Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

codo27 posted:

It cant possibly be that bad.

Apparently its set in modern day after RE6, figured it would be back around or even before 1 given the sort of artifacts seen in the trailer. Says "rural America" (see link above), maybe its some kinda Texas Chainsaw Massacre locale.

Main guy better be a Leatherface clone if this is the case. Like, we had chainsaw guys as regular mooks right? Well what if we had one be the bad guy for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

codo27 posted:

You know I didn't even think about the potato sack heads when I wrote that. I've been around forever so when I first saw trailers for 4 I was like nope, dont like it, too big a departure (even though 3 was meh for me and CV was even bigger meh, that I still have never beaten) and then of course it turned out to be the best game of its era. Pending reaction to the demo I'm gonna have to go to my brothers' tomorrow and try it out.

And the best thing is, I can try the demo out too since I own a PS4 now and wowee.

Lunethex posted:

Supposedly it's up or going to be up after the conference on PS Store for anyone with a PSN subscription.

Either I'm not looking hard enough or it's not out yet.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I can't wait to see what sort of virus/parasite ends up being able to do this.

They call it the F-Virus. The F stands for gently caress You. :v:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's kind of funny that people are going "not MY Resident Evil!" to it because I remember having that exact same reaction to RE4 when it was announced and ended up loving it. History repeats, I guess.

Having said that, RE4 just moved the camera behind you and added a lot more enemies on screen to deal with at once and they could use weapons but RE7 might be too big of a departure and I'm wonder if they would have been better off making it a spinoff like the Revelations games or something. I think another part of the problem is that the previous three games were so completely ridiculous that going immediately into something low key like 7 feels jarring. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a universe reboot but, it's apparently set after RE6. A game where things like Neo-Umbrella and The Illuminati Family exist and Wesker's son is a superpowered badass punching dudes all day long. I can't really see how 7 in its current iteration would possibly connect to 6.

There might be one way, and that's the "kill everything, start over, pretend it's a clean slate" route. Because if they really want to go forward with this vision and style, they just gotta get rid of fuckin' everything.

That being said, Resi Evil taking a Silent Hill approach via actual reboot could be a possibility since... well... no more Silent Hill.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Uh, so you have a problem with Jake beating a nemesis to death? But really, if you don't want to melee poo poo in re6 (due to having terrible taste) you are only required to do so in like two scenes.

I would rather do the rear end-based movement on top of meleeing poo poo. I think a gray site has RE6 for $7 about and I already have RE4 on Steam, and PC RE6 has Mercs unlocked at the start I think.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cue a confrontation that turns into a 15 minute QTE suplexing match of extreme proportions inside an aquarium or zoo or something that an outbreak happened in, and Carlos's job is running around frantically suplexing the animals that are getting loose due to all the suplexing.

This but make it straight chain wrestling.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Fereydun posted:

the only covers i will ever associate with RE are giraffe blowjob and weird bugeye chris redfield holding the sickest shotgun of all time

never forget

That shotgun looks like either one of them mag-fed ones or a very high caliber rifle. But still, it's a good view.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Klaus Kinski posted:

RE6 complete pack is 80% off on steam right now (it's re6+some lovely mp dlc noone plays). To spite some re1-3 loving grognards I'll gift one copy to someone deserving, first one to post email or steamid gets it.

To counterbalance, Rev2's Penis Colony is a fuckin' buck and a penny.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Convex posted:

Wtf is a penis colony :psyduck:

It doesn't sound like something I'd pay for

It's the ultimate climax in this fanfiction of mine where somehow Wesker fucks Derek.

It's actually Penal Colony, but I wanted to call it Penis Colony for the gently caress of it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Why would they spend the time and money to create a demo that will have 0 relation to the main game

Worldbuilding.

Which will mean gently caress and all once we see that we're back to fisting various forms of sediment.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Speaking of, should I shell the extra two quarters for the complete version or is that a bad idea if I just wanted mostly mercenaries.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Can we all just come together and thank god that they didn't just call this Resident Evil?

I would rather Residen7 Evil or Resident EVIIL or something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Plan Z posted:

7 Resident Evil

The 7th Evil Resident.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Yea cause its just men dying and LOL who cares about men dying horrible grisly deaths, but a woman? Yea that's awful and terrible and clearly shows that the developers where jerking off to it.

Weren't there like a shitload of "accidental" deaths in the original Tomb Raider? Also I think the skeevy nature of the opposing forces in the remake and Rise made me wanna not play them. Or at least in 2013.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Skeevy nature? The villains in the reboot and Rise are fairly standard. It was Square-Enix's godawful marketing that made them look skeevy. The villains in the 2013 game are just some crazed cultists trapped on the island with Lara and trying to appease supernatural forces while the main villains in Rise are a mercenary army of a secret society hunting down a MacGuffin for nefarious purposes.

You also can't really blame the game for weirdos who get off to videos of video game characters dying either.

Oh, okay. When ya put it like that, it sounds a lot better. Guess I'll go play them two now. Or just consider them at least when buying/playing a game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

About as accidental as getting your head chopped off by a chainsaw.

I mean I don't understand where you're coming from, going down a pretty nasty current probably has its risks as does parachuting from somewhere or attempting to escape crazed cultists.

I don't get where the skeevy thing comes from, is it because she's a woman? Would you be fine if it was Nathan Drake getting impaled through the neck?

By "accidental", I mean "the player is curious enough to see what happens when they go down a path they didn't choose or won't choose under normal circumstances".

And by skeevy, well, see post above. poo poo had the potential to play out like a Lifetime movie for all I know, which was the aforementioned garbage-tier marketing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Shut up about Tomb Raider and stop overusing the word "skeevy" and watch the new RE7 "gameplay" trailer instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

Game comes out on January 24th, 2017. Villain in the tape is apparently Marguerite Baker. More details here.

Still not really feeling this myself. It doesn't really feel like I'm watching any gameplay, and there still doesn't seem to be any combat present.

There a reason why Marguerite Baker was spoilered? Also why do I see a possible reference to The Goonies with that name. I'm suddenly thinking of the old lady.

Also, it's probably gonna go the paranoia route? Wherein you THINK there's a zombie but in reality that whole sequence had to be cut due to deadlines.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Politeness, mostly. She was a character mentioned in the demo, and some people might not yet want to know she straight up is a villain in the main game.

Fair enough.

General Morden posted:

giving me major clock tower vibes

Just imagine scissor man or his very loving fat brother you meet at the end in VR.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

PS4 must be in the money side then because I've had more than enough to buy every weapon I've wanted (so everything other than the TMP) and upgrade them all as soon as they were unlocked and I definitely remember having to pick and choose first time through. Though it probably helps that I'm actually collecting treasures this time instead of missing most of them.

Yeah, treasures are like... Actually loving huge in RE4. Especially the combinable ones. Kinda a shame there were more gem parts than main portion parts but hey. I still got my bitchin mug.

Also why I was disappointed in RE5's treasure system. And weapon system. And I guess mission system.

Still loving hilarious Albert Wesker- an Aryan male- had the Heart of Africa just sitting there in his pockets.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I remember one time I was getting Mine Thrower ammo when I thought "hey let's get the mine thrower fully upgraded since it should give infinite ammo right".

Once I realized what it really did, I stopped using the mine thrower.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

most people use that on subsequent playthroughs, though. drat thing is huge and has to compete with shotguns and sniper rifles for space.

Isn't the Striker the smallest shotgun? Unless the other upgraded shotguns are good, I'd say just use the 100 shell mag shotgun if you want to use the Mine Thrower.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Three barrels good, one barrel better.

500 or bust.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

I need a bigger suitcase.

This is only at 2-1 btw, I'm being stingy with my supplies.

Do you even want a scope for your budget rifle? Or is the scope just... Not good.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

It has a scope, I think the one you buy just gives you more zoom which is kinda pointless plus I tend to use it a lot in close quarters and pop off quick headshots, its a god send when plagas start popping up.

Fair. Also gently caress, I should replay RE4 sometime. Do I play it on PS4 or just stick to PC since I got a PS4 (without the game) and the PC version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

New Concept Hole posted:

Ironically, there's only one magazine in that picture

If the gun is good, all you need is one mag.