Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Jeedy Jay posted:

I've heard a lot of arguments for why the more recent games are terrible and/or not Survival Horror, but the only one that struck me as being accurate and cogent is the noting of location-based gameplay versus the "action path" trend. Resident Evil has definitely been using more of the latter of late, and it goes a way towards explaining the general reaction to Revelations.

That said, I want to bring up RE6's Rasklapanje sections - they're essentially stages where you get dropped in a spooky maze and made to go on a scavenger hunt while pursued by regenerating enemies that can potentially instakill players. That's "classic Resident Evil" in microcosm and, if RE6 is truly a pure action game devoid of exploration and terror, in what way are these parts inadequate and/or false?

Yeah, the whole location based gameplay vs action path thing is my complaint about the newer games. I've seen a lot of people who think the earlier games were bad games because of the backtracking; they think of it as running back and forth along the same 'action corridor' rather than what it actually was. Not only were you exploring a location rather than following a path but I also enjoyed the extra dimension of 'planning' with the limited inventory, multiple routes and item boxes of the earlier games. Deciding what to carry, what route to take, what to drop off and pick up, should I leave a inventory space open or take more firepower with me and similar decisions were actually part of the gameplay. It was a style of game in its own right, but the Raskalpanje sections weren't this, they were Pac Man, frantically running around a small maze only temporarily removing the ghosts until you got all the dots.

I thought RE6 was a much better game than RE5 was though and I think 4,5,6 are definately good games on their own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
If you do blow it up it drops a shitload of eyes and I think you're guaranteed to get a blue eye (the rarest) so you can finish your lamp treasure.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

Play as Piers.

Stamina regenerates really fast if you lie on the floor.

Inventory spaces are limited, so if you're wondering why you can't pick something up thats why. This can get pretty annoying at times so make sure all your weapons are fully loaded, herbs are mixed and put in the tablet case etc. and keep in mind it's better to fire off 3 rounds of pistol ammo to free up a space to pick up some ammo for a better weapon.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I'm still waiting for a game where you get to play the campaign as Barry Burton.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Is Dead Aim any good?

Disclaimer: I liked Survivor on the PS1

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Their engine is so limited that Sims cannot exist on two different height levels on the same floor. They must be on a flat surface. A staircase is just an animation that brings you from one flat surface to another (kind of like Resident Evil!).

I'm sure that Sims 4 in the Doom Engine would not have such limitations.

Actually thats pretty much the biggest limitation of the Doom engine.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
This is loving bullshit wheres Barry

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
In the words of Barry: "WHAT?! WHAT IS THIS?"

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Got my tactical drop leg holster...and this double barrel shotgun I found in a farmers shed.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
You should actually not use the TMP at all. Because it's bad.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The game seems to like showering me with ammo for the thing so I'm totally going to use it. On a note of RE4 weapons, what's the handgun everyone prefers? Red9 or Punisher? I may have sold the Punisher you get for free from the blue medallion thing in favour of the Red9 because I liked the idea of hitting harder with each shot but now I'm worried I've made a mistake.

The game showers you with ammo for anything you carry around. Also you should've shot all the medallions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Headshots stun.