Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

Didn't it have a bleed mechanic where raptors would hunt you if you didn't fix up your wounds? Like, "safe" hallways would have them opening the doors (thanks Jurassic Park) and coming after you like Sharks in for the kill?
Yep, although I think the raptors would go ahead and open some doors anyway in a pursuit. I really should replay DC some time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Thinking of trying a Pro run of RE4 since I've never done it, anything I can do to make it easier first time through or am I just gonna have to suck it up?
Abuse melee, and suck it up when you do too well and get rubberbanded into line. You don't have to kill everyone/everything either, which, despite being incredibly obvious, might help.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

Apologies, have the less badass censored version with different music instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSTACbz9Cc

Oh hell, not that loving OST again.
Sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm just glad that DC DualShock wasn't my introduction to the series. When I finally got around to seeing what all the fuss was about (musically), I broke down in a laughing hysterical mess and had to stop playing once I heard Mansion Basement. Everything else in the OST up until that point had been bland and bad (with the exception of Plant 42 which probably remains the most confusingly chaotic bunch of keyboard mashing bullshit in any game ever), but that basement tune was just unbelievably horrible.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

And the plot twist that is Wesker's Betrayal™, which makes the whole scene sound and play out like some sort of crap attempt at a detective thriller.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Revelations 2 has a weekend survivor mission at the moment which is a riot in co-op. My partner and I lucked out this time as it gave us all the difficult stages early on and once the poo poo hit the fan with enemies 20+ levels higher than us, they were mostly throwing low-tier crap at us. No bossfight with Neil either, which was a relief of sorts. Got to Floor 17 in the hour of gametime it gave us, which is probably terrible compared to Super Pro MLG players but whatever.

Worth pointing out that I loving hate Scagdeads, and the tougher stages simply adore the overuse of those bastards with stat buffs. Those, and Revenants.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

The one bonus stage I had to flat-out give up on was the one that was set in the hallway at the very beginning of Leon's RE6 campaign, and the last enemy in it was a hasted, invisible Scagdead. There was just no way to kill it without a relatively specialized arsenal that I, of course, did not have.

Oh hell, that stage. Yes, it's a total fucker if you're ill-prepared. I've had to RQ that one a few times when it crops up as a character-specific Daily Mission; in addition to that Scagdead, it frequently lobs in a buffed Rotten toward the end with the ability to buff everything around it. Great! So now I'm underpowered, low on ammo and everything here just got even more dangerous! Hasted Scagdeads though are probably the absolute worst things to deal with because of that insta-kill grab they have.

Edit:
There's also the stage set in the Subway area of Leon's RE6 campaign (where you'd have to avoid getting smashed by approaching trains) with a Shielded Tank Scagdead at the end. This has also been a game-ending encounter on several occasions when I'm stuck with a low-level character and limited weapons/ammo.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 18, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

codo27 posted:

Yeah whatever, thats from Ghouls n' Ghosts. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but if you wanna have fun, get RE1 for PC. All the audio files are just WAVs that sit right in the directory, which means you can easily record and overwrite them with your own goony nonsense. This could be a comedy goldmine, I wish I still had the video of the version we did of the opening sequence inside the mansion years ago. Zombies saying "yummy!" when they bite you and bullet sounds replaced with spoken "kablammo!"

Actually have RE1 for PC. Doesn't really get along with my new system since all the transparencies seem to just be ignored (resulting in massive black boxes around most of the scenery and all the text, among other things), but playing it through a VM works wonders. And yes, the ability to replace all sounds and music caused me to make retarded stuff out of boredom for a while, although usually this meant I'd just waste an afternoon slapping in a load of (ill-fitting) Doom II sounds.

Hearing the Flamethrower scream like Doom's Plasma Rifle made me never want to use the Flamethrower.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh god, better. At least there were other sounds!

Replacing every music track in RE1 with The Tim Allen Grunt would result in absolute hell.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

A man can only see his team-mates get destroyed by virus-related abominations so many times before his mind snaps. He's been through a lot...

Ryoga posted:

All music is now the dual shock edition mansion basement music.
All sound effects are now the Dual Shock Mansion Basement music. This is the worst idea I've ever had.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

Which way do you take at the fork? Do you fight the Ganados or El Gigante?
Both. For treasures. :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

I always run around to use that key anyways because I have a broken brain.
I use it because I hate having poo poo like that in my inventory, even though it doesn't actually get in the way at any point.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

StandardVC10 posted:

How do you do both?
Use the lever to unlock a door, clear the area, go back out the same door, fiddle with the lever a second time to open the other path. Easy.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tried so many times to dunk both Gigantes at once using various stun methods to keep one of them on the trapdoor while leading the other over it, never seems to happen. As pointed out, only one at a time seems to be able to occupy the space over the lava trap, despite there apparently being more than enough room for both.

Raxivace posted:

RE6 Mercs is so much fun, holy poo poo.
Yes. Yes it is. By far it's my favourite minigame/extra mode in any RE game, especially No Mercy (PC exclusive). My only complaint is that now, if I host or join a pubbie session (don't panic, it's a rare occurence!), it's all full of dickheads that try nothing but counterattacks all the time. This is a good way to get yourself killed really fast on some maps, especially something like Rooftop Mission. Not to mention that these same pubbies will leave/kick/restart if the score counter doesn't reach some arbitrary number at whatever moment, without warning or agreement whatsoever. In other words, it's (unsurprisingly) best enjoyed with friends who aren't trying to prove to random players on the internet how great they are at reading a button prompt.

Speaking of RE6 Mercs (specifically No Mercy, I suppose), am I the only one who things Urban Chaos -- despite being the first level -- actually becomes the most difficult during the closing stages? Everything just goes to loving hell with dogs and Bloodshots and Whoppers spawning everywhere and I invariably get swarmed by all this and more, turning it into less of a massacre and more a desperate race to just survive. Even in Duo we get swamped, regardless of firepower.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rocket Launcher is better saved for Salazar, in my opinion. Verdugo's a piece of poo poo, yes, but he can't suddenly OHK you, unlike Salazar.

Although of course buying another RL is perfectly fine too :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

MinibarMatchman posted:

somehow replace Mr. X encounters for Scenario B with Nemesis.
Are you ill or something? This sort of thinking is reason enough to be sectioned.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No, not like that! Besides, I can't pilot helicopters. But why would you (or anyone) want to replace Mr. X though?! What insanity comes next? Remove Jill's hat?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I wouldn't worry about that, I played the ever-loving gently caress out of the original prior to REmake's release and if anything I think it made me appreciate all the subtle differences and bigger changes to the game constantly throwing me for a loop even more. I can only expect the same level of care & attention and whatnot to be applied to RE2 Remake, so naturally I'm just playing RE2 whenever the hell I feel like it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's actually a far more important moment than you may think!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yep, ODZ screwing up the save like that is one of the few things REmake actually got wrong with the extra content.

And playing 'Real Survival' mode makes me appreciate magic interlinked item boxes all the more. Holy poo poo I've never had to plan so much and still run around in so many circles for so few items, and I still end up forgetting something somewhere along the line. FFFFFUUUUUUUUCK.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

But gently caress you Forrest for hiding behind the cupboard in that small rear end room.
Oh, memories... :allears: Shoved the cabinet aside expecting that fat zombie to come stumbling out after me so without checking first I raised my Grenade Launcher and BOOM! Back to the main menu!

blackguy32 posted:

I like how they didn't change the flamethrower at all to not be a piece of poo poo.
I hate how near-pointless this thing is outside of wasting Chris' time with multiple (needlessly) locked doors. Sure it's a 'free' weapon to use on Black Tiger in the middle of all that poo poo but I'd really liked to have kept it for the rest of the game too to roast those Chimera bastards with.

Mogomra posted:

I never bothered with invisible enemies though...
Did it once on GCN (it took all night and two of us to actually power through the loving mess), not even going to bother with it on PC. Far more work than fun.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 23, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Alteisen posted:

Bolt action is best rifle. :colbert:
This post endorsed whole-heartedly by the lategame. 9/10 Regenerator-class monsters agree!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Or in other words, if I did the good end with Chris would it be just the same thing again when I do it with Jill? I like the game a lot but I don't want to replay it that many times, at least not yet.
Yes, for the most part. It's worth getting the best ending with both characters though just to get all the rewards...

Amppelix posted:

Is the save I got after beating the game any different from just starting a new game? It doesn't seem to be.
...which this save contains if you meet certain conditions. The best ending on Advanced/Arrange (wording depends on version of Director's Cut you have) nets you a Colt Python with infinite ammo, whereas achieving the best ending under three hours will bag you a Rocket Launcher with infinite ammo. The save (obviously) only affects that character though, so you can't get the best ending as Jill and expect to run around as Chris with a load of new toys.

Standard/Original and Training modes however will not give you a Colt Python to play with no matter what. Instead you get the 'Special Key' on completing the game (regardless of ending), but the RL unlock remains the same as in Advanced/Arrange.

Instead of replaying Advanced/Arrange as Jill, you might have more fun playing Standard/Original instead. Item & monster shuffles and all that jazz, so it'll be a bit different at least in that regard.

Serious Frolicking posted:

semi-auto is definitely better for regenerators, but there are only a few of those to begin with so that is kind of a non-issue.
It's also better for crowd control and DPM vs tougher mooks if the game suddenly insists on giving you nothing but rifle ammo for longer stretches. I like the Bolt Action for sheer one-shot stopping power against a distant Salvador or J.J. shambling around the area, but it simply can't compete with the versatility of the Semi-Auto in the late game on harder difficulties. Especially when you keep losing focus between every shot.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Chris is borderline retarded in the original game. Fair enough, not everyone would be able to solve the piano puzzle (I certainly can't play fluently enough and have no ability at all to read sheet music, so I'd be stuck in the mansion forever), but then some of the other puzzles are simple enough for anyone to solve yet Mr. Redfield is still stumped and just stands there, all "durrrrrr" and unable to do anything. Basic arithmetic in particular defeats him!

Then of course we get wonderful exchanges between him and Rebecca, such as:
"It's me, Chris..."
"Is that YOU, Rebecca?"

This man is effectively (but not officially) Alpha Team's second-in-command, by the way.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HATECUBE posted:

Any tips on how to deal with the first encounter? I kind of remember your not supposed to get too far away from him, run past on his right and just doot him with the pistol instead of the shotgun.

Something like that. Keep him close enough so that he doesn't burst into a mad dash and start weaving your head into the concrete, basically. Never been too good at fighting Nemesis, so that's about all I can 'recommend' for such ideas. You could run away back out the main gate and lure him down to the metal door at the opposite end of the road where he apparently gets stuck on a frequent basis (primitive pathfinding!), but I'm not being held responsible if you get a tentacle through the head for it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Emblem? You mean the Unicorn Medal? Use it by the statue in the main hall to get the first of many keys. The use for the red jewels will be really obvious once you start accessing other areas of the RPD.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This thread inspired me to try another run through RE3 with idiotic self-imposed challenge stuff (I don't know why I thought no handgun/shotgun without enhanced ammo was a good idea). Twenty minutes in and...

Well, maybe I'll try that one again when I'm a bit closer to sober.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RE2 is generally considered to be the easiest of the classics by a long shot; ammo is plentiful, health placement is generously spaced, monsters (especially zombies) frequently like to stagger (or equivalent) after being hit and most of the time there is a decent "power weapon" (or at least ammo for it) conveniently placed shortly before each boss battle.

Compare to RE1, RE3 or CV where you can often be sent up poo poo creek without a paddle, almost on a whim!

Also the earliest healing item I recall in RE2 is a Green Herb just outside the RPD in one of the plant tubs by the underpass. If there's anything before that then I've never needed it :v:

Spiffster posted:

That means... NO weapons other then the knife until RCPD. It's doable but have fun with that.
Yep, and this horrifying reality dawned on me as I stood around letting Brad repeatedly save me from the zombie in Bar Black Jack. Fun Fact: 99/100 times (alright maybe this fraction isn't entirely accurate), Brad will prevent the zombie from landing a successful bite on you. I've only taken damage once in this scene, and that was a complete shock since up to that point I thought it was a literal impossibility to actually be hurt during this moment.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 26, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Amppelix posted:

It's probably because I played Jill's arrange first, but I found Chris' normal to be practically a cakewalk.
Something worth noting here is that the 'normal' mode in Director's Cut is actually easier than the original release of the game was outside of Japan; for whatever reason (most likely to prevent players from just finishing the game over the course of a weekend rental and never actually buying it full-price), the NA and PAL versions of RE1 have an artificial difficulty inflation with all the regular monsters being doubly-durable on average. Unsurprisingly, this results in all sorts of horror shows during the return to the mansion, where Hunters will happily take 2-3 shots from the Colt Python (or as many Acid Rounds from the 'Bazooka') before expiring, so you have to pick your fights somewhat carefully during that stretch of the game. Even the early game as Chris can be a horrible experience, with zombies potentially being total loving bullet sponges (13 Beretta rounds is my personal unwanted record in this category of bullshit difficulty). Weirdly however, all the bosses were unchanged.

(Also, it's a bit late now, but the zombies are just mere one-shot cannon fodder to the Shotgun in RE1; just blast 'em in the gut and watch their heads pop like over-ripe watermelons.)

Amppelix posted:

I just got past the sewers
And that's pretty much the end for any sort of challenge if you found a certain ludicrously powerful piece of kit along the way. :v:

HATECUBE posted:

Oh neat, thanks for the tip. What about having 10 slots and getting nemesis drops?

E: I'm going back through the 2nd vid and at about 10:20 he just has 2 more slots. "Side pack" you get from Carlos right?
Yep, received on the cable car after the first meeting with Nicholai and Mikhail.

Spiffster posted:

did anyone else hoard there Gunpowder in 3? I saved all my gunpowder to make as much Freeze/Mag rounds as possible and got quite untouchable by the end of the game (Nemesis at the beginning was an utter terror though :stonk: )
Not really. I just use it to make enhanced ammo ASAP and seem to find enough of all the other stuff along my way to still wind up as a walking armoury long before I reach the Dead Factory. If there's one thing RE3 is stupidly generous with, it's standard Grenade Rounds, and most mooks are laughably vulnerable to 'em.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I actually prefer Claire's weaponset over Leon's by quite a bit. Leon does have an objectively easier set to handle with very obvious purposes for each weapon, but the relative safety of such a clear-cut and conventional arsenal is just so much less exciting to use compared to Claire's collection of wonderful toys. Besides, who doesn't like pinning crows to the wall with 8-inch bolts, or making a pack of dogs disintegrate with a cluster of high-explosives?

Amppelix posted:

Do unlocks cross scenarios in RE2? I'd kinda like to jump into Claire A/Leon B, but I really want to strut my new fancy costumes while doing so
Yes, and no. Assuming you're playing the PlayStation version, stuff you unlock in one A/B set won't carry across to the other (i.e. unlocking the SMG, GG and RL in Claire A/Leon B won't let you play with them if you start playing Leon A/Claire B). As far as costumes go, you have to unlock these every time you start an A Scenario by finding Brad and stealing his Special Key, and doing so will put the Special Key in the Item Box for the B Scenario (there's no other way to get this key). It's been a while since I bothered with the special costumes in RE2 though, so I might be wrong on having to find Brad every time you play on one save.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If Ada's campaign stayed without the "wedged-in as a compromise" co-op possibility, I honestly wouldn't have batted a loving eyelid outside of an initial "oh, right" on seeing that there was no co-op option. I mean it's Ada for Christ's sake; canonically she's always operated solo (albeit conveniently running into Leon almost every time in the process (and in turn this results in her violating her mission orders at some point, one way or another)), so it makes perfect sense to not have a co-op mode.

But of course not everyone who bought RE6 even knew who the gently caress Ada was at the time so complaints and whining about her not having co-op was inevitable :v:

All that being said, 'Agent' is a bit of a giggle and still some welcome extra firepower in No Hope, even if he can't open doors or really do anything outside of shoot things and teleport around when Ada makes progress.

marshmallow creep posted:

I was not aware RE3 ever came out on PC.
The only game in the mainline series without a PC release is Code: Veronica, which is all the more confusing now since it eventually had a HD release on X360 and PS3.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 27, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh for gently caress's sake. RE3 (PC) decided to ruin my latest run with dumb self-imposed challenge (an attempt at no-saving on Hard*) by suddenly and inexplicably crashing during Carlos' segment in the hospital. Up until that point everything was going pretty wonderfully, too. Got the key to Room 402 (Sickroom Key), left the Data Room and... and...

...sigh. That's about an hour or so down the loving toilet.

*"That doesn't seem very challenging!", some of you may be thinking. And you're right, except that in my case, it's a pretty stupid idea to go around not saving when playing a game with so many pseudo-random elements, since I have the absolute worst luck in the world with this stuff.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Welp started re2 dualschock edition on emulator, got to the police station an saw first lich, then died, apparently the first green herb was behind it? Any tips for the game? Is there a quick turn or any other features besides shooting/runnin/walking?
Best tip is to start at the beginning of the series and get used to feeling like a cumbersome lead-footed fool when you'll only have a few things attacking at once :v: There is actually a Green Herb just outside the front of the RPD in one of the plant tubs near the underpass stairway though, which should/might help.

But no, there isn't a Quickturn action in RE2, outside of using Autoaim to spin around quickly to shoot something behind you. Which character are you using?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lucky you, Leon is the easier of the two characters if you're a beginner. Anyway!

First tip: get the Shotgun from Kendo after the zombies bite his face off. Shoot them down first if you have to though, since there's no point in taking heavy damage so early on.
Second tip: don't use the Shotgun AT ALL until you encounter the Licker. There's enough handgun ammo scattered around the route to the RPD to mow down anything that gets in the way.

That's about it, really, at least for the early game (I know, it's a real in-depth guide!). As long as you bother searching rooms properly, RE2 becomes incredibly generous with health/ammo supplies once you get to the RPD. I still wouldn't get too happy with the Shotgun on mere zombies until later on, though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nah, not everything, just a few items here and there. Most things are in plain sight really, you just have to roam around each room fully for the camera angle to change and show you where some stuff is.

blackguy32 posted:

You could just save and then quit and delete your save if you die.
Bit late for that! Besides, it'd ruin my endgame results screen and I'd feel like I cheated.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ManOfTheYear posted:

So what's the general opinion on rev2? Realized I own it and haven't beaten it, played it to episode 3 with a friend but we lost our interest, mainly because player two won't get to shoot anything. Is it fun to play it alone?
I really like it, but then I also really like RE6 which in some circles apparently makes me the worst person to have ever lived. And yes, it's fun to play solo. Being a PC owner I didn't really have that much of a choice in that regard, but I enjoyed it all the same and replayed it almost immediately.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

MATALO! GET THE PITCHFORKS!
See! I've already got a man wearing a potato sack over his head shambling around outside my door now!

Drunken Baker posted:

Only thing I didn't like was levelling multiple characters to unlock their skills for other characters.
Agreed somewhat, getting them all to Lvl.50 is a bit of a chore too (and I can't even remember what it was for!). No way I'm getting them all to Lvl.100 any time soon either.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Backhand posted:

Emphasis on 'gets in the way.' Once you make it to the RPD, you never ever have to go back out into the streets again (in fact, you aren't able to) so you should definitely dodge as many zoms as you can - once you're past any given zombie in the streets, you never have to worry about that particular zombie again.

Maybe I phrased my point poorly, because near enough everything in the game after the gun shop gets in my way; really, you can just mow 'em all down on route to the RPD without suffering for it at all :v:

Edit:
Unrelated, but here's what happens if I try playing RE1 on PC:

Transparency appears to have hosed itself into not behaving as intended!

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 29, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

catlord posted:

Are you using a wrapper of some kind, like DGVoodoo? If not, try one, that might help.
Tried all sorts, but outside of using a VM nothing fixes the issue.

Anyway, started a fresh run of RE4 on Professional, and Del Lago has to be the biggest load of RNG poo poo in the game.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

In that case I just have the absolute worst loving luck with avoiding his turnarounds then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So just after finding Ashley I'm lugging all this crap around and clearly playing too conservatively even by Professional standards:

(Note: Grenades are a total waste of space most of the time.)

And then by the time I get to Salazar's castle (just after laughing at the Spanish drunk-driver behind the wheel of the truck), I'm left with this piddling amount because of Bitores "Damage Sponge" Mendez and his incredible ability to not loving die even after a sound beating:

Admittedly I've barely upgraded my weapons outside of increased capacity (because I'm not keeping any of these throughout) but holy loving poo poo he sure took his time accepting defeat.