Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Giving Sheva an infinite ammo magnum turns her into an unstoppable angel of death.

What you really want to do now is fire up The Mercenaries Reunion and discover the joys of Barry and Josh. Although upgrading the weapons in RE5 is super satisfying, because they turn into absolute killing machines when they're maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

This game could land anywhere between loving terrible and really good.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Did we discuss this? Capcom came out and made some statements about the viability of a pure 'survival horror' RE game that has sent the internet into a frothing rage - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-resident-evil

Personally, I'm embarrassingly excited about RE6, and I played through Desperate Escape with my brother last weekend and had a hell of a good time, so I don't quite get the anger.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

That new trailer has given me a rock hard erection.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Glad to see the city thing that looked like a return to raccoon city was a huge fakeout.

gently caress Capcom.

That city thing was given a name in the first trailer and it wasn't Raccoon City then and it still isn't now.

Edit: It's called Tall Oaks and it seems to be where Leon's part in the story begins.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2012

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Man I hope they have Barry Burton in the Mercenaries mode again this time. People can say what they want about RE5, but that game loving owned.

Headbutting and Suplexing zombies is all I need.

Edit: Also the ridiculous, sleazy and over the top alternate costumes.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 10, 2012

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

Maybe the laser pointer is a perk on certain guns? I'd be fine with that, because I really love those kinds of guns. Especially the ones that are also flashlights.

You can see the source of a laser pointer under the barrel of Leon's handgun in one of the shots from the trailer, so they must be in there in some capacity. Although saying that, they didn't have the laser pointer in the Wii version did they?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Ahh go on, put Milla Jovovich in a RE game. What could she do, ruin the story?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Lucid Delusion posted:

I actually enjoyed RE5 but this game just looks like it might end up being a huge clusterfuck.

Let's hope so.

I NEED YOU TO FAKE OUR DEATHS

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

God I can't wait. Is the demo coming to the PS3?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I love a good RE handgun, they feel so meaty.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

They just did a live stream of Chris gameplay featuring a boss battle against a giant monster and lots of shooting.

It looks quite different from RE5, there are a lot more zombies with guns running about. And strangely they don't seem as dangerous as the ones in RE5, Chris can take a lot of damage.

It looks absolutely brilliant, I can't wait. If you're one of those Suvival Horror purists, I'd lower my expectations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

There's more live poo poo going down, with the game director I think... http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Eurogamer posted this today http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-grisly-details

And it also looks like they have jacked the invasion element from Demon's Souls and put it in RE6, which seems like a fantastic idea http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-as-a-monster

I can't wait for this game, I'm embarrassingly excited about it. I feel like I'm the only one too, since every article about it I read is followed up by thousands of comments decrying RE5 and ranting about the death of survival horror.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I'd really like to know how weapon upgrades are going to be handled in this game. If they're bringing back the merchant they're being awfully shy about it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I dunno man 5 was pretty wacky. I mean there is everything Wesker did, and that one guy turned into a massive sea monster and then there is the boulder incident.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I've went ahead and booked the 3rd October off work, and I'll be forcing my brother to bump off school that day so we can sit up all through the night playing the Leon campaign.

It's gonna be sweet.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I'm having a ton of fun revisiting The Mercenaries Reunion to get myself in the mood for RE6 being released. Anyone got any tips?

When I'm playing the first map as Josh I can get to around 100 enemies routed, but the time always runs out. I'm collecting as many of the time bonuses as possible and using melee attacks as often as I can (suplexes, elbow drops, power kicks... I loving love playing as Josh), but I always run out of time.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

Finally: Pray that it isn't the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

You know, I never understood people who said the original Resident Evil was scary, until now.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

There seems to have been some lengthy RE6 preview sent out to the gaming press, cause IGN have put up some (slightly spoilery) videos from each of the three main chapters.

Chris, Leon and Jake.

Also the game is released 5 weeks tomorrow.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Sections of RE6 look a lot like RE2 in a RE4 style, that's as close as you're going to get probably.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I called up a store nearby that regularly breaks the street date for games, and they said they're expecting it on 29th Sept.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

We really need a pure action, heavily melee focused Barry and Josh spin-off series.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Captain Walker posted:

Man, this right here is all I ever want from another mercs game. Like that lovely 3ds game but with wrestling moves and straight up executing a zombie/ganado/majini.

Yeah exactly, give me a really meaty, punchy handgun and I'm ready to go. I love the feel of the handguns in RE4 and 5, I hope it's not something that is missing from RE6.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

If it's not against the spectacularly strict embargo, could you tell us how long it took you to complete the campaigns?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I played about half an hour of the Chris section, but I'm busy tonight so don't have time to give it a proper go.

I agree with what Himuro is saying about the controls, they feel really loose compared to 4/5. The guns feel really imprecise, which is disappointing since the guns in 4/5 were (if you'll forgive the term) laser point accurate and packed a hell of a punch. Here they are kind of loose and unsatisfying.

I do like it though, it's just going to take a lot of adjusting to. Hopefully once I'm settled into the feel of the game it will be better.

Edit: How the gently caress do you use cover? Am I missing something obvious here?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I was really, really looking forward to RE6, but this demo has me all kinds of worried. I just can't get the hang of it at all, I can successfully stumble my way through the three campaigns, but my god... none of the mechanics feel good at all.

Part of the problem might be that I'm trying to play the game using the stagger -> melee technique that worked so well in RE5, but it just doesn't seem to be effective here (which is a shame, since it was part of what made combat so loving fun in RE5). I tried playing it using a more cover based approach, but the cover system is just a total headache and more trouble than it's worth.

Even aiming seems a lot more difficult, in RE5 I was able to pick off headshots at will, or target specific limbs with ease. In this game it's much more of a chore.

Here's hoping all I need is some practice...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Having gotten used to the controls and the new mechanics, I'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more. I just replayed the Chris demo with Piers and had a total blast. I stopped trying to stagger the enemies to set up melee attacks and just played it like it was a more traditional TPS and it worked out much better. That anti-materiel rifle Piers has is amazing to use, and especially satisfying if you use that quick shot to blast the Javo away up close. The aiming felt a lot better once I changed the rifle to a semi automatic too.

I even managed to make good use of the cover system during the sections where snipers show up, although it's still fiddly as hell.

I still have the Leon and Jake demos to try, but I'm fully full on looking forward to this release now.

Phew.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

smuh posted:

Never really understood the folks who said RE5 was too serious. I mean I guess the developers might have been serious with it, but man there is something wrong with you if you aren't grinning like gently caress at the cutscenes and marveling how they got every single horrible b-movie cliche into one game.

Chris and Sheva play the entire thing completely straight, but every other character in the game is a hilarious, raving, campy maniac. All this RE5 talk has me thinking I might make my brother help me finish up my Professional run so I can finally get that platinum.

I've just had an extreme make-ovah!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Thievery posted:

Chris's "Oh, that's why" is the best line in the game.

Actually, I think we all know the greatest line in the game belongs to Mr Albert Wesker...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I know there's a shop locally who will break the street date and put RE6 on the selves either tomorrow or Saturday, whenever their copies arrive. But I guess an extra 3-4 day wait is worth the 3 free mercenaries maps I get with Amazon.

drat you pre-order DLC for doing your job.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Luckily for us in the UK, we get all three with the one pre-order. In America it's one map per retailer, which is a kick in the nuts.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

whaley posted:

I have loved Resident Evil since the very first and I can't believe they have suddenly turned it into a wrestling game

It's because they know how awesome the wrestling moves are.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

fauxical posted:

So the game sucks. I don't think that this is taking anyone by surprise. Good riddance and hopefully they try to innovate with the next game like with RE4 instead of this 3rd person shooter poo poo.

But... RE4 practically invented the modern day 3rd person shooter???

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

fauxical posted:

And now there are better franchises that do it.

I'm not disputing that, clearly RE6 has some problems, I just don't understand the hostility that the game receives for simply being a third person shooter, when it's part of a series that defined the genre.

I'll find out for myself just how bad or good it is tomorrow.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Christ, that prologue plus the first half hour of Leon's campaign are absolutely diabolical. Things finally seem to get going once you hit the demo area, but my god that introduction was poor.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I quite disliked the most of the first chapter with Leon, but then my brother showed up and we co-oped through the second chapter and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more.

Then we played a few rounds of mercenaries, which seemed much more fun than the main game.

What skills are people going for? The breakaway one seems essential, since the grabs take off an utterly ridiculous amount of health and they are quite difficult to break out of without that particular skill equipped. I tried out the critical hit one too, but it didn't seem to make all that much difference.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Haha, last night when I went to login to RE.NET it asked me to pick my language and presented me with a series of flags, and it was only with teeth gritted with resentment that I clicked on the american flag.

They must have got some flack for that, because the english option is now half stars and stripes and half union jack.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Crowetron posted:

I'm really enjoying 6, but 5 had much tighter controls, a way better beginning, and a hugely superior antagonist. Plus, instead of Josh "LEGEND" Stone, we get some Matt Damon-looking douche named Piers.

I'm 100% confident that if Josh Stone was Chris's coop partner this game would have received 10/10s across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

From my experience with the Leon campaign, it's not as simple as saying 6 is a step towards straight up action. The first hour of the game is a lot more slowly paced and less action oriented than 6, and then once you reach the Cathedral it alows right down again gets rather puzzle heavy, in a way that RE5 never did at all.

It's less of a step in a single direction, and more a sprawl into every direction they could think of.