Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So in Europe there's a pretty massive Japanese games sale on PSN tomorrow that this thread may be interested in, including a bundle of every single RE game on PSN for ~£40. The individual numbered games don't seem to be on sale, though.

quote:

Resident Evil Super Bundle (Not available in Germany) (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July)
Was €69.99/AU$99.95/£59.99, now €49.99/AU$69.95/£39.99
Additional 15% discount for PS Plus members

Resident Evil Revelations (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July)
Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£19.99, now €14.99/AU$17.95/£10.99
Additional 20% discount for PS Plus members

Resident Evil: Chronicles HD Collection (Not available in Germany)
Was €26.99/AU$40.95/£21.99, now €10.99/AU$16.45/£8.99

RESIDENT EVIL CODE: Veronica X
Was €19.99/AU$29.95/£15.99, now €9.99/AU$14.95/£7.99

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Not available in Germany)
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €6.99/AU$10.45/£5.79

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €7.49/AU$11.25/£6.19

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Was €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99, now €6.99/AU$10.45/£5.79

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Did I totally imagine this or did one of the games (CODE: Veronica? Or Wesker's Report?) explain that something like only 10% of humans are susceptible to t-virus infection, which is how the player characters can get bitten a billion times without turning?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

In any event, the controls seem to me to be tailor-made to make the game as unwieldy as possible. Seems like an odd choice if the game was encouraging you to fight it out and kill everything...
Are you really saying the controls were unwieldy on purpose?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As I understand it RE6 got fairly heavily patched to make things nicer - I only played it post-patch and loving loved it, got all the campaign achievements. Playing it all in co-op surely helped, though.

Playing Revelations now and it's fun but I really miss the extra mechanics of 6, and diving around like a nutjob.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I booted up RE6 for the first time in months recently for an EX3 ticket event and read some patch note about making QTEs automatic as a toggle? I think?

I'm sure I didn't make that up. Didn't try it, though. That recent Castlevania had that as an option, too.

Personally I don't mind QTEs. I kind of like them. That's the only way I can explain loving both RE6 and Heavy Rain.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

smenj posted:

I don't remember this being the case when I played the PC version a few months ago. Perhaps you're thinking of the easiest difficulty, which does QTEs automatically by default? Maybe that was patched in.
I checked and yeah it's a global toggle as well, now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Goddamn the loot lust that Revelations is giving me is sweet. Kind of sad I wrote it off after playing the demo and only just got it. On the other hand, it only cost £6.

I wonder how a Raid Mode equivalent is going to factor into Revelations 2, with it's episodic nature.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So does Revelations 2 play more like the first one or 6? Because I finished the first one and enjoyed it but got all the achievements in 6 because it was just so fun to dive around and poo poo. Revelations HD felt so restricted in comparison.

I mean I'll still probably get it but being more like 6 would make me get it sooner.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Do you have to unlock raid mode levels in this one?

My brother and I both got the first but he only bought it for raid mode and had no interest in playing the campaign solo, so we were pretty cheesed to discover that even though I'd unlocked all the levels I still couldn't play them with him.

Tell me they changed that!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I will never understand why they made nuNemesis more like old Mr X but I still enjoyed RE3make for what it was.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

It was literally because they had the AI for Mr X from RE2make laying around so they designed Nemesis around it. That's it.

And the Mr X AI is just basically roaming Jack from RE7. They got a lot of mileage out of the "wander aimlessly through the play space then attack on sight" routine they made.
Well no, because he doesn't work like that. You get to a fairly open area with puzzley bits, you run around and do the puzzles, Nemesis turns up in a predefined place and time and you run away through a corridor or stop and shoot him and move on to the next part of the game. Repeat.

My problem is that he's NOT like Mr X, or Jack, or Lady Dimitrescu. He's a set piece and that's it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paris would be a pretty neat location to visit, even if Capcom seems intent on not featuring specific real world locations for their games.
Onimusha 3 is right there, bud!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't normally finish a new RE three times in a row but man did I get into Village

Not the best times or anything but I'm proud of myself regardless, most games I go minimum effort and play on easy, it's usually only From Software games that I do the hard stuff and get the platinums.

On Village of Shadows difficulty the third time through the game with an infinite magnum it's baaasically a cakewalk until the final stretch with mutated Heisenberg and [spoiler]Chris where they took away my good guns and plentiful healing items so I couldn't use them as a crutch.

Fun game.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 13, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is it just me or did RE6 on the PS360 get something patched in that let you turn off the QTE stuff, which isn't present in the newer versions?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Well that's making my replay now many years later more annoying than I expected it to be.

It feels really dated now, I'm glad we largely moved beyond that bullshit.

I wonder why they dropped it for the new versions? Unless I'm being really dense.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

clockworx posted:

VOS life

*Me fighting Heisenberg 50 times* Ugh, this absolutely sucks
*Me finally beating Heisenberg* YESSSS!!!!
*Me trying to get through Chris' campaign* Ugh, this poo poo right after the Heisenberg fight?
*Me beating the two giant wolves after using all my grenades and health injector* Yes, I can do this!!
*Me watching a youtube later and realizing I could have just run by them, and I'm stuck with my save without an extra health and 5 grenades* :suicide:
Lol I didn't even notice they were there until my 4th play through of the game!

Urias Strajer is the real tricky part of that section in VOS...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

I didn't have any problem with him, it took me waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many tries to get past the final section before him though.
That's hilarious, because I got past that part first try but took maybe 10 to get past Urias. Huh.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Then I got killed by a random lycan in the next part because I didn't expect there to be any enemies. I heard the Heisenberg fight is some major bs on VoS (it was pretty easy on hardcore).
i didn't come close to dying to Heisenberg on anything but VoS, where I died about 30 times. You can only be hit a couple of times and it takes a lot of very accurate weak spot shooting to avoid being hit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I played through RE7 the day it came out with my brother (it was a big deal, we both have families and live in different towns, it was an event) and haven't touched it since then.

We kind of did the same thing with RE8 but didn't even get out of Castle Demitrescu because we started it so late, but since then I've played through it on every difficulty. In my mind they were very similar games.

I'm just now going back to 7 and holy poo poo they are completely different! I'd absolutely forgotten how horror focused it is. I also hate this place, because every time I have to come back here for a specific reason I know what's going to be there:

The composition of that view is loving great. That light is really unnatural and off putting. The floor is really dirty, there's junk around, you know it's not a good place.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a very good trick in horror, to have lighting that obscures more than it illuminates.
Yeah it makes the void way more creepy than if it had just been a black doorway.

By comparison I don't think Village really unsettled me even once.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

I feel like the gunplay in RE8 really needs some work or something. Or maybe its just the guns im using are underpowered, but so far most of the combat has been underwhelming. Not even as satisfying as RE7. I think it might be just because how underpowered a lot of my weapons feel even against something as basic as Lycans.
Shoot 'em in the head

Edit: or glowing weak spot

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Blocking recording for the entire duration of RE7 is baffling

Why

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

I have some records of RE7 though.

I think RE2 had a similar thing but it was only limited to HDR mode.

I assume its the same for 7, try disabling HDR.

I think it's simply because it distorts the image quality or something on non HDR displays?
on whaaaat

Yeah on PS4 if you record with HDR turned on the colours are hosed up, but they fixed that when playing PS4 games on PS5. I've never seen another game block it for that reason before! I've recorded two full runs of RE2 but maybe I had HDR turned off...

Thanks! I'll try that. The built in stuff is way easier than using my capture device...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any evidence for the hearsay that RE3 was intended to be part of the RE2 package (or DLC) but production issues caused it to slip too much?

When you think of it as an add on for RE2make it feels like way better value, and it's downsides are way more forgivable.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

amigolupus posted:

If you're trying to get the RE experience as-is, it might be worth going through RE5 solo so you can experience what their intended design was like for a player, warts and all. It's true that playing it with a friend makes the whole thing less tedious, but it kind of papers over the flaws of the partner AI.
Why is playing it solo experiencing the intended design but co-op isn't?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

evidence is a mixture of leaked concept stuff from duskgolem and the cvx dude who did the book with devs and stuff from devs ive read over the years.
I really want a follow up to that book, there's got to be some juicy stuff around RE6...

And thanks, that makes sense!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

I give up on Heisenberg on VoS. In practice I know what to do and I feel like I'm doing ok for at least half the fight but he has so much HP I can't keep up the attrition that long.

It's like the fight is just barely out of my skill level.
You can do it! You've beaten much harder challenges!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

What's wrong with the book? I've thought about picking it up a few times but books about gaming seem incredibly hit or miss.
I only really bought it because of the novelty that I used to argue on GameFAQs with Alex 20 years ago about Resident Evil but I really enjoyed it once it got going. It's at its worst towards the beginning because it spends way too much time explaining very basic or well understood concepts like survival horror - a really strange choice because anybody reading that book is probably going to have played a Resident Evil game. I didn't enjoy the parts where it's detailing the different enemies, like I don't need a paragraph about Hunters, thanks.

But once it got into the making of the games, rather than just describing them, I found it quite compelling. It probably helps that I've never really looked into that sort of history on my own so it was basically all new to me - one of the few big things I knew about was the DMC connection but the rest was mostly novel.

I think if you're already an RE super fan there's probably not much new information, but for me it was great.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Crowetron posted:

The dodge system in Rev 1 is very weird. It's not as much of a mess as the one in the original RE3, but it seems really weirdly designed and implemented. I often wonder if the game didn't have a dodge system until very late in development and the one in the final game was slapped together really quickly. It never feels right, like even if you stand around practicing on a goo-man it always feels like something that happens on accident.
Oh, word? I'm playing Rev1 for the first time since it came out on the 360 and I just got to the part where you wake up with no weapons and I didn't even remember it had dodging until then, but I dodged everything without any issues... This was on a PS4 with a controller, though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

I just started playing Revelations 2 after dropping it a while back. My partner character keeps dying because they aren't smart enough to avoid attacks and it pisses me off. That or they keep draining my herbs.

Is this supposed to be this frustrating.
...You know you can switch between them, yeah?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah but the constant swapping back and forth in combat just to keep the other one from dying is really not doing it for me. I don't enjoy this kind of gameplay.
Maybe try an easier difficulty?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I'd love to see Jake suplexing zombies in the netflix show like in RE6.

Resident Evil Vendetta had a cool John Wick secuence with Leon and Chris and I want more of that poo poo.
That was some real gunkata poo poo

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

In other news, not sure if it was posted but they added the "all unlocks" DLC for $5. I had almost everything done but am terrible at Mercenaries so $5 for the lightsaber was worth it to me.
Oh sweet! Wanted to do a melee only run for my 5th, but hadn't plucked up the courage/desire to start on Mercenaries for the lightsaber. I will happily pay £3.99 to bypass that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's called "Extra Content Shop All Access Voucher" on PSN, if that helps...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Oh sweet! Wanted to do a melee only run for my 5th, but hadn't plucked up the courage/desire to start on Mercenaries for the lightsaber. I will happily pay £3.99 to bypass that.
I got the Knives Out, Dashing Dad and Frugal Father trophies this morning using just the lightsaber. That was fun!

I made it much harder for myself by going for the Snake Oil trophy because I didn't realise I already got that a month ago... made the Chris section needlessly tense by never healing and using nothing but the knife... Urias Whatshisface has a lot of health when you just have a knife and can't use the gimmick of that fight I tell you what.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

Yeah I was doing the no healing run that time too so it was super fun slashing his ankles
I was all about that left kneecap

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Chris would 100% fit in as a Diamond Dog, the only question is whether he or Venom Snake can punch better.
Chris doesn't need cybernetics, he clearly wins

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good point. Now I want a cigar-smoking, eyepatched Chris seizing control of BSAA and establishing it as a world-class superpower, becoming the semi-tragic main villain for RE9.
This, but unironically?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, I meant every word of it!
It turns out all it would have taken to avoid it all was to literally have a single conversation about it but he was too far gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Some RE7 mechanics didn't click for me. Ethan moving like molasses is one and while I only died twice on the chainsaw fight, I didn't find it enjoyable.
Were you kicking the bodies into him to stun then attacking? Struggling to think why it would be tricky for people...