bought a Sega Saturn and was just psyched to have a new game to play that wasn't Virtual FIghter, NFL 2k or Crazy Taxi.

Don't you mean a Dreamcast?

Unless you somehow had a complete copy of the original beta for the Saturn