Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

So I've made the (probably foolish) decision to try and play through the Resident Evil series in order, for (or at least in lead up to) October and Halloween.

I've bought a few of the games on Steam. The one that I started and then dropped about a year ago was RE1Make. I didn't get very far (last thing I remember doing was trying to deal with some dogs out on the balcony in some scripted sequence, and dying to Crimson Heads).

I decided to try and play the original PS1 version of RE1 (more specifically, the Dual Shock version, on the 'Original' campaign). I ran through part of the right side of the starting areas, getting the cutscenes with the shotgun trap, and Barry giving you the acid rounds. I ran out of ammo, though, and then died to the zombies on the upper level of the dining room. I decided to start a new game, and see if I can get back to that point again. I also got the crest on the first floor of the dining room, so that might help me open doors I couldn't open previously.

I'm using an emulator, so I can make use of save states, but my big concern is figuring out where to go and whether I should kill enemies or not. My thought was to shoot every zombie I ran across, but I ran out of ammo quickly, so now I'm trying to slip past them. However, there are some areas where I know I'll have to take them out to get through without getting injured. As such, I worry about what enemies to shoot, and whether or not I should save if I screw up too badly, either by losing health or missing shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

There's a lot of high-traffic areas you'll constantly be walking through and want to clear out zombies, and others that you'll be through often but the rooms are big enough you can duck around the zombies and that's just how the first 4 (1-3 + Code Veronica) games are; if you're really struggling with ammo there's probably guides on which areas are the best to clear out for every game, or you could watch an LP of someone who knows what they're doing in the early parts of the mansion to get a general idea of which routes to take when you've got to loop back around. Once you make it to 4/5/6 + Revalations 1/2 you'll usually have enough ammo to kill everything along the way and the Knife becomes a pretty effective way to kill enemies. 7 Turns into Survival Horror again, and Remakes 2/3 you'll have plenty of ammo again, but probably won't have ammo to kill EVERY zombie in your path again.

My only other hands-on experience with RE was RE4 on the Wii, but that was years ago. I do remember the knife being pretty useful. Playing RE1, my thought was to use the knife to try and take out enemies on the ground when they go down, but that didn't really seem to pan out as I hoped. I ended up stashing the knife in the storage container, but maybe that's a bad move.

A big part of why I'm playing the older RE games is because I want to see how they compare to the remakes. RE1Make seems to be a mostly 1:1 conversion (save for the new content, which from what I read, was stuff that was meant to be in the original version), but RE2Make and RE3Make seem like pretty drastic overhauls, but I'm also not real familiar with the content of the original games.

man nurse posted:

I mean that’s the crux of survival horror. Resource management and how it ties in to fight or flight. You should not be killing everything you come across, but weigh your options.

If you're just starting out, though, you might think you have to take out every enemy that crosses your path, and that'll lead you to running out of ammo. Trying to run past them (at least in RE1 where the areas seem pretty constrained) always seemed more like a speed-running tactic rather than something you use for normal play.

Still, leaving enemies alive is wise, especially with the zombies in RE1Make. I knew about the Crimson Heads, and I figured out how to use the gas to burn them so they wouldn't come back, but then I realized the gas is limited, and I wouldn't have enough for all of them.

WaltherFeng posted:

Resident Evil games are pretty cleverly designed that there's usually just enough ammo take out enemies that are too hard to avoid while ignoring enemies that are too slow to get to you. That said you need to scavenge all the ammo you can find if you are new to the game.

I'll probably take a look at a guide, then, because while think I've identified a couple of areas where I need to take out enemies, I'm still not certain, because I don't know if it's better to save that ammo for later. I guess that that's the nerve-wracking part; even in places where combat seems necessary, I'm still uncertain, because I wonder if I'll need it later on for boss fights or whatnot. I also haven't run across any ammo pickups as of yet.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 30, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Well, I've made some considerable progress in RE1: Director's Cut. The guardhouse portion was a little nervewracking at first, but I really started enjoying it. I am finding, though, that I do need to clear out enemies in most of the rooms, because trying to dodge past them isn't really viable because of how little space there is. Even in the rec room, which is relatively large, I ended up getting cornered behind the pool table by the giant spiders, and had to shoot my way out. Still, it seemed like I was relatively flush with ammo, healing items, and ink ribbons.

Two big annoyances: first is the inventory system. I'm playing as Jill, so I get an extra two spaces, but having to juggle items gets a little tedious. I know you can combine herbs, but I've tried to keep them separate for the most part, because I don't know if I'll need them for when I reach the endgame. The second was the V-Jolt puzzle; not because of the puzzle itself (which is pretty easy to figure out), but rather the execution of it. Even if you figure out from the wall clues how to proceed, you can't interact with the chemicals until you find the V-Jolt report.

I kind of fumbled the Plant 42 fight. I figured the boss was dead after using the V-Jolt, so I ended up shotgunning it to death, nearly dying in the process.

I'm back in the mansion now and I'm...concerned. At this point, the Hunters replace the zombies, and my first attempt at fighting the Hunter ended with me dead (though my health was in the moderate range, so that might have been a contributing factor.) The guide I was looking at said to use the bazooka, and it works as a one-hit kill, but I have to check to see how much ammo I have for it. I remember picking up a few regular rounds for it, but it seems like most of what I have are the specialty rounds (acid and flame), which I don't think I should waste on them.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Based on what we see in multiple games they are apparently some form of spray.

Honestly based off what we know it seems like the most logical assumption is that First-Aid Sprays are just pre-mixed G+R Herbs sold for mass consumption and when you mix them yourself you're just do-it-yourselfing a remedy.

Lots of plants like aloe vera and such get used in ointments. I'm guessing the in-game logic is that you don't inhale the ground-up plant (as the joke goes), but rather apply it to your wounds like a salve or an ointment.

Medullah posted:

The only thing I wouldn't do is combine green herbs together (unless you're out of options). If you have a Green, Red and Blue herb there's almost no reason not to combine them to get the best healing/protection item. (One thing I had forgotten when I played RE2 and didn't remember until halfway through REmake was that adding the blue in not only removes poison but protects you from damage for a while)

Of course, you're not playing the game right if you don't hoard everything only to have a full item box at the end of the game

Well then I must be playing the game right, because the item box is getting pretty full.

I just wasn't sure if combining everything was a good idea. I thought maybe it was better to have a great quantity of healing items to patch my self up when it was critical, rather than consolidating them into a handful of super-items and potentially waste healing resources when I just need to patch myself up a little to make sure I survive a tough encounter. Then again, I got poisoned by one of those spiders, and once I used the blue plant, I was still at low health, so I guess it makes more sense to combine them. I was also curious about what Red+Blue would do together (sort of wondered if it was temporary immunity)

What sucks, though, is I wish I had done it sooner, because at this point, I'd have to double back through the courtyard to get a bunch of the herbs I couldn't carry. Most of them were at the start of the courtyard, but there were a couple left in the corridor leading to the guardhouse.

At this point, I'm more worried about going through the mansions again and dealing with the hunters. Loading up the game and looking at my total inventory, I've got 16 regular bazooka shots left, 12 acid rounds, and 6 flame rounds. I dunno if that's enough to deal with all the hunters. I imagine you can bypass some of them, but they move quick.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Amusingly enough the Japanese version of RE1 always has auto-aim, it got removed in the western version of the original.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a request by Capcom America to make the game harder to complete on a rental, the original dev team thought it was too hard

I've read about this, but I was surprised to find that the Director's Cut has what seems to be auto-aim (I'll pivot towards an enemy when aiming). I can't seem to find any footage of the original Japanese release of RE1, but I remember from a magazine screencap that the auto-aim would give you a reticle or something over the enemy. Then again, I might be mixing that up with Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for DS.

Speaking of which, how is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence? I don't recall how it fared critically, but it sounds like it added a lot of bonus stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

I enjoyed it enough, although the DS gimmicks ("Blow into the mic to give Richard CPR!") feel very forced. Thankfully there's an arrange mode of sorts on there that plays pretty authentically to the original experience without all the gimmicks, at which point it's just portable RE1 which is fine by me. Some of the knife stuff ends up rewarding you with item drops if you get a very high score which I guess takes a bit out of the difficulty curve?

Does it emulate well? I've not tried DS emulation, though I've always wondered how things like the microphone stuff work through emulation.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Question: when I finish Jill's campaign in RE1: Director's Cut, should I then play through Chris' campaign? From what I've read, it sounds like you have to jump through more hoops in Chris' campaign, in that you lose two inventory spaces, need to find small keys instead of using a lockpick, and you need Rebecca to solve certain puzzles. The trade-off is that Chris has more health and can run faster, and can score more critical hits, which I imagine means he needs less ammo.

It sounds like it's more tedious than Jill's campaign, but is it recommened/suggested to get the full Resident Evil experience?

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

This is the only reason to play Chris in RE1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2djNORNfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzdl4QhIh0M

Vikar Jerome posted:

better version of chris re1 og is barrymod.

I need more details on this.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Oh wow! It's a mod for the PC version of Resident Evil. I didn't think that would work on Windows 10, but I was able to download the mod, unzip it, and run it. The default keyboard controls are iffy, but I should be able to get the gamepad set up with it. You can also skip door transitions.

Looking at the version info (from trying to figure out the keys and hitting the F1 key), it apparently uses a mod called 'Classic REBirth'. Looks like there are also patches for RE2 and Dino Crisis (and the RE2 prototype, strangely).

It seems like there's actually a lot of mods for the Resident Evil games. I think I saw one other day that recreates RE1 in RE4. Are there any others worth checking out for the classic games? (I'm aware of the like two hundred Mr.X and costume mods for the RE2Make and RE3Make)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 9, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Chrisposting is my favorite thing about RE right now and some of the songs on YouTube and such are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlU76wEc33k

Been waiting for a chance to post this.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I also support Leon x Ada.

Although everybody ships Leon with everybody. They teased him with Ashley who will never show up again. They teased him with Angela who will never show up again. And maybe others after that(my last RE was 5 and Degeneration).

Dude is a chick magnet. But all along he had eyes only for Ada.

https://twitter.com/heavywoodenbox/...5213825?lang=en

Vikar Jerome posted:

uhhhhhhh slow plodding enemies lol have you only see vids of that one type because you might be in for a shock. its an 100% an RE game.

I've not seen that much of RE7, but what I have seems very atypical of what I expect from Resident Evil. The first-person perspective makes it seem like they were trying for something more like Amnesia or any number of the FPP horror games that have come out in the last several years, and there was nothing real iconic that was shown off in major (Umbrella, STARS, any returning characters or monsters, etc.).

Again, though, I've not seen that much, so I'm sure the typical RE stuff is in there, but when it was first shown off, I thought maybe Capcom was doing some kind of reboot. From what I've heard, the game is pretty solid, and is more of a survival-horror game than RE5 or RE6 was.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Well, I finished Jill's scenario in RE1:DC on the Original campaign.

Five-and-a-half hours and fourteen saves isn't too bad, right?

Overall, I really liked the game; moreso than I was really expecting to. Once you've cleared certain areas of enemies or made it so you can dodge enemies safely, it plays like an adventure game, where you're sorting out puzzles and reading through files on what happened. I followed a walkthrough, but a lot of the puzzles aren't that difficult. The bosses were also a lot easier than I expected (although the fight with Tyrant on the helipad was sort of annoying).

In terms of my issues with it, again the biggest issue was the inventory. Even when you take it into account, it can still be a chore swapping items around. There are some irritating quirks to it. For example, I found I couldn't load specialty rounds into the bazooka if the clip was full. What I wish you could do was drop items on the ground if you have a full inventory if you want to, say, pick up another herb and combine it wit another.

Also, despite following a walkthrough, it seemed like there were a few points where you'd wouldn't necessarily know to get something or check something. The MO disks aren't super-hard to figure out, but they seem sort of out-of-the-way and easy-to-miss (then again, they're optional items that affect the ending, so I guess that makes sense). The fountain you put the medals in to open the path to the lab also doesn't have anything to indicate you can interact with it.

I did my best to dodge enemies, but I also took a lot of them out, and I never found that I was running really low on ammo. However, when you return to the mansion, getting around is a lot harder with the Hunters replacing most of the zombies. It gets worse when you get to the labs, where the central area has the naked zombies that respawn, and the Chimeras who swipe you when heading through the electrical section. I suppose it's just frustrating because you want to conserve ammo, but avoiding enemies can be sketchy, and then you end up burning through your health items.

At this point, I'm not sure whether to play Chris's campaign, or move on to RE2. At the moment, I thought about playing Chris' campaign on Beginner difficulty to make things a bit easier. I don't know that much about RE2, but it sounds like it's really long, and that's not counting the alternate campaigns for each character. There also RE1Make, but I think I want to play the games in release order, so going from RE1Make to RE2Classic would be jarring.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dunno, i went through 2 and 3 with the upscaler mod and it was like watching a moving painting. it "hides" the item pickups like it did on a crt too while still being all hires.

i would actually say just play chris if you feel like it or not, might give cv more a meaning. re2 isnt that long either, about the same as it took you for jill but on each a and b. also ignore people who tell you to ignore 6.

or when you get to playing the remake, do what i do when i replay everything, play jill remake first, then re0, then chris remake, that works wonders. but yeah save re0 and remake for later, release order is good if its a first time.

I actually just picked up RE0 from Chrono.GG the other day.

I know 5 and 6 aren't the most popular, but I'm still curious about them. Going to wait until they go on sale before I pick them up, though.

Is there a definitive version of Code Veronica? There's a few different releases for it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Strangely enough, I think it actually makes the game look worse at times. The thing about those AI upscalers is that they're good at making flat textures, but bad at inventing detail. With the low-res textures in the original, it's somehow easier to pretend to yourself that there is more detail than you can see. With the upscale, there visibly isn't, and it just makes everything feel flat and sterile.

Going through the comparison images on the RESHDP site, everything looks a lot sharper, but when you compare some smaller details between the two, you can tell some details get garbled or contorted. The thing that sticks out to me particularly is that light sources and the areas around them seem to be overly bright or washed out. Some of the highlights also make it looks like they ran it through a Sharpen filter one too many times. The do mention down in the description that the process isn't perfect, and is still being worked on.

It's still pretty impressive, especially since there's no way to access the original 3D renderings (if they even still exist.)

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Looking on YouTube a bit, I found there's a ton of cutscenes for Jill's campaign that I didn't get. There's one where he's out by Forrest's body, and another where you can hear him talking to Wesker in the guardhouse. Is there a guide on what you have to do to get those scenes, or is it random?

Also (and this may be a stupid question), but is there a reason why the game asks you if you want to discard a key once you've unlocked everything you can with it? Best to my knowledge, there's no reason to keep keys, and hanging onto them takes up an inventory slot. The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to just automatically dispose of it once it unlocked everything, since the player might miss the message, and wonder if they had lost the key somehow.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The partner scenes in RE1 are based on the order in which you do stuff in the mansion. So, if you get the "Jill Sandwich" scene, Barry won't also show up to give you free acid rounds. I forget which scenes cancel out others because I think they switched a few around in the REmake, and my memories of all the different versions of RE1 get jumbled up in my head.

I think in every test run I did, Barry gave me Acid Rounds every time I did the 'Jill Sandwich' scene (or at least on save where I went through that scene). I guess I'll have to try exploring different rooms in a different order to see what happens.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I musta got that mixed up, too. Maybe its the Acid Rounds scene that cancels out the Forrest scene?

From a real quick run, I tried going through the west wing of the mansion, then went to the terrace with Forrest, and Barry was there. I then tried going through the east wing from top-to-bottom. However, the door next to the save room is locked, so I had to go back and run through the dog hallway and such to get back there. I tried getting the shotgun, but Barry doesn't save you, and you die.

What I find interesting (and I wonder if this is intentional) is that in the cutscene where Wesker disappears, you're directed towards the door on the opposite side from the dining room. If you're new to the game, and you follow those directions and explore through the east half, then you'll probably end up triggering the 'Jill Sandwich' scene, which allows you to get the shotgun early without having to switch it out, and you get the scene where Barry gives you the Acid Rounds (regardless if you exit into the main hall from the 1st or second floor). From there, you can nab the Bazooka.

Additionally, if you try to leave back out into the main hall from the start, then after a couple of scenes, the first zombie will automatically leave the room. However, when I went to check Kenneth, he had no ammo which he does if you find the zombie and return to Barry.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 15, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

anything with the X in title. the gamecube versions or the ps2 classics version on the ps4, which is the original ps2 version. theres a ps3/x360 version thats a port to a modern engine of the time in true widescreen that makes things darker with new lighting. the cutscenes suffer with framerate tho, at least on my ps3 anyway and last time i played i had a hard time seeing anything, like missing herb pickups, but then again, turns out my display wasnt calibrated right anyway so your milage may vary. they have everything in it tho.

the X version has expanded cutscenes and ending and a new haircut for one character, over the dreamcast original.

I guess then I can either try picking up the PS2 Classic on PS4 version, or try to emulate the GameCube version through Dolphin, as it looks like it emulates relatively well with the latest version.

Vikar Jerome posted:

you kinda have to go against the obvious path, i got barry with forest scene a few times. you kinda have to ignore muscle memory and do things out of the order i feel like most people did. its cool they did it this way tho.

its to do with how many times you enter the main hall and if/if not you let barry save you or you got the shotgun the other way. he can also turn up in the bee room or not and a lot of other moments to make you think hes the bad guy. that saving jill plus waiting for a rope from it effects the ending to boot.

I was checking the GameFAQs page for RE1 today during my free time at work, and someone made flowcharts demonstrating what criteria you need to meet to get certain scenes ([url="[https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/19...inema-flowchart"]the flowchart for Chris[/url], and the flowchart for Jill; they're just images, but I didn't want to post them because they're extremely long)

As it turns out, picking up the chemical is the trigger for the cutscene where Barry gives you the Acid Rounds, and you can read the entirety of the Researcher's Will if you find it before you find Richard. The scene where Rebecca is attacked by the Hunter also varies depending on where you first find her. If you find her in the save room, then that's where she gets attacked later, but if you find her with Richard, then she gets attacked in the room with the botany book. The time it takes for you get the Serum back to Chris also affects whether she'll follow you to the guardhouse or not.

-

Here's another weird/dumb question: there was an old animation video I remember where there was a joke about how at the end of RE1, when Brad throws Jill the rocket launcher, he shouts, "You're an Amazon, Jill!" At that time, I don't think I had seen all of RE1, so I thought it was joke about the audio quality (i.e. he actually says, 'you're amazing, Jill', but it ends up muddled or something). However, that's what I thought I heard too, and the game script I looked at says that as well. Was that a translation goof or something? Searching for 'resident evil jill amazon' only gets me Amazon.com links for RE products, among other things.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 16, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

site posted:

Speaking of triggers, in remake I've played it through like 7 or 8 times since I got it in March and still can't remember how to trigger the vjolt mixing side quest lol

In RE1Classic, I found I couldn't do anything until I specifically found the report on V-Jolt. Dunno if it's the same in REMake.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Resident Evil Village - 2nd Trailer | PS5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7paVdAx3cjE

Like with RE7, I'm sure there's still stuff in the game from other RE title (Chris is in it, and I'm sure the big monster things are infected with some flavor of T-Virus), but tonally, it doesn't seem like a RE game. It feels like it's lacking in that campy goofiness.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong in holding up things like "Jill Sandwich" and "your left hand comes off?" as core elements of series' identity.

The shots of the castle and make it look like you're going to Cainhurst Castle from Bloodborne. The animation for the story looks like it was done by Henry Selick.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree there. Crappy 90s translation snafus and cheesy action movie one-liners may have become pretty integral to the mood of the series, at least in the mind of many fans, but thinking you'd see that sort of thing in a trailer is really a case of mistaken expectations. That has never been the case for any previous titles, either.

Admittedly, I've not seen that many of the RE trailers, but that makes sense. The trailer just makes me think the game's going to be on the grim and depressing side, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

-

Anyway, the Resident Evil games are on sale right now on Steam.

RE4, RE5 & RE6 are in a bundle for about $15, but there's also a Collector's Pack bundle that come with those three, the two Revelation games, and a lot of the DLC for about $44.

I'm looking to scoop up everything I don't have (RE5, RE6, RE7 and RE3Make). I already have a few things that are in the bundle (RE4, and Revelations 1 & 2 standalone), so the price is slightly lower ($11 for the 4+5+6 bundle, and $36 for the Collector's Pack bundle). However, I was curious about the DLC.

Most of the Revelations DLC looks like it's just weapons and customization bits (most all of which have an overall 'Mixed' rating), but there's also the two character DLCs (Rachael Ooze and Lady HUNK), which have aggregate 'Positive' rating and look interesting.

For Revelations 2, there's the other episodes, along with costumes and characters for Raid Mode. I don't know what Raid Mode is, but there's also like nine 'storage' DLCs for it as well. RERevelations2 I got for dirt cheap, but I haven't played it yet. (Nor have I played anything else in the pack)

There's the Untold Stories DLC for Resident Evil 5, which I know nothing about, but it the reviews make it sound like it's pretty good.

Finally, RE7 comes in a 'Gold' Edition that comes with a season pass. Again, I know nothing about the DLC for it.

I've already got RE1Make and RE2Make, and I just picked up RE0 the other day. The DLC for RE2Make and RE3Make just seem to be for getting all unlockables at the start, and skins for the multiplayer mode. RE6 has DLC, but none of it looks interesting. There's also Operation Racoon City and Umbrella Corps, but it sounds like those are both garbage.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Doomykins posted:

The best DLC for RE2Make is free. Ghost Survivors are really good once you are familiar with base game RE2Make and want to see how good you are at the combat. The soundtrack has unique tracks that are definite bangers. The DLC for RE3Make is very irrelevant because a bit more than minimal game clearing will give you infinite weapons if you want them.

Resident Evil 7 DLC is hit or miss. Luckily this is a pretty good sale if you don't already have any of the DLC or RE7 itself. Not A Hero is a post-game chapter that is free so give it a whirl after the main game. End of Zoe is also a post-game chapter that is good and can be purchased alone. Daughters is a short prequel chapter but probably functions better played after RE7 itself. Those are the best ones, the rest are hit or miss, depending on how much you reaaaaaally want mini games or RE7 combat, which isn't really the games strongest suit. Nightmare and Ethan Must Die are extra combat challenges. Jack's Birthday is a wacky extra combat challenge. Bedroom is a weird, interesting puzzle. 21 is a stand alone card game, like black jack and being in a Saw trap.

End of Zoe is $6 alone but included in the season pass. The gold edition or base game + season pass is $10 + 10, so for $4 you'll probably get a kick out of those six extra features. Less than a dollar a try and you just might enjoy more than one.

I couldn't find a listing for Ghost Survivors on Steam, but from a search, it was part of an update for.

I think I might just get RE7 standalone, and see how I like it before I get the DLC. Since I'm trying to play them in order, it might be a while before I get to it.

Is there anything I should know about the Revelations games? I thinking about getting the Collector's pack with all the DLC, but I don't know that much about Revelations. The only thing I've heard about it recently is that it doesn't have zombies, just the BOWs, which is interesting.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The second one is very good and features Barry Burton as a playable character. The first one, not so much.

Should I get the Collector Pack with all the DLC then? There's a discount with the bundle, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't know what the Raid Mode packs do.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 18, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Raid mode is basically a wave-based action-RPG mode, with loot, leveling, stats and skills, different character classes, etc. It depends on whether you think that would be interesting to you. Personally, I couldn't really get into it, but some people think it's the best part of the game.

It sounds sort of interesting. I think I'll get the bundle and RE7. I want to get RE3Make too, but that kicks the price up from $45 to $75, and that's before tax.

Although in saying that, I might end up changing my mind and buy RE3Make separately tomorrow. Ideally, I should maybe wait until I play RE3Classic before I buy RE3Make, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Iíve only played the remakes of 1 (with the new controls lol), 2 and 3. I just canít hang with tank controls.

I got through the original version of 1 as Jill without too much fuss, but then I was following a guide. Still, I didn't have too much trouble getting around and taking out enemies. I dunno, maybe by the time I get to the end of RE2Classic, I'll be of a different mind, but I don't really have an huge issue with tank controls.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Revelations 1 is still good, don't listen to what Goons say. It's a really enjoyable solo player experience. Revalations 2 has a better story but much like 5, it's better than it has any business being if you play couch co-op.

RE2 Remake is still worth $60 because it's such a fun loving game with tons of replay value and the DLC just expands on it and tests how good you really are.

RE3 remake is just a one and done experience. There's no branching paths or alternate characters to play so the peak is just Bitch can't even swim

I've already got RE2 Remake. I just want to play the original first to compare.

As dumb as it sounds, RE3 Nemesis is the one that I've wanted to play for the longest time. I think it's because I remember seeing it on a kiosk at an Electronics Boutique years ago. I've heard it's the weakest of the original trilogy and the Remakes, but that doesn't really deter me.

Couch co-op for Revelations 2 and RE5 I don't think is real viable for me. Even if I could get a comfortable setup around my PC, I don't really have anyone to join me for co-op. I thought about asking my dad, since he like the RE movies, and hasn't played any of the games, but I imagine he would struggle with it.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Well, what started as test run for Chris in RE1 ended up as a whole run.

I fumbled about here and there, so I ended up being over-par for the time needed to unlock one of the special items. Six saves isn't actually accurate; I ended up using save states for the run.

I thought the layout would be mostly identical to Jill's, but I noticed that there were some zombies and other enemies that showed up in areas I wasn't expecting. Zombies actually seemed a bit harder to kill than with Jill, thought I don't know if that's because they have more health, or because I just wasn't as good with aiming and positioning (I thought Chris had a higher likelihood to hit enemies with critical damage).

The section that gave me the most trouble (and most deaths) was the 2nd fight with Yawn, because it's hard to dodge him when he coils up and you get trapped in a corner. At least he doesn't poison you during the second round. The flamethrower weapon feels kind of half-baked (rimshot), but then it seems like it's meant to be more of a puzzle item than an actual weapon.

Overall, I didn't enjoy quite as much as Jill's campaign, but it was still pretty good. Switching off to play as Rebecca was interesting, and Chris's lines are pretty fun

quote:

*Chris and Rebecca beat Plant 42*

Rebecca: "Oh! I can't believe it! Are you okay?"

Chris: "Yeah! So much for him! We got to the 'root' of the problem!"

Interestingly, when clicked away from Chris's end results screen, I got this message.

I thought maybe you got this for finishing the game with both Jill and Chris, but from a quick search, it sound like you just get from beating the game as Chris (I guess since his campaign is the Hard Mode).

-

Since I didn't finish the game under three hours, I ended up downloading save games with the special items unlocked, which were on the Arrange Mode. I didn't run through the whole game, but some of the new camera angles I thought looked better than the ones in the the original campaign, but it seems like for the most part, everything's switched up, and there are more enemies.

I guess now I can move on to RE2.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 20, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If one can enjoy that kind of game I maintain itís the best of the bunch before REmake and even then Iíd consider it a tie.

Though if it wasnít for itís weird puzzles Dino Crisis would be on top.

By the way Max Wilco you should definitely play Dino Crisis. Itís Resident Evil in everything but name.

I think I bought Dino Crisis on PSN, I just never got around to playing it.

RealFoxy posted:

Beyond Dino Crisis and Silent Hill, Parasite Eve is kinda similar except combat is more RPG based.

Parasite Eve I remember watching a LP on YouTube years ago, but I thought about giving it a run-through.

Parasite Eve 2 I remember hearing some mixed things about. I don't think any of it was bad, just that it wasn't as good as the first.

-

Honestly, my plan was to check out a bunch of PS1 survival horror games, though mostly the obscure ones (Hellnight, The Note, Countdown Vampires, etc.).

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

site posted:

For years as a kid I would swear up and down that there was a room I had seen where you could use a key after the game tells you you can safely discard it and you would get an item but they just want you to know you're done with it

It could be that I just had it stowed away, but I think might be the case, as I think I disposed of the Armor key despite not opening one of the doors in the hallway where the shotgun trap is. It's not a critical area though; just the balcony with a bunch of green herbs.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Not enough love in here for Fatal Frame since we're talking recommendations

I forgot about the Fatal Frame games. Looks like they're on PS3 through PSN, and it looks like they emulate fairly well. I've not seen that much of them, but I remember the main thing you do is photograph ghosts.

-

I started Resident Evil 2 last night with Leon, and made to the point where you get the golden gear in the press room.

Moving from RE1 to RE2, I find that the game is a lot faster with everything; you move faster, menus and dialog messages animate faster, and zombies seem to move faster.

Zombies seem like they're a lot harder to deal with. They seem to tank handgun bullets a lot more than in RE1, and there's a lot more of them to deal with. What I do like, though, is that you can wrestle out of their grasp faster, and when you knock one over, it can potentially knock down a whole group of them. Shotgun shots don't seem to score headshots at close range, but maybe you have to aim up or something.

I ended up checking a guide not too far into the police station (seems like you waste time and supplies by not taking the route past the storage box first). I am glad I did, because I found out that choices between the machine gun/item pack affect the game when you move on to play as Claire. From what I gleaned, it sounds like most of the game takes place in the police station, which is a little disappointing, as I thought the game would be spread out through more locations in the city.

I'm absolutely sure this joke has been made before, but I find it funny that seemingly few people at the Racoon City Police Department thought it was odd that that the police headquarters is based out of three-story, building with a clock tower and an oddly labyrinthine layout, situated adjacent to the sewage treatment plant. At least a couple of people (based on the files I've found so far) found it odd that the decor is made up of weird statues and artwork that work on mechanisms.

Just to be clear, I'm not really putting that forth as a criticism; I get that it's set up like that so that the game has puzzles and obstacles that are creative, and the police station is basically RE2's version of the Spencer Mansion. I dunno, the police station just seems a bit more out there in comparison.

I will say that at this point, I'm real interested to see how RE2Make replicates everything, but since I'm trying to play the games in release order, it'll be a while before I get to it.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Experiment with aiming up for shotgun decapitations, it might vary from game to game but seems to be good advice for classic REs. And the police station set up is a long running series in-joke, you usually find files depending on Classic or Remake that the Chief is eccentric/crazy and it was formerly a museum.

I do like that there's a file that gives a justification as to why ammo is scattered all around.

I didn't pick up on the museum thing, but maybe it's in one of the later files. It does sort of explain why the layout is like it is, and the statues.

Kibayasu posted:

Aiming up with a shotgun at close range is an instant decapitation on all zombies in the original RE games. Don’t remember if it applied in CV.

However I think just shooting RE1 zombies at close range at middle height with a shotgun just exploded their heads anyways. Probably just a way to do something cool and gross for letting a zombie get really close to kill them in one shot. RE2 upgraded that to occasionally cutting a zombie in half at the waist but leaving their top half alive. You have to aim up at close range to get the guaranteed instant kill in RE2.

There’s just so much ammo in RE2 (or maybe I’ve just memorized where all of it is) that I don’t ever remembering noticing if the zombies were tougher or not. Being able to stumble them backwards also helps to maintain distance.

RE1 did let me decapitate zombies with the shotgun at level-stance in a single shot at close range, which was fun (seemed like it was easier with Jill than Chris, but ).

The issue I have with aiming up is that it always seems like I'm aiming above the head and missing my shots. I tried it with the pistol, but maybe you can't get headshots with the pistol (would make dealing with groups of zombies a lot less wasteful). I'll have to try it with the shotgun next time I play.

That something else I meant to bring up: there doesn't seem to be auto-aim in the same way as RE1:DC. It seems like you just have to be pointing in the general direction of the enemy, and you can score hits. I actually took out the two lickers in the basement because of how the shots register.

Ammo and ink ribbons seems to be hidden about in the rooms more than they were in RE1, sometimes in places you wouldn't think to look (like behind the statue upstairs from the dark room, or by those crates in the storage room with the statutes on the wall). I dunno if the walkthrough I'm following outlines every pickup, so I could be missing a few things. I know wasted a bunch of shots trying to take out the dogs down in the basement.

-

Moving outside of RE2 for a moment, I'm writing down a checklist of RE games in chronological order. Apart from debating whether or not I should play RE: Survivor or not, I realized I had forgotten about Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2. Are those two worth checking out? I was under the impression they were purely online games.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I think it's in the secretary's diary in the office on the east side of the second floor. OG '98 Irons was a dual classed art fanatic/serial killer, which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the RPD set up shop in a decommissioned museum in the first place.

I found that one, which mentioned all his weird art collecting, and questions how he's able to pay for it. I missed the museum part in it, though.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I think controller Type C has the auto-aim function enabled. It's been a while since I touched RE2 vanilla though.
I'll have to check to see which controller type I have enabled. It's probably the default. I haven't really missed shots.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also there's no bathrooms in the RPD. Unless they too are locked behind some absurd hidden puzzle we're not privy to in our playthrough.

Medullah posted:

"For God's sake Chief, I don't have time to move paintings around to open the door every time I have to poo poo!"

See, that's what gets me, because in the Spencer Mansion, I can buy that architect was some weirdo who designed it with weird locking mechanisms, secret passages, deathtraps, etc. (There are mansions in real-life that are like that, though maybe sans the deathtraps). It's still not clear why Umbrella chose the mansion to operate out of, or how they functioned daily (the files make it seem like there was staff living in the mansion and guardhouse, but how they got down to the lab frequently isn't really clear when the only entrance seems to be the fountain. At least the guardhouse had multiple bathrooms.) Still, it's not something that really clicks until you stop and think about it.

With the police station, though, you've got to find the keys scattered throughout the station (and over in the sewer) to make it into areas like the press room, the interrogation room, the lounge, etc. It's like, was it always like this, or did the chief go, "oh poo poo" when he realized S.T.A.R.S was onto him, and so he set the whole thing up like a week before the game starts to try and impede people?

Again, I'm not trying to tear the game down with this. If the game was just set up where you shot like one zombie and got a keyring with everything you needed to get everywhere, it'd be boring. It's just kind of funny to think about.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 21, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just got a new laptop (admittedly it's not designed for gaming) and it's having some trouble with HD Remaster. The game seems to run in slow motion sometimes.

I searched around and found some unofficial patches, but I'm a little hesitant because I'm new to PC games.

Anyone have this issue with the port? Any recommended settings to fiddle with?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 10
RAM: 16 GB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7

Is your laptop plugged in? I know that sounds like a patronizing question, but if you're running off of battery power, that can sometimes affect game performance (at least it did on mine.)

I don't know much about AMD hardware (or Intel hardware, for that matter), but the specs sound pretty solid. Maybe try disabling shadows if you can. I think rendering shadows is what takes up a lot of performance power.

There's a Bug Report thread for HD Remaster on Steam, so you could ask there, or maybe check to see if someone else has a similar issue. https://steamcommunity.com/app/3042...55136053857025/

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 22, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

*Capcom USA's Marketing Department, circa 2001*
"We need to make an ad for Code Veronica X. What do we have for a budget and materials?"
"Uh, we've got fifteen dollars, an un-finalized thumbnail of the game's cover and a couple of stock photos we took from K-Mart frames."
"Hmmm...okay, I think I can make this work."

Seriously, though, was that cover actually used? Just an intense close-up up Claire's face?

Vikar Jerome posted:

uhh its more "life is fun and sweet because CVX IS OUR MOST SICKIST FILTH YET"

"You wanna do wussy crap like hang out with you dad and blow bubbles on a bright sunny day? #@$& NO! You wanna play some screwed-up and hardcore, like Resident Evil: Code Veronica X! It's got zombies, prisons, mutant insects, and a Canadian guy with two golden Lugers."

It must have been fun to be a copy writer for gaming magazines back then.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Wanderer posted:

No, that's a magazine ad for the PAL version; it's the PAL cover of CVX and it says "Capcom Europe" in the corner.

British magazines in the early 2000s were a super trip and a half, man.

Oh, well then just take what I wrote, and replace 'dollars' with 'euros' and 'KMart' with... I dunno, ASDA?

-

Anyway, I finished Leon's campaign in RE2.

I dunno if a C-Rank is really bad, or on par for your first time through. I thought to check my time between this and my run through RE1 as Jill, and I also had 14 saves. The game gives you a lot Ink Ribbons, and there's not much distance between typewriters. I probably could have skipped a couple, but I was worried about dying and having to go through cutscenes again. My time was an hour over the par for

I was worried about the game being harder than RE1, but I made it through to the end just fine. Admittedly, I was using a walkthrough, so that might have made it so I didn't have to backtrack as much, and thus, I was able to conserve ammo and healing items. The issue with following the walkthrough, though, is that I think I ended up skipping over a few (probably inconsequential) things. I found a cord in the police station, which I figured would connect to the shutter controls for the windows, but the guide never said anything about using them. I also found a flamethrower in the Umbrella lab, but I never picked it up.

One of the things that amused me was how when Annette confronts Ada, and brings up the connection from RE1, citing how that was his password. I find it funny because A.) John's password was apparently common knowledge, and B.) none of the other Umbrella staff took issue with the fact that one of researchers secured his computer* vital for the biochemical weapons with a three-character password.

I am curious, though, as to how Ada, with a gunshot wound added atop earlier injuries, managed to survive that fall and make it into future games.

The only parts I found to be difficult was fighting Birkin. The fight with him on the descending train was a little annoying because it seems like he can corner you pretty well (though I suppose it depends on what side of him you run past). The first stage of the final fight with him is easy, since with the upgraded magnum, he takes like three shots. The second stage, though, was a little more dicey, since he can leap at you, and it seems like it's harder to line up shots at certain angles.

I think I might have screwed up with the save files, because when I got to the save menu after the stats screen, I saved over my file, thinking that it would be the endgame save for Leon. However, it overwrote that save with the Claire B save, so I don't know if I screwed up by not putting that on a separate file.

Regardless, I switched discs and started Claire's B game (I'm guessing that conversely, if you start a new game as Claire and beat the game, Leon also gets a "B" game that's different). I must have been getting tired at that point, because I ended up running into a couple of zombies and getting hit by crows and lickers trying to make it into the police station proper. I had my first run-in with the dreaded Mr.X. I had actually been wondering why I hadn't run into him earlier, and then I realized he probably only shows up in the subsequent run. I knew when he was coming up, since I was following the guide, but even with the grenade launcher prepped and acid rounds loaded, taking him down felt sketchy. I thought he would literally follow you through every room, and you just had to keep moving, but apparently not. I guess he either only shows up at set intervals, or he disappears if you "defeat" him.

Claire substitute for the shotgun, the bow-gun, is weird. At first, I was confused why I seemed to be spending more ammo than I was shooting, and then I realized that it seems to shoot an arrow for every enemy that's in front of you. Even then, it seems like it will either stun them slightly, or completely neutralize them. I guess ideally, you launch an arrow into one, then finish it off with the pistol.

I finally ran into Chief Irons. He's...pretty much what I expected.

*Something I just remembered. One nice touch I liked about RE1 was during the bit where you need to enter the computer password to unlock the doors, because depending on who you're playing, they make a different gesture to confirm the doors have been unlocked

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

The bow gun fires 3 bolts in a spread pattern for every shot. So the 18 in the inventory screen is actually only 6. Since itís a spread pattern the only way to get all 3 bolts into something is at close range but that will kill a zombie in 1 hit.

Up until REmake2 the ďcanonĒ run was Claire A/Leon B because of reasons such as Ada. Besides item placement thereís some significant differences in how everything plays out at the end compared to Leon A/Claire B.

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes and you should also do this because its a different game/story mostly in the back half. its also long been considered that claire A - leon B is the "canon" or closet to canon events.

I guess I just did Leon first, because he was on Disc 1.

Regardless, I guess I'm not going to be done with RE2 as soon as I thought.

site posted:

okay but what about their thoughts on circumcision

Had I not spent the other day watching Justin Whang videos, I'd have no idea what this was referring to.

Policenaut posted:

Welcome to my TED Talk, I'm Policenaut and today I'd like to begin my presentation of why Silent Hill 2 was so good that it ultimately killed the franchise.

I call it Final Fantasy 7 Syndrome.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How the gently caress is combat data actually worth anything? Are there hidden cameras everywhere? Who uses this poo poo outside of Umbrella or it's many proxies?

Resident Evil's camera angles finally explained.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

The Resident Evil games are on sale on Steam again this weekend. Trying to decide if I want to pick up RE3Make this time. Didn't think it would be on sale again so soon.

The tread posted:

Resident Evil 3 & Code Veronica

RE3 is the one I've wanted to play for the longest time for whatever reason. It sounds like it's not as expansive as the previous two games. Based on what I've heard, it sounds like you only really play through it once, and you've experienced everything. However, at this point, that doesn't really sound that bad. I like how RE2 is a lot bigger than it first appears, but at the same time, it seems like you have to retread a lot of ground, since you effectively have to play each character twice to get the whole package (not counting the unlockable campaigns with HUNK and Tofu, provided you can unlock those). RE3 sounds a little more straightforward, but what I'm worried is that I might start getting burned out by the time I reach it.

As for Code Veronica, I remember reading the LP for it in the archive not too long ago, but I don't really remember a whole lot from it. You mess around on the island, there's some puzzles, you take a plane to the arctic, Eh, Steve! gets attacked by his zombie dad, then turned into a mutant, and...that's about it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 26, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

As fun as it sounds, my issue is that I don't have anybody to join me for couch co-op, so I'll either have to do it single-player, or do online co-op once I get to RE5 and RE6.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Claire's B Scenario is done.

Around a half-hour faster than Leon A with two fewer saves for a B rank. I used a single first aid spray, which probably tanked my score a bit.

This run...I dunno. I felt like it was a lot harder than the Leon A run, but maybe the B run is always harder. Mr. X wasn't as relentless as I expected, but run-ins with him were a little nerve-wracking; he moves slow, but it seems like you always deal with him in cramped locations. I feel like I took a lot more damage, and had a lot more deaths. There was a point where I was down to 'DANGER' level health, and I was limping through the parking garage with dogs chasing me. I thought I was going to die, but by some miracle, I managed to make it.

The grenade launcher doesn't feel as powerful as the bazooka was in RE1, and it feels harder to aim and line up shots compared to Leon's shotgun. The big annoyance was trying to deal with Super Lickers in the Umbrella lab. Apart from some non-ideal camera angles, the grenade launcher doesn't have the same kind of stun effect that the shotgun did (at least from what I remember), so I had to resort to hitting a Super Licker and then aiming the grenade launcher at my feet to spam shots before it could hit me too many times. Even the zombies in the Umbrella lab don't always seem to go down, unless it's a direct hit.

The boss fights with Birkin on the train, and the final fight with Mr. X I also had issues with. BIrkin's fight (in his 3th transformation I think) has a really quick hit combo, so if you get unlucky, he can chew through your health real fast. It's the first time playing where I found the tank controls to be a pain, because it's hard to get your shots in, then turn and run away. It could be that I was letting him get too close, but it seemed like getting too far away would trigger his jumping attack.

The final fight with Mr. X seems to just be a recreation of the final fight with Tyrant at the end of RE1, but the arena isn't quite as open, and he seems, I dunno, faster or more aggressive. I burned through health items during the Tyrant fight om RE1, but it seems like it was easier to get into a pattern of dodging his charges.

I guess next is to do Claire A/Leon B, since that's the 'canon' route. I'm wondering if I can improve on my runs, but I don't know if I'll be able to qualify for any of the unlockables. I imagine I could maybe cut down the number of saves, and I made some mistakes where I had to backtrack which cost me some time. Getting a time under 3 hours seems somewhat doable, but I don't know about getting a time under two-and-a-half hours; it seems like even if you did everything optimally, you'd still be cutting it real close. Trying to beat the game without saving also sounds insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Calling any route in the early RE games "canon" is probably a bit of a misnomer because the canon outcome of the games tends to involve things that are can't be true in either of the game scenarios at the same time. People say that Claire A/Leon B is canon because Sherry got infected, which only happens in Claire A, but in Resident Evil 1 you get a canon outcome that no ending which is actually in the game would fit into.

I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about it. In the end, Capcom will go what they will go with.

Should I still do Claire A/Leon B for the sake of it, then, or move on to RE3? Regardless if it's canon, I don't know if I missing out by doing another run-through. Claire A sounds like it's pretty easy.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 30, 2020