Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Dr Eggman posted:

No Wanderer, an 8 is pretty spot on. Van Ord and Sterling are just butthurt.
I'd be worried more if everyone was grading along similar marks. Beyond simple metrics like how well they function, games are far too subjective to boil down to some metacritic average. A stack of 8s across the board can be a warning sign that none of the critics involved cared much for anything related to the game beyond appeasing the fanbase just enough not to ruffle too many feathers.

That's not to discredit your score or anything Wanderer, I think you clarify how you came to the score you did perfectly well.

I like to hear from people who hated it as much as those that loved it, I find it helps put it all into perspective for me.

Man, my preorder wait seems to be taking forever. I loved the demo for this, and the stuff I've read here only make me want it more. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
A couple of other questions I'm not sure I've seen mentioned here yet.

Can you play solo campaigns as either character from the outset like the demo, or is it an unlock like in RE5?

Is there a roster of playable Mercenaries characters up anywhere yet? Failing that, did Jill make the cut? All I've seen so far just list the main characters, I hope there's a couple more than that.

quote:

Are there 4 full-length campaigns, or is it pretty much 4 smaller campaigns to add up to the average 10-15 hour action game?
Reviews so far mention that it's surprisingly long. More like four typical small action games bolted together.

farfromsleep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 1, 2012

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Thanks for the info. I thought the Mercenaries list seemed a little thin compared to 5, but I'd forgotten that a lot of the extra stuff I was thinking of was added later as DLC bonuses.

I can see the new control system lending itself really well to that mode. I liked the earlier Mercenaries well enough, but it always felt a little too awkward for me to be a really satisfying score-chaser. This looks like just the ticket.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

AASman posted:

Geez, was not expecting the reviews to be this bad. The game being filled with button prompts and QTEs are a huge turn off. Why are they popular again? Why do they have to be in every game now?
RE4 was one of the defining games for QTEs for quite a while. They're in it all over the place.

I never had a problem with them in 4, doubt I will with this either. When they work well and make some sense in relation to the action, that's fine.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Thievery posted:

Bear in mind, you can now move while aiming/shooting, and dodge roll to evade attacks. This is HUGE. Dodging also does not use any of your stamina bar, neither does rolling on the floor like a maniac. Once you work out the dodging mechanics and maybe get a little more used to the enemies (honestly you can get hit about the same amount of times you can in RE4 or 5, it just happens more often due to the combat mechanics) you'll be invincible, pretty much. I went through Leon's, starting out getting beat down by every other zombie, then by the time I got to Jake's last chapter I don't think I got hit. I'm going through the last campaign at the minute and only get hit by environmental poo poo, it feels almost too easy now.

So yeah, dodge roll!
Also be sure to use your quick shot often. It's a guaranteed stagger on most enemies up close, leaving you free to finish them off with melee attacks. It's been my bread-and-butter tactic for most of the major mook fights, and makes a huge difference.

I have a few gripes here and there (mostly stuff that's been mentioned, like a couple of particularly dodgy QTEs and that loving blizzard mission), but it's been far outweighed by the good stuff. Really looking forward to cranking up the difficulty for a second run, not to mention getting stuck into Mercenaries properly.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Thievery posted:

edit - also never really used quick shot, does it just lock on to whatever's in front of you? I tried it a couple of times but I'm pretty good at headshots so it wasn't too bad. Is very very useful for giving you and your partner some breathing room under pressure though.
I think it locks to the closest visible enemy, not entirely sure though. Some weapons have their own combos with repeated quick shots, my fave being Helena's showboating with the Hydra. It's also a good way to do serious damage with the sniper rifle in close quarters.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Personally, I'd say the controls are the best they've ever been (once tweaked slightly as mentioned). They don't do a very good job of explaining them to you though. Yeah, the swimming isn't great, but there's mercifully little of it. I also had some frustrating moments during chase scenes where my gal seem determined to veer around escape ladders, but only once or twice.

I can understand people not getting along with it. It reminds me of Vanquish in a way, in that it lets you play the game as a standard third-person cover shooter, but you'll be pretty much fighting against it if you try playing that way. gently caress knows what someone who never played a recent Resi game would make of it.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Those climbing QTEs are explained really badly, I had the same problem. The trick is to keep the previous button pressed as you press the next one, but I didn't get that from the icons at all.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Fraction posted:

That film was hilariously fun like all the others, and more than worth it for Jill's battle suit :mad:
Either there's a joke going way over my head here, or you're getting it mixed up with Retribution.

The CG Resi films are a good example in how sticking to the source material can actually end up worse than a Mary Sue vanity project made by people who don't really give that much of a gently caress about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Fraction posted:

Oh I dunno any of the names of them, I'm talking about the one that juuuust came out in the cinema :v:
Damnation is the CG one that just came out straight to DVD. They're unrelated to the movies and stick a lot closer to the source, but very much 'for the fans'.