Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wanderer posted:

No, there's some math under the hood that genuinely makes Claire B the hardest default scenario in the game. She has slightly less health, a distinctly worse arsenal, and doesn't get the free 100% heal from Ada in the sewers. While the bowgun isn't quite as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, you still don't lose out on anything to speak of if you simply never pick it up. On paper, Claire's specialized grenade rounds ought to give her an edge over Leon's raw type-less damage output, but it doesn't count for as much as you might think, particularly when you're trying to get your overall time down.

I'm actually getting to really hate the bowgun, because on my Claire A run, I tried taking down a Licker who was slashing my heels, but even while aiming down, the shots kept missing. Of course, it was in the one area where I seem to screw up the most, that being the basement of the police station.

I've tried being a bit more gutsy on this run, though, which is probably the result of my issues. I made the run from the start to the police station without picking up any ammo, and I tried to take down Brad for the special key, but I ran out of ammo pretty quickly. I tried knifing him, but zombies seem to pivot to you a lot faster than in RE1 (not that I could pull it off in RE1 either). He ended up chewing up a lot of my health, so I just proceeded through the station until I could patch myself up and get the grenade launcher. Thankfully, he's still there when you return, so I was able to get the key, and the alternate costume and Colt SAA.

I've managed to make it to the sewers with Claire with only 3 saves. I don't know if I'll get an A Rank, since I think I've wasted some time with backtracking to organize the inventory here and there, and I picked up the SMG, which I think docks your score if you use it.

Disco Pope posted:

I platinumed it today and the speedrunny nature really sung to me. I got about 24hrs worth and I'm happy.

That's something I dislike about earning achievements for PC/Steam; it doesn't have the same flair as getting a platinum on Playstation does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Claire A is done. Plus, I got an A rank for it! :toot:

I effectively tried to blaze through the game as best I could, saving as little as possible, and without using the first aid sprays. I was trying to stick to three saves (miscounted, and I actually had two by the time I was in the sewers), but I made an extra one before the Birkin fight. I think I read the minimum is six if you want A Rank, but since first aid sprays and special items affect the score, I'm guessing each save counts as a penalty.

I'm surprised I got 2:38. From what I can tell, the in-game timer ticks by slower than actual time, because it seemed like a lot longer.

I dunno if I'm going to do Leon's scenario. With the results I got, I think I get the infinite machine gun, so I could maybe just blaze through it with that, but I'm thinking I'm going to just move on to RE3.

Policenaut posted:

Platinums are like a ribbon on the package. I dont really care as much about 1000GS or full clears on Steam for similar reasons. Then again I have so many at this point I'm probably not a good source on this because brainworms.

Yeah, I think platinums add an extra trophy versus every other version of the game. Granted, there are a few games that don't have platinums, and instead just have 100% completion. I'm not real familiar with XBOX's system, but Gamer Score (GS) just seems sort of bland. Playstation's grading system with the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum, along with trophy rarity, I prefer.

A couple of years ago, when I was playing more console games at the time, I used PSN Profiles to track my progress.

Medullah posted:

I never chase trophies in 99% of the games I play. If there's a game that I get a ton of the trophies just playing, I might look to get some of the other ones but to date I only have two Platinum trophies - Bloodstained and just this week Resident Evil 7. I actually enjoyed the hell out of re-running RE7 to get the rewards, it really did put me back into the RE2 days of my youth. Which is good because 2020 - not a big fan.

For me it varies. A lot of the time, I won't shoot for platinum because some of the trophies are too hard, or aren't really obtainable (usually those tied to multiplayer). In those cases, I'll try for those that are easily obtainable.

I've got 8 platinums, but most of them aren't anything real special. The rarest one out of the bunch is the platinum for Demon's Souls, and that one I got thanks partially in thanks to item dupe glitch (it was still pretty drat hard to get).

Looking at the trophies for RE1Make, there's stuff I know I'd not want to try, like the Invisible Enemy mode, or using only the knife. Looking at RE2Make and RE3Make, it looks like the hardest thing is beating the game with a high rank, or without using the storage box or healing items, which sounds tough, but then I haven't played the remakes yet, so maybe it's not that hard. RE7 seems pretty tough, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was planning on starting RE3Classic tonight, but I was also wondering if I should forego my plan of playing the games in release order, and skip over to playing the REMakes while the originals are still fresh in my mind.

After RE3 would be Code Veronica, then RE1Make. After that, though, I'd have RE0 and RE4-7 before I get to to REMakes 2 and 3. There's also the other spinoffs like Umbrella Chronicles and the Revelation games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I started RE3 Classic, and played it for a few hours, and it's certainly a departure from RE1 and RE2.

I made the mistake of starting the game on Easy Mode (used to having Easy and Normal, and playing on Normal), so I start the game with an assault rifle, and the first storage chest I find has infinite ink ribbons, a ton of ammo and weapons like the shotgun and the magnum. I ended up packing the assault rifle away and taking the pistol with me. That said, I'm flush with pistol ammo (I seem to be burning through shotgun ammo faster than I should). I also think it might have given me an extra two inventory spaces.

I'm of two minds about the layout. On one hand, I keep getting lost and end up running around in circles. I tried following a guide from the get-go, but I accidentally skipped over a few directions and ran around aimlessly. I switched to a spoiler-free guide that was easier to read, and gave simple steps, but I was still unsure of where I was going. On the other hand, it's a nice mix-up. While I liked the police station in RE2 just fine, it was clear it was just a replacement for the mansion (I do like you get to revisit part of the police station, though if I'm being petty, there seem to be a few inconsistencies). What I wish is that there was a way you could make notes on the map to remember where things are at.

It could be due to the fact that I'm on Easy Mode, but combat seems a little more refined from the previous game. Auto-aim is on by default. and after playing Claire B and Claire A back-to-back, I'm glad to have the shotgun back. There was one area where I had to deal with a couple of dogs, but I was able to keep them stunlocked with just the with the pistol. The ammo powder thing is sort of interesting; I'm guessing it adds an extra layer of planning where you have fewer direct ammo pickups, so you have to either have to fill up a slot with the ammo mixer, or leave it at save rooms.

Nemesis is about what I expected. I remember reading something a long time ago where someone said that Nemesis wasn't that impressive since he did exactly what Mr.X did in RE2. Admittedly, I took out Mr.X with grenade rounds every time he showed up, so I don't know if he pursued you into other rooms. Nemesis is a lot more nerve-wracking, because the music changes whenever he's following you, and he moves way faster than Mr.X. I've run from him in every choice I've gotten, since fighting with him seems like it would be a waste on resources.

At this point, I've met up with Carlos and Nicholai, picked up the fuse from the sub-station, and (in trying to figure out where to use firehose) made it all the way the warehouse from the start. I'm thinking I'm going to need to refer to some kind of visual guide (either an online guide with images or a video) to help me along, because an FAQ doesn't seem to be helping as much with this one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I mean, so far, there's nothing about the game that I find particularly bad. As I said, I find the layout to be confusing, but I'd argue that's sort of what makes it interesting. In the previous two games, you didn't really get lost, save for a couple of areas.

Not saying the game doesn't have flaws. While the ammo mixing system is interesting, it also seems like it's just an unnecessary step in acquiring more ammo. It sounds like the game doesn't have much in the way of replay value. Looking at the unlockables, the only thing you get for beating the game multiple times is character epilogues. It looks to be the first appearance of Mercenaries mode, which I know showed up in future games, and got spun off into its own thing, but I don't know much about it.

I dunno, maybe my opinion will change once I get further in. Again, I picked Easy difficulty, so my current impressions might not be the best; I might need to play through again on Hard. Really, though, I'm more worried about Code Veronica and RE0, because I've not heard much positive for those two.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 5, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

All this talk about Nemesis made me play RE3Make, and now I started the original to see the difference. Hooooo boy Carlos "Do you want to go out with meeee? All the fine ladies love my accent!"

"All the foxy ladies love my accent! It drives them wild!"
"What? Keep dreaming!"

A joke about Carlos I remember from a long time back was that he boasts about his accent, but halfway through the game, said accent disappears.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

heres your new resident evil film reboot cast

thats in order from left to right, claire redfield, chris redfield, jill valentine, albert wesker, leon s kennedy, and ....william berkin. i actually think mcdonaugh would have a made a cool wesker myself but what do i know.

very interested to hear in the opinions of the internet at large on the casting of jill valentine and leon, im sure they will be very welcoming and cool opinions. right? yeah, im not even gonna look.

its set in 1998 and tells the mansion incident but no word on if they've cast the rock as barry burton or not. also i guess the city stuff too? unless they are just cast for the backend of the film to lead into the sequel...

I was trying to remember why Neal McDonaugh seemed familiar, and then I remembered that he was M.Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I guess he's been typecasted into playing a villain in poor film adaptations of Capcom properties.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Finished Resident Evil 3 on Easy Mode.

Easy Mode doesn't give you a ranking, but based on time and saves, and a rough estimate of the healing I did, I'd say I averaged around a E or maybe a D. Not sure yet if I'm going to do a proper Hard Mode run or not.

I had a guide open in another window (the Versus Guide someone mentioned a page or two back) and the maps in that helped in showing where to go and where to find items. That said, now that I've finished the game, I feel like I have a better handle on the layout, and could maybe make my way around easier; I still find the early game very maze-like, but I think it's just a matter of using the in-game map to orient yourself.

I have to say that out the original three games, this one seems like the most difficult. Granted, I played in Easy Mode, but I feel like if I had been playing the same way in Hard Mode, I'd have burned through all my ammo. The biggest challenge seems to be dealing with Nemesis. I tried loading my NG+ save and fighting him in the first encounter, but I ended up dying (I think I might have downed him, but I don't know if he stays down until you leave the screen like Mr. X did.) From what I gathered, though, you want to fight him in Hard Mode, because he'll drop weapon upgrades that will be helpful later on. However, it seems like that add something like 3-4 additional boss encounters you have to deal with, which means 3-4 different places where you'd want to put down a save, and where you'd use more health items and ammo.

I was going to say that RE3 seems longer (and maybe it is by a small margin), but I feel like the game's more 'stressful' throughout then the previous two, for lack of a better word at the moment. With sections like the Guardhouse in RE1 and the Sewers in RE2, I found they were a little more lax than other areas. With RE3, though, it feels like there's never a section you get to really relax. It always feels like there's a group of enemies just around the corner, or Nemesis is on your tail. Mind you, that's not a complaint, and I think that was what the devs were shooting for.

This game also seems to have the most puzzle heavy of the three. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the clock puzzle and the water quality puzzle. The clock puzzle was sort of annoying because even though I had the guide open, and read the solution, I couldn't seem to solve it (I think the issue was that you have to do it in the order of past/present/future). The water quality puzzle wasn't so much challenging as much as it was sort of tedious, because it's not really suited to the interface. I have to imagine that's a big time-waster if you're trying to do a speedrun.

I dunno; there's more I want to add, but I've been playing the game for the last five hours, and I'm tired. :tootzzz: That's what I've got right now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

I just played though OG RE3 too, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of puzzles. Ultimately that's what I really like about the RE games, and I'm not a huge fan of the action heavy parts. Those puzzles really were tough, I didn't use any guides so some took a while. The drat music box one was really tough for me because I'm tone deaf

I think in the post I made on RE1, I said that it felt like an adventure game, but you also have to deal with fighting and avoiding enemies while managing your supplies.

RE3 sort of feels like the first step in the series' transition from being less survival-horror and more action-oriented.

I figured out the music box puzzle pretty quickly, but it did occur to me that it would be a pain if you suffer from tone deafness.

Doomykins posted:

3-4, 7-8, same difference. As I recall Nemesis will go down for "good" when he lets out a specific dying grunt and a pool of purple blood. Either a briefcase drops or you can inspect his body. Early encounters require some real faith in your pistol ammo and knowing how to dodge the majority of his attacks. The most important tic is that he doesn't like to swing with his tentacle arm so when he boxes you in you run by that side and don't stop, he swings and misses. His drops are really good, you will get nice power boosts in Hard mode. It's a fun change of pace to try to take him down each time.

The problem, I guess, is that if you're shooting for an A Rank, you've got limit your saves and healing, which makes the Nemesis fights a big risk. Then again, if you're shooting for an A Rank, you maybe don't want to fight Nemesis, as it wastes time. However, if you're not getting the weapon upgrades he drops, then it seems like that would make future fights harder.

The dodge system is interesting, but I think the issue with it is that you can potentially get yourself stuck in a corner, where it won't work. It seems like it's key to Mercenaries, where you need to chain dodges and attacks together in order to get time bonuses. I tried Mercenaries mode briefly after finishing the game. I only made a single attempt as Carlos, but I didn't manage to reach the goal in time.

0 rows returned posted:

anyway the puzzle that always would trip me up wasnt the water puzzle or the music box puzzle but the one where you put the gems in the paintings and it changes the time on the clock. i still have no idea how that one is supposed to work so every time its just randomly putting gems in paintings until one of them works

The clock puzzle tripped me up because I read the solution is to get the middle clock to read 12:00, but it seems like with some combinations, you can get it to read 12:00, but it doesn't register it as solved. I think the gems have to be input in the order of past/present/future for it to work.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I think instead of playing RE3 again right now, I'm going to move on to Code Veronica. I might come back to it, though. I also still need to go back to RE2 and go through Leon B as well. My plan was to play the series for October (though I technically started in September), and I don't want to get too bogged down replaying one game for too long.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Convex posted:

CV is fine but has some annoying elements like the backtracking, Steve's voice acting and for some reason no zombie decapitations (I mean why the gently caress would you take that out). There are also numerous ways to screw yourself over through unexpected character switches, unobtainable magnum if you don't keep the fire extinguisher, poison moth corridor right outside the loving save room and the tyrant boss fight in the plane is bullshit.

Graphically it's dated worse that the PS1 titles although the PS3 / 360 version added a new lighting engine and some other cool effects which help a lot, alternatively there's a good HD upscale texture pack available if you emulate the GameCube version through Dolphin.

It also has the best knife in the series, that thing cuts through zombies like butter.

I'm emulating it through Dolphin, though I didn't know about the HD texture pack.

I meant to fire the game up just to see if it worked and ran properly, but I ended up making it to the crane bit and back to the palace. Haven't died yet, but once again, I feel like I'm taking too much damage and burning through health items not long after I find them. I find it interesting the game gives you those weird dual auto-pistols early on.

So at this point, the game doesn't seem too bad. I've still got the fire extinguisher, albeit stowed away in the item box, so maybe I can still get magnum. Didn't know about the effectiveness of the knife, but I was under the impression the knife was meant to be ignored until you got to RE4.

I am worried now, though, about running into one of the scenarios mentioned (rendering the game unwinnable, getting a soft-lock with the mid-game boss, the poison moths, the Tyrant fight on the plane). Is there anything I should know going forward?

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.

All I really knew about Code Veronica going in was the Legendary Frog animation. To my surprise, Steve Burnside seems like more of goofy cartoon person in the actual game than he did in that animation.

That animation is also why I always pronounce Claire's name as 'Cleee-Air'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Played a bit more of Code Veronica tonight, but didn't make much progress. I got to the bit where you play as Steve, but died right after because I was at super-low health after the fight with the stretchy-arm monster. Started back at my save at the palace, and tried it again, this time making sure to get the bow gun. Got back to where I was at previously, but then died to dogs. Finally decided to make a save before the fight the the stretchy--arm monster.

You get a lot of ammo for the bow gun, but it feels super weak. Seems like you have to plug twenty shots into a zombie before it goes down. I know I should probably be using the knife, as someone said, but even with the side pack, I don't know about having it take up an inventory slot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So with everyone playing Resident Evil 8, it reminded me, "Oh yeah, I was trying to play through the RE games, wasn't I?"

I was a bit of the way through Code Veronica (around the part where you run around with the dual Uzis as Steve) before I dropped it for other games. I started it up yesterday, and finally made it back to where you use the gold Lugers, though not without taking a lot of damage and having to heal. I put down a save in a different slot, so I want, I can go back to the other save and try and get through the previous section again without taking as much damage.

The trouble I seem to have is dealing with those arm guys (the Bandersnatches, I think?) The bowgun seems to take a lot of shots to take them down. I know about how the CV knife is super-OP, and I think I was able to take one out near the mansion or whatever it was, but I don't know if that's the ideal strategy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I finally put some more time into Code Veronica X, and I made it to Disc 2. Got to the room with the mouse in the locker when the emulator crashed.

So far, the game has sort of felt like a drag. Maybe it's because I've taken such a long break between when I played RE3Classic and now, but it feels like the pacing of CVX is a lot slower. I was caught up at the point when you encounter the first Bandersnatch, and I replayed that section a few times to try and get on the right track.

The Bandersnatches are really what irritate me. I try not to engage them, and just run past, but they will smack you when trying to run to the next room. I think I burned through more herbs than I should while trying to get through everything.

It feels like the backtracking in this game is also heavier (or more flagrant) than the first three. Like with the Military Training Faciilty, you do like two or three loops to get everything you need, and part of it is because you skip some of it when playing as Steve. When you get to the end, your first thought is to take the gold guns back to the door, and you can, but you'll miss stuff you need later, requiring you to head back.

The boss fight with the Tyrant in the plane is also some BS, and I died like ten times trying to beat it. I saved the grenade launcher ammo and first aid sprays, but I had to use all three sprays just to survive the fight, and I had to use the 3 BOW rounds and most/all the flame rounds before I got to a point where I could launch the catapult successfully. The big problem is trying to dodge the Tyrant; I don't know if it's a distance or timing thing, but I'd almost always get hit when he does his lunge, and then I'd have to run out of his slam attack. The regular grenade rounds don't reach far enough to hit him half the time, and in the instances where I did dodge his attack and tried to punish, the animation for the grenade launcher wasn't fast enough to move out of the way from his next attack.

I realize I still have Chris' chapter to go through, and I'm not sure whether I should continue as is, try to figure out cheats in Dolphin, or just drop it and move to RE4. EDIT: Actually, I would go to REMake next, since I'm trying to play the games in release order.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I watched a history of Code Veronica ports, and I gotta think one reason why some people don't like it is that they never got to play the original Dreamcast version. Every subsequent port has something critically wrong with it, like they either hosed up the controls or the color pallette is all washed out or it's way too dark. They also ruin the Wesker reveal in Act 2 by inserting him into some random scene where it doesn't even make sense. Sad!

Hm, maybe I'd have been better off playing the Dreamcast version.

Can I get a link to that video? I'd like to see the changes between versions.

Medullah posted:

I enjoyed my PS2 run through last year. Of course I did it with an emulator with upscaled graphics, save states and infinite ammo so it wasn't as painful as it could have been.

I'm using save-states, though maybe not super heavily. I know I loaded state a lot so I could skip the door animation before the Tyrant fight.

Only point where I ran out of ammo was at the end of Claire's section, trying to kill the Nosferatu boss, and I killed the boss just as I ran out of ammo. Still, because of how tight some of the corridors and areas are, taking out enemies seems more critical, so it feels like you're constantly burning through your ammo.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't really hate CV myself. It's just kinda okay. I'd still replay it over 0 any day though. And it is fun to play CV using the knife as much as possible.

After CV and REMake, the next game I'll play is RE0.

The knife in CV is really good, and I've saved ammo by slashing zombies when they've fallen from gunfire. However, it seems like you have to be really specific on where you're standing, otherwise you don't get as many hits. Trying to attack them while they're still standing feels too risky, though that's how I've taken out other enemies like the spiders.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cool, thanks.

Since I made that post last night, I made it Chris' chapter, and things seems like they're a bit easier. The FAQ I was following said to use the explosive bolts for the Gulp Worm, and since I had those stockpiled, that fight was a breeze. I'm up to the point where Hunters are due to appear, but I haven't triggered them yet, because I thought to head back and drop off the stuff I picked up. I'm hoping they're not going to be too much of a hassle.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, Code Veronica X is done.

D Rank is about what I expected. The actual time is probably a lot longer with the save stating and repeating certain segments. I dunno why the game penalizes you for retries; for the most part it drops you back to when you last saved. I think the only part where it dropped you right back to where you died is during the first boss fight with Alexia.

The second half with Chris wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. You spend less time on the island as Chris then I expected, though backtracking back and forth through the elevator in the Military Training Complex gets really old. Chris' section does seem easier, because there's only one Bandersnatch you have to deal with (which you can obliterate with the grenade launcher), and most of the bosses you fight (save for Alexia) don't pose much of a threat; Gulp Worm dies with a few explosive bolts, Albanoid just floats around in the water waiting to get shot, and with the Giant Spider, you can just grab the item in the room and leave.

That said, the Hunters seem like a real pain to deal with if you don't know they're going to be in a room when you enter. While I didn't have an issue with them, the Sweeper (red Hunters who poison you) seem like a cruel thing to inflict on the player. The thing of having to dodge Wesker's scanner, so as not to summon Hunters, is sort of interesting, though I wonder why you can't just destroy them (maybe you can, and the guide I was following didn't mention it).

I think CV is where the limited item space style really become a problem (mind you, I did get sidepack for both characters, so it's not like I was working only with the default six slots). While carrying as many items (or at least key items) might tank the difficulty, I think it would dramatically improve the flow of the game.

Also, I hate that you have to wait until the halfway point before you get the shotgun.

The bits where you find the replications of the Spencer Mansion I thought was pretty cool, in terms of seeing them rendered in real-time, rather than a pre-rendered backdrop. I'd say that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why it's there, but then that's getting into the absurdity of the layouts of RE games, which (while funny) I imagine is pretty tired at this point.

There are some design decisions in the final stretch that I think are pretty bad. Once you find Claire, you get stuck on a route where you potentially be screwed if you don't have enough healing items in storage or if you didn't have a lot of ammo in reserve. The encounter with Steve just requires you to run away, but it seems like he'll hit you even if you immediately book it, so you have to have healing items to tank through the hit; otherwise you'll die. After that, you get thrown into the Alexia fight, and while that fight isn't too hard, I only had the shotgun when I made it up to that point; I didn't think to bring the grenade launcher or the magnum. If all you had was the knife, I don't know if you could beat it (I assume you can, but Alexia's grab attack seems to be an instant kill). Also, any healing items you do give Claire are inaccessible after that section

From there you do another circuit to get some items and find Claire, and then start the self-destruct and fight Alexia again. The final fight against her isn't too difficult, though the little enemies that shoot out and attack you in the second stage makes the fight more of a hassle, especially if you're not using a rapid-fire weapon.

The ending where Chris fights Wesker seems like it should have happened earlier, rather than after fighting Alexia, because it almost feels the game is setting you up for another fight, but it's all a cutscene. Wesker mentions they captured Steve for the T-Veronica virus, so I'm curious as to whether or not that was ever expanded upon, or if it was just a plot thread that got dropped.

I gave Battle Mode a quick spin as Chris. Tearing through with the infinite magnum is pretty cathartic, though I died at the last stage of Alexia, and I think I was under par.

I think if I went through the game again (which I really don't want to do), I could maybe get a better rank. Watching that retrospective video that Exquisite Tea mentioned, it's interesting to hear that people consider CV to be too difficult, but the video author also say that he didn't have trouble with the game and shows how you can beat the Tyrant effortlessly without moving from the entrance, so long as you have the right special grenades (which I did :pwn:). I'm interested to take a look at SphereHunter's review of CV (whose videos I've been meaning to watch) to see her take on it.

For now though, I guess I'm moving on to REMake. I have thought about playing RE: Survivor, though. I know Survivor is bad, but from some of the stuff I've read, it sounds like it's pretty easy and short, and I think there's a romhack/patch to restore the light gun support.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

CV is probably the easiest game to do everything knife only lol

There is a way to get through the Steve part without getting hit but its pretty unlikely you're going to figure it out without watching a YT video on it. Just like you can technically beat the plane Tyrant if you get there with no ammo, it's just insanely hard lol

Oh yeah, with how OP the Code Veronica knife is, I'm sure you can do a knife-only run easy. I used it a lot in my playthrough, but using it alone I imagine takes some practice. Trying to do knife-only in the Alexia fight just seems tough because you don't want to get grabbed, and positioning is hard because of the flames.

Looking at a speedrun, it looks like you bait the first attack Steve does and then run around him to get some distance while he's attacking. The other thing I read was using an explosive attack to stun him, but the problem is once that section ends, you aren't able to use that weapon again as Chris.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 31, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I loaded up the REMake Jill game I started back in like 2015 before dropping it. Now that I have the original game as a reference, I was able to make some progress without having to immediately check a guide for help. Made it past the fight with Yawn (the giant snake), and I collected all the Death Masks before I got killed by a zombie. I had saved not too long before, but I'm thinking I should probably start over with a new game.

The mistake I made when first trying REMake was that I didn't know how the zombies worked. I knew that REMake had the Crimson Heads, and that they would resurrect , but at the time, I thought they didn't resurrect until the second half of the game (instead, it seems to be whenever you enter a room for the third time after they die). I found that you could collect kerosene from certain rooms and torch them, and I did that with a lot of them. However, I realized that the kerosene is finite, and that there doesn't seem to be enough to deal with all the zombies (not to mention that it takes up inventory space you need for other items).

I know the other method to avoiding Crimson Heads is destroying the head, but the issue I have with that is that I don't know if headshots are random or not. I know from the original, if you aim up and shoot with the shotgun when at point-blank range, that's a guaranteed headshot, and it seems to be the same in REMake, though I had a couple of shots that didn't seem to work (could have been that I whiffed the shot). Shotgun ammo also seems to be sparse, and there seem to be a lot more zombies to deal with than in the original game. The pistol can occasionally score a headshot, but I can't tell if it's based on chance, or you have to be specific when aiming.

The third solution I guess is just to not kill them in the first place, though in some of the areas, it's too narrow to try dodging past them. As it is now, I seem to have problems taking regular zombies down with the pistol, as it seems like it takes quite a few shots to down them, and it's always in tight spaces where they're prone to grabbing you as soon as you enter the screen. I guess as an alternative, you could kill them, and then route things such that you never enter the room again, or see which areas you frequent the most and save the kerosene for zombies in those areas.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

site posted:

first and foremost, make sure you're using the alternative control scheme, which let's you use the control stick instead of the original tank controls. from there practice quick dodging zombie attacks. it takes a while to get a hang of, and you won't ever be 100% successful, but turning around just as they are lunging at you will allow you to avoid getting hit a significant amount of the time. this will save a ton of ammo in the early parts of the game.

second, pay attention to which hallways/rooms you have the hardest time avoiding them, like the guy who's camped out in front of the east wing saveroom, and save your kerosene for those guys. there are a ton of areas you will only ever visit once, so there's no point in dumping ammo and kerosene on guys whose crimson versions you won't ever encounter in the first place

Switched to Alternative controls, and yeah, they are a lot smoother. Still playing my old save file, but I was able to get through the Residence area easy and I'm back in the mansion again. I'm flush with healing items, but that's probably because I'm on the Easy difficulty (as far as I can tell).

I still feel like the pistol in REMake is woefully under-powered. Trying to fight the three dogs in the courtyard with, I realized i wasn't getting anywhere and just ran.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Made it up to the start of the Labs as Jill in REMake.

As I keep making progress, I keep thinking about some of the requirements for unlockables/achievements, and I'm dreading the idea of attempting them. Trying to do the whole game with no saves seems like a nightmare. I died twice to the same Hunter down in the caves because of that insta-kill attack (which I don't think I ever experienced in RE1Classic), the boulder traps seems a hell of a lot faster than in the original, and looking at the guide I'm following, there's a section coming up where you've got to carry a container that can explode if you get grabbed or if you're firing your weapon. Apparently, though, you can get the achievement while infinite rocket launcher, but that requires beating the game under three hours on Normal.

In regards to beating the game under three hours, I think I could maybe do that, but the routing is what concerns me. It seems like it's easier to do with Jill rather than Chris (because of the extra two item slots), but remembering what key items to bring is harder to keep track of with the new stuff REMake, and since the game doesn't track your time, there's no way of telling if you're taking too long or not.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Doing the game with no saves is actually quite easy, automatic checkpoints don’t count - only manual saves do. So you can do a run on assisted and fall back on automatic checkpoints in case you screw up.

Sakurazuka posted:

RE1 remake has checkpoints?

Yeah, I haven't encountered any auto-checkpoints. Maybe they're on the Very Easy difficulty, but on Easy (which is what I believe I'm playing), I still have to reload a save from the title screen every time I die.

I should mention I'm playing the HD Remaster of REMake on PC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah I think he was thinking of RE3Make.

Oh, well I'll get to RE3Make eventually, so that tip still helps.

-

Anyway, finished Jill's campaign.

In general, though, I think the game's pretty solid, though I'm split on the new additions. In general, some of the changes they add to throw you off from the original are pretty clever. Turning the section where you flood the Residence basement from a simple button press to a time-sensitive puzzle was pretty engaging. The new arena where you fight Yawn for the second time is a lot better, though it feels out of the way compared to where you fight him in the original.

The Trevor family stuff, on the other hand, feels like it was sort of tacked on; collecting the Death Masks is the same as collecting the four emblems in the original, but you have to fight a Crimson Head to make it to the courtyard. Venturing out to the cabin to get the Square Crank and encounter Lisa Trevor felt sort of like padding. When you encounter her later in the tunnels, it's a bit more interesting, since you have to navigate around her, but it's not too difficult because she doesn't move that fast. The final encounter with her is just sort of a roadbump towards getting to the Labs, since you just knock over the four statues. I know the Trevor family (at least the journals) were meant to be in the original game, but I dunno, in terms of mixing up the game, it just feels like it adds an extra step here-and-there.

If there's one thing I didn't like, though, it's carrying that nitro back to the boiler room. I didn't have an issue, since I cleared out all the enemies in the generator areas (even though I think you only have to kill the ones in the boiler room where you insert the tank), but it slows things down considerably. I guess, though, since it's close to the safe room, you don't lose a lot of progress if you die, or if you don't dispatch the zombies properly.

I don't want to deliver an final verdict on it until I run through Chris' campaign on Normal. With Jill on Easy, I finished the game with a surplus of ammo and healing items. I also picked up from a save file I started in 2015, and played briefly in 2019, so my playthrough as a whole probably didn't deliver an "accurate" impression of the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Decided to go through Jill's campaign again to see if I could essentially speedrun it for the 'Don't Stop Running' achievement.

:toot:

Was able to do it thanks to watching a run by CarcinogenSDA (the run is for Real Survival, but I played on Normal). I didn't play quite as risky as in the run, as I stopped to save after certain sections, and took out the occasional zombie. I also messed up a bit by forgetting to get the red gem for the Emblem Key box. Only had one death, where I had redo the second half of the caves section since Lisa knocked me off the platform. It easier than I thought it was going to be.

Still have to run through Chris' campaign, but it should be a lot easier now...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Chris' campaign is done.

Used the Samurai Edge for the majority of the mansion start, then switched to the rocket launcher onward once I got out of the mansion. The long play-time is because I went for the 'Nook and Cranny' achievement, which requires you to explore every room and (I think) collect everything.

Now it's onto Resident Evil 0, which I've heard mixed things about. Anything I should know going in?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well after about 90 minutes, I've made it off the train. Would have been faster, but I had to redo a section because I realized I messed up and wasted my ammo by not shooting the scorpion boss in the face (and then I forgot to get the extra shotgun ammo, so I had to plink away at the boss's face until it finally died).

So far, I would describe the game as, "cool ideas, but could have been implemented better." The partner system makes for an interesting setup for puzzles, but switching partner AI is kind of clumsy, and for the most part, it seems like you'd want Billy to lead, since he can tank more damage.

I think the inventory system suffers from limiting you to six spaces per character (12 total) instead of eight (16 total). It's neat that everything you drop gets dumped out when the train crashes, but I realize that I'm going to have to ferry everything back to the hall of the research center (?). I also think I lost some items by not picking them up in the first place.

If things start going downhill after this, I'm not super-optimistic, especially if blue herbs are poorly rationed in comparison to poison enemies. Still I guess that's what multiple save slots are for.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I made some progress in the training facility in RE0. So far, I have two thoughts:

1.) Putting a training facility location in an RE game is a bad idea (Code Veronica, RE0).
2.) I feel like maybe I was too hard on Code Veronica.

It could just be that I'm stopping to follow a guide as I play, but the game feels very slow and tedious, in part because of the inventory management. I'm having Rebecca tote around the hookshot, so I could be wasting two item slots.

Despite following a guide, I didn't read ahead enough, so I burned all the pistol ammo and the three Molotovs I had trying to kill the worm boss that grabs Rebecca, since she had the hunting rifle.

It also doesn't help that Rebecca takes damage so easily. Right now she's in the Caution range, and the closest green herb is up on the roof where the crows are. Next up is an area with spiders, and I'm getting low on shotgun ammo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I made it to the church in RE0, and I'm rapidly losing patience with the game. I made it past the spiders okay, but then I died trying to save Rebecca when she falls in the pit, because I got stun-locked by Eliminators (the rabid monkeys). Made it through the second time, and I was able to get through the areas with the Hunters and back up to the main area with the Water Key. Died again trying to take out one of the leech zombies; I was using the grenade launcher's flame rounds, but during the first hit, they 'melt' and I think they're invulnerable during the animation, so in launching the rounds in quick successsion, I think I wasted them and got killed. Got the two without issue on the second attempt, though in leaving to return to the main hall, another one popped up, and Rebecca got hit, putting her back into the caution range. Managed to heal her with herbs that were outside, but then she got hurt again by the Plague Crawlers (the insectoid, grasshopper-looking things) in the Animal Room as I was trying to rush to the observatory to insert the three slabs. :argh:

What the hell happened between REMake and RE0? It seems like RE0 was made with the same engine as RE0, but they tweaked things out of wack. Like I don't know if I'm just missing shots or something, but the grenade launcher feels a lot weaker in RE0 than it did in REMake. It takes like two or more grenades to kill the baboon things, but the shotgun can take them out faster.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I should just download Cheat Engine and bump up my weapon ammo or herbs, because at the rate I'm going, I'm either going to be under-equipped for the endgame, or I'll be spending an hour just trying to ferry everything around. I found magnum ammo, but I don't know where the magnum is yet, so it's still sitting in the main hall.

Could it just be that I'm doing something wrong? I've dispatched most of the regular zombies I've run across, but that's only because with the team system, you don't have a lot of room to maneuever (you do sometimes, but controlling the other character with the right-stick is awkward, and letting the AI follow you seems to leave them open to getting grabbed or attacked). I'm playing on Normal, and I shudder to think what Hard difficulty is like. Should I have played the game on Easy?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about using a cheat engine. Zero is pretty stingy feeling and that's before you factor in the nonsense inventory system. I'd say you've definitely "experienced" Zero like most people have.

I'm going to try and see if I can finish it without resorting to cheats, but my hopes aren't high. If anything, as soon as I boot up the game here in a while, I'll probably come to the realization that I don't have enough shotgun ammo to beat the Giant Bat and cave then.

WonkyBob posted:

You're just passed the section where I gave up (the leech room). I felt it just wasn't fun to play, the two character system is clunky (the amount of healing items would be ok for one but not for both), the lack of item box is annoying, and most of the story has been contradicted since. Initially it was being developed for the N64 in late '99/early '00 and was shifted to GCN which probably explains why it doesn't have the same feel that REmake did.

I kept thinking, "Am I being unfair to the game?", but then I was watching part of Carcinogen's no-damage run, and he points out in his commentary that enemies like the Hunters and Leech Zombies aren't coded the best. The Hunters apparently have a bug where they can have 0 health (:v:), but unless they take damage during a certain animation or something they won't die. I also watched part of a run by Bawkbasoup, and while I only saw the first twenty minutes of it or so, he didn't really seem keen on the game either.

It's weird, because the contemporary reviews held the game in pretty high regard (8s and 9s from various outlets). Reviews for the HD version are more in the 'average' category

I sort of wonder if it would have done better as an N64 title, provided they could have fit it on a cart.

BisbyWorl posted:

On the plus side, What Happened covered it last month.

I was completely unaware the complete setting shift was due to 9/11.

I haven't watched that video yet, but I watched the Mega Man X7 video, and Dino Crisis 3 was brought up along with, as both games were done by Capcom Production Studio 3.

As it turns out, RE0 was also done by Production Studio 3, so maybe that's why RE0 is the way it is.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Resident Evil...in space

I'm trying to remember if there were any other RE clones that were set in space. Someone mentioned Parasite Eve 2, but I can't think of any others.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

There’s a pretty bad game called Martian Gothic Unification that takes place on a Mars surface station and eventually the ancient underground city of ancient Martians. It has the character switching that RE0 does, except between 3 characters, but the big twist is that if any of the characters ever get too close to each it’s game over.

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about Martian Gothic Unification. I've actually thought about playing that. I know it's got some issues (I remember supergreatfriend was streaming not too long, and he ran into a bug during the ending sequence where it kept soft-locking), but I wanted to give it a shot.

-

Been meaning to ask: is my pseudo-blogging of my progress through the RE games getting annoying? I realize everyone's talking about RE8, and I'm on an entirely different page, so I was worried maybe it was derailing the conversation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not at all, it's always good to keep discussion going about stuff other than Big New Thing.

Okay, I just wanted to ask just in case.

-

Well the Giant Bat boss was a great, big bag of garbage. Died like 3-5 times trying to kill. I had enough shotgun rounds thankfully, but the issue was trying to actually hit the boss once the little (regular-sized?) bats come out, because you lock on to the nearest enemy every time you hit L to re-aim, and they'll smack into you an . Eventually I got an attempt where I was able to keep blasting the bats out of the air, while also hitting the boss until it died. One of the things Carcinogen mentioned in that video was that the sub-machine gun is optimal for that boss, and that it really should be in the game normally, rather than having it be an unlockable from beating the game.

The library/lab afterwards wasn't too bad. Sending stuff between Rebecca and Billy gets kind of tedious though, and I know I must have screwed up somehow, because by the time I got to the cable car, I only had one flame grenade shot left. Luckily, that and one Molotov were enough to take out the leech zombie without getting hit.

It's kind of neat how you revisit some of the underground lab locations from Resident Evil 2, though it's weird that Enrico shows up and goes, 'Gotta go check out that mansion' leaves, and Rebecca's like "I never saw him again.". The game also just kind of goes, 'Yeah you don't need to look in there' if you try to enter the doors from RE2 that lead to the save room and whatever else. Then you fight the proto-Tyrant, who's not hard to deal with, but still takes an entire clip of magnum ammo and one-or-two grenade rounds. It's almost like the game decides to kill the boss based on how little ammo you have left (the centipede boss who grabs Rebecca is the same, where you seemingly have to burn most of your ammo to kill it). It's also cool that the elevator takes you up to where the train derails, so you can go to the main hall and pick up items you left (which for me was some extra magnum rounds and not much else). Overall, the factory is pretty short, but it wasn't too bad.

I got Billy back and did the crate puzzle. It seems like I'm in the home stretch now. According to the walkthrough, there's another fight with the proto-tyrant coming up, and then the leech queen. Dunno if there's going to be anymore grenade launcher or magnum ammo to be found. Otherwise, I might be fighting them all with the shotgun and pistol.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I finally finished RE0.

Was surprised to get a B rank, though had I shaved the hour off, I'd have gotten the sub-machine gun.

Making the final boss basically an escort mission is some BS, especially if it was the case where you were just plain out of ammo. You get some ammo on the elevator before, but you have to burn it immediately to get into the second phase. and then it's a matter of getting the Leach Queen to go after you (Billy) instead of Rebecca. Luckily I had enough pistol ammo, though it took three tries before I got a successful run. You can't have Rebecca heal when she's opening the valves, so you have to try and gauge when the second phase is going to start, and heal her then.

I know it's stupid to get irate about the plot of RE, but it doesn't really add anything. It's like, "Oh Wesker and Birkin killed their mentor, but then he became a leech man, and he leaked the T-Virus in the mansion." I thought maybe there were going to do more with the relationship between Rebecca and Billy, but it just kind of gets dropped after Billy gives his backstory.

I briefly tried out the bonus modes. Leech Hunter didn't sound like much fun, and unsurprisingly, it was not. I only got enough charms for an E rank and the extra machine-gun clip, but since I didn't unlock the machine-gun, it's useless. Plus, I think you need to have the machine gun unlocked, because the enemies you encounter in a lot of the rooms in Leech Hunter mode are not things you can fight with just the default handgun. I tried going to the room where you find the shotgun, and I go, "Oh, what's this? Three hunters? Well gently caress you, too, game."

Wesker Mode seems like it might be fun, since you have that psy-blast move, which seems to obliterate zombies (at least the one zombie I tried i on). The running move doesn't seem all that useful, though I instantly forgot the new controls for it after starting, so maybe there's another component to it.

Regardless, I've complained about RE0 enough as it is, so I'm going to uninstall it and start downloading RE4.

Is there anything I should know about RE4 going into it? I'm playing the Steam version, so I don't know if it needs a patch or mod or something.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

There’s an option in the controls somewhere to turn on 1:1 mouse movement. Using the other option means there’s a weird dead zone and sluggish crosshair movement because something-something emulating a controller.

Other than that let us know whether you chose the Red9 or the Blacktail.

Oh yeah, I was wondering if I should play with a controller or with a mouse. I was thinking mouse, since I'm used to mouse aiming, but I was wondering how the game would handle it, so knowing that helps. What I think worries me is how the QTEs are mapped to the keyboard, which is why I wondered if a controller would be better.

I think back when I first tried playing RE4 on the Wii, I believe went with the Red9, but I don't recall why. I don't have the best recollection of RE4 (I never finished it), but when I get to the point where I get the choice, I'll post about it.

-

Also, one thing I meant to ask when I finished RE0. Was there a reason that Rebecca was more-or-less forgotten about? It occurred to me that Rebecca was the one character who didn't get an epilogue in RE3, and the only other story-related thing she appears in after RE0 (that doesn't seem to be just a playable character in an arcade mode/mini-game) is the Vendetta movie (and I guess the stage show, according to the RE wiki.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 11, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I think the reason is that Rebecca was just sensible enough to not spend her entire life fighting the undead and instead chose to pursue a career as a medical researcher and professor. Considering how we've seen Chris getting more and more worn down as the series goes on, I can't say I blame Rebecca for her decision.

The fun thing about the musical stage play is that it took place before RE6, so you got Chris and Piers showing up to help put down the virus outbreak with their sick dance moves. It also has a flashback section showing Chris and Rebecca teaming up during the events of RE1. :allears:

Oh, I didn't know the stage play was available to watch online. Might have to check that out at some point.

-

So instead of starting RE4 tonight, I instead tried to play RE Survivor using the patch/hack to restore light gun support. I've never tried it with the regular controls, but the lightgun controls (at least via emulation) don't seem that great.

Movement is done by pointing the reticle off the screen and firing: once to walk, again while walking to run, and twice to walk backwards. The way it was mapped for me, the left turn was mapped to the right mouse button, and left turn was mapped to the middle mouse (effectively making them reversed). I might have had an easier time if I knew out how to remap it to the keyboard.

I didn't get very far. I got to the prison where you find the shotgun, and then got killed by a Hunter. I had continues, but I decided to give up. Apparently you can load a saved game, but I didn't run across any typewriters (unless the game auto-saves).

If you're interested in giving it a shot, you can get the light gun patch here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4196/

I'll start RE4 tomorrow, provided my second vaccine shot doesn't knock me out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I played up to the dock in the first chapter RE4 (specifically the dock with the fish trick. You know what I'm talking about.)

The game controls pretty well with mouse-and-keyboard, though maybe not as well as I'd like. I remembered to set the aiming to 'Modern', though the 'issue' I have is that Leon's aim shakes a bit, which can cause you to whiff shots (which in turn, makes me think that maybe that was why I missed shots back when I played the Wii version.)

Movement is still a bit of an issue for me, though I'm getting the hang of it. Even though you can aim freely, it's still the RE tank controls, which makes trying to aim around corners a little frustrating since you can't strafe. You also can't move and shoot at the same time, but I knew that going in.

I've died a few times (though instead of retrying, I just loaded a save). Following the advice I got, I try to go for headshot, run up, and then do a kick. From there, I try to knife the downed enemy to conserve ammo. Against a couple of lone enemies, it works fine, but if there's a big group, it gets sketchy. Sometimes I won't get a headshot, and rush in, where I realize the enemy has already recovered. I try to knife or shoot them in a panic, but in the case of the knife, the distance is sometimes too short, so I get a pitchfork to the face or something. I'm worried about later in the game, when you have to go up against other enemies apart from the villagers.

Don't really know how I'm doing in terms of items. It's nice that enemies will drop stuff, though I'm not exactly overflowing with healing items, which makes me think I'm playing poorly. Eggs seems to do pretty good in terms in terms of healing (at least with the starting health pool), and you find a lot of them. Handgun ammo is pretty plentiful, which is nice, since you need it to get some of the out-of-reach treasures.

Speaking of I've been referring to a guide so I can try and find the rarer treasures, so I can afford to buy stuff from the shopkeeper. I've bought one upgrade for the pistol (which ended up being pointless, since I did the medallion quest, got the Punisher, and then sold the handgun), the treasure map for the village, the rifle, and the expanded storage box (Attache Case M).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Am I doing it right?

Also I picked the Red9, since A.) it sounds like it's more powerful in the long run than the Blacktail, and B.) it's the first new pistol you get access to, apart from the Punisher.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Remembered this comic while playing, and reading I realized, "Oh yeah, I don't have the TMP either. Why don't I just sell the ammo for it?"

Kibayasu posted:

You clearly have two stacks of rifle ammo separate from each other.

poo poo, I'm really doing bad.

In my defense, I think that rifle ammo was just something that was auto-placed when I picked it up, and I didn't notice it when I took the screenshot

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I made it to the start of Chapter 3 in RE4.

Mendez was a hell of an annoying boss. The first half of the fight is easy enough, though when I got to it, I was low on health, so I had to assemble the GRY herb mix you get on the second floor to get my health up to full. All you have to do is wait until he stretches up to attack, run to the opposite side, and then shoot him.

It's the second half of the fight that pissed me off. It's hard to keep a bead on him when he's swinging up in the rafters, and I died a lot from trying to get hits in and dodge past. I thought it was a matter of dodging to the right (his left side) when he does his swing, but even then I got hit and killed. There's an attack he does where you a QTE to duck, but I don't know what the attack is. The trick I found was to attack him when he was at mid-range, since I could hit him with some of the shotgun spread (though I had very little shotgun ammo), and I could run past him without him attacking most of the time. I also found that not detonating the red barrel in the first half allows you to use during the second half when it's more useful. I also tried using flashbangs on one attempt (since they make him fall to the ground), but on the next attempts, I got laser-focused on trying to just defeat him directly.

I'm not sure what to do now in terms of purchases. I can upgrade to a larger attache case, along with the semi-auto rifle and the riot gun, but I don't know if I should do all three, since that seems to wipe out the majority of the cash I've accumulated. In addition, there's also the Broken Butterfly magnum, and new upgrades for the Red9.

Does cash and weapon purchases/upgrade get carried over in NG+?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 14, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

When the chief is on the rafters you can usually wait until he swings right up into your face, then blast him with the shotty and dump rounds into him.

I tried that, but maybe because I didn't upgrade the shotgun, point blank shots against Mendez didn't cause him to drop from the rafters. It could just be that my timing was off, but that move was risky, since the recovery animation from firing the shotgun didn't give enough of an window to move out of the way without getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Made some more progress in RE4 since my last post. The difficulty really seems to ramp up in the castle. I've started checking Carcinogen's no-damage guide to try and figure out how to proceed, because I couldn't figure out an ideal way to get past the catapults (and when I eventually did, the cultists captured Ashley in the sword room).

Getting through the large room with the cranks was nerve-wracking. Even using a trick where you snipe enemies from the entrance, exit, and re-enter to reset their positions, I had a couple of failures. Fighting the enemies that come to ambush you in the lower with the floor switches had some close calls. I actually went back and saved after the first crank that lower the steps up to the upper area, so I didn't have to redo the whole sequence. It's probably the first time in a RE game where I've felt super on-edge. I think it's because the cultists can do some serious damage, the Plagas can do instant-kills, and Ashley can't tank a lot of damage, so trying to dispatch all the enemies quickly without wasting ammo, while trying to keep both yourself and Ashley out of danger becomes quite a balancing act.

Part of my trouble might be from not upgrading my gear as much I could. Now that I've cleared the section, I've switched out the shotgun for the Riot Gun and given it a firepower upgrade. I was going to hold out for the Striker, but it looks like that's not available until Chapter 4, and I think I need a stronger shotgun, because I seem to burn through all the shotgun ammo I get my hands on.

I'm at the start of 3-2 now, and I know the next section has the invisible bugs. I did the shooting gallery and got the first six bottle-caps.