Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah the control scheme adapts pretty well to PC but as soon as you plug in a controller it begins to fall apart.

Really? I thought it controlled really well with a controller. Main problem was the game didn't bother telling you anything about the controls or combat that was actually useful. Plus, even when it tries, it's usually unhelpfully vague. Like with a coup-de-grace, it just tells you that you can do them once enemies are stunned and they'll give you extra time in Mercenaries. Doesn't bother saying that you actually need to stun enemies twice to use one, or even how to properly stun enemies in the first place. I had to look up a few guides online to find out about all the mechanics in the game, and even then I found out a few things that they hadn't mentioned (like clicking the left stick in to roll, for instance). All worth it in the end though, since Mercenaries is incredibly good fun once you can control things well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
That adaptive difficulty stuff explains why I was finding RE4 so tough this time around, then. I was playing the PC version and was finding it much tougher than I remembered the PS2 version being. I've only died once up to the point I've played so far, whereas I'd have probably died several more times back on the PS2.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

1redflag posted:

Care to explain?

Appears to be a glitch where you set up an enemy for a coup-de-grace, then throw a grenade down, and then do the coup-de-grace. If the grenade goes off during the coup-de-grace animation (or perhaps just after you get the extra time from the coup-de-grace?) it gives you bonus time for all the enemies killed by the grenade, rather than just the one hit with the melee.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Fereydun posted:

Yep. It's after the animation during the recovery too, as you can see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV89R4GKNro

I was playing with a dude who was able to do it pretty much nonstop vs. large crowds and we would constantly end up with over 30 minutes left on the clock whenever the game ended. It's really cool!

Hey, that's pretty awesome! I wonder why it happens, exactly. I suppose the game sets some kind of time bonus window for enemies killed while the animation's playing, but doesn't bother to screen how the enemies actually died? Can't help but wonder if stuff like this is intentional, or if they at least didn't fix it on purpose.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

I fired up RE5 for the first time in ages, and is it just me or is it, like, wildly unbalanced? Granted, I *am* playing with AI Sheva, but it seems like either total feast or famine when it comes to ammo drops. Seemed fine until I got to the marshlands/oilfield/underground caverns, then the whole time I was burning through more ammo than I could find, barely got shotgun/MG drops, and Sheva was always dangerously close to being out of ammo. Even using melee prompts at every opportunity and upgrading my guns, I was still constantly running dry.

Now I'm in the part after beating that spider boss, and pretty much all my drops now are shotgun shells, and I've somehow stockpiled 48 magnum bullets in my between-chapter inventory space.

I saw an explanation many pages ago in this thread of RE5's dynamic difficulty system, where the game would adjust damage enemies do to you, damage you do to enemies, ammo drops, etc., all on the fly (within certain boundaries depending on the difficulty setting you chose). If you hurt enemies a bunch without getting hurt or dying yourself, the difficulty goes up and stays there until you do. RE4 has a similar system, and I figured that it could be why I was struggling much more on my last playthrough on PC, since I'd been dying much less than I had previously. Could it be that this is what's happening to you?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Akuma posted:

I booted up RE6 for the first time in months recently for an EX3 ticket event and read some patch note about making QTEs automatic as a toggle? I think?

I don't remember this being the case when I played the PC version a few months ago. Perhaps you're thinking of the easiest difficulty, which does QTEs automatically by default? Maybe that was patched in.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd like to see some DLC with the original voice tracks from RE1 played at appropriate moments. I mean obviously there's a lot of stuff that would have to remain unaltered but there's a lot of opportunity for some hilarious scenes.

Well, someone might mod it in on PC eventually anyway (if that's even possible given however it ends up being ported).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Azran posted:

You know the animation that plays BEFORE you can press Start to enter the menu? Let it play completely, at the end someone says Resident Evil 6.

:(

I noticed this too, and it made me very sad that it's now optional. Everyone should be forced to listen to the gruff voice. :(

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SpaceBees posted:

Wait are you serious? How could you get killed by acid? I've played the game a few times and I never remember dying like that, or even fighting an enemy with acid attacks.

There were flying enemies that would grab your face and spray acid on it, if you gave them long enough. Leon would fall over and his face would start melting and he'd die. Can't remember if it was an instakill move or if they'd only do it when you were on really low health, though.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I have a decent PC, but for some reason RE4 HD runs like poo poo. I have to set it to 30FPS lock or I get super slowdown.

I think the game only likes running at 30 or 60fps. So if you're running it on 60fps mode and not quite getting 60, it runs like crap. Unless of course you mean that your PC should be able to more than handle it at 60fps, in which case I don't know what to tell you.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I've been slowly playing more RE6, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I feel that it's important to say that the chase section near the end of Chris's campaign, and the sub escape from Ada's chapter one were two of the most aggressively unfun things I've ever played. Like holy cow. Maybe it was the keyboard controls, but it took me a while to figure out not to touch my mouse.

A friend and I died about five or six times during that chase bit in Chris' campaign (assuming you're on about the bit where you're underwater and the tunnels start collapsing/being attacked) when playing co-op because the camera was incredibly unhelpful in helping you to figure out which direction to go, and it was really easy to die if you tried to go the wrong way for even a second. Might've been alright with AI, since you could always follow them in order to figure things out, but with two co-op partners, each of whom have never played the game before, both having to restart every time the other died, on top of the odd bug like a player getting stuck on the environment for a moment... Yeah, that just plain wasn't fun.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Did 6 have a decent mercs mode? Honestly I played the entire game for maybe 2 hours and it really rubbed the wrong way so I was done with it. I've been kind of considering giving it a second chance lately. I just remember hating the feel of it a the time, but I think a few years ago I would have hated Revelations 2 also and I'm enjoying it well enough even though the campaign was on the mediocre side of things.

6 has my favourite combat system of any of the main series games, and Mercenaries mode is incredibly great fun in co-op, I think. So long as you get good at the mechanics (which the game does very little to explain) and have a friend to play with, I reckon you could have a great time in Mercenaries. I still go back to it now and then 'cause I think it's so fun. Can't really compare it to RE5's Mercenaries though, since I didn't play that mode very much.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Wasn't the problem with 6s Mercs mode that they halved the number of enemies that came at you on any given run? 150 down from 300? And then only the PC version had the option to get back to the bigger enemy waves?

Ah, to be honest, I didn't even think of that. RE6's Mercs mode was the first one I played a whole bunch of, and I had the PC version (which has No Mercy mode, with 300 enemies), so that being a problem didn't even occur to me.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Geight posted:

Capcom's just been wanting to try out different marketing/pricing schemes lately, Ghost Trick on iOS had a really clever set-up where you could play the first two chapters for free and then buy the rest of the game, which a lot of people did because nobody could play just two chapters of Ghost Trick and not want the rest of it.

While I think Ghost Trick's incredible, I didn't think this necessarily worked. Still bought the full game because I'd been told by several friends that the game was excellent, but the first two chapters were overly wordy and tutorialised, in my opinion. Most of the game's fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I didn't exactly think the beginning was too much of a hook. Nonetheless, it's hard to complain about being offered a free demo!

By the way, Capcom did the same thing on iOS with the Phoenix Wright HD Trilogy and Dual Destinies. Got to play the first case (and I think in the trilogy, the first two cases of the first game) before you'd have to pay anything.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

So since I returned Rev2 like chump I used the cash to grab Resident Evil 5.

Once we finish this I was thinking of just getting 6 instead of hopping back onto Rev 2.
So for it should I be doing specific chapters in order?

Basically the only thing you want to avoid doing is playing Ada's campaign first, as that'll spoil the plot of all the others (not that the plot's any good, really). Aside from that, pretty much everyone I've ever spoken to about RE6 has a different opinion on which campaigns they liked more than others, so I'd just jump into whichever one you feel like. Personally I wouldn't have thought it'd be an especially good idea to jump between chapters of different campaigns, but then again I didn't play it that way, so maybe that's fun too.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

We'll probably skip practicing moves but thanks I thought six would just be more like 4 & 5 in the moveset department.

I wouldn't exactly say you need to practice, it's more like you should read up on some of the moves you can do before you start playing the game, just so you're aware of your options before you get into combat. There's a wealth of options in the mechanics, and they're absolutely fantastic. The problem is that very little of this is mentioned in-game, and it's usually horrendously explained when it is. Here's a nice little short guide that should explain some of the things the game doesn't bother with. I'd recommend giving it a skim before you start, and then you're probably set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

And a really stupid plot.

Pretty sure this is a requirement for Resident Evil games at this point.