Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
My first playthroughs of RE2/3 were with the Seamless HD project (which were amazing BTW)

I will gladly buy these to play again, especially if they add some bonus stuff/QOL features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Vikar Jerome posted:

crossgen confirmation, release date, demo dropping today, hilariously bad looking MP, what else did you want.

Reading about theories on RE1-3 Classic rereleases got me hyped.

Guess I'll just play the Seamless HD games again

edit: That multiplayer just looked... incredibly, incredibly janky. Is it really that hard to do a good horde mode?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Medullah posted:

The demo is just a visual demo right? I thought they said that

They said no combat I believe, so probably just a puzzle or two?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

acksplode posted:

Leon using spare volume in his gun case to store eggs, a self contained space efficient serving-size protein dense snack, is warrior poo poo and any purported remake of RE4 better acknowledge it.

If we can't stun grenade a group of chickens and get a small field of eggs out of it I think we can all agree that would make the REm4ke an abject failure.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I only first played the Resident Evil series in 2019, after RE2Remake taught me how to love horror games. I went through all the numbered entries (more or less sequentially) and the sheer nosedive in quality from 4 ---> 5 ----> 6 was truly astonishing. 4 was a weird and unwelcome departure but was at least very good at what it wanted to do, and its charm did eventually win me over. And of course its influence on TPS and other action games that would come later was apparent.

5 was at least tolerable but very clear that it was made by people who wanted to ape 4 but were just not as talented.

6 was just a loving mess and a near unbearable slog. And then compounded insult to injury by being around twice the length of every other RE game. I envy those who played it co-op, at least you had someone to laugh at it with.

I will say this for 6 though - it made that first hour of 7 even more amazing because it was like getting to breathe fresh air again. Hell I actually played 0 at the same time as 6 and it made ZERO look pretty good in contrast.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

lurker2006 posted:

curious what you thought of the remake of 3 if you played it.

I quite liked it, actually. I missed the sections that were removed but also made the characters likeable so it had that going for it. Nemesis was a disappointment because I was sure Mr. X was just a dry-run for their Nemesis tech/pathfinding. It's also the only one I have replayed (outside of 2 and 2RE's A/B routes)

Pablo Nergigante posted:

One reason I prefer RE6 over 5 is precisely because you don’t have to manage the AI partner’s inventory.

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember liking re5 when I originally played it but I HATE co-op play in almost any game and especially hate it with an AI partner...

Surprisingly I didn't really run into an AI issues. I only played on Normal however so maybe it becomes a problem higher up? Or just patches later smoothed out the issues. And I liked/hated in 6 that the AI partner didn't really need any sort of babysitting or micro from me. Hated it in the fact that I was never alone... in a horror game...

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Leave posted:

I was super bummed that there was no infinite shotgun.

I'd support a law requiring infinite shotgun ammo in all games that have shotguns.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh so there was vertical aiming? That honestly makes me want to play the original 2, because vertical aiming with a fixed camera and tank controls sounds hilariously janky in the best way.

I first played it a couple of years ago with this -

https://www.reshdp.com/re2/

Fantastic game, if you can get used to the tank controls. I had no problems with it myself.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Aww yisss - some very light Lady action

https://gfycat.com/deliciousbrightcondor

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

RealFoxy posted:

Maybe that's why Ethan is the new go-to main character. This is all stupid and none of this makes sense and his lines are all "This is stupid and makes no sense"

I will defend RE3R for two lines of dialogue -

-A flaming Nemesis falls into the lake... "Bitch can't even swim"

-When Carlos goes to a locked door in the hospital and a computer voice says "Voice lock enabled! Please provide voice identification" and he responds with a bewildered "Voice identification? What the hell is this sci-fi poo poo?!"

I loving died at those lines. I love when RE protagonists comment on how demented some of this poo poo is.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
RE7 is survival horror, RE4 and 5 are not.

Your regular weapon takes forever to kill things, because they're actual monsters and you have a regular-rear end pistol, and you regularly risk running out of supplies if you don't weigh your options carefully. RE4 just heaps more ammo on you at all times and lets you feel powerful, RE1-3 + 7 are not meant to play like that. If you want an action game with horror elements like 4-6, 7 is simply not for you.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Josherino posted:

It's not that I'm not into the horror genre, I guess I just struggle trying to pick it up and stick to it.
I first got into the horror genre and the RE series by playing RE2 Remake - I went on to play all of the numbered entries through 2019 and I loved them (on the whole...)

So I say start with RE2 Remake

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
RE1 original is the only mainline entry I haven't played, I skipped it because the common sentiment is that the remake wholly supplants it (whereas the remake of 2 and 3 are more complementary).

Hearing all of this weird fuckin music makes me think I need to try it out anyway

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Scores are looking VERY good

Kinda sad its leaning more into 4's action style but I still liked it well enough. The real problem is finishing it enough to be ready for Mass Effect just a week later...

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Do we know when it unlocks on steam in NA?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
A bit past two hours in - its wonderfully creepy but definitely not as scary. There's a couple sections already that I've played that I'm pretty sure were longer and more terrifying but at some point during development they toned it down

The cellars underneath the castle especially

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I'm only a few hours in so it might change - but it's definitely scarier than 4. Not even close to RE2R or 7 but definitely scarier than 4.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I just finished the 'fourth' area

the reservoir

And god drat - the art direction in this game is off the loving charts. Give the entire visual team a raise

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

King Vidiot posted:

Is everybody but me playing on Hardcore? I had zero problems with the first survival, but then all I really did was hide in the tunnel under one of the houses. I killed several, waited it out and then the cutscene trigger when I poked my head out of the crawlspace.

The only "difficulty" I had was when I fell through a roof into a wall and had to reload a checkpoint.

Casual mode here - I always play first on the easiest though. I am terrified very easily and a bad shot so it's basically like a regular person playing on normal :laugh:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Eight hours and completed!

Very very vague 'ending sequence' spoilers -

Anyone who doesn't like the last two parts is dumb, all that poo poo was awesome

Sakurazuka posted:

I just realised that the crone woman from the early game just completely disappears, I assumed she was going to be important somehow but she just walks off screen and never gets mentioned again that I remember.

Maybe she was Miranda the entire time? We see her take the crone form

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I thought Ethan was pretty 'whatever' in 7 and was disappointed he was back for 8 (even my girl Jill doesn't get two games in a row!!) but yeah - by the end there they got me pretty worked up.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It's a loving double-bladed lightsaber

What's kinda weird is that it isn't a One hit kill on regular enemies which seems like a no-brainer for a super weapon

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anyone else feel like the mold aspect of RE7 feels kind of incongruous in this game? Giant trees... made of mold? Calcified crystal... made of mold? Parasitic psuedo-fetuses that turn people into wolfmans, Draculas, a Magneto, and an avid-vomiting Jaws... made of mold? Mold has done more poo poo in two games than viruses did in a comparable amount of time with the Umbrella titles, I feel.

It makes me feel a little unxious about Rose ever coming back, because it feels she has the right origin story to be the video game version of Alice. If she absolutely has to come back, put her and Jake in their own Hobbs and Shaw-esque spinoff series of fighting BOWs via superpowers.

I don't exactly disagree, but from RE1 and 2 let's look at what we've got -

RE1 - Human zombies, dog zombies, crow zombies? (hyper-aggressive at least), Lisa Trevor, Crimsonheads, Giant plant monster, giant snake monster, Giant zombie sharks, Hunters, giant spiders and a Tyrant

RE2 - Lickers, Mr. X (mini tyrant?), G-types, giant alligators, even more giant bugs, even more giant carnivorous plants, whatever Birkin is....

Not a wholly incomparable spread

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Barudak posted:

Beneviento is awful, Thats just precious game time wasted.

How does it feel to just be so wrong about something

What is it like

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Medullah posted:

What is the benefit of doing Mercenaries? Is it just for the couple of weapons you unlock in the main game? Or do you get other rewards for doing it repeatedly. Other than trophies of course

You get bonus shop points for completing the levels and getting certain ranks.

This means you can have all the shotguns be infinite ammo - the way god intended.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
The worst part of RE3R is the end when you realize you're back in a cold, cruel, Carlos-less world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Alright I gotta ask, is there anyone else besides me that absolutely HATES the Crimson Heads? I don't mean in the intended fashion. I mean I think it's an absolutely horrible design decision that has actively hindered my enjoyment of REmake over the years. Then again I'm a freak that loves Code Veronica, warts and all.

This could be the only time on the internet where you might actually be the only one, yeah.