Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fil5000 posted:

Only dealing with him by radio didn't save Mike.

Mike was A: In a vehicle and B: In a HELICOPTER. Name the last time a helicopter pilot survived before the very, very end of the story in an RE game.

You can't even count Brad, because he got a face full of Nemmy soon enough. Resident Evil is a series that hates, HATES helicopters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, Barry actually bringing like, 3 reasonable guns and some backup ammo with him to go try to rescue his daughter officially makes him better prepared and more savvy than Chris ever was.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just killed my first Licker.

I remember them being considerably more vulnerable to shotguns in the original!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think this is the first RE that's actually stressed me out/scared me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If Outbreak had been made in a time when people actually had internet on their consoles it would have been a classic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Please Mr. X, leave me alone. I do not have the G Virus. I am very small and have no ammo. You can imagine the kind of stress I am under.

This is exactly what someone who has the G-Virus would say.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does steadying your gun actually make it do more damage/crit more?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the durable zombies because this is the first time in the series since my first time through REmake that zombies have felt at all threatening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every single RE except Outbreak and a little bit of 3 (wherein Jill gets Nemmied) has had the PCs always be inexplicably and totally immune to most of the various viruses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DLC Inc posted:

Claire has historically been more chill than even Jill, by Rev2 she's just bored by things though

If you wake up on a prison island owned by an eccentric psycho twice you have the right to get bored of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Birkin please.

I needed all that ammunition for dogs and other issues.

I did not want to spend it all on your weird shoulder eye.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve remakes are probably too much to ask for, but god I would be so loving happy if that happened.

Imagine Parasite Eve with this kind of combat, plus Aya being a goddamn wizard. It would be amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really like the the remake's description of the VP70 says it's 'impractical'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it was in because it's the pistol they use in Aliens, and also it looks kinda unique.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's laughable that a police-station is locked-up with all these weird keys and puzzles but it crosses over into endearing and gives us colourful gameplay. It sacrifices realism but it's for the best as the life-like police-station in RE1.5 was something of a turd.

Wait, the original plan was a lifelike, normal police station? No wonder the 1.5 version got thrown out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If a zombie drops on the first round you've put into its head after it's stood back up, it's actually dead in my experience. Even if the head doesn't pop.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also sheer panic, something the denizens of RE2 are very good at making you feel at seemingly random times

This lose-your-cool panic factor is something a lot of other survival horror games lack and it makes RE2R a classic imo

Yeah, I've found myself flailing in a corner sometimes or even missing shots from it. Or using stuff I can't afford to use because I'm not thinking about an hour from now, I'm thinking about 'jesus gently caress get off me!'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Barudak posted:

Hes also in Operation Raccoon City if I remember right, although not playable.

Hunk rules and I want to know what his post Umbrella career was.

I love that Hunk goes through so much poo poo to get the G-Virus to Umbrella and then the company just implodes moments after.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spiffster posted:

As long as the check didn’t bounce I don’t think he gives a gently caress

I hope he made out like a bandit because Hunk rules.

He is so goddamn fun to play in RE4 Mercenaries, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Black August posted:

Which is dumb because if you unleash 100 of those fuckers in an area you will see phobia and madness skyrocket FAST

I bet that's why they really discontinued them; the scientists couldn't handle the arachnophobia, themselves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randallteal posted:

Looking at this, is it true that if you're trying to kill a zombie, headshots and body shots are equally effective? I feel like I'm missing about a third of the time when I go for the head and maybe a quarter of the time when I go for their legs. The torso would be a lot easier to hit.

I believe if you're not confident you can hit the head, body shots are a better choice, since all Headshots seem to do is give a small chance you instantly kill them with a head explosion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All I remember of RE0 is a guy effectively screaming 'I'M COVERED IN LEECHES' and then exploding after singing opera. Did anything else happen in it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even the toughest zombies' legs seem to consistently come off in 3-4 shots for me. I think the amount it takes to actually kill them varies, but limbs come off consistently.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DLC Inc posted:

the smaller touches like Leon's "this is why I wanted to do this" moment with Kendo or Claire's "because I care" go a long way towards showing why the two of them are probably the most well-liked of the RE protagonists. Chris and Jill never really had many moments like that; most of RE1 is very vanilla with character beats besides with Barry and RE5's charisma budget is spent on Wesker. They're just small moments mind you but I always felt Leon and Claire were humanized and easier to relate to through RE4/Rev2.

Leon is a doofus but he's a doofus who is doing his best for all the right reasons. It's what makes his being lame endearing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rabidsquid posted:

TEW 2 is one of my favorites of the past few years because horror games no longer let you wander around some hosed up horror city. the first big hub in TEW 2 is like straight out of the silent hill series.

I would goddamn kill for the ability to knife-stealth zombies in this game like you can in TEW 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God, it's just astounding how bad every aspect of Operation Raccoon City is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm starting to think using knives as an escape tool instead of a way to kill zombies is a mistake, because man do knives kill zombies good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of all the dead helicopters in RE, the original RE2 rescue helicopter is the best of them all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rabidsquid posted:

because resident evil 4 is a good game i would like to play more of. resident evil 3 remake i am ambivalent about because there are a lot of obstacles to making it a fun and worthwhile experience; cv i have no interest in ever playing again remade or not

You don't want to see Wesker punch a bug woman while on fire, huh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rabidsquid posted:

no i just mean that shooting agile fast moving stuff is a huge pain in the rear end

Especially when you have very limited ammunition.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

snoremac posted:

The villain remotely hijacks the plane you're flying and instead of crashing it he flies you to a secret base on Antarctica.

The whole Antarctica thing and the way they did the Chris section in CV are the real issues with that game.

"Yeah I want to replay everything I just did, but with new fetch quests and a different vest on!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are Jill and Claire the only people in RE who ever actually shoot a human? Claire kills a bunch of security guards in CV, and Jill can shoot down Nicholai's chopper.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wesker shot Enrico.

Wesker isn't people!

Well, actually, he was at the time, wasn't he? Before getting the Plot Device Virus. You'd think 'this thing makes you into a goddamn superhuman with no real downsides' would sell better than the Precious Precious G-Virus, but no.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I should have specified protagonists.

At the same time I'm actually really glad the games haven't bothered with 'human enemies' or something because they wouldn't work well with the series. See: All of ORC.

It just made CV a bit awkward when there's supposedly a big battle going on on Rockfort Island and Wesker's supposedly got a whole team there in force, but you never see any of it directly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The sane (ish) Umbrella guys are all at the Paris lab, considering they developed Nemmy and he's by far the most advanced BOW they ever send at anyone. He and Mr. X seem like pretty significant successes compared to a lot of the other 'go crazy and kill everyone' BOWs.

There's also the whole crazy thing where Spencer was obsessed with a 100% infection rate virus for reasons that never got explained, because Spencer never got explained.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He really cut weight for RE7 though!

Wesker's dead. Don't need to keep juicing so hard to try to punch a viral superbeing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

snoremac posted:

I don't get my compulsion to keep speedrunning this game when I don't speedrun any other games. There's something satisfying about figuring out the best route.

It's a really tightly designed game, mechanically. Those mechanics are satisfying to interact with and the path through the game is well designed and fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As loving dumb as Dead Aim is for a lot of reasons, I love the idea that Umbrella has a cruise liner entirely to serve as a floating 'in international waters' showroom for bioweapons.

That's just the most Umbrella move.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dan Didio posted:

I remember really enjoying Resident Evil: Dead Aim, but I'm not sure how warranted that is because I also remember it looking alright and after a quick youtube, that is definitely not the case.

Dead Aim is actually fun to play if and only if you have a light gun for the PS2. I did, because I bought it for Time Crisis. If you do not, it's a terrible game. If you do, it's actually a pretty fun (and extremely memorably dumb) light gun shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What, exactly, was the deal with Lisa Trevor anyway?