Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Deviant posted:

Are the deluxe chris/jill/barry guns in any way mechanically unique? Annoyed bc i used one and then found an extended mag for matilda.

Was there an answer to this? I'm curious, too, because the descriptions make them sound like they're better, but I'm not sure if that's just for flavor or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

McTimmy posted:

The upgraded shotgun is amazing my god.

E: From earlier in the thread.

Chris's Gun gets smallest aim reticle faster.
Jill's Gun draws faster.
Albert's Gun has a higher chance of headsplosions.

I think.

Thank you. I didn't know if Claire had an upgrade to her revolver coming or not, so I grabbed the Wesker pistol. I'm pretty sure, despite the higher chance of a critical, I'm going to end up metaphorically shooting myself in the foot, trying to brainblast every zombie I see.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

One weird thing I like is they fixed a lot of the architecture, there appears to be enough desks in the STARS office now for everyone to have a desk when it is their shift and there are BATHROOMS!!

I'm not very far into the game (I just reached the film development room for the first time), but I was terrified to enter the women's room that was flooding that hallway. This game is incredibly atmospheric, even within the first 20 minutes. I'm really feeling like I'm in an infested police station. I kind of wish it had some sort of VR capability.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I just finished the orphanage in Claire A, and Jesus Christ, that has been the creepiest poo poo so far. Never mind Mr. X clomping around everywhere, Lickers hanging around, William's ugly rear end; Irons is the scariest thing in Raccoon City.

I was very satisfied when Birkin rolled in and hosed him up. Even though I know Claire will pay for that one later...

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Jesus gently caress, Mr. X got hosed up by Birkin! Holy poo poo!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I got caught once, but then the loading screen tip told me that you have to avoid his flashlight, so I guess I got lucky.

I'm disappointed that they seem to have excised two of the best lines from the original; "Guy's a maniac, why'd hebiteme?" And, when Leon is in the jail, meeting Ben, with Ada, and he's trying to make a plan, but Ada just walks away. His exasperated tone just sells it; "Why does nobody listen to me!?"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It’s even better than that. Ada runs away, then he talks to Claire on the radio who also just blows him off.

That's right, I forgot that! Even so, second best line in the game. The bitten guy's reaction is just wonderful; he's not exactly angry, concerned, or anything like that. He's got this huge bite in his arm and he's mildly perturbed by the whole thing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, it's still one of the top tier REs for me despite the boat section. Everything before the boat is absolutely thrilling and one of the best survival horrors in decades

I'm actually conflicted about whether RE8 should adopt RE2remake's direction or RE7's direction

Give us the RE2make style and direction, but include the ability to melee. That's something I would change about this game, just let me hit an enemy to floor them and run away.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

At least we're not treated to Irons talking about wanting to stuff her. It's implied, which is even spookier.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Isn't the mayor's last name Harris? Or was a detail I remember from one of the books?

Yeah, I read those books. I liked them for what they were, barring the weird worship of Rebecca.

Edit: Should have Googled before I posted.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

That was the mayor in the Perry RE2 novel because Warren was first named in the games in 3, I think.

Yeah, that's right. I remember that one best, because it probably was the best one.

Wanderer posted:

Oh, no, we are.

Reread the last page in the Taxidermy Log file, now that you've seen what he was up to in the orphanage.

I'm not sure I found that file. Or I just don't remember it. Since my two year old is currently watching Toy Story, can you sum it up for me?

Edit: I Googled it.

JESUS H CHRIST HE'S A CORPSE FUCKER

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Caidin posted:

It honestly impresses me that REmake 2 somehow found time to make Irons an even bigger piece of poo poo.

And without the emails about how he was a two time rapist in college.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

The dialogue is on the same level as Resident Evil, to boot.

It's not fair to say that and use a jokey Easter Egg as your evidence.

Leave fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Don't buy the TMP or the rifle scope. Don't buy the second shotgun wait for the third. Don't buy the Broken Butterfly, either; you can get a free one, and skip the Killer7, too.

Default controls are perfectly good. It'll get tense, yes, but a different sort of tension. Instead of a, "Jesus Christ, these guys are going to kill me!" it's not more like, "Jesus Christ, that's a lot of loving guys" Enemies can be melee'd after a head shot, or a knee shot that drops them to one knee. But, you can shoot them in the dick if you want to.

The only missable things are some treasures and treasure components, but you can buy a treasure map if you feel like it.

You'll wear the awesome jacket for just a little bit.

Leave fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Where are the mods for the SMG? I missed them on Claire A, and I know one of them is in the case requiring the STARS badge, and I didn't know you could get back to the police station from the sewers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Just got my first S+ as Leon, Standard, A run. I was just a hair over 3 hours (like, fifty seven seconds over).

Is that last Mr. X fight time based, or does it matter how much damage you do to him?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I started by wanting to do Claire A, Leon B, because that was (I think), canon back in the day. Things are a bit different now, but I still enjoyed it that way.

I'm not sure who gets a better weapon loadout, but I think it's Leon, by virtue of the magnum. He's got better power weapons, but the grenade launcher is better for crowd control.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If they remake Outbreak, they should make sure the single player experience can stand on its own.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Said it already but I really like the writing in REmake 2.

Annette Birkin did nothing wrong :v:

I really liked Annette's character in this game. Sure, she's still done hosed up virus making, but she loves her kid and is trying to fix the problem. Her loveless marriage makes me sad, too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I kind of thought the BOWs would be better used for intimidation than any actual warfare usage. Sure, your soldiers would be scared of the guys with guns, but they know how people think and could get a fair handle on their plans.

But when it's a lizard man monster, or something crawling around, inside out, only attracted to the noise you're making? That's a whole new goddamn ballgame, one that is going to spook them into making mistakes they never would otherwise.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Until looking at the chart of damage, I didn't know the Ivy zombies just instantly killed you. I had been killed by one before, but I'd been in caution status and just figured they did a ton of damage.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh hell yes. TBF, it's usually due to me trying to be too cute though; stretch out a run between saves, trying to dash by like the original game or ignoring my back and getting ganged up on.

This, however, I simply do not get. I found them the easiest enemy in the game. Easier than the dogs even.

One word: "fire"

I "spritz" their legs/feet and watch them burn until they drop then spritz them some more until they turn black. No idea if aiming low makes a difference in how long they burn but it made intuitive sense and seemed to work since the flames seemed to rise up their bodies once they caught fire.

I was Claire, without any flame rounds, and I made a bad dodging decision. I'd just used my last grenade on another Ivy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If you've got handgun ammo still you can knock them down pretty easily by targeting the orange bulbs on their bodies. Fire is the only way to permanently kill them but they seem to stay down for a pretty long time if you drop them that way.

Yeah, I know that. I had made a piss poor dodging decision, thinking I had enough room to squeak on by, but I learned better. Now I make sure to either burn the bodies or pop a bulb.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I liked the musical sting that accompanied their entrance, and their noodley walk as they shambled towards you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What are the recommended save spots and what kind of time should you be around, if you're going for a hardcore S+ run? I figure sewers and the beginning of the lab, but I'm not sure the time needed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the S+ hardcore advice. I'd like some infinite zombie genocide weapons and now I've got a better idea of what to do to get them. I haven't tried Hardcore yet, but I did S+ a Leon run.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I tried the flamethrower on the third Birkin battle, but it didn't seem to be very effective. Do I spray the flames right into his eyes? I must have done something wrong, because I only had an on-fire, very pissed off mutant swinging at me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Does first or second run matter for the infinite rocket launcher and minigun?

DeadButDelicious posted:

Can the zombies also have party hats?

Maybe they make noises like party favours?

Only Mr. X has a party hat and you have to collect three of them by shooting it off his head. But by shooting it off, it triggers him to transform into his super form.

Leave fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

"Hey, was that Dr. Teller who was running from that Tyrant?"
"Yeah, he gave Birkin the finger where he thought he couldn't see it."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I've been watching an LP of Siren lately, and I can't help but think that would be a fantastic game to have remade in this engine.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I was really surprised when I got the file achievement, because I'm not even sure which ones I'd been missing. I don't remember which file popped it, but I think it was a random one in the sewers on Claire B, and not one of Leon's notes.

Does anyone have tips and tricks for Hardcore? I was trying Leon B, and kept getting my poo poo wrecked. I was trying to take out legs with the .45, but do you get less ammo on Hardcore? The double lunge is taking me some time to get used to. I'm trying for S+, so am I just trying to be too fast and getting sloppy that way?

Speaking of fast, I can cut time by skipping the Diamond Key entirely, can't I? I don't think Leon needs it for any reason and I can't think of uses for it beyond that linen room and the interrogation room, but is there anything necessary in that room?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I love the sound design on the new lickers though. That's what makes them really terrifying. They're designed to roar and hiss and make you THINK they aggroed you. Which of course makes you twitch and run or open fire and then welp, time for sliceyboi.

One of those assholes totally got me that way the other day. I'd been walking through the labs to freeze the herbicide, and one popped out and scared me into running for the door. Thankfully, they can't cross the threshold into the next room.

Unless they can and I've just never seen it before.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Just release a stand alone Mercenaries/Raide Mode game with every character to date in it with every weapon/map/scenario/etc. they can possibly think of. Like it can't be like Mercenaries 3DS it'd need to have a huge amount of content but it would own.

I'm now imagining Dynasty Warriors Resident Evil, and I think I'd be pretty well down for that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's what a future DLC should be. Give us some sort of alternate reality Elza Walker and Leon with bloodhound campaigns, rebuild that original concept a bit or something.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I thought it originated with the SD Perry novelization.

And that picture reminded me, I had the Licker, Cop Zombie, and Claire action figures toys when I was younger. I wish I knew where they disappeared to.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I still want a Siren remake in this engine. I think it would be perfect.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's been a while since I've played the Re2make, and how does the Spark Shot work again? Do you just hold the button down for maximum shocking? And it's best against the third Birkin form, isn't it?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Zap a zombie, hold the button, watch it go to the top of the bar, zombie head asplode. It does a little bit of continual shock damage that basically shuts down whatever you hit with it, but the big damager is the overload effect at the end. If you break the connection before that happens, it's a wasted shot.

Ah, alright. I seem to remember the note with it being kind of worded confusingly, but that might just be me misremembering.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The flamethrower is good against the sewer Gs? I thought it was only good for the Ivies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's too bad they ditched the branding paths. That was a really cool feature, even if it didn't ultimately make much of a difference.

At least Nicholai didn't get away scot free this time.