Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Just got the PC version and completing Leon's first chapter totally killed any desire I had to continue playing. Please tell me it gets better from here on out because so far it's not even close to RE5's mediocrity.

Oh, yes, definitely. Leon's 1st chapter is the worst in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I love the Serbian J'avo. For a gang of mutant insurgents, they have such jolly laughs. :allears:

Regarding the bit about Chris's political views (a bit late, I know) - I think he was supposed to be an ex-army drifter when Barry got him a job at the RCPD, and you could see a motorcycle jacket and bass guitar in his cubicle in the precinct. We know he's a bit of a drifter, so distrusting The System seems perfectly in character for him. Maybe that's how he'll wind up bonding with Jake - they'll just get drunk and complain about America.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
The Bouncer also featured a solar energy satellite that doubled as a space laser. Oh, and you could build them in Sim City - they would occasionally miss the receiver plate and blow up a building or city block. Whoops.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Was it using a rocket launcher on more than one enemy? Because that was how I became a Sailor Man.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
You are a blessing to this thread, Captain Swing. :allears:

Crowetron posted:

So THAT'S who Agent is. It all makes sense!

If Agent turns out to be anyone we know, my (imaginary) money's on Raymond. We know he's into cloak and dagger stuff, and it wouldn't be the first time he put on a helmet and played the mystery man.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 17, 2013

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
If they have have Chris come out as gay, his beefcake outfits will go from hilarious, lighthearted joke to crass stereotype, and will have to be discontinued. I am very much against that.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I've heard a lot of arguments for why the more recent games are terrible and/or not Survival Horror, but the only one that struck me as being accurate and cogent is the noting of location-based gameplay versus the "action path" trend. Resident Evil has definitely been using more of the latter of late, and it goes a way towards explaining the general reaction to Revelations.

That said, I want to bring up RE6's Rasklapanje sections - they're essentially stages where you get dropped in a spooky maze and made to go on a scavenger hunt while pursued by regenerating enemies that can potentially instakill players. That's "classic Resident Evil" in microcosm and, if RE6 is truly a pure action game devoid of exploration and terror, in what way are these parts inadequate and/or false?

Crowetron posted:

J'avo are like if every basic enemy was a tiny little William Birkin and it is fantastic.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. J'avo are awesome in both design and execution, and I love this game and series for having them. :allears:

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2013

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

'cause Rastafaris are awful zero-threat enemies that you can just waltz past, making those sections really, really boring.

Incidentally, I find a lot of the famously menacing enemies in the old games have this problem on more recent replays. Resident Evil suffers greatly from nostalgia, I'm afraid. :(

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I forgot that his Partner Thank in Revelations is him saying he'll buy you lunch. But those are just as expensive as dinners, right?

I loved doing that in the middle of long elevator rides. It was like having a Resident Evil/Mass Effect crossover. :allears:

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
In all seriousness, RE: Outbreak HD on XBL, PSN, and Steam would be one of the smartest things that Capcom could possibly do, right now.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

MH Knights posted:

I still want a BSAA themed XCOM game. Pretty much all of the game play elements from XCOM could transplant into the RE universe. Even the Enemy Within stuff like cybernetics and genetic enhancement.

Having your squaddies attack the same monster in sequence would allow you to set up the co-op melee attacks, and every mission ends with a Mercenaries-style score screen.

Really, the concept is just a never-ending font of possibilities.

Klaus Kinski posted:

You're a terrible person if you play RE non-couch, no-beer co-op.

It's almost unbelievable how well Resident Evil and alcohol go together.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2015

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
D.C. Douglas was talking about how happy he was about some VA gig a few of months ago on twitter, while being conspicuously secretive about what it actually was.

I immediately assumed Wesker was going to be in RE:R2.

Renoistic posted:

Jake's campaign in RE6 was pretty entertaining but the avalanche and bike sections were pure bullshit. The bike section a little less so once I learned to use the breaks more often. It seems like the campaign would be a nightmare in coop. The final boss fight was pretty fun but REALLY easy, especially compared to Chris'.

My favorite part was playing hide and seek with random Agent Hunt players in the big dumb Chinese mansion. Well, that and going Fist of the North Star on the Ustanak.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 23, 2015

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Alteisen posted:

That email is pretty funny.

The writing in this game has been everything I wanted from a Resident Evil game. :swoon:

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I rather like the design of the main antagonist. It feels like the hag archetype has been making a comeback, lately. It was also a pretty fun boss fight, although probably the easiest one in this game.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Which character gets Shotgun Mastery soonest? I've been playing Moira and loving my Drake, but the Shotgun and Rifle are the only masteries she doesn't get.

Pedro starts with it.

Night10194 posted:

Alright, Barry actually bringing like, 3 reasonable guns and some backup ammo with him to go try to rescue his daughter officially makes him better prepared and more savvy than Chris ever was.

Chris was armed to the teeth for all his bits of Revelations 1 - he had a pistol, a shotgun, and an assault rifle, with like two extra clips for each.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Geight posted:

Y'know this Dreadnought event might be a little silly, but sometimes I just sit back and think about how cool RE.net is. It's like, this whole website built around obsessive RE play and it rewards you with free stuff for games or just pretty stat tracking. Also if any goons wanna be site buddies so we can reach that "10 web buddies" medal, drop your names in here. My name there is the same as here!

I'm JeedyJay on RE.net.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Did anybody else notice that the rabbits in The Struggle are ripped straight from Dragon's Dogma? Same model, same animations, and they make the same noise when you kill them. That's some quality asset recycling, right there. Now I'm wondering when they're going to drop or Chimaera or something into a DLC map.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Geight posted:

HUNK is a badass and also just a super-good Raid mode character - starting with all four weapon slots unlocked is a huge leg up over the competition, and his basic skill is pretty solid too. It isn't just invisibility, it apparently also lets you perform follow-ups from any enemy you get behind even if they aren't stunned.

That would be the "stealth kill" move. You can do it on any enemy that doesn't know you're there (in Raid Mode, that mostly just means someone you hit with a smokescreen, Stealth Cloak aside). It's also useable on any enemy you've hit with Alex's mind control ability.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, the default FOV is awful. But the latest update or the PC version does give you the option of altering the FOV so pick it up on a Steam sale or something.

The console versions, too, which is kind of nuts. Console games almost never give you FOV options.

Also, I'm going to argue that RE6 had a perfect inventory system... for Mercenaries. The way it works in the campaign, especially with the old-school-FPS-like way the game just throws more and more guns into your arsenal, is terrible. The more I think about it, the more it seems like RE6 was originally designed around it's Mercenaries and multiplayer modes, then hurriedly adapted into big dumb epic of a storyline by a legion of designers who didn't get to talk to each other very much.

Renoistic posted:

Just beat RE5. Wesker's VA didn't really save the game in my opinion, but he sure tried his hardest!

The only voice actor who has done more for this franchise than DC Douglas is Barry Gjerde.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2015

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

People who hate RE6 clearly did not play co-op Jake's campaign. It is the most amazing catastrophe. The fight against the BOW where just just kinda wander around and eventually things happen because the game doesn't really tell you where to go. Looking for data chips in a big, dark mountain, shortly followed by a two-player snowmobile escape through narrow passageways where you can collide into each other and ruin everything. Then there's a long stealth section with insta-death failure states that is insanely easy to mess up with two players. Somehow the game then reveals that it actually has competent developers on the team with a legitimately great mansion escape sequence where both players get interesting separate objectives and the action is relatively subdued compared to the entirety of the game. It turns out it was a fluke as you then encounter Ustanak for the third time while an entire city blows up around you. The campaign is topped off in an underwater lava factory where Jake has a whole character arc moment swearing he won't be like his father and will save the world but instead you just fight Ustanak for a fourth (!!!) time and then Sherry and Jake fall in love.

What loops this all around to amazing is the masterstroke they call a credits theme. :golfclap:

My co-op partner and I absolutely could not comprehend what we had experienced and what we were listening to. I highly recommend Jake's campaign to anybody.

I thought Jake and Sherry had legit good chemistry.

Also, here's a picture from an all-Japanese language section of RE.net I stumbled into on accident

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

1st AD posted:

RE6 is Final Fight with Zombies and if you're trying to shoot your way through you're playing it wrong :colbert:

This is the absolute truth. If you play it like a third-person shooter with melee attacks, you're going to have a bad day.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Speedball posted:

Lady Hunk? Huh. Not complainin', I just didn't see that coming.

Weren't there at least three female Hunkalikes in Operation Raccoon City?

It's from the Revelations 1 Raid Mode. Apparently, Lady HUNK was a developer in-joke that made it's way into the final game.

Broose posted:

Sound like Gina, but Lady hunk has a filter that sounds like shes speaking under the mask. Mutant Pedro also has a filter that makes him sound ghoulish. Lottie does have his own silly voice clips though

:zombie:Gracias!:zombie:

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
So, I went and bought Operation Raccoon City on sale. Not a well-made game, but... weirdly enjoyable.

Oddly, it feels like a Shadowrun game.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I'm kind of dreading the inevitable introduction of enemies with ranged attacks to the Attack of the Giant Monsters events, but it least I'll have to do something other than crouch and shoot. I anticipate spending a lot of time taking cover in that little grotto between the beaches.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

RE1 had Wesker, the double agent police officer/super scientist, RE2 had Ada and Hunk, RE3 had an entire squadron of Umbrella mercenaries, RE:CV had Wesker: Matrix Edition, RE4 had Leon and Ada, RE5 had BSSA and Wesker, RE6 had BSSA, Leon and Sherry/Jake, etc etc

The BSAA aren't so much superspies as they are militarized Ghostbusters.

"We ain't afraid of no B.O.W.s."

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There's a moment in re6 in Jake's campaign in chapter 3 where you can play the piano and it's loving glorious.

Comparing Jake and Sherry's respective performances was delightful. :allears:

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Mr President posted:

RE7 reverted back to the more grounded nature of the PS1 era games and so they redesigned Chris to fit back into a more realistic world not the goofy rear end cartoon version from the ps3/360 era games.

"Cartoon" is quite an exaggeration. There are people IRL with more insane physiques than RE5 Chris, especially among bodybuilders who don't claim to be natty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They couldn't do the RE4 inventory in RE5 and beyond because every game since has been co-op or multiplayer :negative:

Perhaps initially, but I think they've decided that inventory management works better for survival-horror games when it doesn't stop time. Being able to hide in your attache case has a way of taking some of the tension out of the gameplay.