Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so I bit the bullet on RE6 for £5 and this is the most insane game ever made. I love it. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

an Enhanced Edition of 6 that smoothed over some of its many rough edges while maintaining its complete insanity would be great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing re6 again and going prodromal trying to figure out if it's fun or not. Maybe if I go more insane ill understand why my character takes up 70% of the screen at all times but never the same 70%

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fereydun posted:

there are fov settings in the options and always max them out to 15

always

always
that is much much better. I was trying to find them in-game but I was in Chris's weird radial menu where nothing is displayed properly at all and then Piers got blown ujp by something even though I was almost certainly in a safe zone

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LordZoric posted:

Hi RE thread, I just finished VII and overall thought it was great though I felt that the last quarter lost a ton of steam. I hope this becomes the new standard for RE games from here on out.

I realized after I beat it that I somehow never got around to playing RE VI. I've heard a lot of negative buzz about it. If loved RE IV and had a lot of fun with V, would I still enjoy it? Or is it just that bad?
RE6 has brilliant controls and basic gameplay and everything else sucks. I'm actually playing through it atm and having a lot of fun with it, partially in marveling at how utterly insane the campaign is. For example, at one point you spend half an hour pressing A every time you see a giant fish and then you slide down a water slide after it, then a completely inexplicable barrel of TNT flies over your head and blows it up and nobody ever mentions it again. If video games are art, RE6 is dadaism

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

If humans only use 10% of their brains then the other 90% of mine is storage for all of the useless bullshit I can remember so quickly.
I'm going to stab 90% of the surface of your brain to see if it improves its functioning

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is the Requiem for War mercs map in RE6 supposed to be loving impossible? Keep trying it with Chris and dying horribly. Closest I came to success, a giant walked up behind me and stomped me for an instant kill while I was locked in an animation lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finished RE6 over yesterday and today and now I'm schizophrenic. it's one of the most insane games ever made

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

punished "venom" Jake

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I've been doing this. We found a chapter order guide or whatever and we have been following that. It got really annoying with Leon when Helena or whatever didn't want to tell us what the gently caress was going on until we got to the cathedral or whatever. That whole thing sucked and then Ada comes out as well and it's literally like what the gently caress is even happening lol.

It uh gets a lot weirder from there trust me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I had a dream that the Not A Hero DLC came out and it has you playing as a bear wrestling zombies and biting their heads off and stuff and occasionally you meet important RE characters and they go "oh, you're not a hero, you're just a bear" and this is canon for me now

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know if I can bring myself to play Ada's campaign in RE6 because the three main ones were quite enough and it might explain why there are two Adas running around being weird and why Simmons stops the final battle to give a jilted lover monologue complete with weird music and the explanation will be stupefyingly retarded

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Backhand posted:

It's incredibly nitpicky, but the only reason you needed plastic explosives to get into the chief's office was because a helicopter crashed into the side of the building and you had to clear the wreckage out of the way.

Of course, the chopper did crash because a guy with a submachine gun first allowed two zombies to somehow sneak up on him, then corner him on a completely open rooftop, then panic-fired his gun in such a way as to perfectly miss the zombies and hit the pilot instead.... so, there was that.
let's be fair, he was just the vector - the helicopter crashed because Leon was nearby.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I finally beat the Leon and Chris campaign in RE6 and holy loving poo poo dude. They really wanted to go outdo themselves after RE5.
so you've yet to play the one where you get in a Street Fighter battle with Nemesis and do stone cold stunners on him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

Someday I'll stop being lazy and read the FATE rules and then run a RE inspired game where you're employees at Umbrella trying to get out of the labs and have to deal with all the puzzle doors.
I read this as FATAL and that would be good too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vakal posted:

I want Capcom to pull a Dead Rising 2: Off the Record with Resident Evil 7 and replace Ethan with Leon.

The game will be over in 20 minutes because when Mia first tries to attack him in the prelude, Leon will just suplex her, mutter "women..." to himself and then throw her unconscious body into his car and go home.

He'd crash the car and things would proceed from there

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jet skis can't go very far and he was heading into the open ocean. Assuming they were rescued by helicopter the jet ski was abandoned and wrecked

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wasn't, but only until they showed that you play as the same dude in the chris redfield dlc. people just don't like giving up their pet theories.
One of the things that really threw me was the DLC where you play as maybe-Chris being called "Not a Hero". I mean really that does not help

it's moot now though ofc

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jolo posted:

The main thing I find myself really wanting in re4 is a quick weapon swap to skip menu screens in the middle of combat off and on. In the part where you're defending Ashley while she turns the cranks in the castle lobby, it's a lot of swapping between the rifle to help her and the pistol or shotgun to defend yourself. Also, that whole sequence in the lobby is so so good. Every time I play through it I notice how the balance feels like it's just a few enemies away from being too much to handle, while a few less would make the whole sequence too easy.
That whole bit is brilliant, every time I've played, whatever difficulty, I go in 100% prepared and still come out the other side with three pistol bullets and a flash grenade. RE4's dynamic difficulty is unmatched

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Jesus Christ. "Molded" are the most boring enemy from any game I can recall.

I really do love RE7 overall, but encounters with Molded are practically the cure for insomnia after a couple of runs through the game; even when it's a difficult situation, they're just not interesting monsters to evade or fight off.
I'm on my first playthrough and yeah I'm agreeing with this. Seeing them in the main lobby when heading out for keycards made me jump reflexively but they're just not interesting. At least zombies are classic and sometimes tough to squeeze past, Molded are just dumb lumpy turds and I can barely even tell when I'm hitting them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I can't really imagine replaying RE7 except to check out the DLC. It's a well-made game but it's a super basic haunted house and I feel like it would be boring when you know what's coming

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also suplexing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Took me a while to get it. Quite honestly I only remember that date because it's a mate's birthday. It's also Hitler's birthday but whatever.
it's Columbine Day :toot:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

The AAA development model doesn't seem very sustainable if sales like that are considered a disappointment.
It's absolutely unsustainable. Everyone wants to make CoD money and throws cash down the drain on advertising to try to achieve it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's the green herb page

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man remake is still great but it's just not scary at all after re7. It terrified me too much to play when I was younger so I was hoping it would still give me a good Halloween spookin

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I've completely turned around on Claire's Quickdraw after learning that zombies take the same amount of damage to the body and the head. Just magdump center-mass and melt every zombie you go by; trying to headshot with that feather trigger inaccurate piece of poo poo is a nightmare.

Yeah, it took me a while to realise that I should just be using it to stop in front of a zombie for .5 seconds and put 3-6 bullets in its chest. More than enough ammo and once you're at the sewers you'll have enough gunpowder to make enough grenade/SMG rounds to do the rest of the game with ease

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Now save less and get that minigun

Any word on what the next DLC is? I'm assuming an Extreme Battle mode

A minigame where you get to suck and tug Mr X to completion and swallow his big cums.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

She's a good character but that first scene is terribly written. I get what they were trying to put across but it's too hamfisted to work and I am aware that I am saying this about a resident evil game yes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

okay so i've heard from many a goon that Resident Evil 6 has surprisingly deep gameplay but it doesn't explain any of it. Is there somewhere that has a good rundown of what the cool poo poo is?
You want this guide, it's really good and covers both the actual unexplained controls and all the stuff you can do with them:

https://www.scribd.com/document/275246575/Resident-Evil-6-Advanced-Controls-Guide-Ps3

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Replace lickers with sloths

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Having a wee chuckle imagining g6 just being a helicopter with eyes on it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So do you just rely on the grenade launcher all game? I don't understand how to use spark shot other than clearing blobs on the way kut of the room where you get it, but I find the SMG really useful against G

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

the part with the g adults in the sewers could arguably be the hardest part of the game. it's like that, the west hallway, and i guess the room with all of the ivy's in nest. none of these parts are actually difficult if you know what you're doing, but all three of them are SUPER difficult if you don't know what you're doing. you can get two lickers in the west hallway plus god only knows how many zombies if you didn't board it up or come back a lot because of bad planning. the slidey boys are easy to bypass if you know exactly what to do and are surprising bullet sponges that can gently caress you up in tight corridors if you don't. and ivy's have that OHKO and have the special mechanic for keeping them dead.

of course if you only ever go into the west hallway twice and or board it up, know the licker despawn trick. no problem. you only need to kill two g adults in the section where you go get the two plugs, and you can also bait their grab attack or slip around them if you can bait them into going underwater. and you don't have to kill a single ivy at all and they're actually the easiest enemy in the game to stagger since you just need to hit a single bulb. i think you can get through the nest while only taking two shots at an ivy and killing zero.

so yeah. all three of those parts are probably the roughest. but they can all be trivialized.
apparently the G section is designed to be a pain in the rear end / ammo sink, from this generally pretty interesting interview

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/07/resident-evil-2-is-a-crash-course-in-speedrunning/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

First serious try at S-running Leon A. I've just left the parking garage for the first time at 58 minutes, reckon I'm on track? Probably going to leave the Magnum to after the sewers so I can get all its upgrades and avoid arsing about in the station at the point I'm at

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Party Boat posted:

You sound like you're on a similar pace to me in my Claire A standard run, I finished at 2h22 which included a return to the station to clear it out.
seems like I got a bit bogged down somewhere, maybe wasn't quite as efficient about the whole clock tower run/route as I could have been. However, I've made it to NEST at 2h25 having taken a post-sewers detour for the fully upgraded magnum, so I'm sure I'll finish with time to spare - think NEST should only take half an hour max.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gun down all lickers on sight with all the firepower god has granted you imo. There's only a few in the game so it's a negligible overall ammo investment and it's worth it because they're horrible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please ignore my number of saves but I'm very proud of myself. I was terrified of one last G3/Tyrant grab loving up and making me take over 3 hours lol, I'm aware that the time is 3:30 so it wouldn't matter but it would have bothered me intensely

is the infinite samurai edge actually a good weapon or should I just stick to normal stuff? Not like ammo is scarce

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of miss the era of completely inscrutable Christian symbolism in Japanese media because they just thought the stuff looked cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just zigzag past the dogs because I can't loving hit them.

I would switch to mouse and keyboard for aiming but I quite like the slightly clunky gamepad aiming - it works for the game imo - and I don't like the keyboard controls for moving around