Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got RE6 on a lark I wasn't planning to when I picked up a new PS3. My old one borked and the cost of an AC3 bundle and 460GB more HD was a better deal than fixing it. I hadn't been following it too closely, but was getting the impression it was apparently crappy. So far only in Leons second Chapter and besides the save points vs checkpoints being a little annoying, I'm enjoying the game so far, much more than I expected to be. Playing it offline because my schedule makes needing pause fairly often a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

RE6 is pretty bad about explaining mechanics to you, while having mechanics that resemble those in other games. The end result is that trying to play it like Gears of War loving sucks despite it looking like it's trying to make you play it like Gears of War.

I'd say it was the game this year that is worst at explaining itself except Assassin's Creed 3 came out.
I'm only an hour two into the game, but AC3 doesn't seem too bad at explaining things.

I'll agree RE kind of just throws you into things and is like...what didn't you read the manual?

Jimbot posted:

It has its problems, but it got panned something fierce by reviewers because the game doesn't explain anything and the controls and combat have a lot of depth to them. They played it expecting Gears of War and were disappointed something fierce (Giantbomb) when, instead, it's a completely different beast.

Yeah, there is a lot more depth than I expected far more than a Gears of War clone.

Wamdoodle posted:

I actually had fun with it in single and co-op. If you enjoy it then that's all that matters. If you can ever manage to play with a partner, it's even better :)

That's always been my view on most things.

Tremors posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

Thanks! I used to love reading manuals back in the day...Civ2 comes to mind, but these days I rarely check since they've been msde sadly superfluous.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished Leon's first chapter and this is turning out to be the trashy epic B Movie I always wanted to see. I definitely think reading this thread first and seeing a lot of the things that should have been explained better in the game has helped make the game more enjoyable for me from the start. I enjoyed the location diversity. Really was what you would expect in a full RE game vs just one chapter of one campaign. Besides the mentioned poor feature description, save vs checkpoint, and the annoying why can't I short the corpse before it gets up...I really don't have many other issues.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was wondering regardless of critical reception, personally I loved it in a dumb action movie way re Chris and really enjoyed Jake and Leon, what was the commercial reception to RE6?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, plus Shinji Mikami gives exactly zero fucks about Western-style plot consistency. When Shadows of the Damned is the most coherent narrative on a designer's CV, you know something special's gone and happened.

I still think its from watching all those Italian knockoffs that would actually get video releases in Japan, things like the catalog of Bruno Mattei's Robowar and Alien Terminators. Viewed through those influences, it's not so much not giving a gently caress as having a horrible (yet wonderfully trashy) base model to work on.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah by the time zombie movies/etc. got popular enough to REALLY get distributed all over, the really crappy, incoherent Italian stuff like Burial Ground was making the rounds.*

I have a lot of respect for RE4 though for how influenced it was by such things. Its homage to 80 euro-zombie flicks throughout the village/castle areas is downright nuanced, everyone involved clearly knew their stuff.

Also I love the Verdugo boss where the game rips off Terminator 2 and Alien 3 simultaneously as well as how the opening parts of the village are reminiscent of the Village of the Crazies scene in Gymkata. :3:

FUN TRIVIA!!! The highest grossing film in Japan in 1983 was E.T., the second highest was Cannibal Holocaust.

Yep, and it's not even the purely Zombie stuff alone, but the insane action and sci-fi movies too (and I suspect some of the earlier 70s work of Fulci and Bava). I'm pretty sure the FMV intro to RE1 being the coolest thing as a kid is part of the reason I love those movies so much.

I mean at times Chris's scenario is just about calling for Reb Brown to start busting out with a face full of blow and screaming...it's part of the reason why I love RE6 so much. It's a gave that has a few things that needed to be fixed (saves and actually explaining how the game works), but the whole batshit crazy action quality (and of course the other scenarios being really nice counterbalances) of it all.

Somewhat related I also think the BOW's actually make sense (from 5 on) when you think of being able to sell them for commerce (granted at the same time 5...which really did a nice job of taking all the entries of the series into the game, finally explained that Spencer just never gave a crap about being profitable).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LadyPictureShow posted:

That'd explain why he was hanging out with Willy B in RE0. "Yeah, cool surveillance footage dude, but ah, I gotta write up this report about the effects of the T-Virus on human-fly hybrids, but my cop job is really taking up a lot of my time, and my supervisor is gonna be pissed if I miss another deadline, sooooo..."

I've been thinking about how ridic the game's have become, and now, instead of Mercenaries, I kinda want a minigame where you're some BSAA schlub that has to write up death reports/notify next of kin as to the crazy-rear end way the agents helping out Chris and co. died.

"Ah, gently caress, there's a box for 'administered a viral agent by a crazy mastermind', but there's no box for 'mutated into an evil swarm of bees... better get the 90-A form." :sigh:

"Ma'am, I regret to inform you that your husband was killed in action on a mission in West Africa. He was crushed by an ogre who proceeded to wear him as a decoration on his belt. Here's the number for our grief counseling services."

Generally desiring fan produced anything is bad...but I'd love a fan fic just about Umbrella bureaucracy and form filling by Wesker, Birkin, et al.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Guilty posted:

It'd be like Papers, Please but with the comedic elements turned way up.

That would be kind of awesome. Still a better variant is Umbrella Requisitions and Supply.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mogomra posted:

I love how unintentionally zany everything is in RE6.

President's dead, and there's a small scale zombie apocalypse outside. Better listen to this random secret service lady and follow her to some remote cathedral instead of getting the gently caress out of town. (Almost) every single vehicle Leon gets into loving blows the gently caress up too.

Chris' campaign plays out like some insane buddy cop movie on steroids, and it's awesome.

I haven't gotten to Jake's campaign yet, but I'm expecting good things.

I've said this a few times, but if you've ever watched both Italian horror films and Italian and Philippine action films (which more then often got imported to Japan) you can see the influences. I don't even mean the more common stuff like Fulci's well known works, but things like Bruno Mattei's Robo War and Shocking Dark aka Terminator II. Japan (and the Netherlands) was back in the VHS day always the source for bootleggers to get their master copies for Italian Horror, Action, and Philippine Action movies, and hell places like Indonesia (Lady Terminator) in widescreen and uncut (save for blurred pubes). I swear pretty much all of the Various RE staff throughout the years were the people buying these VHS tapes that Japanese companies were releasing.

In short Resident Evil 6 is coked out craziness and I loved it, because its reminds of the all the trash cinema I enjoy dearly and it seems the staff did too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any get a kick out of the Terrasave ad in Episode 1? I found it pretty drat hilarious personally with the smiling employees and such.

I hope the game keeps up the high batshit insanity standard RE 6 set (and perhaps I'm the only person who enjoyed it, bloated and with poor instructions as it was).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

"Because Terra doesn't have to end in -ist!"

I could not stop grinning at that stupid ad.

Yeah, that was pretty drat magical too. I have to give credit to who translated the script for either keeping it silly or making it silly.

Then again aren't the RE games traditionally written with an English script or was that just the few first? I know RE1 was always rumored to have a Japanese dub that was never included even in Japan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to have RE 6 for the PS3 considering I can pick that and Revelations 1 up for :10bux: each via a steam key seller; I was wondering how good are the PC versions in terms of being ported and vs how they were on a PS3?

Also I want these primarily for SP...because I'm a weirdo.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Revelations port is okay. Nothing brilliant but nothing terrible either. It wasn't great at launch but it got patched. RE 6 had a great port though and apparently fixed some of the problems the console version had which might explain why I liked it better than a lot of people did.

Do you what got fixed? I seem to recall the PS3 version getting all the fixes eventually or at least the qte skip. FWIW I liked the game a lot too. However I mostly did Leon and Chris's campaign. I do love Chris's as it was coked out action movie crazy. I also played that before I ever did Leon's so maybe that's it too. For me I though the game had a ton of cool ideas and things...just perhaps a touch bloated and also not explaing mechanics.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azran posted:

Every campaign has its absolutely direst point(s): the stealth section and the snowbike escape in Jake's, Ada's "HEY IS THIS SHIP ONCE AGAIN AIN'T THIS FUN" and anything stealth related, Chris' Mario Kart Chase, Leon's whole Campus ordeal and rope climbing...

I actually like Leon's campus ordeal...with the cavet that I liked it for atmosphere and the setting itself vs game play per se (but it does pick up quickly. One think I liked is that while the game still had its wacky secret facilities, the design of the city and it's layout...actually made sense.

No disagreement on the stealth parts....bleh that's why I never really bother much with Jakes campaign after a certain point.

RE6 has one of the most varied campaigns in gaming and hell at the very least of the series. It's almost like Capcom wanted to experiment and use feedback for where to move the series next. I loved the variety though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fil5000 posted:

Leon's campaign consists entirely of him getting civilians murdered just by showing up. "Oh hi gunshop guys oops, sorry, you're dead. Never mind, off to this church, hi people hiding in the church, oops, sorry, that's a monster that breathes death, you're dead.

:lol:

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed it. Chris isn't much better (but other soldiers do survive...not his own often), but yeah Leon is a hilarious bad luck magnet. It was one of the downsides I had with the campaign, since there isn't anything ostensibly preventing a potential rescue or at the least it's not Umbrella killing everyone this time.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caidin posted:

Well, to be somewhat fair, vice president evil was gonna nuke the whole area to make sure his hilarious assassination plot/kooky tomb lab stayed covered up, so it's not like anyone was getting rescued.

Fair point. Until you mentioned VP Evil, or was it the head of the NSC, I had thought that unlike say RE3 there wasn't an active go kill survivors mindset in place. I also figured some people made it out anyway just like the end of (dear god I'm actually using it) AVPR.

Anonymous Robot posted:

What part of medieval catacombs beneath Chicago makes sense?

Hence why I said wacky facilities. But it does fit with whole ancient and mysterious illuminati/Patriots group running things....it's still silly, but it kind of works in the games logic. Either way I meant the parts before the cathedral.

Geight posted:

I think RE6's plot is pretty good (silly, but good) except for the introduction of ~*The Family*~ as an antagonistic element that is barely elaborated on or explored outside of the files you get for shooting medals. It's less ambiguity between Neo Umbrella and The Family and more nobody ever thinks to discuss who the hell they're fighting and why.

That's kind of my take on it. I just loved the scope and how over the top fun it was...but The Family is just dumped in there. Like I said I do appreciate the variety and depth of the script and locations like an airplane (which I know isn't new per se) or a city under a gas attack. It's a mess at times, but more a wonderful mess, then pile of poo poo.

That said Neo Umbrella had an aircraft carrier...how do you build and afford that...but I'm willing to Bond villain that plot hole. Better a guy with an aircraft carrier then a rubber dingy.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 4, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guillermus posted:

I'm glad to see some love for RE6. It had awesome controls, melee and the plot was so silly it was fun. I don't even think they tried seriously with it and I love it.

It's that or they tried so hard it just wound up being silly. Personally I think that if Capcom had done a better job explaing mechanics and controls, the game, while not without its faults, would be held in far higher esteem. I still think it's nuts just how long the game is (in the age of short sp games) and varied in location and play.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

I always liked to think of the Parasite Eve games as unofficial Sherry Birkin: The Game games. I mean, you're a blonde with genetic superpowers blowing up horrible mutants. Parasite Eve 2 was an even better Resident Evil game than a lot of Resident Evil games; the flavor text on everything was amazing and the intimate amount of detail that went into the environments was superb.

This is very very true.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1st AD posted:

Compared to the original Parasite Eve I didn't have as much fun with PE2, but it was pretty cool to shoot fireballs at mutants in an RE-esque clone

I recall liking the mechanics of 2 better for some reason I just can't recall. I think it was the combat being more real time or something different with it vs 1 (I think it may have also being the lack of random battles). I haven't played it for a few years though so I can't remember for the life of me.

I always remember being struck at how odd it was that there was no VA work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I unironically would be. The game absolutely has issues, but I just loved the scope and variety in the game. Also the store feels like someone snorted a pile of coke before writing it. It was fun though once you got the hang of it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason I just bought RE6 for the pc and have spent too much time trying to mod in ps3 button controls...which only sometimes work (still getting 360 control images for some). I love using the ds4, but how is the game with k/m?

Guess I could just use a DS3 instead....but man I like DS4 more.

Also god bless the coked out plot to this game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FanaticalMilk posted:

Why not just buy an Xbox One Elite controller and hang out with the cool kids?

Cause I'm cheap and I also don't own an Xbone.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky posted:

I would love for there to be a RE4 type game but playing from the POV of an Umbrella Agent in training.

Or RE3. I've also always felt something parodying the life of an Umbrella High Clearance Buearucrat could be a lot of fun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

That movie is like a list of reasons why Resident Evil absolutely had to scale back its story.

You either gotta fully embrace crazytown or peel back. Everything about RE6 and seemingly that flick is way too self-serious for how stupid it is.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Though I agree about the escalation dilemma and the narrative problems, though I also love full crazy town and RE 6 especially and Degeneration was awesome too...man I really want to watch that now.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 25, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Glum posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/121185/japans-deaf-composer-wasnt-what-he-seemed
That's the full story of the composer's fraud if anyone is interested.

Thank you for posting that. I had always wanted to find something in English talking about it in detail.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lasher posted:

Been watching a stream for the last 4 hours or so. It looks like Resident Evil as done by Rob Zombie so far...

People use the C word ever 2 minutes?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Convex posted:

It's by the same guy that literally made an entire remake of RE2 that looked amazing and then didn't release it.

What now? I feel like I've seen video of something like that, but I can't recall much.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:stare:

That's really nice.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vakal posted:

Once RE 2 Remake comes out, Capcom can dissolve for all I care.

Hey some of us like Resident Evil 3 too! :doom:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo I must have misremembered that part but I think that's it. Thank you!

The series had three films in it. Though I doubt it was Ghost Galleon, so it might have the second one too

Also I now have an excuse to post this, Revenge of the Planet Ape. The retitled us version of Tombs that played in a few drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVZdsllpdQ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

catlord posted:

Four films, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Return of the Evil Dead, The Ghost Galleon, and Night of the Seagulls. It's a weird little franchise that I quite like.

You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I blanked on Seagulls, since I used to own the coffin box set from Blue Underground.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

from the steam forums:

"Ok, this works...for now....When you are running out of time - minimize demo (alt+tab) and terminate process through task manager. Start game - you have 30 minutes again.

Tested couple of times - it works...for now."

lmao.

Apparently it's not working correctly or ymmv.

That said someone said about half the game is in the demo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never played RE7 so perhaps this is something well known, but man this engine is nice in terms of scaling. My processor is below the minimum and the auto presets it uses are great because it runs fine and the game looks fantastic still. The game itself is really, really well polished in terms of control.

Republicans posted:

Found a shotgun before my time ran out but I never found a licker to use it on. Needed either more zombies or less ammo because I was able to dome every one I came across and still had over 40 bullets left.

Interesting, I nailed a bunch dead in the head and they did not stay/go down. Perhaps it's just a sweet spot you have to hit that I don't know about.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

the RE7 engine is pretty well known for its insane wizardry

It certainly is, I haven't seen this type of scalability since the Fox Engine.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you stand still and aim for a bit the crosshair shrinks and I guess you get a critical hit type of thing? most zombies go down in 2 or 3 of those to the head but it's like 7 otherwise lol
Okay, that would explain they were taking forever with me. I'm like look I'm hitting the head, they should go down...before 7 shots lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay apparently there is a way to beat the timer.

quote:

Just a heads up, you can reset your timer by disabling cloud saving and deleting your RE2 save folder (userdata\YOUR ID\961440). You also need to reset the achievements.

There's methods to reset achievements but I'm not sure if Steam legally allows this, so do it at your own risk.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/961440/discussions/0/2521353993638832442/

EDIT: I wouldn't do it since apparently the program used to do it (SAM) is considered a hacking program by Valve.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere obvious but is the demo locked behind preorders? I don't see a download on Steam.

Nope just search Resident Evil 2 in Steam and the full game and demo will come up in the results.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mountain Lightning posted:

I've been watching some streamers and people playing who've been doing that (wasting ammo and then running) and it's positively aggravating to watch them basically waste more ammo and time than they would have just dealing with the issue now or dodging them and taking the occasional bite, so sorry for the random aside. It's just been bugging me as of late.

I'm pretty sure watching me might cause you to stroke out. :)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty good demo, it’s just RE2 with some nice QOL improvements which is exactly what I wanted it to be. Exploring the station was just fun.

I also like that the station (even though it's a converted museum like in the original) actually feels more like a real police station. Yes, I know Gothic horror and all, but I like a more "realistic",I know that's not the proper term, station. You know just more filled it with less mansion things.

And yes I am greatly amused that they added bathrooms, I remember the old Story Guide on gamefaqs used to even have a question dedicated to that

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psychepath posted:

The new map so far feels so good and logical, as do all the new touches like the lobby becoming a triage area, riot doors blocking personnel areas, and shelves pulled down in a hurry. I'm genuinely curious about how weird it gets when we get into Irons goofing with security on behalf of Umbrella...or if he does at all.

Yeah, this was a huge plus for me. Like I said I liked how realistic it felt now, even though it wasn’t the right term. I think logical is a far more fitting term. It makes sense in the fictional world the story is establishing. I noticed thinks like sleeping bags in the press room like people were hold up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

I have an absurd love of the original game and its soundtrack so I'm definitely getting the deluxe edition lol

It would be hilarious if they released the fake deaf guy one.

EDIT: Sorry thought you meant the original game (RE1).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2019