Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Golden Goat posted:

Jeez this is the invisible hunters all over again.

I've always felt that Shinji Mikami has far better enemies in his games. Novistadors were cool in RE4 and invisible haunted in Evil Within are designed with a fatal weakness to flash bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So Revelations 2:

I appreciate the fact that the support characters have unique roles but I find the switching back and forth between characters very disorienting especially in combat. The AI didn't seem to be particularly aggressive when it comes to blinding and bricking enemies. I didn't even realize Natalie can spot enemy weaknesses because the AI didn't do it at all.

I'd imagine the campaign would be interesting in Co-op but I doubt the support characters are very interesting to play as. I do like wrecking zombies with Moira's crowbar but unless she gets hanzo steel or some other form of cranium crushing weapons, it does get a bit stale.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 27, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I just saw some data mined Revelations 2 video where a character was using a legit japanese sword as melee weapon, leaving me just a little bit excited.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jia posted:

Did you not play the RE1 remake? It was pretty stellar

I'm pretty sure it was mostly because of this guy:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So according to rumours The Evil Within might get a sequel. Hoping that's true because the original was the best RE game since RE4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

Resident Evil 4 went up for pre-order yesterday.

what year is this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

No shotgun, no buy.

Hopefully there's some sort ammo and resource management. One of the reasons why I don't care for Outlast is the lack gadgets and boomsticks

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Definition of zombie: basic enemy you fight in a Resident Evil game.

"He's not a zombie" - Leon S. Kennedy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Because with RE7 coming out, RE6 is now considered good, I'm sure a few months from now people will be calling it a misunderstood gem.

I actually like RE6, it gets a lot better when you realize you only use your gun to set up melee attacks.

RE6 Mercenaries was the poo poo. Quickshots and haymakers all dayyy.

The campaign though? Yuck

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

All the best stuff is in Mercenaries. They did really good job on the control scheme

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Leon's campaign is training wheels. Chris's campaign is where the poo poo gets real. (Please play on the hardest difficulty)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't think of anything less fun than playing RE6 on No Mercy if you don't already know what you're doing.

Well granted me and my friend did spend a lot time playing this game. Things rreally got interesting when you started a fresh save without any weapons on Pro and No Hope.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So did they finallly decide to release the RE4 beta as an actual game?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Chris has the best campaign because it makes a good use of the new control scheme against relatively challenging enemies withour horrible gimmick levels like Jake's campaign

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I stopped playing REvelations 2 because for some reason the normal difficulty felt too easy while the Hard Mode felt... too hard. It was really weird when you've played RE4-6 to death on the hardest difficulty mode (and the Evil Within on 1-hit death mode)

It really felt like they didn't quiiite balance the ammo to enemy ratio as well as those games.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 18, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Remake1 is one of my favorite games of all time and Remake2 looks really good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Zombie bites look so brutal upclose. Its almost like a cutscene.

Also for some reason I really like Leon's voice actor.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 13, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Since my paid summer vacation just started, now is the proper time to replay games REmake before 2019.

Heck, might have to replay some DMC as well

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Aces High posted:

now that we have seen all this Leon footage I'm really jonesing for footage from Claire, mainly to see if she still gets the lame bowgun, if the Browning Hi-Power is still the official sidearm for the RPD, and if the Colt SAA is an unlockable or a secret weapon in the campaign.

Just Claire things is all I care about at this point

I'm hoping they dont use faux guns and just refer to the guns with their real names or at least use actual gun models.

I mean even Remake had fictional guns but I liked how incredibly detailed the STARS custom M9 was

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You guys still arent thinking hard enough.

Pinning Sheryl to the wall (or a zombie) so she loving stays put

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah, to specify, I'm fine if a game uses generic names for guns as long as they are modelled after real guns, specifically custom made / bonus unlocks aside. I think it just makes the experience more realistic/grounded

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Chris' campaign is undoubtedly the weakest. For me it's Leon -> Jake -> Ada -> Chris. I think Chris' last chapter is pretty good though.

Chris is the best because its mostly shooty bang bang with little QTEs and dumb scripted segments. We played coop with my friend a while back and we died from boredom when trying Leon campaign after Chris.

RE6 is at its worst when you are not shooting or punching things

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Broose posted:

What is it with the Japanese and that wrestling move? I see it in anything with the smallest hints of Japan influence. Obviously cause they think it is badass, but is there a history or something?

Japanese Pro Wrestling is a thing and its one of more well known moves. I guess its also fairly easy to animate.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Re6 just requires certain finesse but the controls are fine imo.

Quickshot alone is a fantastic feature since it lets you turn instantly towards an enemy trying to sneak up on you.

Why this isnt a feature in every shooter, I dunno.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

Of course, all masterpieces feature 3 to 4 unique missions, rehashed over and over a million times. What an awful game that was.

All main missions in MGSV are quite unique even if the objective very similar.

MGSV is a very good game by MGS standards.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Vakal posted:

As far as people noticing real life textures used in games goes, nothing will ever top someone recognizing a wall texture in some Spanish alleyway being used in RE 4.

That is only the tip of the iceberg. The guy developing the unofficial HD remaster travelled to Wales and Spain looking for high quality textures. The same ones used in the original.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

SH2 is the real deal, SH1 is good but I think the second game had much more of an impact.
It might be difficult to try SH1 today, as with all PS1 games it has aged like milk.

I think the timeless ones are ironically games with tank controls like in RE. Its a very simple control scheme and I watched an old SA lp of RE2 a while back and was suprised how good the graphics looked. Not only the static scenes were nice to look at but also character models and animation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just finished Prey and it was gooddd. Not exactly survival but I was on the edge of my seat despite fps not being my favorite genre.

Now I'm itching for another great exploration/horror/shooter thing.

How does RE7 compare to lets say REmake? Is there actual inventory management that counts as opposed to mostly scripted sequences?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried playing Remake on PS4 but they messed up the sensitivity on trigger buttons so walking is borked when using control type E.

Shame, I really liked it in NGC version.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

TerraSave.

Because terr doesn't have to end in rist.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"It's not a weak point--I like to think of it as more of a character flaw. People and weapons just aren't complete without a character flaw, don't you think" - Hal Emmerich, weapons engineer

I'm not sure your clients appreciate this though.

Played some REmake yesterday. Its been at least 5 years since played it. This time I tried the free PS+ REmaster. The game is solid. It just looks so good and I still have most ammo saving techniques in my memory (haha gently caress you dog corridor, I'm not falling for your scripted triggers)

Weapons feel appropriately powerful. One question though

Did the game always have a reload button?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 8, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ordered a copy of RE7 because I'm really in a mood for some Rrrrresident Evil.

I'll play REmake in the mean time.

I read that you unlock Madhouse difficulty after beating the game or purchasing DLC. Is it stupidly hard or something that series fans will enjoy on their first playthrough?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Great, I'll have something to look forward to on a second playthrough

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Played quite a bit of REmake yesterday. I've died two times and both of them were traps. Rest should be smooth sailing since I'm in the labs with over 10 shotgun shells, 12 magnums and around 30 handgun bullets. At this point I can just shoot my way through the rest of the game without worrying about crimsons.

The puzzles haven't really aged well since most of them are really simple and mostly involve pushing things. RE tradition I guess.

The game is suprisingly generous with supplies on Hard mode but I guess they carefully estimated how much an average blind run needs health and ammo.

I've never tried the Real Survivor mode but I might just have to since that requires you to be extra careful with your resources if you want to avoid backtracking

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For the longest time people would argue that was on purpose, given Silent Hill as a whole, and there was no way to really say 'that's wrong'.

I think that just speaks how well designed SH2 is as a whole if the developers can get away with it instead of breaking the immersion. Even if its just a fan interpretation.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 11, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Started Re7 last night. That was intense. The basement area was hell and died a dozen times against the molded, probably because I did not realize you can get the shotgun. Had my showdown against Jack and it was fun.

The game is suprisingly tough on Normal but now I got bunch supplies saved up so I think I'll have essier time.

I dont necessarily like how a lot of items are hidden do well in the room you have to do pixel perfect hunting to find them. Psychostimulants are a thing so I guess it's fine.

The graphics are pretty amazing but its shame they arent as interactive like in Prey. I like the detailed animations in first person.

Playing this game with headphones is the poo poo. I could hear the floorboards creaking as Jack got closer.

I just realized some interactable items hide supplies if you twist and turn them like in REmake. Thats cool.

So far the game has been suprisingly action packed and I think thats fine. RE games usually have a lot of enemies. Makes repeated playthroughs more interesting.

The game has suprisingly many mechanics at play like upgrading abilities, crafting and how the combat works. Very different from most first person horror games.

Gonna play some more later this evening.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Played a bit of RE7 again. Killed Marguerite who was suprisingly tame compared to Jack. At least when I found the flamethrower parts. The little loop to the basement I had to do to get the red card made little sense since you can easily run past all the enemies. The pistol feels like a peashooter at this point against the molded but a well aimed shotgun seems to do the trick.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Managed to get through Lucas' trap house.

I really liked the characterisation they did here. Lucas is incredibly smart but hosed up by the infection. The whole barn segment was really tense and you could even outsmart him by using traps against the molded.

Even if the runs out of steam later Im really liking everything so far.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I find it hilarious I can trap molded by luring them into rooms and closing the doors.

Maybe this is less viable on Madhouse?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That seems like a major oversight. A big feature of these games ever since like RE4 has been that the infected can come through doors and windows and I totally expected the molded just to tear through them like paper.

The opening intro scene and the song is fantastic btw. Whats with really good intros in FPS games lately? (Prey had an awesome intro song)