Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Ethan being infected makes total sense, and because the game takes place over about a day it makes sense he wasn't fully taken over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DeadButDelicious posted:

Wait which sample did Ada give Wesker? The G-Virus? Because I thought that Separate Ways ending established that she pulled a fast one on Albert and gave him a dud sample instead of the one she takes from Leon at the end of RE4.

No, the Las Plagas one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Piggyback guides used to be absolutely gorgeous objects, as well as being useful. I probably still have the MGS2 and the FFX-2 ones kicking around somewhere, and I see they're still making great big lovely hardback ones too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Am I the only one who liked Code Veronica?

I enjoyed it fine, but as someone who was low on ammo by the time I got to the Tyrant-On-A-Plane fight I understand the criticisms of it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Just redownloaded it on Xbox 360 man this game slaps. It brings back a modern feel of the RE feel

edit: Steve Burnside LMAO

"FATHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Also hell yeah that survival knife. :black101: Wish Claire didn't forget her sick knife skills in Revelations 2.

She can stab pretty good in that, it's not her fault she's only got a crappy knife that she found in an old Russian prison.

I really should buy and play through the non-free Revelations 2 episodes, if only for Barry The Walking Armory and his dad jokes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

played the demo and had fun, but it took me waaaaayyy too long to figure out how to get out of the main area after getting the knife. im a big dummy

having just finished The Evil Within 2, which was excellent and I recommend it, im having a hankering for some more action-oriented resident evils. I got resident evil 5 in a bundle awhile ago and i want to check it out, but it will be solo. I heard that coop is way better obviously, but am i doomed if i try to muscle through with the ai partner?

I also have revelations for some reason, would that be more up my alley?

I replayed RE5 recently and found that as long as I split the weapon types between me and Sheva (I went with a pistol and shotgun and gave her a rifle and a machine gun) it was fine. I also gave her most of the healing items because I'm lazy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Backhand posted:

Hmm. I never really thought about it before but I guess you're right. Horrible things happen in RE games, but only to nameless, faceless people that are only rarely (and barely) humanized. The good guys and the bad guys are fairly clearly defined, the guilty eventually always get punished, and you're never really helpless. Gory as it is, I guess the morality of it all is pretty simplistic.

I mean mostly. Steve Burnside is annoying but really doesn't deserve what he gets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mindblast posted:

Absolutely. I just didn't even get close to triggering that, because the idea of going into a room that's a dead end until you unlock the latch while he's on your tail didn't make sense to me. So on my first playthrough me and Jack just ran circles through the two sets of doors connecting to the living room. Yakety Sax would've been appropriate.

I genuinely thought I'd got far enough away from him to be able to get the hatch open and jump down and BOY was him grabbing me and lopping off my foot a surprise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Night10194 posted:

They even say this in game. This is why they wanted the Terrasave employees for the experiment in the first place: They'd all been in biohazard situations before and thus had a good chance of staying calm.

Just the rest of those losers were no Claire 'This isn't even my first sadistic lunatic prison island' Redfield.

I genuinely don't know how Pedro made it as far as the village to be honest. Also, Gabe at least has a really good reason for getting scared.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Call me a weirdo but I have absolutely no problem with tank controls or complicated control schemes at all. I even prefer playing the og System Shock with its original controls. v:shobon:v

I know this is a while back but System Shock with it's original controls is an absolute horror show. Leaning left and right is fine but having to move, turn and look up and down with keyboard controls as well as adjust your stance (prone/crouch/standing) and THEN having to aim manually with the mouse... Honestly I can't work out how I played through that game three times when I was a kid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Night10194 posted:

One of the best parts of PE2 is slowly realizing how completely loving bananas the cultists living in that bunker were, then having it all go completely over the top when you get to the actual Neo Ark and see they constructed a loving underground rainforest in the Mojave.

God, I ran through PE2 more times than I did RE4 - I don't know if I ever saved up enough for the massive laser cannon thing though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was kind of surprised to see someone upthread saying the metal detector box in CV was bad. I thought it was a fun way of creating tension. The only thing I didn't like was how you could accidentally leave stuff in there that you might want later on.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

It's also annoying in a "suspension of disbelief" kind of way. There's no reason why you shouldn't be swamped in an infinite number of the things whenever you're in a room with any kind of visible mold, makes killing them feel kind of pointless. They're literally coming out of the walls, after all.

Presumably there's a limit on how many there are, though. Based on that note you find listing how many of the people they abducted died or "turned".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Im glad we live in a timeline where both REmake 1 and 2 exist. Both are imo 10/10 games.

Now if only MGS and FF got the same treatment.

I think you are forgetting Twin Snakes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Just half-watched the first live-action movie (had it in the background) while utterly, utterly pissed out of my loving skull, and for all its obvious faults and bafflingly stupid poo poo I have to begrudgingly respect how it stayed self-contained in most respects and didn't explicitly take a massive loving turd on anything game-related, with the exception of the Licker.

1) No it doesn't turn into a Hunter once it eats someone's face.
2) That CG is so loving bad it looks like it literally has poo poo for brains.

Still a crummy movie but it's still somehow a charmingly dumb "SHOOT THE MONSTERS" way to spend time, and it didn't try to rewrite much of what we'd grown to know from 6 years of videogames.

The sequels, though... Oh yeah, they took care of that.

The sequels are just a barrage of "Paul WS Anderson makes movies where his wife does cool poo poo".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Wesker was also a grown man who went full Ubermensch and tried to wipe out a major portion of humanity. I figure at that point, he doesn't get the sympathy I have for a little girl who brainfucks everyone around her kinda just for existing. :v:

For reals, though, how old in real years is Evie? Does anyone know? I think she might be six or seven, even if she looks like an old woman by the end there.

I think the argument is that Wesker kidnapped as a child and brainwashed as part of a specific Ubermensch program. I have SOME sympathy for him, but that's outweighed by enjoying his over the top campy nonsense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

RE8 should star Chris but it's very obviously Krauser in an unconvincing disguise.

Like, he's hid the beret under a Chris wig and you can still see it and he's drawn over the scar in flesh tone lipstick.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's not a game that I'd recommend ever playing alone. Moments like "oh god, kill the titmonster, kill it now. oh god i hope there isn't another one" made it worth it every time I managed to find someone to play it with, though.

There's a lot of fun to be had in the fact that Leon objectively does more harm than good in his campaign. So many people are dead because he helped them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

amigolupus posted:

I really didn't like this aspect of the campaign since it felt like the people writing RE6 took cues from the cynicism and pointlessness of other zombie series like The Walking Dead.

Cardiovorax posted:

I can only see the most superficial of relationships there. Leon goes places and then people tend to die, but it's mostly incidental and not really immediately the fault of anyone, really.

If there's one thing I really appreciate about Resident Evil as a series, it is that it has never gone for that whole "man is the real monster" none. No. No, stupid internet people. It is the zombies who are the real monsters, because they are reanimated flesh-eating corpses. Get it right already.

Kibayasu posted:

You can definitely blame the church and the plane on Leon at least.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's not TWD-style malicious carelessness, anyway. Who expects a random tit-zombie?

Yeah, it's this really, it's not that he does stuff that he knows is going to be harmful, it's that he's doing the zombie hunting version of comedy pratfalls wherever he sets foot. It's not his fault the bus crashes, it's not his fault there was a tit-gas-demon in the church basement, none of it's his fault, it's just funny to me that the universe is determined to ruin everything around him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

leon saves helena, doesnt she count?

I was going to say that as a player character she doesn't count, but then there's what happens to Piers, so yeah, a fair shout. I almost wish he didn't save her, her constant "I'll tell you when we get to the next plot element" is tiresome.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I feel like Hunnigan must just automatically add "because of the zombies" to the end of every sentence Leon reports in with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You could totally do an "X-Com but it's the BSAA" game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh man, an outbreak sequel/reimagining with the RE7 engine would be amazing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rikimaru posted:

It’s actually a pretty fun game.

Counterpoint - it WOULD be a fun game if any of your shooting felt like it was actually doing something. I really like the idea of it and what it's trying to do but the gunplay feels absolutely awful.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

I have actually, i mean i wouldnt force that on anyone but lack of save options is part of the survival horror experience. Going through with your choices rather than resetting. Hitman used to do this well, limiting saves per mission for the top diff.

And AvP '99 as well, if memory serves.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mindblast posted:

Why does nemesis look like he skipped leg day. In that full pic. Maybe its the shadowing but his lower coat looks like its transparent.

The parasite is only interested in arm and chest gains

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aces High posted:

You mean like at the beginning of the new Doom when you destroy the monitor to end a cutscene but then have to sit through unskippable cutscenes for the rest of the game?

That's actually something that I think REmake2 got right, they made everything that wasn't player-controlled skippable, which seems to be something that cannot be done in any other game

I didn't think that the "trashing the monitor" bit was supposed to be a "lol, no cutscenes in this game" joke but more "Doomguy does not give a flying gently caress what Optimus Prime is telling him and is going to ignore him all game" joke. Which the stuff with the "very delicate" crystals later on reinforces.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You know what would be fun? If instead of remaking RE4, which we've established is largely unecessary, they went back to some of those failed prototypes and got something out of them. I want to fight hallucinatory dolls, black fog and and a hookman in either a castle or an airship or ideally both.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've seen this sentiment many times over the years, but Capcom has dropped that approach for a reason. The concept looked cool but the gameplay with Resident Evil's pace was mind-numbingly dull. When they expanded on it while trying to keep the gameplay engaging they had no choice but to convert the project into another game altogether.

That project became Devil May Cry

Yeah, I know it's probably not workable. Although the resident evil wiki suggests that the issue with the "hallucination" version is the gamecube couldn't render the regular and hallucinatory versions of the rooms at once or something? If it was a hardware issue we should be past that by now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

D.C. Douglas is a master of his craft.

And is the #1 Boglin Boy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Revelations 2 opens in a prison if I remember correctly. It has some of the vibe you're describing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

helena's subplot was hilarious. usually, when someone keeps leon in the dark it either doesn't really affect him or even benefits him in the end. in 6, helena's side trip to the church and improbable funerary catacombs was completely useless. it didn't help with the problem at hand or accomplish much of anything besides killing yet another boss. also, she helped carry out a terrorist attack that killed the president.

Don't forget that it also killed a church full of survivors!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

yeah its kind of interesting dead space got brought up recently especially in reference to how 3 kind of killed it, because RE5 and Dead Space 3 both suffer from this weird design of having a 12 hour game with a narrative focus that you're heavily encouraged to play entirely co-op.

are there any other games that have ever tried this? its such a weird choice. in dead space 3 you also miss a pretty large chunk of story if you don't play co-op, too. it just seems so impractical.

Kane and Lynch maybe? The first one definitely encouraged coop by having one player get hallucination sequences that the other player could clearly see weren't happening

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Do I have to reload my completed save to get new game plus? Because I went to new game and all my stuff is gone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yep. You select continue using your completed save data

Ta - I guess I was expecting a new game plus option on the title screen!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

When you got done with the credits and all that it should have prompted you to save a "Completed game" data, you load that for NG+. If you didn't save that, then yeah, you need to go beat it again.

Definitely saved it, don't THINK I saved over it with my first new game save. Oh well, worst case I've got the unlimited ammo LEMI now, that'll see me through the early parts of the game and let me build up big stacks of pistol ammo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

Gross, I'd have gone for the WCX or Dragoon depending on what level of difficulty you beat it on and how many points you got. :)

Normal and not enough to get unlimited ammo on anything else I don't think!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neil McDonough taking a second crack at being an antagonist in a videogame movie is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

SEO analysis finds that people browsing youtube are a certain percentage more likely to click on a video if it's got a dumb face in the thumbnail, monetization incentives demand that everyone does it for more views, the internet is stupid.

See also why they all have massive text and arrows pointing at things that have been circled. The arrows and circles may have nothing to do with the actual content of the video but people just be loving those attention grabbing things ¦ EXPLAINED