Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They have always been silly to differing degrees, 4 was the first one in the series to actually embrace it in a tongue in cheek way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

This reminds me, where in the timeline do the extra story bits in Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles take place? Same question for the hilariously expensive and apparently terrible Gaiden? There's kind of a vague period between 3 and 4 where a bunch of unimportant poo poo seems to happen and I want to play it in the right order for some reason.
They all occur before 4.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

Right, I was just wondering if they happened in a specific order or what.
Looking into it, the stuff with Leon and Krauser occurs before the stuff in Siberia with Jill and Chris. So play Darkside first.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can't actually get the canon endings in both 1 and 2. The canon endings are these fusions of both character paths that don't actually occur in the game. (i.e. Rebecca and Barry both survive in canon but only one can be saved in-game; Claire A Leon B is the canon path, but Ada's canon "death" is from Leon A.) As stated before RE's plot is a hot mess so don't stress it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadows of the Damned was fun except for the Big Boner level, that was such a pain in the rear end.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Leon was bitten by a radioactive secret service agent in between Resident Evil 2 and 4. He went from kinda dorky guy who everybody ignored, to this super-badass with no real explanation.
To be fair, Leon did pretty drat well considering it was his first day on the force.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2 is my favorite game in the series after 4 so yeah, definitely looking forward to this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunethex posted:

Capcom has been awfully quiet on Resident Evil lately and we're a bit past the point where a new main RE installment would have been released, wonder what they're up to.
They just announced that they're making an entire remake of RE2 recently.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Revelations 2's campaign just felt like they didn't know what to do gameplay wise because they were to busy cribbing from other games like Evil Within and Last of Us to see if it all actually worked as a whole. They made ammo scarce as poo poo but they make it where you can't really stealth by enemies as Claire and Moira so you can just gently caress yourself fairly easily. I gave up in like Episode 2. I had fun with Raid Mode so I got my money's worth at least.

Rev 1 was a legit good game and its a shame 2 sucked.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also the police station was funded and designed by Umbrella, so that's a good explanation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Turdfuzz posted:

i think i loving love resident evil 6
Play the Mercenaries Mode, its the best part of the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Leon always holding a candle for a woman that has zero interest in him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also makes more sense that Mr. X is chasing after Claire and Sherry instead of Leon.

Leon A/Claire B was my first playthrough too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope they screw with you like they did in REMake if you played the original verison of 1. Like do what they did with the cerberuses with the interrogation room licker.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The save room themes are all usually top notch, original 2 being my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMz6bhXyNZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pZV3UPmXI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnZ9w5ghwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1o_3yBe6Cg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fcZ1H4pOW0

Also Alexia's Theme, namely the Darkside Chronicles remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREltrjzIDc

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also special shotout to RE2's Scenario B credits theme because its 90's as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSSUrMmfro

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wanderer posted:

For example, in the original, Claire has Leon bring Sherry to the escape train in... I think it's Leon B.
Yeah, Claire A/Leon B has the whole subplot of making the G-Embryo cure for Sherry that doesn't appear at all in the alternate path.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I feel that the character themes in 4's Mercenaries are memorable too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTYG2T-IxBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ecDQmeO1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapp_Dn1OnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaBiqa5feTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxb2-eRhka8

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The demo was set on Normal because I died once during it because I didn't use my first aid spray because I thought I could get away without it and the game asked me if I wanted to play on Easy.

DLC Inc posted:

I'd like Sheva and/or Sherry to come back as operatives for Nu Umbrella. I'm really not sure where the series can go after 6/7 but I guess it involves that weird group Lucas was in contact with, The Collective or The Institutes or whatever that group was called. So many loose ends have already been tied up (Barry's fate, the Wesker children, Ozwell Spencer) that the only remaining question I logically can pose is "where's Becky Chambers"
Lucas killed off a bunch of The Connections guys, so I don't even know if they're even still around. They did mention the Organization Wesker worked for in Code Veronica tied into Eveline's creation so maybe they're the ones that will take over.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Crimson Heads have always been in REmake.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Compared to the other REs this one is practically a stealth game, I'm not complaining but sheesh they throw a lot of zombies at you compared to the original.

I've been going Leon A/Claire B because that's how I first played through the original game.

I've been kind of taking my time avoiding zombies and getting all the items I can so I'm not super far in yet on Leon A, just ran into the first licker and tensely stealthed by it a few times to get everything I could in the STARS office.

Really good poo poo so far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

enojy posted:

These are my favorite moments in video games. Electrical tape that can't be removed without a combat knife. That 8" pile of rocks in Dark Souls II on the path to Drangleic Castle that you can't get across. Climbing literal mountains in Breath of The Wild, but not if it's raining, because how the gently caress do you think you can get any sort of traction in those weird floppy Link boots trying to climb a god damned mountain covered in mud and running water
My favorite is still that flimsy wooden door with busted out glass windows where you could reach in the other side but the only way to open it was with 100 points in lockpicking in New Vegas.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's kind of amusing how Marvin lasts longer than did he in the original but Ben bites it the first time you meet him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vikar Jerome posted:

haha just got to this part started to say out loud "now get outta here before ya lead it right to-" oh too late. :eyepop:
And then Mr. X turns him into one of those stress relief dolls.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
After having beaten REmake for the first time recently I'm thankful that the Cerberuses in this game go down like in three or four handgun rounds.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

about to go to a kennel area and I'm dreading how much of a pain in the rear end loving dogs will be for anything but the shotgun.
They actually go down with like three shots of the handgun on Normal, I think they're actually easier than the human zombies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaubocks posted:

i put out the fire from the helicopter and i have deep regrets
What, you don't want to hang out with your best bro? For shame.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

Does movement speed effect Mr. X's ability to detect you when he's patrolling?
He can hear you if you're running and he's close by, like in the next room. Most of the time its gunshots that will draw him though.

Peewi posted:

I guess mouse & keyboard players can just get hosed. There's no "walk slow" button.

It's not a huge deal, I still finished the game just shooting lickers, but if there's an actual gameplay reason to move slowly it'd be nice to be able to.
I was able to sneak by the licker in the STARS office hallway consistently by just walking normally and I'm playing KB+M.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gunder posted:

So are you meant to just ignore the regular handguns then? Seems a bit fiddly.
I'm still on Leon A but I feel like this game needs a balance patch to fix some things, some of the difficulty just feels arbitrary, namely the damage you deal to human zombies.

I think I'll be able to beat Leon A fine on Normal but I might just run Claire B on Easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chief Irons always did stand out as being a truly heinous piece of poo poo in a series where most of the villains are hammy scenery chewers.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codo27 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. I just realized I never found the heart key. Is that B only?
Only Claire can get it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pomp posted:

Saying re6 is good for any reason should get you a sixer
6's Mercenaries is like the best in the series. I bought the game on sale on Steam just for that and wasn't disappointed. (Though I've never touched the campaign)

Just beat Leon A. Definitely a great game, though I still think they still need a patch to iron out some stuff. I'll probably be rolling Claire B on Easy next, just to go through it faster and to move on to the rest of my backlog.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Claire's campaign and especially the Sherry part in the orphanage has totally felt like DLC so far. It feels like Leon's was the main campaign and this is just like a bonus mission for after you finish his campaign.

Was the Sherry stuff in the original game at all? I can't imagine that hide and seek puzzle thing being in a game from 1998.
She did have her own section in the sewers and it wasn't stealth based, the orphanage stuff is all new. The segment was pretty easy though because zombies couldn't grab her, they just vomited on her if she got too close.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

blackguy32 posted:

I will say this. Use your ammo. I hoarded a bunch of grenade launcher ammo thinking that I would see stronger monsters but there are only like what 10 lickers in the whole game?
There's also very little point in fighting lickers because they're so easy to avoid if they're the only enemies in a room.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dewgy posted:

e: Regarding the ghost survivors DLC, was there any indication at all that the corpse in the orphanage is the mayor’s daughter? I mean, I know it myself from having played the original, but without that I don’t remember it coming up in the new one at all.
I don't think it gets brought up in the remake because I didn't find any files or anything, but yeah its her.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, skip Rev 2; it was kind of jumbled mess because Capcom clearly couldn't decide if they wanted the game to be more survival horror or action horror and in the process they screwed up at being either one well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 29, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You unlock HUNK by just beating a B scenario, doesn't matter the difficulty.

Broose posted:

I had no idea RDR2 was THAT popular. Really hadn't paid any attention to it.
It's a modern Rockstar game, of course it sold like gangbusters.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wesker set the standard that all who take that path follow.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BigHandsVince posted:

Been collecting the Racoon statues, I'm now in the labs. I missed one in the supplies storage room in the sewers, is there any way back to get it?
The labs are the point of no return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

It’s a college student with a portable Gatling gun to be fair.
Also who was trained by her brother who punches boulders.