Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So marginally controversial post time.

I saw this video pop up on my YouTube account and it got me thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GDhBRFTAE

I hadn't ever heard of this Save Wizard thing before. Has anyone ever tried it?

Because I'm someone who is time poor.
I'm slowly working my way through Leon A but I won't unlock anything.
And I don't have the time to do multiple play throughs conforming to a guide so I can unlock the Infinite Rocket Launcher/Gatling Gun.

But if there was some other way to do it (up to and including buying a third party add on. Since Capcom don't seem to want to do a "buy the Infinite weapon as DLC" yet.) I'd love to do that, for that point in like 8 months time when I have an hour or two free to play through the game one shoting everything.

What are peoples thoughts? Has anyone used or tried save editors for consoles like the PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Code Veronica X had the infinite item glitch too that even made it as far as the PS3 port. I wouln't be surprised if it was still in the PS4 version as well.

I played a ton of Code Veronica when it came out on the Dreamcast.
I spent months trying to S rank all the characters on Battle Mode. I never could do it for anyone but Wesker. (You had to just finish Weskers run to get him to S rank. The other characters were all about clear time.)

Then around Christmas I read a wiki and found out that the Dreamcast port of CV in Europe ran at 50hz not 60hz. But the time for getting S rank was based on going at 60hz and essentially impossible for European players to achieve.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Except Code Veronica did extremely well despite being on the Dreamcast. I remember the praise it got on release.

It's definitely one of my favorites and I'm one of the few who enjoys it immensely more than RE3.

I played Code Veronica back when it came out on the Dreamcast.
It was missing some of the plot (Wesker is hardly in it. And doesn't have any super powers.) And the Battle Modes were impossible to S Rank.

But I will always love it. I remember downloading rips of all the additional cutscenes when Code Veronica X came out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

They seem to laugh a lot and babble away in human languages. Good enough.

Wesker's team is just him and his massive ego. Maybe a few Hunters.

No, Wesker had a bunch of special forces soldiers. They all have IR Goggles (and some have suicide vests) but end up turned into Zombies by the time you encounter them.

I also think back when Resident Evil 1 happened it was implied that Barry might have been the one to shoot Enrico on Wesker's orders. I remember that was a theory but it later got retconned out and definitely wasn't the case by the time REmake happened.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I had some time off this week so I could go back to playing Resie 2. I had completed a normal playthrough of Leon A a few weeks ago.

Now I could go back and finally play Claire A and maybe the B scenarios. Now I always wanted to unlock the Infinite Weapons to go down on this game. But as a busy working man with a kid on the way and only limited time to play, I could never put the time into practice to do a S+ hard-core rank.

However enter my birthday and my brother got me the Save Wizard Max for PS4 as a present.
With the aid of it, I can do a save scumming run to get S+ on hard-core, while still having fun and working around my busy schedule.

Some thoughts so far.

1) Hard-core doesn't Dick around. I ended up dying in the gas station on my first play through. They are tough and they will wreck you up.

2) The time for this game is mad. Like I understand you are going for a speed run. But when I checked my initial time it was about 20 minutes by the time I had gotten the second medallion.

3) Up until I get the grenade launcher, I had to rely on the pistol with a ton of bullets for my early game zombie slaying needs. Claire's starting hand gun is terrible. 5 bullets? And the very first upgrade you can get in the waiting room is for a different handgun? What a ripoff. Luckily I had one of the pre-order guns to use. Since no way was I sticking to Claire's tiny peashooter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I've gotten the grenade launcher now so I anticipate I will just be using that on everything. I'll probably take the handgun if I find the upgrade for it and see what it's like then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So my experience with Claire's weapons are that they are less consultants than Leon.
The shotgun and Magnum are fine damage dealers.
But the Grenade launcher? Like 1 flame round is almost always enough to put down a zombie. Maybe one or two bullets afterwards.

But the Acid rounds. Well they are great for melting off limbs, but I think I'd need 3 rounds to be sure a zombies dead.
I'm not sure if the bosses take more acid damage and if I'm best off using acid rounds on bosses.

The SMG does seem to spit a ton of damage but empties it's clip so fast. Just got to the sewers and I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. When I was running around the station after experimentation I ended up using acid rounds on Mr.X.
Even on hard-core, three acid rounds was always enough to make him take a knee. (Which was great when I was trying to move those library shelves.)

As I'm starting the sewer section, I'll see if Acid works best on the G-Adults. I hear that Claire faces less of them then Leon.

Also that Sherry section was awful. I'm glad I saved in the middle of it, because I had to do that section about five times before I completed it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Do I just pick up the Spark shot for the Claire, or do I have to do a item management puzzle like with Leon's flame thrower?
I'll probably go wild with the grenade launcher and burn anything that twitches.
I also only need two more Mr. Raccoon statues to get that trophy. One was in the Sewers that I missed on my Leon's playthrough and one is at the start of the Second Run.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Any recommended spots for first save point on Leon A S+ run?

From experience, saving at G1 feels like a waste because I can reach that fight in about 25-30 mins and theres very little risk of actually dying there.

I have a feeling X can really gently caress you up in west hallway

Save before Mr. X or save when you take over as Ada. She's got to deal with a room with 5 zombies as well as a death trap puzzle and a puzzle with Mr. X running at her. Lot of opportunities to die there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That's not that much. You open the door, kite X around the garage while the door opens.

I knocked X down at that point so I don't know if he chases you to the streets of Raccoon city or not but it's not that long.
Then you get into the orphanage go down into the tunnels and one section later X is being murdered by Billy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I just finished Rev2 (both endings!) and started farting around with raid mode, and yeah it's pretty drat fun.

This also means I only have two mainline RE games to finish, 0 and Code Veronica. And going back to C:V was kind of painful last time. :negative:

Does the PS3 HD port of C:V run better than the PS2-on-PS4 one? It's kind of an ugly upscale and the framerate sucks.

I discovered that there is a crazy glitch to get an infinite herb on Code Veronica. It can be found on YouTube.
It might make a CV run more doable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barudak posted:

The number of good QTEs I can think of are 3. The fakeout QTE in Shenmue 2, the only good struggle session ever put into a game the microwave hallway in MGS4, and the Prisoners Dilemma QTE from Army of 2:2

Any others people think are good?

The originator of QTE's (assuming you discount games built around them like Dragon's Lair.)

Die Hard Arcade.

They were the best because
A) they gave your warning in advance
B) Failing at them just gave you a disadvantage (you'd have to fight another dude or lose some health.) but didn't mean "game over. Do it again."

I was a big fan of games where the fight scenes are "press the buttons that show up on screen" ala a QTE. So the Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit/TellTale series of games, but only if they used it to make the fights something ludicrously over the top that couldn't be done in a regular control scheme.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I see you like to play....(survival) horror games.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wanderer posted:

The timeframe on that doesn't sound right at all. By the time RE3 was in production, in mid- to late 1998, they'd have been talking about developing it strictly for the Japanese market, on a system that was notoriously sort of crap at 3D.

It's a joke, based on how the Saturn version of the game had a Battle Mode where you fight a Golden Tyrant at the end.
(It also had zombie Wesker and a second Tyrant who shows up to fight you in the lab battle. It was the Dark Souls of its time!)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the hell? How did Zombie Wesker fit into it? Was he just wandering around after he gets "killed" by Tyrant?

He shows up in the Battle Mode as a zombie amongst a horde of zombies. In fact you are completely likely to not notice him while you are killing the whole bunch of zombies.

As far as I'm aware it's non cannon. Just like the Golden Tyrant.
Or the Ticks. A reskinned Hunter that show up in the underground tunnels in place of the Hunters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I got to Birkin Stage 4 on my Hardcore Claire run.

Thoughts.

1) First run. Grabbed the mini gun before I grabbed the plug. Which ment I had to throw away two items for that attempt because of that screw up.

2) Went into the second fight with just Acid rounds, grenades and healing. Got murdered.

3) Did the same but better. Ran through all 30+ acid grenades. all my sub weapons and all my mini-gun ammo. Ran out of all ammo and then ran out of time.

I think I might just go into my next attempt with my fully decked out SMG and hundreds of bullets to pop his eyeballs. I was told that you need to pop the eyeballs rapidly. Is there any use with the grenade launcher in that fight at all?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

theres a box in that room somewhere so you didnt need to throw two things away

I kind of did. See I went into the back room first and grabbed the mini-gun, not knowing that there was a double plug thing I needed, because I hadn’t gone into the train.
Then when you go into the train, you get the cutscene with Sherry and the option of picking up the plug. But even if I went into the item box and put two items into the box to pickup the plug, I’d be hosed. Because as soon as I use the plug, the fight would start before I could use the item box.

The room is designed in such a way that you are supposed to pickup the plug first, use it and then grab the mini-gun as your last action before the fight starts.

Anyway thanks for the advice guys. I guess I just expected to go all Predator with the mini-gun, and not consider that they wanted me to use it in short, controlled bursts. Going to give that a try today.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ghost Survivor mode is like the Resident Evil version of "I want to be the guy."

You walk down a corridor, there is a zombie with an explosive pack. You shoot him and he explodes.
The next thing you know a Licker jumps out and murders you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the trick, of course, being to shoot the zombie in the ankle until he falls over and use the explosive to kill both him and the licker

But that's not the problem. It's that it's not until you play it and discover that it's a series of deadly puzzles to spring on you. Which very often results in you dying and having to start from scratch.

Still it was free.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's so weird.

I played Resie 0 back in the day after I had completed Remake. And I loved it.
I just remember it being a game where even when you only had handguns, if the two characters were together they wrecked everything. And when they split you up, you felt super vulnerable.

Seeing so many people dunk on it made me wonder if I should go back and replay it, but I feel it would be disappointing.
I did learn that they added in a mode where you played as Wesker with Rebecca as his slave. Which sounds like a hell of a thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

There is a new RE2 DLC that for $5 you can unlock everything. All the mini games, infinite weapons, models, concept art and what not.

On the one hand, had I known about this last month I might have used this instead of getting the Save Wizard.

On the other hand, my Save Wizard play through with Infinite Magnum rounds and Grenades to get S+ ranks was really fun.

On the third hand, I can now cheat at other games and really annoy the "True Gamers."

So I stand by my decision.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Sequence breaking is also not recommended outside of taking the most direct, cutscene-free path toward where you want to go. I learned that the hard way after trying to access the second Yawn battle immediately after getting the Lockpick from Barry, only for the game to poo poo the bed during the door-opening load screen and freeze completely (with lots of "65535" being spat out in the console). Oh, and speaking of Lockpicks, Chris having it in his inventory doesn't change anything; he still needs the Sword Key and Small Keys.

Of course. Chris isn't a master of unlocking. He can't use a lock pick.

Speaking of cut content, there is this video of a Laser Weapon from ReMake I remember floating around the early 2000's internet.

Does anyone know anything more about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBpQYr-Dh0

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Instead of having them go to Antarctica to a replica of they should replace that entire part of the game with them going back to the nuked a few months ago remnants of the actual mansion because blah blah blah secret plans/whatever stuff reasons.

So their was concept art for this as Capcom had it in mind as a thing you would do in Resie 2.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s amazing that CV and 4 were in the same generation. They were at the opposite ends but still.

Only just.
CV was a Dreamcast game and it got reworked for the PS 2.
RE4 was a Gamecube game that got redone (and a bit chopped down) to work on the PS2.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Spalec posted:

The voice acting in the Original RE is so bad, it rolls round back to being awesome. How did that even happen? The pauses and intonation the actors use is so far off how any human would talk.

And of course, "There are Terrible demons. Ouch :geno:"

I wonder if any of those actors ever did anything else. I read a rumour that they were literally the first people to respond to the advert who vaguely fit the look of the character.

Youtuber Justin Whang has a good set of videos about tracking down some of the VA’s for the original Resident Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunJ1Z0_peU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22Ao21Ya6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S77G0KEtPo

Bonus here’s one of him tracking down the VA for Silent Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmu3i0-0ys

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

They changed it on Nemesis where the Hunters could only do their decap attack when you were on Danger.

They also had the Hunter Gamma's who swallowed you whole. Which was terrifying.

Rewatching some videos of original RE I had forgotten how the Mansion gets overrun with Hunters after you finish the Plant 42 area.
It's like they killed all the zombies and took over the place.

Is there any design decision about why the toughest enemy of the game (Hunters) show up early and are replaced with an easier enemy (the Lab Monsters) for the endgame?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Backhand posted:

Claire felt a LOT easier in REmake 2 than Leon did. The SMG's greatest strength, honestly, is that it can be skipped completely - and since it and its upgrades are out of the way it saves you a good bit of time and ammo to do so. And since you don't fight Mr X in the lab, you don't need to hoard grenades to stagger him with, leaving you free to use them as you please.

I found that no amount of grenades could beat Birkin Stage IV for Claire. And I could never hit him enough times with the mini gun before he got too close or it started to run low on ammo. The only way I made it through that fight was with the SMG.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

What's funny is for Leon legitimately the best strategy to bearing the Tyrant on Hardcore is hoarding all your grenades for that fight.
The grenades keep him chained stunned and after you use all of them you only have to shoot him once to get the Rocket Launcher to drop.
If I had kept any hand grenades for Claire it might have been the same. But the SMG made short work of Birkin.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Start with Jill. She has a bigger inventory and starts with her handgun, although Chris really gets his not all that much later. Also, her Master of Unlocking degree is as useful as it was in the original.

Worth knowing is that there are now doors which open in only one direction and/or which will break after a few uses and then only allow you to pass through them in one direction. Remember where they are or the game will send you in one big loving circle at the worst time possible.

If you can, always kill zombies by blowing their heads off. If you can't, use that oil can you find a few rooms into the game and burn the body. You will not like what happens if you don't.

If possible, trying and kill/finish off zombies on top of other zombie bodies.

If you stack them up, you can burn multiple bodies at once. That tip saved my rear end back when I played it on Gamecube.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wanderer posted:

It's actually still a problem in a few significant ways. The famous horror story is the original arcade Bubble Bobble

I'm hoping it involves the two lead dinosaurs (Bub and Bob) coming to life and chasing somebody around an arcade in a small Mid-Western town in the 1980's.

But I'll accept whatever the real story is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Party Boat posted:

It's an issue that almost every medium has faced. There are hundreds of lost films from the 30s / 40s, mostly because people didn't see the value in keeping them.

On a completely different note, there was a Leon A v Claire A RE2 race on GDQ a few hours ago. Not watched it yet but I'm going to later.

I will wager 12 Umbrella Dollars on Claire A winning.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

My friend did a whole knife-only run thanks to the dodge mechanic. He loved it.

There was some exploit on dodging where it counted as defeating an enemy in the mercenary mode.
So if you did it while you had a knife equipped you got bonus money.
So if you equipped a knife and stood on top of a trash can, you could keep dodging zombies (who would attack you but couldn't actually hit you) and earn tons of money. Enough to buy all the infinite ammo weapons.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

To all Irish posters, some beautiful genius on Irish Simpsons Fans did a Simpsons meme mash up with Leon Kennedy's greatest hits.

It's hilarious. I'll see if I can work out a way to get the image from that Facebook group and post them here.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Okay. Let's see if this works.

With thanks to Dave Nolan from Irish Simpsons Fans since he did all the work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I do it for anything that grabs you in every game ever

This.
Mashing buttons when grabbed is a pavilion response that I have learnt and expect to use in every game I play.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So due to self isolating I had some time to go back to RE2. I was able to get the Racoon City Native Trophy by finishing the Fourth Survivor (it was the only Trophy I hadn’t gotten.)

For anyone who hasn’t completed the Fourth Survivor, I found this guys guide really useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4x5TgrwcY

Now onwards to Nemeses.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So played the demo. I liked it.

The shotgun is much meatier than the one in RE2.
I tried messing around with the dodge mechanic. It worked on Nemises fine but not really for standard zombies.
Also there was so many instances of me killing a pack of zombies, only afterwards to find an explosive barrel near them.

By the way there are wooden boxes that you can break open to get goodies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm in Ireland and I got the PS4 demo this morning. I found it on the store under the entry for RE3.
No time limit on the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apparently there is an easy mode in this demo which starts you with the Assault Rifle. Just like in the PS1 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJB4hm8T76o

This is cool as there are 20 Bobbleheads in the demo and one requires you knocking down Nemesis 3 times to get. Another requires 25 perfect dodges.

The demo sounds like it unlocks something for the main game.