Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So does anybody think that Capcom will hand off the RE series to a western developer, like they did with Devil May Cry? I am not sure how I would feel about that, but it seems like they were already trying to heavily court western action game players with RE 6. If they are going to continue down that route, I could see them letting someone else handle a mainline RE game at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People in this thread talking about REmake got me thinking... I think a new old school style pre set camera angle RE would be amazing. I would really like to see how such a game could be modernized in 2014. Tighten up the dodge mechanics, controls, and aiming. I think it could work as a smaller downloadable game. There are tons of survival horror fans that would jump on it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So if capcom decided to farm out development to a western developer for the next main entry, who would you want it to be?

Remember when Cliff Blezenski tweeted out that he was willing to help capcom fix RE? I would really have liked to see what he came up with.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah there is no shortage of monster types in the RE universe. I can just imagine the fear you would feel when a Tyrant or Nemesis shows up and decimates your squad.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah remake looks awesome. I think its all about using prerendered backgrounds which frees up the rest of the systems power to be used on character models and effects. Maybe if everyone buys this new Remake then Capcom will finally do a remake of RE2.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Everyone who posts in this thread needs to buy the re release of REmake. I believe if it sells well we will be one step closer to capcom making a completely original classic style RE game for PSN/xbox live.

not that y'all needed my encouragement or anything

Bulkiest Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 6, 2015

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, of course, but you're never going to see a fixed-camera, static-background game again unless a bunch of enterprising fans get together and make it themselves. Better technology exists now, and the only reason you saw anything in that mold after games moved off the original PlayStation was the sheer change resistance of the nerd market.

It'd be like a bunch of guys in 2015 sitting down and making a lazy-rear end hand-drawn cartoon show in the spirit of the original "Masters of the Universe." It's more work than you need to do and you're almost guaranteed a worse result.

I see what your saying, but then how do you explain all the pixel art indie games and 2D side scrolling throwbacks. I think it could totally work to make make an old school survival horror game in 2015, and also modernizing some of the elements that where held back by technology and archaic game design. I imagine something maybe with pre set camera angles for building atmosphere but also the ability to aim from over the shoulder. You are right that it will probably come from fans or the indie scene but I feel like re-exploring the survival horror genre from the 90s in a modern context is something that could be pretty cool.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What's up with capcom charging 50 bucks for revelations on Steam? Looks like its 18 bucks new for PS3. Way to gouge the customer Capcom. Anyways, I am sure PS3 version is fine right?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well I am just looking at the first game, not the sequel which has mutiple parts. Its still 49.99 which seems a bit pricey especially when the PS3 version is so cheap. Guess I will just have to wait for a sale.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want a game where I can just hang out with Claire and Jill without monsters around. Get to know them better, and romance them. Maybe a dating sim?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE6 doubled down on pretty much all the negative factors of RE5 in my opinion. The biggest one being forced co-op. Forced co-op really kills the suspense and atmosphere of RE for me. I say spin off co-op into its own sub series. RE for me is about exploring a lonely, creepy location on your own for the most part.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is there a lore based explanation for why there isn't tons of cops/sheriffs swarming the mansion the second one of their SWAT teams get trapped in it. Is the other STARS team that Rebecca was on the only backup in raccoon city?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I could care less about fixed camera angles and tank controls. I just want a slow burn tense atmosphere, scarce resources, puzzles, and enemies that are enough of a threat that I want to avoid rather than confront. Basically the spirit of the early RE games.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a lore based explanation for why a lovely little podunk midwestern town like Raccoon City has its own elite special forces team? Or was it an eerily prescient commentary on the militarization of the police force in the US?

I certainly like to think the latter. How big is Raccoon city anyways? I got the impression it was decent sized. I mean seems like it has a big downtown area. Plus, the police station is huge... oh wait that was also designed by the crazy dude who is a stooge for umbrella.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I was in charge of the tourism board or chamber of commerce for Springfield I would build a 1:1 scale replica of the Spencer mansion, and charge admission to walk around in it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE0 also has the problem for me of just having really forgettable environments. It's claim to fame is that its RE on a train, but that is not really the most interesting environment to navigate and it quickly gives way to another generic umbrella complex (which is also a prison of some sort?) Its been long enough though that I would probably replay.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That is pretty cool. For some reason in reminds me of a Tim Burton movie. Weird how Capcom was using the movie logo for the outbreak series.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have a feeling RE7 is going to be great. It was a dream I had a few nights ago. But honestly I think it will be great because it is making some big changes and the last time they made big changes we got something very special with RE4.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember being mildly disappointed with 5. Mainly because the whole game lacked atmosphere of 4. It is like you are running around in broad daylight half the time. Plus as many have stated the co-op really altered the design of the game to negatively effect singleplayer. Similliar to dead space 3

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I predict it becoming a minor trend until a string of goons die in apartment fires after their cat knocks over the candles while they are immersed in their VR game.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE3 never seeemed like a proper numbered sequel to me. It is basically RE 2.5. Code Veronica always seemed to me like it should have carried the title of RE3 since it used 3D backgrounds for the first time and carried on the Wesker/Chris story while a lot of stuff from 3 doesn't add much to the mythos.

RE does have one of the most interestingly convoluted stories of all gaming.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not sure how I feel about it. Could get annoying if not done properly. Overall though the game looks really great.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There were some outlets that have played the first 5 hours which is about a 1/3 of the game. Pretty much all positive.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vakal posted:

Yes and they are all kind of terrible.

I am kind of partial to disco suit Jill though.

Disco suit Jill gives of a Dana Scully vibe.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
DLC is good but I was pretty satisfied by the main campaign. I would just go with the main game and then get the DLC during the next sale if you want. Probably heavily discounted too

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I really hope Remake 2 comes out this year.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It will happen guys.

The guy clearly said “we do it”

He wouldn’t lie to us.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cool. I love how we only have a 6 month wait.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm cool with shoulder cam, I just hope they keep original trilogy style puzzle solving and inventory management, I love that stuff. I'm gonna have to get back to speedrunning RE2 some before January

Yeah I have always been cool with over the shoulder cam as long as they made the gameplay slow and intense with limited resources. Looks like they have nailed the atmosphere here.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If its anything like the remake of the first game they will probably add a few new areas. Like when you go out to that cabin in the woods.

A dream would be Jills campaign from 3 as DLC

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wait they actually floated the idea of doing 3 too?

I think 2 could sell really well and they could probably reuse a bunch of assets. 3 could happen. I new take on the nemesis idea would be really awesome.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like Richard Nixon

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes gore is insane. The guy in the hallway with the half eaten face is the most extreme thing I have seen in a game in awhile.

Is the RE7 DLC any good?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The older games were a product of their era and time and the pre rendered backgrounds and fixed camera were an attempt to make things atmospheric with limited resources. Just look at the footage of the RE2 remake and you can see it is full of atmosphere so why not give us the ability to aim and have better situational awareness that over the shoulder brings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Im not sure but I am also guessing it is probably closer to the 360/ps3 version than the 3DS version too.