Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
RE3 will always be special to be, because my third-grade nightmares were the Nemesis and the game terrified me in a way nothing else ever really has. Even after playing nearly every other game in the series, nothing else really puts me on edge the way Nemmy's theme and presence do, though that might just be lingering childhood trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Broose posted:

There was no point in doing raid mode except to make numbers go up.

FTFY. Also, this is a pro, not a con.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Even what happened at their last facility in Europe (Umbrella Chronicles), Wesker snuck in and released everything for shits and giggles before Chris and Jill showed up. Their last stand fell right on its face before the his guys ever got there.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I don't think it even had Agent at launch, it was solo-only until a patch.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Mr. X and Nemesis are appealing to very different tastes in spooks

Mr. X is a hulking monstrosity that could almost-but-not-quite fit in among real people, for whom hunting you down is secondary to his actual objective.

Nemesis is a hulking monstrosity who wouldn't fit in anywhere, is absolutely grotesque to look at, and whose sole reason for existence begins and ends with "you need to loving die, period."

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Does anyone know what time the Playstation Store refreshes? I don't imagine there's going to be a midnight release for a demo like this.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol, I watched a LP of that game for the first time the other day and its plot is so asinine. You’re a former Umbrella death camp director who catches amnesia (?) and it not only erases your memory but somehow rewires your deep brain structure and makes you not a remorseless sociopath, and then some sewer dwelling guy is trying to make you tame responsibility?

Not quite. (Does any one actually care about spoilers for loving Survivor?) You're actually a detective who is investigating said prison camp director, and when you get amnesia, you think you're him because you pretended to be him to get sewer guy to talk and never cleared that up before getting amnesia, so sewer guy keeps calling you by the prison camp dude's name.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

tithin posted:

I think my problem with the concept of randomisers is that there's a high chance that they'd generate an unbeatable game?

Note: i've not looked into randomisers at all in the last ...12 to 18 months.

Most properly made randomizers (like the Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time ones) are programmed with a "logic" that prevents unbeatable seeds from generating. Even if it's some cave off in the corner of the map with one single chest that you've completely forgotten the existence of, there's always a way to progress.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Mr. X is legitimately stressing me out here. This is what I thought Nemesis was back in the day, it's like my childhood nightmares are all coming back.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I got it on PS4 too. Just a batch of bug fixes?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I think it would be a pretty cool start for a horror game where you start off armed to teeth and slowly but surely end up using all you ammo, suddenly finding yourself in a situation where shooting everything on sight is no longer possible.

Do tell me if there's a game that starts off like this.

Barry's side of Revelations 2 kinda does this. He shows up with a pistol, an assault rifle, and the revolver, but by chapter 3 you're gonna be running dry (earlier if you've been going balls-out, which is not recommended).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Didn't that happen with the first Kingdom Hearts as well? When it came to the PS3/4 remasters, they had to essentially remake the game?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My RE5 AI story is from the long hallway with Lickers crawling around in circles that you have to sneak past. Got all the way to the last one...at which point Sheva decided this was her moment and unloaded her machine gun into the nearest one.

I was playing with some friends watching at the time, and they have never let me live down my gut reaction of "YOU STUPID BITCH"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, moving those shelves as much as possible the first time you come across them was a big part of early hardcore runs. That way you're only nudging them once when you're being chased by Mr. X.

Since you specify "early" hardcore runs, I assume the strat has changed?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Wasn't there an iOS port of RE4? Did that ever make it off Apple's ecosystem?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Didn't one of the Outbreak games have an ending that showed an Umbrella lab in the crater picking up something alive down there?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Did someone say BIOHAZARD: THE STAGE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEYjmLDsE4

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

sigher posted:

Now that I'm short in achievements, what do I have to do to get this new one?

Leon's campaign, there's a new note in Kendo's shop.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think the bombing of Raccoon City and Jill's brief infection are the only plot points from RE3 that are ever important again.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

sigher posted:

I recall people talking about how Parasite Eve can get more games/remakes under the name for legal reasons; what's the exact story there? Did Square not copyright the name or something?

Parasite Eve isn't actually owned by Square, they licensed the property from the author of a Japanese novel of the same name which the first game is a semi-sequel to.

Edit: That's what I get for not double-checking what page I'm on.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
That would be neither the weirdest nor stupidest decision made by the people in charge in Raccoon City.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Isn't that like, not actually a thing though? Critical headshots in RE4 have nothing to do with whether or not a plaga will spawn. If an enemy's set to grow a plaga, it'll grow even if you only hit them with body shots. Meanwhile, a critical headshot is an instant kill even on enemies who are set to grow their plaga.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, at least.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I still enjoy how even Claire "So loving Over This poo poo Mom" Redfield in Rev2 clearly holds a soft spot for Steve, given she directly quotes him when she picks up the first gun.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Wasn't Parker a protagonist in the second Manga miniseries? Heavenly Island or something?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Funny how the two games titled "Revelations" are the ones with the biggest lingering plot threads in their endings.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Isn't the number like, 10% of the population being fully immune? It's a total plot contrivance that all the protagonists fall into that 10%, but still, it's an explanation.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Also, don't know how many people notice this, but in the Demo, Jill actually starts with a File in her inventory where she muses about her apparent immunity possibly just being an extended incubation period.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I don't think any government on the planet could bail out a gently caress-up so big, it caused Midwestern town to get nuked.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Night10194 posted:

To be fair, he was trying to develop such a thing, but it never really worked because Umbrella was incompetent and men like him only really thought they were scientists. For the most part Umbrella's 'science' is 'fling a bunch of poo poo we found in a basement at a wall and see if it makes a hideous mutant'. I genuinely like Spencer for being a dipshit who never even got close to what he really wanted (actual serious human enhancement) and just caused endless misery until his own idiot 'son' (of sorts) punched his heart out.

According to Lost in Nightmares, under Spencer's instruction, Alex actually worked it out! Then flipped him the bird and dipped, taking the results for herself and leading into Rev2.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I just knocked out all the bobbleheads in the demo, and good golly can you bully Nemesis hard if you get good at those perfect dodges. Down him three times? I must've downed him ten while working out those 25 perfect dodges.:black101:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Ah yes, those great zingers like

"Saddler, you're small-time. :cool:"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I missed a note right next to the Grenade Launcher on my first run, that mentions it's a refurbished model that was bought on the cheap, and that's why the barrel has to be manually rotated. So I guess there's an in-universe excuse for it, but I'm still not sure why they made that call from a game design perspective.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The first three RE games always played fast and lose with their canon anyhow. There's still no playable "canon" version of RE1, so I'm not miffed by the remakes taking liberties on certain details.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Where the hell is the blue gem for the box in the subway station?

I don't remember exactly which is which, but one is in the Toy Store (lockpick), one is right across the street from that in the convenience store (bolt cutters), third is just in the donut shop save room.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My first experience with the RE0 story was the Umbrella Chronicles version, and they completely excised Opera Outfit Marcus from that version, just having the leeches imitate Old Man In A Suit Marcus. Needless to say, when I gave the proper game a try, I was a mite confused.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Someone a few pages back asked about skipping the shotgun. If you don't pick it up at the Subway office, it spawns next to the Typewriter in the room with the first Mine Rounds, right after Carlos RPD.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
RE3 Remake might have the most positive portrayal of Brad in any RE media. Which admittedly isn't a huge selection, but still.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 8, 2020

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Another cool thing I noticed today failing a Hardcore S-Rank run (by 3 minutes ugh), even if you skip pickable locks, the lockpick becomes disposable once you reach the end area.

This goes for the Bolt Cutters too. Even if you didn't use them everywhere, you can drop them when you reach the sewer. Great for shaving a few minutes off if you don't need the stuff in the alley or supermarket (or you want to wait on the shotgun).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Honestly, Grenades have stupidly huge range in this game. Even if you bounce it off his chest, it'll still probably hit him from wherever it lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I mean, Umbrella Chronicles did have that big "Raid on Umbrella's final secret lab in Europe" with Chris and Jill as its final chapter. Whatever you have to say about the gameplay, I think that narratively, that fills the niche you guys are looking for.