Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Didn't it first come from the action figure for the original game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Make some of the ammo and healing items cross over if you leave them.

One thing I did like in the remake was that the B characters had access to guns that used a different ammo than the standard handgun, and mostly found ammo for that instead - neatly explaining why the B character had enough ammunition to get through, but the A character didn't take it first. It was useless to them, so they ignored it.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

RE3 is the obvious choice, for all the reasons that they made it in the first place - it can use a lot of the assets from RE2.

It is also the game with the most room for expansion and improvement without affecting overall canon.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

il serpente cosmico posted:

Did RE3 use a lot of RE2's assets? A huge portion of the work for those games would have been the pre-rendered background and FMV sequences, and they couldn't have re-used assets for either. Though UI elements, sounds, and enemy models / textures definitely could have been re-used. It's a lot hard to asset-flip games with pre-rendered backgrounds unless you are blatant and shameless about reusing the backgrounds.

Big chunks of RE3 were set in the police station from RE2. Literally the same backgrounds with a few small changes. Most of the enemy models were reused as well - Jill got hunters instead of lickers, but I think all the zombies were reused. Plus a lot of the item models.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Information is extremely sparse at the moment. It appears that the film company that made the films is partnering with Netflix for the series, it will be a completely different production unit than the one that made the films. That unit is tied up with the Monster Hunter film project. It may well be that the involvement of Constantin Film is primarily a rights issue.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

It is significantly more powerful than the standard handgun. The only drawback is that it can't use a speedloader, and thus loads much more slowly.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

il serpente cosmico posted:

What's the consensus on the PC version of RE4? I missed RE4 when it originally came out because I had kind of stopped playing console games while I was in college in favor of PC stuff, and I never got around to going back to it. I did pick it up on sale on Steam so I'm going to play through that version, I was mainly just curious if it had any weird problems.

The HD edition is great, although there is (or possibly was) a frame-rate bug that screws up a few QTEs if you set the game to 60 FPS.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Convex posted:

it's hard to resist the temptation to stock up on shotgun and grenade rounds rather than patiently saving everything up for the magnum.

That's particularly true with the enhanced pistol and shotgun ammunition that you can get.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

I always gave Sheva a shotgun. That gave her a chance to actually hit something when she emptied her weapon into my back.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Mr X (once you figured out his mechanics) is more of a super-dangerous monster you attracted from time to time - it is entirely possible to lose him, and the few times he's defeated plot-wise come across more as inconveniencing him long enough to get out of his sight.

Have Nemesis clearly hunting you in particular - noticeably camping areas it will know you're going to visit, setting traps baited specifically for you, ignoring other survivors to chase you instead, etc- would do a lot to differentiate. If you also make it so that the only times he stops actively hunting the player is via over the top massive damage -like blowing up the gas station- and he comes back visibly mutated (as per the original) each time, you'd have a pretty different monster.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Even in RE2, the initial trip to the police station gave the impression of a pretty decent-sized city, as did the scale of the police force (IIRC, you see at least six or seven patrol cars plus a SWAT-type van). The fact that the RPD used to be an art museum - such an institution is uncommon in towns below a certain size.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Dino Crisis would require very careful handling, since all 4 games in the series (1,2,3, and the PS2 Lightgun game with a different name) are very different from one another. Resident Evil's had only two real design paradigms outside of spinoffs, with VII being a possible outlier (I've not gotten around to playing more than about ten minutes of it for various reasons), and most fans of the franchise have things they like about all the mainline games.

Dino Crisis is different. You have four games that could easily be in four different franchises, and at least 2 of them have pretty die-hard fans. Remakes would almost certainly try to please everybody, and probably fail.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

A pretty tiny one, IIRC.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

There's a giant scorpion, a giant bat, leech-men, and a tyrant. Don't recall an crocodile.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, the scorpion is fought on the train.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Onimusha has been one of those names kicked around for awhile now, but couldn't it also possibly be something non-survival horror? Capcom has a lot of IPs that could do with a RE Engine makeover, like imagine a Mega Man on that!

The engine would work pretty well for a Mega Man Legends remake, but I'm going to assume that isn't it.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

There's 4 story episodes and two extras. All six episodes with a ton of DLC are available on Steam for $30

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, what's that NES (or was it SNES?) spiritual precursor to the RE series like? Is it any good? IIRC, it's Japanese only, but there are translation patches out there, right?

You're thinking of Sweet Home, which is a horror jRPG that is based on a Japanese horror movie. Mechanically, it is kind of clunky, but it's not bad at all. There's a good LP or two on the Archive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOPW2DSLeo-

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

We're talking about a company that not only co-locates most of their illegal weapons laboratories with an elaborate death-trap-filled mansion, but patterns most of those at least in part on the same mansion. The explanation's much simpler. The lab guy likes mansions and deathtraps, the guy in charge of biological Terminator units likes hats.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

redreader posted:

Playing RE4 on normal: please suggest me which guns to buy / upgrade? Also, should I upgrade nothing until I get the correct guns?

There's no need to avoid upgrading - as long as you are aggressive at finding treasures, you'll have plenty of money - especially if you do the shooting ranges.

My personal breakdown:

As far as pistols go, the only one that stands out is the Punisher. You get a free from the blue medallions, and getting all of them gives you a free upgrade.

Sell it immediately - it is pretty terrible stat-wise, and the special ability of punching through multiple targets is not useful.

Of the other three, all are viable, but I'd stick with the Red9 for power or the Blacktail for rapid fire. The starting handgun is in the middle, and is OK. Even if you don't plan to keep it, upgrade the standard handgun until you get the one you want.

For shotguns, there's only one endgame choice - the Striker. Upgrade the free starting shotgun until you get the Striker, then switch. Skip the middle one completely.

Magnums - Use the free Broken Butterfly or buy one and sell the free one. The second magnum has higher ammo capacity and rate of fire, but less raw damage, and single-shot damage is the Magnum's niche.

Rifles depend on the version of the game. In the original Gamecube release, the second rifle is outright better in every way, because it is rapid firing and (more importantly) doesn't pop out of zoom after every shot). Later releases allow the first rifle to eventually have higher per-shot damage.

TMP/Mine Thrower
Most people will tell you that both of these weapons are garbage.

Those people are idiots. Both are excellent for all-purpose use, and the existence of the TMP is why I personally prefer the Red9 over the Blacktail - the TMP covers the rapid-fire niche.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Grimthwacker posted:

Sorry, Leon. I still have the clock tower puzzle to do; I have the large gear in place but I'm apparently missing a small gear? And that kinda sucks that they give you all those locked doors for a key you can't get.

It is to segregate their two plotlines the way the original game did. In the original game, Claire's subplot with Irons and Sherry was blocked off by the helicopter crash ruining the door to the Chief's office, and only Claire found the C4 to blast it open. Leon's subplot with Ada was gated by a car in the parking lot that needed two adults to push it.

This was rather clunky, and I think just having each character get 3/4 keys is a much more elegant solution.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

After going through the demo, I have few complaints, and those are fairly minor.

The shotgun feels useless at anything other than "shove the barrel in their mouth" range. At least twice, I shot at zombies from a bit further away and missed completely due to the spread.

Either setting the game to surround sound didn't work, or it is not implemented well - I couldn't track Nemesis by sound.

Jill's handgun in the demo is a Glock, not the iconic Beretta/"Samurai Edge". This is petty since they're functionally the same, but it just feels wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

0 rows returned posted:

if nemesis loses track of you or you hide in a safe room, he climbs up to the rooftop and then drops back near you when you come out/cross some threshold

kind of bullshit way to handle him teleporting but maybe it was just that section

Wasn't just him losing track, I'm talking about running past him while he's still shouting "STARS!" and actively chasing me. That should have zipped from my front right speaker to my rear left and didn't.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

Iím still trying to figure out how it is that Mr. X (and presumably Nemesis too, havenít played the demo yet) are strong enough to punch through concrete walls and twist steel, but our beloved human protagonists can somehow survive being punched in the face by them.

Nemesis's abilities operate on a Vancian system, and his "Punch through Concrete" skill only works a couple of times a day.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Night10194 posted:

As someone else said: The irony of Umbrella is that a real-world company that produced something like First Aid Spray would make infinite money. Just Umbrella doesn't give a poo poo about money, Umbrella is entirely the fever-dream of eugenicist aristocrat idiots. The absolute commitment to 'these racist eugenicist pricks are monsters' is one of my favorite weird details about this dumb action-horror series.

The novelizations doubled down on this, and built the entire thing around the typical "Big Pharma" conspiracy bullshit. That version's T-Virus was originally a super cure that the execs didn't want, because Curing A Disease Is Bad For Profit. So they assassinated the inventor and turned the work over to Birkin to develop as a weapon.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

One of the reasons that it annoys me is that the Glock is too good to be a "starter weapon" like Claire's little revolver in RE2make. If she starts with it in the full game, there's little reason to find the Beretta in the RPD or something and switch to it.

A Glock makes a lot of sense, especially if we want to assume it is her personal property instead of RPD issue. It just feels out of place in the series.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

It starts out with him seeming relatively normal (if theatrical) about her death. Even his "she was a true beauty... but no longer!" bit wasn't too bad except for the delivery. It only really got creepy when he started talking about his former hobby of taxidermy.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

The line is "She was a true beauty... Her skin nothing short of perfection..." And if that musing doesn't set off alarm klaxons in your head I don't know what will.

Everybody's mind is going to be strained under the circumstances - look at the gun shop dialogue, or Mr. Locks Himself In A Truck from the start of 3. The same line could have been a giy fixating on something stupid to keep his mind together - with a different delivery.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

As somebody who likes Code Veronica a great deal, there's so much that they did poorly. The game would be 100% better if they'd rearranged the prison chapter to loop (like RE1 or RE2, where you're constantly unlocking one-way doors or kicking shortcut ladders or otherwise finding shortcuts back) instead of being a long oval that you had to repeatedly backtrack through, for example.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Code Veronica had the evil transgendered chick right? Or was that only in the novels?

There isn't really any trans element, but it can easily come off that way to modern viewpoints.

The first arc villain Alfred did dress as his twin sister Alexia, but that was because he couldn't cope with her absence (the normal twin closeness was creepily far and all-but-incestuous, at least from his direction) after her "death". His mind broke in half, and half of his mind developed an Alexia personality so he could convince himself that she was still present.

Both the game and the novelization had him realize this because of a personality mismatch -he switched to Alfred while dressed as Alexia- but only the book had any kind of from-his-pov mental dialogue.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Caidin posted:

Is skorts actually a term now?

Only since 1959.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

The only Resident Evil on the N64 is Resident Evil 2, and it's one of the worse ports despite some added features.

As far as I know, all the features are included in the Dual Shock Edition for PS1 and the GameCube version. Emulating the Gamecube version allows you to use the fancy upscaled backgrounds, which makes it look like an entirely new game.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was kinda joking with the Redfield family vacation comment, but I feel like it could actually work. Claire has like the most solid characterization of any RE protagonist, so you don't need to do as much with her, while it'd give them the perfect opportunity to explore another side of Chris. Pretty much every outing with him has been him as a professional, but pairing him up with his sister would give us a chance to see him with his guard down. Like seriously, make Chris the chill one of the pair, while Claire is cursing up a storm over getting involved in this bullshit, again.

The total lack of direct association between Chris and Claire has always baffled me. The only game they're both in is CV, and they have something like two or three minutes of shared screentime. Even a full RE2 or RE3 style "intersecting protagonists" approach would probably have been pretty solid.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Jolo posted:

Does buying the bolt cutters and lockpick from the item shop just put them in the chest from the start of the game? You get both of those things in the first twenty minutes or so which doesn't seem like it'd save much in the way of time.

It is fundamentally the same as Mr. X busting through the wall in the B scenario. Something that you thought was safe no longer can be assumed so, so you're going to have an edge of paranoia for the rest of the game.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Ganados aren't zombies. Not budging on that.

"Not a zombie" is literally the first thing you learn about the Ganado.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Finally got around to playing R3R, and I found it to be a mixed experience. The length was OK, although I didn't like some of the changes, particularly Carlos going to the Police Station instead of Jill, as a highlight of the original for me was the way she actually knew who's desk was who's and commented on it a bit. Jill and Carlos were characterized perfectly, with the highlights being Jill finding the Hunter and Tyrant tubes in the lab and instantly recognizing them and Carlos's shocked realization that that Jill was right - Umbrella was, in fact, behind everything - and yet she was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway. The only real character issue I had was Nikolai, and I can't quite put my finger on why - a summary of both versions of the character would be nigh-identical, but the old one felt realer, somehow.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

i think he comes off as a craven opportunist in RE3R

That might actually be the distinction I was looking for. OG Nikolai had very clearly planned out what he was going to do, while this version comes across as "Finally, I've got a justification for my self-centered worldview, and an opportunity to make bank!". The original would have taken a lot of the same actions, but the attitude would have been different.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

On the subject of difficulty levels, I was really annoyed that RE3 kept in the intrusive "DO YOU WANT TO SWITCH TO THE LOWEST DIFFICULTY?" pop-up. The "change difficulty" option in the corner isn't a problem for me, but constantly nagging me to use an option that I will never voluntarily use is a massive pain.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There isn't really any puzzles or silly obtuse things in the remake until towards the end of the game in the Umbrella lab, whereas the original had silly stuff like the statue of the mayor concealing a battery used to power an elevator leading to the substation for... no real reason. It was common for people to make fun of Raccoon City for making no sense and being a nightmare to navigate because of all of the dumb puzzles around to the point that Capcom justifies it in RE2 by basically stating the RPD used to be a museum and Chief Irons is batshit insane and also Umbrella likes their obtuse bullshit. Even RE7 tried to justify its puzzles with having Lucas be a crazed oddball who juryrigs random poo poo.

The "chief's crazy" and "station was converted from an art museum" explanations were in the original RE2, and there was effort to justify several of the other puzzles as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

Aren't they the creatures that violate Jill's face every time she gets hit by them? That seems pretty nasty to me.