Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Damnnnnnn, that's crazy how polarizing it is. Can't say I'm to surprised from my time with the demo. Course the sales numbers will ultimately decide if RE stays like this.

Sales figures on big franchises like this have seemed for a while to be lagging indicators, at least when it comes to franchises in decline, probably because of the prevalence of pre-order campaigns trying to lock people in before they have access to reviews and other important purchasing decision information.

If a game in a franchise in decline turns out better than expected, you can sometimes see a bit of a sales surge as word gets out about the game. But if the game is worse than expected, the pre-sales are basically already locked in and have obtained their copies before reviews get widespread, and so the drag effect of a bad game doesn't pull down the bad game itself but depresses people's outlook for the next game.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it turns out that this game does end up almost universally panned yet still hits sales projections. That's likely less because there's a silent audience that absolutely loves the game and more that it just represents people who threw down their money before they knew it was a dumpster fire.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU